Forum Settings
Forums

TV Anime of MUV-LUV Alternative Total Eclipse Confirmed

New
Jul 23, 2011 9:56 PM

Feb 2008
According to the official website, age's spin off novel & manga series "Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse" was announced to get a TV anime adaptation. It will be aired in 2012.

Muv-Luv AL TE Anime official website
Video Announcement
Total Eclipse novel official website

Muv-Luv Alternative is age's adult PC game released in 2006. Its manga adaptation has been serialized in Monthly Comic Dengeki Daioh since 2007. Total Eclipse is a spin-off novel of Alternative.

Yoshida Hirohiko (Yoshimune Koki), the President of age, posted on his twitter that he wanted to animate the original "Muv-Luv" and "Muv-Luv Alternative", but it's relatively easier to find the sponsors of "Total Eclipse" and another spin-off "Euro Front".

Source: Yoshida (Yoshimune)'s twitter

News credit: Socom

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse on MAL
NaruleachAug 2, 2011 4:18 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 23, 2011 10:00 PM

Sep 2008
I'm stoked even though I know nothing about it.
All I care is that the characters are sexy.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2011 10:04 PM

Jan 2010
Looks like I gotta get to reading the VNs.

I've been meaning to for a while now.
Ok™
Jul 23, 2011 10:08 PM
May 2010
Are my eyes deceiving me? A TE anime without the original trilogy?

Hopefully they make enough money off of this to animate the actual Alternative storyline, that would be glorious.
Jul 23, 2011 10:11 PM

Apr 2010
interesting... but why doesnt the normal muvluv get one? or did i miss something...

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Jul 23, 2011 10:12 PM

Sep 2009
Yes, a bit strange they don't adapt Muv-Luv and Muv-Luv Alternative but still it's a good news. Kimi Nozo was adapted well and I still like Akane Maniax adaptation

And most funny that VN is still only trial while LN for now just compilation of short-stories
Nachtwandler_21Jul 23, 2011 10:26 PM
Jul 23, 2011 10:27 PM
Jan 2010
Alternative f-ing where?
But it's still good news, I suppose.
Jul 23, 2011 10:37 PM

Nov 2007
I hope this does well. Not having the original trilogy animated is a damn shame.

Anime page is up.
Jul 23, 2011 10:53 PM

Apr 2010
Looks awesome. I'm down.

Jul 23, 2011 11:05 PM
Apr 2011
OMG!!! FINALLY!! BUT WHY IS TOTAL ECLIPSE GETTING IT?? Why not the original Alternative or Unlimited? Ah well better plots and story materials anyways. At least one does not need to understand the original Muv Luv universe to enjoy an anime adaptation of this one.
Jul 23, 2011 11:10 PM

Jun 2009
How will it function without the original. I am interested to see.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jul 23, 2011 11:24 PM
Nov 2010
Hmm, this one seems pretty interesting...
Jul 24, 2011 12:32 AM

Jan 2010
why do the spin-off gets the anime adaption

I guess its ecchi ... and i am gonna watch it xD
Jul 24, 2011 2:29 AM

Jun 2008
That's great!

I can understand why the original trilogy will not be adapted, they are really long and you need to read MuvLuv before reading MLA. But you can understand Total Eclipse without MLA and it doesn't need to be 52 episodes long.
Jul 24, 2011 2:56 AM

Nov 2007
Araya said:
That's great!

I can understand why the original trilogy will not be adapted, they are really long and you need to read MuvLuv before reading MLA. But you can understand Total Eclipse without MLA and it doesn't need to be 52 episodes long.
It's understandable due to the length but at the same time, there are factors that make it baffling as to why the trilogy hasn't been adapted. The franchise has been popular in Japan since the release of Extra/Unlimited and Alternative has been rated at the top of the charts for years. age knew that they had struck gold with the Alternative universe; that's why Chronicles and Total Eclipse exist.

I wonder if I'm grossly overestimating its value to sponsors but I really don't think there's any way it couldn't sell to the masses. Appealing mecha designs, a likable cast of characters, a convoluted political setting, emotionally wrenching tragedies, etc. It just seems like a formula for success in anime form. It's somewhat comparable to Geass, which was successful, except it doesn't devolve into a trainwreck.
Jul 24, 2011 3:47 AM

Jun 2009
Awww.... so it was true. Hoping they adapt all novels and do it good. But if someone'll tl the vn version i'll sooo read it.
But w/e, animated Yui. <3
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jul 24, 2011 3:53 AM
May 2010
XJC said:
It's understandable due to the length but at the same time, there are factors that make it baffling as to why the trilogy hasn't been adapted. The franchise has been popular in Japan since the release of Extra/Unlimited and Alternative has been rated at the top of the charts for years. age knew that they had struck gold with the Alternative universe; that's why Chronicles and Total Eclipse exist.

