Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 10, 2011 11:44 AM

Mar 2011
What is your favourite MMORPG and why? :) I'm curious about the different mmorpg's that exist and what makes them good games.

----- I apologize if this thread already excists, but since I couldn't find something like it right away, I made this new thread. But if it does exists, please tell me where so this can be removed. ;) -------
Jul 10, 2011 11:52 AM

Mar 2011
Lol, I feel bad about posting in all of your topics XD

A favorite MMORPG always depends on the experience. For most it's the first one they've played, for example. Personally, I enjoyed Ragnorak Online the most out of any I've played because a) I met my first girlfriend on it and b) I was very good at it ranking in as the 13th best wizard on all private servers.

But by all means I won't call it the best MMO, just the one that has the most found memories for me.
~ Fallen Angel ~

Jul 10, 2011 1:41 PM

Mar 2011
Well, that certainly sounds very likely.. I've also played this game called Lord of the Rings Online (lotro), and I just love it! But all the other game's I tried couldn't hold my interest, because I compared them to Lotro..

Oh, and don't worry about that, I really like your replies, and I thank you for being so helpfull :)
Jul 10, 2011 1:53 PM

Sep 2008
mine was Phantasy Star Online, I've never had so much fun in one MMO. everything after it could never hold a candle.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jul 10, 2011 6:08 PM

Aug 2008
I regret to say so, but World of Warcraft. I've had a boatload of good times on there over the last 5 years, and even though I harbor a smidgen of hatred for it, I'd still class it as my favorite MMO.

RuneScape rolls in at a close second, and say what you will about that game and all nostalgia aside, RuneScape still boasts a pretty damn hefty feature set if you're a paying member. So many quests and skills to dump your time into. It was the MMO that got me into the genre, and for that I thank it.
Jul 10, 2011 8:07 PM

Jun 2008
Surprised I can't find an older topics on this using google. The only one I sticked with for like 2 years was Ragnarok Online.

Graphics and gameplay-wise there was absolutely nothing amazing about it. Plot is basically non-existent like most MMOs out there. Customization, skills, stats, and quests are all pretty mediocre stuff when you start saying the same builds, faces, equips, cards, again and again. For many this game will seem like shit compared to the other popular MMOs out there. That's fine, I've no point to convince them other wise.

What really made me stick with RO was its community (I was on a private server). The community can probably be the reason for most MMOs out there. Sure, there are assholes out there, but then there's dicks everywhere in life.

But there's also friends, and people who actually communicate with you on a daily basis: joke about similar topics, rage about mobs and assholes, laugh about idiots, share knowledge on various things, argue about stupid things, and so on. Hey, I never got to see their faces or met them face-to-face, but there's no point being cynical about the relationships I formed with these people.

There are times where I'd converse for hours rather than leveling or searching for an item. It's not surprising then that I quit this game after all the time I spent on it because most of my friends had also left and went on with their life.

Depending on what kind of person you are, you might just get sick over the amount of dicks out there, or lackluster gameplay/graphics/story, or tedious grinding, but if you are the right type and met a nice guild, then the game will not let you go. Or rather you'd not let the game go.

/walloftext [for anyone who bothers to read]
TachiiJul 10, 2011 8:16 PM
Jul 10, 2011 9:38 PM
Jun 2011
The only games I enjoy playing involve a bottle of scotch and a blunt fisherman's knife, god knows how I came into the world without one
Jul 10, 2011 10:10 PM
May 2009
my first love was runescape, i still remember the dragon patch and failing miserably because i forgot to equip the fireproof shield.

the first time i played a healer that got me hooked for life on support was ragnarok online, a healer that can take care of itself if need be? yes please can i have some more!

the game i played the most was WoW, good times to be had in that game, pulling 3-4 pats as a tankadin and scaring the pugs with my partner healer or being the last healer alive during onyxia at 4% and taking her down for the first time and going deaf from the reaction in vent are some of my fondest gaming memories but.....

the game i absolutely loved the most was pre-cu SWG. yes yes im a bitter old vet here, no im not going to get on the soapbox like so many others everything that can be said has been said already. all im going to say is i await the large flightless bird with baited breath, the eager anticipation a child gets on christmas eve, and a 6 pack in the fridge for the day i can play it for real once again.
Jul 11, 2011 1:49 AM

Mar 2011
Tachii said:

What really made me stick with RO was its community (I was on a private server). The community can probably be the reason for most MMOs out there. Sure, there are assholes out there, but then there's dicks everywhere in life.

But there's also friends, and people who actually communicate with you on a daily basis: (...) Hey, I never got to see their faces or met them face-to-face, but there's no point being cynical about the relationships I formed with these people.

There are times where I'd converse for hours rather than leveling or searching for an item. It's not surprising then that I quit this game after all the time I spent on it because most of my friends had also left and went on with their life. Iif you are the right type and met a nice guild, then the game will not let you go. Or rather you'd not let the game go.

^ This. This is why I loved LOTRO so much! I'm really one of those types who likes the social part of mmorpg's.. I completely agree with you on everything you said Tachii, I feel that way too. :)
Jul 11, 2011 2:51 AM

Dec 2007
EVE Online:

• Mature community
  • Hardcore shit going on (which repels the less mature players)
  • Game time can be bought with in-game currency

But my first love was Lineage 2:

• Undefeated master in atmosphere
  • It did more with less

Though I have to report that Lineage 2 has died after Chronicle 2 (the second expansion) due to WoW influences (whereas NCSoft has ordered the developers to make it more WoW-ish).

