Forum Settings
Forums
New
Which is better, College anime clubs, or public library clubs?
Jun 24, 2008 11:47 AM

Nov 2007
Well we only have one official anime club here in Abilene and it is the one that the public library has been running. I haven't attended the local colleges here or inquired about them having one either. How many anime clubs do you guys have where you live? I bet in cities like Dallas, Austin, and Houston that there are tons!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 25, 2008 5:53 AM

May 2008
honestly i have no idea how many we have here in Fort Worth. I am sure there is a good amount but i have never looked into them.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
Jul 30, 2008 8:47 PM

Jul 2008
Well, I don't know how many are actually in the area, but I do participate a lot in the anime club at Texas A&M. Its the only anime club I've ever been in.
Aug 1, 2008 8:51 PM

Nov 2007
Sweet. Is it a pretty big club? If so, do you like that it is?
Aug 2, 2008 8:37 PM

Jul 2008
It has about 20 people in it consistently, more or less. I don't really know if you would call that big, but the size isn't too bad otherwise.
Aug 6, 2008 10:51 PM

Nov 2007
That sounds like a perfectly sized club. So have you guys marathoned anything yet?
Aug 6, 2008 11:25 PM

Jun 2008
I have actually never attempted to join a club or start one before, but I would like too. I have a good amount of anime and manga saved on my hard drive, and all I would need would be a cable to hook my PC up to my TV and I could have a pretty decent club going.
I'm back.
Aug 8, 2008 2:11 PM

Jul 2008
We really don't marathon series, what we do is just watch 5 animes through the course of 2 semesters and watch one episode of each in our weekly meetings.
Aug 18, 2008 4:48 PM

Nov 2007
banmenow said:
We really don't marathon series, what we do is just watch 5 animes through the course of 2 semesters and watch one episode of each in our weekly meetings.
That sounds like a good idea. I am attending a trade school in about a week, but I am unsure of whether or not they have an anime club or if it would qualify as a college anime club. What series' have you watched in the club so far?
Aug 19, 2008 12:37 AM

Jul 2008
I only know what we've watched the last 2 years. We've watched The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Genshiken 1 and 2, Fruits Basket Ouran High, Full Metal Panic 1 and 2, Hellsing, Irresponsible Captain Tylor (my personal favorite), Hajime no Ippo, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, and the rest I have forgotten. I have also forgotten completely what we voted on to watch this year, the only one I remember is that we are watching Rune Soldier
Aug 24, 2008 10:21 PM

Nov 2007
Sweet. I have yet to watch Haruhi still, and Lucky Star for that matter (both seemed to get hyped up around the same time at least for me). I have heard some good things about Captain Tylor. It seems like you guys get to watch a lot of series' per year. NOw I am trying to start a club at my technical college, any advice?
Oct 13, 2008 6:42 PM

Feb 2008
Honestly I have no idea if there are any around here. Dunno if I would join even if there was one to join. :o I'm well, not very outgoing.
Oct 13, 2008 8:24 PM

Nov 2007
I completely understand, and with MAL its easy to get recommendations for all kinds of good shows. I have just heard that anime clubs can be fun and memorable.
Oct 18, 2008 8:29 PM

Feb 2008
tranceotaku said:
I completely understand, and with MAL its easy to get recommendations for all kinds of good shows. I have just heard that anime clubs can be fun and memorable.

Mmm, and to that point, the one reason why I would consider joining one is to meet more people interested in anime. Very few of my friends have any interest in it (and a couple have a rather great dislike for it...and the ones that do have tastes that are not so similar to mine). Its always fun to have a few more people to watch shows with. :)
Oct 19, 2008 7:51 PM

Nov 2007
Yeah it is a lot more fun when you can talk about a show with the people that watched it with you. If I was actually attending a regular college, I would definitely seek out its anime club. Also, its nice to get exposed to new anime. I know MAL is pretty much a digital anime club, but I haven't seen anyone try and coordinate watching something at the same time for better discussion. It would be cool I'm guessing.
Oct 22, 2008 10:37 AM