I wonder if I'm grossly overestimating its value to sponsors but I really don't think there's any way it couldn't sell to the masses. Appealing mecha designs, a likable cast of characters, a convoluted political setting, emotionally wrenching tragedies, etc. It just seems like a formula for success in anime form. It's somewhat comparable to Geass, which was successful, except it doesn't devolve into a trainwreck.

I had always assumed that the main deterrent from an anime adaptation would be Extra and Unlimited, which have absolutely nothing to do with your second paragraph. They may be popular among age's fanbase and the visual novel crowd, but I can see very little saleable qualities in them for anime watchers.

Extra is a below average harem/romance comedy that has absolutely no unique factors to it besides being extremely over-the-top in some areas. I know Japan often likes this crap, but it's been done better in anime form many times in the past and still not done too well in terms of BD sales. Unlimited is essentially the same thing once you finally get past the fascinating scenario they present you with but never actually expand on.

So essentially you'd be relying on the visual novel fans at that point, which often doesn't directly translate into BD sales... especially if they don't like the adaptation. If you look at it from this perspective, testing the waters with a Total Eclipse anime is a great idea.

On a side note, it'd be interesting if they manage to make Extra and Unlimited better if they do adapt it. It's not like that would be hard...
11223344Jul 24, 2011 3:58 AM
Jul 24, 2011 4:03 AM
May 2009
There are a couple of reasons why animating Muvluv is a bad bad idea.

Muvluv Extra SUCKS. A LOT. It's not THAT important, but still. Especially the "main"-routes suck a lot, and those would be the ones they animate, leaving the only good character out anyway.

Muvluv Unlimited is important but still not that good. Well, it has mostly the same weak characters, but is generally better than MLE. It mostly traded the stupid harem-elements for infodumping and trainings-plot. (Although the harem-elements come back, and then it becomes pretty bad as well because of some other things)
Adapting it is a bit hard. It doesn't have too much interesting stuff going on, however leaving out the other stuff would completely destroy the "this is your training" aspect. MLA wouldn't have as much "impact" without MLU.

Adapting those two parts need at the very least 26 episodes and that would already make the experience much worse. Given that MLE is far from good and MLU is maybe "barely" good... the anime would suck.

Then comes the highly praised MLA, mostly because it has superb special effects and presentation. An anime would obviously heavily suffer from "normal" animation and would need a HUGE budget. Combine that with the length (and thus "epicness") of MLA and you have another problem. I'm not sure if even 50 episodes would be enough for a good adaption. It also has some pacing problems which is less of a problem in the VN, but in the anime it would suck if you have 3 episodes of infodumping going on.

Some things just don't work as an adaption. You can animate highly praised VN, like http://myanimelist.net/anime/9922/Oretachi_ni_Tsubasa_wa_Nai . But look at the rating. That happens if you don't have the budget and episodes to make it work for those who don't know the VNs. And MLA can't even be adapted without adapting mediocre stuff before.
So with a normal budget you can only animate something as fanservice. I think they made a good choice.
Kiru_im_UfoJul 24, 2011 4:09 AM
Jul 24, 2011 4:31 AM
May 2010
Kiru_im_Ufo said:
Some things just don't work as an adaption. You can animate highly praised VN, like http://myanimelist.net/anime/9922/Oretachi_ni_Tsubasa_wa_Nai . But look at the rating. That happens if you don't have the budget and episodes to make it work for those who don't know the VNs. And MLA can't even be adapted without adapting mediocre stuff before.
So with a normal budget you can only animate something as fanservice. I think they made a good choice.

Apparently Japan didn't think so, as it sold terribly. This would presumably be due to the anime's main viewerbase, the VN fans, hating it for being a terrible adaptation.
(Or were you referring to Total Eclipse only being adapted?)

Well, visual novel adaptations sucking is nothing new. I still think Extra and Unlimited could work if the animation studio did some heavy editing... but I guess a VN adaptation being better than the original is unheard of.
Yes, not even the renowned adaptation masters named KyoAni could pull it off.
11223344Jul 24, 2011 4:36 AM
Jul 24, 2011 4:54 AM

Sep 2009
> but I guess a VN adaptation being better than the original is unheard of.