ChavezJul 11, 2011 2:56 AM
Jul 11, 2011 3:00 AM

Nov 2009
Warcraft takes the prize here though it would have been Freelancer had Microsoft in their infinite wisdom not discontinued the servers about 6 months after I bought it.
Jul 11, 2011 3:07 AM

Aug 2009
Ragnarok Online I played it for 8 years before deciding to quit, I can't believe how much time and money I spent on this game.

Jul 11, 2011 3:49 AM

Dec 2007
SuperKyou said:
Warcraft takes the prize here though it would have been Freelancer had Microsoft in their infinite wisdom not discontinued the servers about 6 months after I bought it.

That's not nearly as bad as All Point Bulletin, which closed the servers nearly two weeks after it got released. In fact, days after the server closure, APB could still be bought in the Steam store (can't blame Valve, the developers are responsible for their share in the store).
Jul 11, 2011 7:33 AM
Jul 2018
I'd have to say City of Heroes. Reasons being customization of your character, easy to play casually, and a relatively mature community. I think they are transitioning to a free to play model now though (I dunno, don't play currently), so the community may suffer for it. One place where CoH is really lacking is PvP though. It was more of an afterthought and it shows.

Also something that I loved about City of Heroes for a long time was that it was one of the few games that encouraged creating alternate characters instead of focusing on one. Now with incarnate slots in the mix that is less true, but I'm sure it is still valid to one degree or another.

It was also fun to watch newbies come in with the desire to play a "healer" only to find out that in CoH buffs trump heals 90% of the time.

I may go back to City of Heroes if I ever get a replacement video card. But who knows when that is going to happen.

As a runner up I'd say EVE. Fun game if you find your place in it. I like it, but could never stay with it.

WoW is alright if you can stay fairly casual. Otherwise it becomes a chore.
Jul 11, 2011 7:47 AM

Mar 2011
World of Warcraft.
Mr. Wonsworth, you may NOT eat my scones!
Jul 11, 2011 11:32 AM
Jan 2011
Well, my favorite and first was Mabinogi, it just has a really good fighting system and its always been fun for about 3 years now. xD
Jul 11, 2011 12:37 PM
Apr 2011
For 4 years i've played World of Warcraft,it was my favorite i think it's the best mmorpg at the time but i think Guild Wars 2 have a good chance to beat it.
I somekind miss the old classic and bc times in Warcraft it was really epic.
Wotlk and Cataclysm kind of sucked...

Jul 11, 2011 1:32 PM

Jul 2008
Takida said:
I somekind miss the old classic and bc times in Warcraft it was really epic.
Wotlk and Cataclysm kind of sucked...
Finally, someone who feels the way I do.
Jul 22, 2011 5:31 AM

Feb 2008
It's all about Everquest 2.
Jul 22, 2011 3:26 PM

May 2009
Maple Story, create your own chibi and kill stuff.
Jul 22, 2011 6:44 PM

Apr 2010
WoW by a long shot. The amount of stuff you can do in that game is legendary. Like most, I don't enjoy it nearly as much now since it has taken a fall in pvp balance in its recent expansions, but if you aren't a pvp player, the game is better than ever.

F2P wise, I enjoyed maplestory for what it was. Something to do for 20 minutes a day. Past that, the grind becomes way too steep once you hit a certain level.
Sep 5, 2011 9:04 AM

Sep 2011
my favorite will always be MEGATEN (SMT IMAGINE)

people there we're cool and not the typical "zombie players" who's always dedicated to grinding and playing doing quest and runs, have not any time to talk. no fun at all

in megaten it was different, you grind troll, shout, troll sellers people there are mature enough to understand was humor is :D which is really cool, and classes aren't imbalanced and characters and their gears we're highly customizable (upgrade/combine weapons and gears and expertise system for characters )
Sep 5, 2011 9:19 AM
Jul 2018
IRL has to be my favourite.
Sep 5, 2011 11:30 AM

Jan 2010
Legend of Edda. The English translations are atrocious and the grinding isn't very fun, but I like the PvP/Battlegrounds system a lot.
Sep 5, 2011 5:33 PM

Jul 2011
S4 League : its a third person 3D Sci-fi shooter. fast paced and set in a futuristic environment. lots of styles and skills, i just love it :)
Sep 5, 2011 8:43 PM

Sep 2011
not gonna lie but it's runescape. mainly because it is the only MMORPG i've played so far.

More topics from this board

» What's the funnest local multiplayer game with friends.

SnipeStrike - Apr 16

9 by FanofAction »»
2 hours ago

» Gacha Survey

Shizuna - Apr 11

45 by RobertsahDHDA »»
4 hours ago

» Rarest/Coolest gaming related things you own.

SnipeStrike - 6 hours ago

3 by Theo1899 »»
4 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3503 by DesuMaiden »»
8 hours ago

» What's a hated game that you actually enjoyed?

SnipeStrike - Apr 13

26 by Theo1899 »»
Today, 1:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.