Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2011 12:25 AM
Jul 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Kind of uninspired for the first half. It was really dragging on, and I was a little bored tbh.

Interesting interactions between Sakura and Key. All kinds of conflicting emotions were displayed through indirect dialogue; it put those overly didactic characters from others anime to shame.

The ED music keeps taking on more significance. Each plot development lets the lyrics be read in a different light
May 16, 2014 11:57 AM

May 2012
Interesting character development, the pacing is steady so let's see what's next!
Sep 16, 2016 2:02 PM

Jul 2012
thisiodfkln said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Kind of uninspired for the first half. It was really dragging on, and I was a little bored tbh.

Interesting interactions between Sakura and Key. All kinds of conflicting emotions were displayed through indirect dialogue; it put those overly didactic characters from others anime to shame.

The ED music keeps taking on more significance. Each plot development lets the lyrics be read in a different light

It didn't drag too much in the first half. After the micro-climax last episode, everyone kind of needed a moment to reflect on what happened and what they saw - Shuichi and Oji both saw what Key did when her abilities activated - Sakura didn't. While all 3 have been told that Key is a robot, Sakura and Shuichi have known that information than longer than Oji did - meaning that Shuichi saw the events at the restaurant with that information. Shuichi hasn't told Sakura everything that he saw because, quite possibly, he doesn't know what he saw himself. So, the slow first half of the show felt like characters parsing the information they have in different ways:

• Shuichi came into the restaurant incident having been told that Key was a robot but not necessarily believing. Based on what he witnessed, he may be starting to believe. We'll see if he associates the "music" signal with Key or not. In short, he's starting to accept Key's statements as factual, and is beginning to accept her identity.
  • Oji leads a cult - and may be an actual believer, not just a con-artist using a cult as a front. When he saw Key, he saw her as a spiritual being, not a robot, and is taking her statement that she's a robot as evidence that she possibly doesn't understand what she is, and his interpretation is right. In other words, he's projecting his beliefs onto her.
  • Sakura has been informed that Key was a robot, but did not witness the restaurant incident. She only knows part of the story second hand, and thus does not believe. Consequently, as far as she's concerned, Key's statement of her identity as a "robot" is sort of like a chuunibyou delusion. Being that Sakura's trying to live something of an adult life, she has no place for it, and no space for "Key" the freeloader.

I'm interested in seeing how these perceptions shift in future episodes when/if Shuichi, Oji, and Sakura start seeing Ajo's combat robots.
Jan 19, 2017 8:35 AM

May 2014
If only Sakura saw what happened the other night then she would understand Key more instead of kicking her out.
Jun 8, 2019 7:39 PM
Jul 2018
"Interesting interactions between Sakura and Key."

That and the presentation of Key are the only semi-interesting parts. Though some could argue the creepy guy during the robot segments are as well.

5 episodes in of a 15 episode series and everything is still not laid out yet which is amazing considering the show has done nothing, but that for a while. There was more build up as Sakura and Shuichi are speculating why Key thinks is a robot. "Maybe its because she grew up around robots?"
"Nah, it has to go deeper than that."
At the moment I'm given no reason to care, as we know she isn't human due to her powers and strength. So the only reason to show it is as build up to something. Also, why did they repeat that Key was bullied and didn't have many friends? The show seems busy as is.
This scene had cuts to Key listening to Religion, I'm sure his religion would play a role later on alongside because its yet another thing that doesn't hold an interest as of now.

Anyway, Shuichi speculated some more with his friend about the idol, and how they are going to record the next time it happens, again, there's more build up 'cause I didn't sit through enough of it yet. If this wasn't a challenge I would've dropped the show by now.
Dec 9, 2019 10:44 PM

Oct 2012
the pacing sucks so bad
Jun 16, 2020 9:39 PM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
I think the pacing of the show is great. Key was made really where people think she human. Dang key really got kicked out smh. Also, the robot being able to talk which is crazy shows they are autonomous
Oct 21, 2021 7:35 PM
Dec 2017
I'm pretty used to the kind of pacing this show has.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Key the Metal Idol Episode 14 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - May 16, 2014

20 by Ryan_the_Bread »»
Mar 19, 10:22 PM

Poll: » Key the Metal Idol Episode 7 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Jul 16, 2011

7 by SilverCrono »»
Sep 5, 2023 9:04 PM

» Worth Watching?

dustinator1991 - Jun 24, 2022

3 by Itzmespooky »»
Jun 15, 2023 7:27 AM

Poll: » Key the Metal Idol Episode 10 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Jul 18, 2011

6 by Quintessence »»
Apr 23, 2023 9:54 AM

Poll: » Key the Metal Idol Episode 11 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - May 16, 2014

6 by Unleashed_SM »»
Jul 12, 2022 10:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.