Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 24, 2018 6:50 PM

Nov 2016
Oriental music wtf ? XD

Nice as standalone episode,but I still can't make much sense of the whole picture.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 30, 2020 6:12 PM
Jan 2012
for the ones who still searching for that music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Sk85vQlZA
Apr 29, 2020 2:09 AM

Jul 2012
Just revisited the series, this still is my favorite episode <3

Really love how it ties in with most if not all of the presented scenarios in each episode.
Jun 6, 2020 3:41 PM
Jan 2013
07Hex said:

Thank you, @07Hex ! I created the account 7 years ago just to make that question and now I can finally enjoy this piece of arab music :P
Jun 11, 2020 9:26 AM
Jan 2012
i found it by chance

better late than never :P
Apr 15, 2021 10:40 PM

Aug 2017
Manaka could see her mother again before dying again. Fucking granny, she killed her the first time. I know from episodes ago but I like the twist for Boogiepop Phantom, she didn't kill everyone..
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 15, 2021 6:16 PM
Nov 2020
guilherme_27th said:
07Hex said:

Thank you, @07Hex ! I created the account 7 years ago just to make that question and now I can finally enjoy this piece of arab music :P

Lmao, I love your dedication.
Jul 15, 2021 6:25 PM
Nov 2020
Yet another engrossing episode. Looks like this show is topping my favorites list after all.
Feb 22, 2022 6:26 PM

Dec 2016
Sean_Nessman said:
Arab music now?? But my favorite is the sparse music when Manaka runs from Phantom and falls down on the rain soaked ground.
"I want to fly like him" Is that Shinpei Kuroda we see being experimented on, and somehow connected to Manaka and accompanying her to heaven???
I don't remember him in the 1st novel. he's still the last mystery of this show. Maybe his and the female doctor's story will be told in the VS Imaginator novels??

I am really late for this but actually that "man" who was being experimented on was Echoes.
rubedesuFeb 22, 2022 7:14 PM
Aug 12, 2022 5:51 AM

Jun 2020
That was fucking beautiful. That was fucking intriguing. That was fucking mindblowing. That was everything. That was a fucking masterpiece.

Oct 23, 2022 1:03 PM
Dec 2017
grayrebornnhy said:
Manaka was literally cursed with the ability to absorb and engulf the guilt and regret of people all around, and when released from isolation after her grandmother's death, her ability grew and eventually led to her being unable of speech (as stated: the drug-bestowed ability resulted in Manaka being an 'Echo', only to be able to repeat what people said).

I believe she was initially a normal girl growing up in her grandmother's house. After being murdered and subsequently reanimated by the beam of light caused by Echoes, she "evolved". Then when her grandmother passed away and she wandered out into the world, she came across a dying Echoes who seemingly caused her to "evolve" to another level where she started mimicking whatever is said to her exactly like him.

grayrebornnhy said:
The Phantom's later intervention to prevent Boogiepop from killing her was to enable the dispersal of EM waves to simply survive, stating that "she is now too weak to threaten anything".

Nevertheless, I am unclear as to who disappeared in the end: Boogiepop or Phantom.

I am certain it was the original Boogiepop who survived. It wouldn't make sense for the Phantom to survive because it exists only because of the electromagnetic field that exists around the city. With the EM field gone, the Phantom disappears leaving the original behind. It is clear that the one who remains has brown hair and we know that Toka Miyashita has brown hair while the person the Phantom modeled itself on has black hair.
Dec 11, 2022 7:12 PM
Jul 2018
Finally, some context. Love that Phantom was like, so anyway, I'm out. Boogiepop was like, m'kay.

What even is this anime.
Mar 15, 2023 12:23 PM
Oct 2022
Best episode so far. Manaka Kisaragi's story ties in so many loose ends and really brings it all together. Her passing is both tragic and beautiful, as was her existence as a being. I found it ironic and funny how she's one of the most intelligent people in Boogiepop Phantom, yet she's forced to talk and act like a child. She's the definition: don't judge a book by its cover and first pages. 
Jun 20, 2023 2:46 AM
Aug 2022
NomaanMalick said:
grayrebornnhy said:
Manaka was literally cursed with the ability to absorb and engulf the guilt and regret of people all around, and when released from isolation after her grandmother's death, her ability grew and eventually led to her being unable of speech (as stated: the drug-bestowed ability resulted in Manaka being an 'Echo', only to be able to repeat what people said).

I believe she was initially a normal girl growing up in her grandmother's house. After being murdered and subsequently reanimated by the beam of light caused by Echoes, she "evolved". Then when her grandmother passed away and she wandered out into the world, she came across a dying Echoes who seemingly caused her to "evolve" to another level where she started mimicking whatever is said to her exactly like him.

grayrebornnhy said:
The Phantom's later intervention to prevent Boogiepop from killing her was to enable the dispersal of EM waves to simply survive, stating that "she is now too weak to threaten anything".

Nevertheless, I am unclear as to who disappeared in the end: Boogiepop or Phantom.

I am certain it was the original Boogiepop who survived. It wouldn't make sense for the Phantom to survive because it exists only because of the electromagnetic field that exists around the city. With the EM field gone, the Phantom disappears leaving the original behind. It is clear that the one who remains has brown hair and we know that Toka Miyashita has brown hair while the person the Phantom modeled itself on has black hair.

You say she came across a dying Echoes after being reanimated by the beam of light when she went out into the world, but how exactly? He was already gone when she was exploring the world. I'm not clear as to how she was aware of him, beside perhaps similarities.
Aug 23, 2023 1:51 PM

Sep 2017
There they go again throwing all these new names characters around
خ
Aug 27, 2023 1:06 PM

Dec 2017
I love Manaka's encounter with her mother.
If I had a daughter her name would be Manaka. In a kanji variation of the name, there is the ideogram for "flower" in the kanji. By coincidence the name Manacá (same pronunciation as in the Japanese one) means "flower" in Tupi (Indigenous Brazilian language), and it is a Brazilian plant.
私が見たのが、ブギーポップだったのかどうかは分からない。
Sep 8, 2023 6:51 AM
Jan 2013
Reply to Boogiepop1989
I love Manaka's encounter with her mother.
If I had a daughter her name would be Manaka. In a kanji variation of the name, there is the ideogram for "flower" in the kanji. By coincidence the name Manacá (same pronunciation as in the Japanese one) means "flower" in Tupi (Indigenous Brazilian language), and it is a Brazilian plant.
@Boogiepop1989 very interesting coincidence! now I'm reading about similarities in japanese and tupi-guarani languages, fascinating stuff, thanks for the input.
Sep 8, 2023 8:16 AM

Dec 2017
Reply to guilherme_27th
@Boogiepop1989 very interesting coincidence! now I'm reading about similarities in japanese and tupi-guarani languages, fascinating stuff, thanks for the input.
@guilherme_27th
Thanks for the reply.

Remembering a scene in 2 screenshots:
私が見たのが、ブギーポップだったのかどうかは分からない。

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bwaffles - Nov 23, 2008

56 by num-ami-dabutz »»
Apr 10, 2:31 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 6 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 27, 2010

25 by Pineappleshogun »»
Apr 10, 2:12 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 10 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

23 by Walhtatron »»
Mar 9, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 9 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

35 by divlyfein »»
Feb 15, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 7 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Mar 6, 2010

30 by EtherLux »»
Jan 20, 3:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.