Yes. Most of VN adaptations sucks but I'm still laugh than VN-fans saying that ALL VN adaptations sucks. It looks the same as people saying "book is always better than it's adaptation". Just understand that source and adaptation are different things. If plot and characters were adapted quite good that's enough to see adaptation as good one cause it has some advantages, which VN did not.

And any good adaptation could m,ake people read the VN
Jul 24, 2011 5:43 AM
May 2009
Iisan- said:

(Or were you referring to Total Eclipse only being adapted?)

Yes, I meant only adapting the spin off. It's afair not that long and sort of stand-alone.

Also not all adaptions suck, but those, which don't have enough episodes, do pretty much always.
Take the aforementioned Oretsuba, 12episodes for a VN which is almost double the length of the "lord of the rings" trilogy. Probably the worst case adaption, but pretty much all adaptions suck because of those length constraints and skipping too much.

A certain minimum time must be there or else everything crumbles. The more you can skip without totally destroying the story, the more the author of said story "sucks", because he/she obviously wrote stuff nobody needs for appreciating the work. Good works tend to obviously have not too much of that. A simple moege however is much easier to adapt because it's usually just a whole lot of slice of life which you can cut short without too much trouble. It will get harder with better works, even slice of life ones. Cutting the wrong parts will hurt a lot.

Shuffle is probably the only case where several do see the anime to be better than the VN. Especially the second half is pretty different from the VN, it also takes some stuff from the sequel etc.

The first season of Ef is another example, although that's not really an adaption, as it was made before the VN came out. Because of that it only follows the basic plot-line. (Season 2 however destroyed some key-scenes, meaning the VN is highly recommended for that)

It's not all that easy, but adapting MLE, MLU and MLA is probably never good as a standalone. MLE and MLU aren't good enough anyway and MLA is kinda too good, with most people saying "read it in one go" or "read the big arcs in one go". Anime have one episode per week. I just don't know how this could be working.
So once again: Adapting Total Eclipse is probably the best way to go.
Jul 24, 2011 5:46 AM

Nov 2007
Iisan- said:
Extra is a below average harem/romance comedy that has absolutely no unique factors to it besides being extremely over-the-top in some areas. I know Japan often likes this crap, but it's been done better in anime form many times in the past and still not done too well in terms of BD sales.
The fact that they still mass produce tripe that even the rather sub-par MLE surpasses is why I don't believe it should be a deterrent to an adaptation. Honestly, the one I would be the most worried about is Unlimited. It acts as an opening into the world of Alternative but nothing really happens (at least, in comparison to MLA) so there's hardly any sense of urgency. There's no fanservice to speak of to abuse, unlike in Extra, and the lack of anything seriously eventful will put off viewers seeking a more engaging sci-fi/mecha experience.

The way I see it, a two season run for Extra and Unlimited followed by a high budget series of movies for Alternative (Sadogashima, Yokohama, and Kashgar alone could fill entire movies) would be the best approach, a la Kara no Kyoukai.. MLE/U could be consolidated into a single season run, but I feel that would be detrimental to one of the series' greatest attractions: the characters. I'm thinking in the vein of Aria really. Origination really doesn't mean shit if you don't go through all the episodes of Animation and Natural first. On the other hand, many people don't reach Origination because they can't get through the first two series. It's a serious balance issue going back to the first problem, pacing/length.

Oh well, if Total Eclipse does well, I'll keep my fingers crossed. However, I remember that when rumors of this were popping up a month ago, the supposed script writer for the anime was not someone of particularly high caliber (basically, what he has worked on sucked ass). I can't find the source anymore though.

Nachtwandler_21 said:
Just understand that source and adaptation are different things.
I don't think anyone fails to understand this. Visual novels are massive in length, ranging up to over 100,000KB in text. It's understandable that it would be difficult to compress stories of that length into 13 or 26 episodes. This doesn't give bad adaptations a free pass though.

I'd say a bad adaptation is more likely to draw people to the source, actually. Umineko comes to mind immediately, though I suppose the fact that it was translated beforehand helped it. There were few people scrambling to read CLANNAD after it finished, except diehard Kyou and Tomoyo fans.
Jul 24, 2011 5:58 AM

Mar 2008
Guys...a quick question...
I have no knowledge of the VN and unless it has been translated, else I wouldn't get it anyway. But I see there are manga out for them. Anyone know if they're fairly close to the VN to give me a general idea of the story of Extra/Unlimited/Alternative or even Total Eclipse?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 24, 2011 6:05 AM

Nov 2007
kaminakun said:
Guys...a quick question...
I have no knowledge of the VN and unless it has been translated, else I wouldn't get it anyway. But I see there are manga out for them. Anyone know if they're fairly close to the VN to give me a general idea of the story of Extra/Unlimited/Alternative or even Total Eclipse?
The entire MuvLuv trilogy is translated. Extra and Unlimited are both packaged under one title, simply MuvLuv. Alternative's patch was never formally released and due to Amaterasu Translation's "negotiations" with age, none of the patches are available now anyway. If you go through certain channels however...