Dec 2007
Why don't you try to coordinate something like that then trance
Oct 27, 2008 7:50 AM

Nov 2007
good idea! I'll pitch it to a few of the clubs I'm in, including this one. Any suggestions?
Nov 2, 2008 2:16 PM

Dec 2007
I think I would start with picking an anime then picking a time to have everyone watch it. Then I would either open a special chat room or if everyone is together open forum for everyone to start discussing the show. If you want everyone to talk about anything anime related then leave out the specific time to watch the anime. I would join a club like that if you started it!
Nov 3, 2008 6:55 AM

Nov 2007
Ok! Ill start the planning tonight and try and find something that I feel a good amount of people will want to watch that haven't already seen it! Ill keep ya posted.
Nov 3, 2008 11:35 AM

Dec 2007
Sounds good to me!
Jul 29, 2009 10:22 PM

Jan 2009
From the looks of things trance my friends down there in Abilene didn't lie when they said the public library started an anime club. I'm glad and happy for you. I wish I could say the same where I live but my public library won't take my idea since I'm not longer a teen.
Jul 30, 2009 1:42 AM

Nov 2007
The age discrimination thing is a little silly, but hey what can you do? I haven't been to the meetings at the Abilene Public Library in a long time. I think they recently had a cosplay contest. It is a bunch of younger people so they watch things that I normally don't like. Its a little too clean cut for me, though it is understandable why its like that. I wanna club where Fist of the North Star and the new Golgo 13 are showed. They only meet once a month too.

College seems like the best imo, but college is expensive!
Jul 30, 2009 1:19 PM

Jan 2009
I'd love to be down there but sadly my dad won't come get me now that I'm 18 and I just started learning to drive so yeah.....

It is silly but I think a reason they don't have anime club for older generations is a work schedule. Most might not be able to find time to go.

I'm split between College and Library. College is only good while you're in college whether library you can go whenever they have it.
Mar 26, 2010 2:17 PM

Dec 2009
The anime club for UT is really good, both how it operates and what it shows. So my bias is obvious, I like college clubs better.
Nov 3, 2010 9:30 PM
May 2009
I'm in Dallas but I've never really been to anything besides public clubs... So I am quite biased as well. They are filled with mostly college grads (or nearly) and up. The one i'm most active with we meet about once a week, and we pretty much watch anything we want. Rating is not an issue obviously, however we keep it pretty xx chromosome friendly as we do have female members, lol. When we get done with an anime we pick a few new shows and watch the first eps and then we discuss and vote on what one we want to watch. We will watch two different shows a night (usually a serious anime and a more comedic anime.) It's pretty chill and laid back. Shoot you can bring beer or you could show up baked out of your skull if you had the desire to do so. Can't do that at a library or college haha.
Nov 25, 2014 1:28 AM
Sep 2014
Sorta sad not to see anyone hailing from Houston :P

Well, I'm pretty sure whatever anime clubs I've been to are probably only one part of the iceberg in Houston. My high school had an anime club(Klein High), both community colleges I've been to had an anime club(Lonestar-Tomball and Lonestar-North Harris), and my university actually has two anime clubs(University of Houston). Pretty much every school I've been to had an anime club tbh, but sometimes I still couldn't find a friend, especially more nowadays. Maybe my type for friends has changed but idk...
~~~YunYun Liu~~~
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Why was this club abandoned :(

KitCat07 - Jun 20, 2015

3 by Dangime »»
Sep 27, 2015 10:29 PM

» Dallas?

Sick_Bastard - Nov 28, 2008

10 by kuroshi_nazo »»
Apr 26, 2011 6:45 PM

Sticky: » New ideas and Suggestions

xracerx17 - Nov 28, 2008

6 by WolfWarrior »»
Dec 10, 2009 12:24 PM

» After many years, They Were Eleven

tranceotaku - Apr 17, 2009

0 by tranceotaku »»
Apr 17, 2009 1:13 AM

» Most Looking Forward to..

Lifewish - Jun 26, 2008

7 by tranceotaku »»
Oct 19, 2008 7:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.