But no, I would not recommend reading the manga as a substitute.

Total Eclipse hasn't even been released as a visual novel as far as I know so there's not much to say there.
Jul 24, 2011 6:19 AM

Mar 2008
Thanks for the quick reply.

So I will try to find the VN to the trilogy (but maybe I'll skip the first one as it does not seem too appealing and I wouldn't miss out much as it's from a different universe ... I think).

Again, thanks ^.^
Jul 24, 2011 6:26 AM

Nov 2007
kaminakun said:
Thanks for the quick reply.

So I will try to find the VN to the trilogy (but maybe I'll skip the first one as it does not seem too appealing and I wouldn't miss out much as it's from a different universe ... I think).

Again, thanks ^.^
You can't skip Extra. Elements of Unlimited and Alternative depend heavily on Extra and it's just not the same without it. You will lack fundamental understanding of what's going on. Either way, MuvLuv locks you out of Unlimited if you haven't completed parts of Extra.

What you can skip are parts of Extra. Specifically, the routes that aren't Sumika and Meiya. Those are simply terrible.
Jul 24, 2011 6:42 AM

Mar 2008
Oops...didn't know that. Yeah, I found the game and now I realized what I must do.
Jul 24, 2011 8:22 AM

Nov 2008
will watch it
Jul 24, 2011 8:36 AM

Aug 2010
Don't know what this is, but I'm just gonna at least watch a few eps to see if t's any good....looks a bit ecchi

Jul 24, 2011 9:40 AM

Jul 2010
finally!! I will see one of ML series on TV!!! Well, Unlimited and Alternative was great, but Total Eclipse also good (read just 17 chapters and it look interesting).
Now i'm going to pray and bring sacrifices all gods that I know, for all ML series will be animated.
sorry, but my english is bad
Jul 24, 2011 10:13 AM
Jan 2010
oh god
Jul 24, 2011 12:36 PM

Jun 2009
TreF said:
Direction: Inagaki Takayuki (Rosario to Vampire, Marginal Prince)
Composition: Yamaguchi Hiroshi (Rosario to Vampire, Gate Keepers)

AW YEAH, YOU JUST KNOW THIS'LL BE A HIGH-QUALITY ADAPTATION

Oh f*ck! God knows they will completely abandon any serious story elements and turn it into a run of the mill harem....I feel murderous.....

About adapting Muv luv and Muv luv alternative. It would be easy to adapt muv luv. Do it this way. Animate Muv luv unlimited and just have small flashbacks to cover the important stuff in extra. I don't think Unlimited would take that many episodes. Maybe 13. All and all you would end up with a decent mecha anime with good direction.
When animating alternative cut down on the info dumping when possible. Also for the love of god cut down the melodrama. Those were alternatives biggest flaws. When something dramatic happened it was milked bone dry.

Putting Alternative in movies wouldn't work. One takes far to long and not enough climaxes. Two it's too small a time frame and would end up all rushed.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Jul 24, 2011 1:00 PM

Sep 2010
Just when I was planning on playing the game I see this. lol
Jul 24, 2011 1:02 PM
Apr 2011
I give it a try...
Jul 24, 2011 1:10 PM

Apr 2010
Nachtwandler_21 said:
> but I guess a VN adaptation being better than the original is unheard of.

Yes. Most of VN adaptations sucks but I'm still laugh than VN-fans saying that ALL VN adaptations sucks. It looks the same as people saying "book is always better than it's adaptation". Just understand that source and adaptation are different things. If plot and characters were adapted quite good that's enough to see adaptation as good one cause it has some advantages, which VN did not.

Problem is that most VNs are too long to really do justice in an anime. If they are given the time they are needed, like Clannad, they can work wonderfully. But if you decide to stick it to 24 episodes like Fate/Stay Night, it becomes a mess. Fate/Stay Night would have done a lot better with 75-100 episodes, but its tough to get that many episodes approved.

Jul 24, 2011 1:18 PM

Jun 2010
THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME!

About time they made an anime for this.
Jul 24, 2011 1:45 PM
Mar 2010
This looks kind of promising.
Jul 24, 2011 1:57 PM

Jun 2009
TreF said:
Direction: Inagaki Takayuki (Rosario to Vampire, Marginal Prince)
Composition: Yamaguchi Hiroshi (Rosario to Vampire, Gate Keepers)

AW YEAH, YOU JUST KNOW THIS'LL BE A HIGH-QUALITY ADAPTATION

Oh well... erm... the beach part will be good for sure, eh? :|
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jul 24, 2011 5:39 PM

Jun 2009
RyanSaotome said:
Fate/Stay Night would have done a lot better with 75-100 episodes, but its tough to get that many episodes approved.

You are joking....right?
If fate/stay night was 100 episodes long it would get dragged to high heaven. It would be terrible.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Jul 24, 2011 6:33 PM

Apr 2010
AidanAK47 said:
RyanSaotome said:
Fate/Stay Night would have done a lot better with 75-100 episodes, but its tough to get that many episodes approved.

You are joking....right?
If fate/stay night was 100 episodes long it would get dragged to high heaven. It would be terrible.

It took them 24 episodes to just do one route, and thats with taking out a lot of the character development parts inbetween. If you do all 3 routes, thats an easy 75, and up to 100 if you put in the character development parts as well.

Jul 24, 2011 6:34 PM
Oct 2009
I've seen the manga illustrations before, and they look pretty good. Maybe I'll check this out.
Jul 25, 2011 3:33 AM
Jul 2011
The prologue chapter of Total Eclipse had been made into a short, voiced visual-novel segment bundled with the Altered Fable fandisc of Muv-Luv Alternative back in 2007, so the following voice actors are pretty-much assured to reprise their roles:

Yuuya Bridges - Daisuke Ono
Yui Takamura - Mai Nakahara
Cryska Barchenowa - Hitomi Nabatame
Inia Sestina - Mamiko Noto
Vincent Lowell - Tomokazu Sugita
Tarisa Manandal - Sakura Nogawa
Ibrahim Doğulu - Rikiya Koyama

I'm waiting for who will voice the rest of the cast.
Jul 25, 2011 3:37 AM

Mar 2009
Pic looks good but the synopsis doesn't interest me.
Jul 25, 2011 5:35 AM

Jul 2009
turn around, bright eyes.
Jul 27, 2011 1:18 AM

Jun 2010
Does anyone know if Total Eclipse story is after Muv-luv Alternative?
Jul 27, 2011 3:00 AM
Jul 2011
Muv-Luv-er said:
Does anyone know if Total Eclipse story is after Muv-luv Alternative?

The prologue takes place in February 2001 with Yui being assigned to Project Prominence, while Chapter 1 takes place in May with Yuuya's transfer to Yukon Base. For comparison, Unlimited/Alternative starts on October 22, 2001.

As far as I know the latest events in the story take place before October. However, the TE light novels and manga are unfinished at this point so we don't know if the later part of the story (which I hope will be covered in the TV series) will overlap with either Unlimited or Alternative.
Jul 27, 2011 4:41 AM

Jun 2010
Thanks, wasn't too sure but now I'm good
Jul 27, 2011 6:21 PM

Feb 2009
Heh Heh, This is gonna be Delicious
I'am Thou And Thou Art I...And we're a HAPPY FAMILY!!!
Jul 28, 2011 1:25 AM

Jun 2009
Sounds like this might be a sort of pilot/PoC/whatever-you-call-it for a MLA adaptation. This is definitely a better idea than trying to half-ass an adaptation of MLE and hoping that it somehow succeeds.

Still, putting the R+V director on this was a major fuck-up. I hope age knows what they're doing.
Jul 28, 2011 1:34 AM
Jul 2011
DrHouse said:
Sounds like this might be a sort of pilot/PoC/whatever-you-call-it for a MLA adaptation. Or maybe that's just me hoping.

Still, putting the R+V director on this was a major fuck-up. I hope age knows what they're doing.

The R+V director is (as yet) just a rumor. Granted, it was in the same rumor that told us about the upcoming TE anime, but still.

However, here's a translated snippet from Yoshimune Kouki (age CEO, chief scriptwriter and scenario director, mech designer and author of TE)'s twitter (twitter.com/kycow):

リークできる情報はまだあまりないけど、プロデューサーさんも担当
さんも、監督もスタッフも、基本オルタユーザーでファンを自称してはば
からない方々。シナリオの打ち合わせはアイデアの化学変化の連鎖でマジで
毎回ワクワクする(;゚∀゚)=3

"There's no info I can leak yet, but the producer and director and other staff members are all big fans of the series. All of the meetings are real fun."
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

70 by dodoxdo97 »»
12 minutes ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 10 hours ago

3 by Maumuu »»
3 hours ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
7 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.