Forum Settings
Forums

Deficits of Astarotte no Omocha Anime Disappoint Manga Author

New
Jul 5, 2011 4:01 AM

Feb 2008
Mangaka Haga Yui posted on her twitter that she wanted to pay off the huge debt of the Astarotte no Omocha! anime. She regretted that she couldn’t return profits to those who invested in her work. She herself purchased five copies each of the Astarotte no Omocha! Blu-ray and DVDs. She said she will do her best to promote the anime.

Source: Haga’s twitter

Note: The first volume of Astarotte no Omocha Blu-ray sold 1,316 copies.
NaruleachJul 5, 2011 2:39 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 5, 2011 4:04 AM

May 2009
Well, that's pretty sad. And the anime was actually pretty enjoyable too.
Jul 5, 2011 4:07 AM

Sep 2010
It was watchable, but I was not hooked to it :/
Jul 5, 2011 4:32 AM

Oct 2009
Mediocre show, with a subject that turns away many people who are afraid to be labeled pedophiles or worse. What did she expect anyway?
Jul 5, 2011 4:34 AM

May 2010
Pretty sad if you have to buy your own products to support it...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 5, 2011 4:37 AM

Mar 2009
That's sad I liked it
Jul 5, 2011 4:38 AM
Jul 2011
it could have been much better if only animation studios followed the manga properly but shes a top woman for trying to boost the success of somthing that was adapted from her manga
Jul 5, 2011 4:43 AM

Oct 2008
londo said:
What did she expect anyway?

pretty much
Jul 5, 2011 4:51 AM

Sep 2008
An extremely underrated series really, but it seems that it turned off most people for absolutely different reasons: those who dislike ecchi expected it to be filled with ecchi stuff and didn't watch it, and those who like ecchi were left disappointed by the fact it wasn't ecchi at all.
Jul 5, 2011 5:14 AM

Oct 2008
err they have to drink cum to keep themselves looking good. the simple fact that THIS even exists in the show automatically sets it a cut below everything else. that is, unless the synopsis is lying and this isn't actually a part of the show...?
Jul 5, 2011 5:16 AM

Jun 2011
ArbitorOfTime said:
it could have been much better if only animation studios followed the manga properly but shes a top woman for trying to boost the success of somthing that was adapted from her manga

baito_senshi said:
An extremely underrated series really, but it seems that it turned off most people for absolutely different reasons: those who dislike ecchi expected it to be filled with ecchi stuff and didn't watch it, and those who like ecchi were left disappointed by the fact it wasn't ecchi at all.

All true. It's similar to Kodomo no Jikan although inferior to it, adaptation wise.
If it were more psychological, then maybe it could have worked.
Pedophilia should not a problem if other shows had prepubescent children as main characters. There was more ecchi for older characters.
The threat is stronger than the execution.
Jul 5, 2011 5:20 AM

Jun 2009
baito_senshi said:
An extremely underrated series really but it seems that it turned off most people for absolutely different reasons: those who dislike ecchi expected it to be filled with ecchi stuff and didn't watch it, and those who like ecchi were left disappointed by the fact it wasn't ecchi at all.

"7.08" rating on MAL was jut about right, maybe a bit higher but that was fine for an "okay" or a "mediocre show".

lol @ not ecchi.
Jul 5, 2011 5:24 AM

Nov 2007
At least it's over 1frt.
Jul 5, 2011 5:29 AM

Sep 2008
-Quasar said:
baito_senshi said:
An extremely underrated series really but it seems that it turned off most people for absolutely different reasons: those who dislike ecchi expected it to be filled with ecchi stuff and didn't watch it, and those who like ecchi were left disappointed by the fact it wasn't ecchi at all.

"7.08" rating on MAL was jut about right, maybe a bit higher but that was fine for an "okay" or a "mediocre show".

lol @ not ecchi.

If you call THIS ecchi, I'm afraid to even ask what you would call Green Green or Girls Bravo.
Lotte is NOT ecchi, anyone thinking it is must be either a monk or just started with anime a couple days ago.
Jul 5, 2011 5:35 AM

Aug 2008
She seems desperate, although I doubt she could do anything about that.

baito_senshi said:
those who dislike ecchi expected it to be filled with ecchi stuff and didn't watch it, and those who like ecchi were left disappointed by the fact it wasn't ecchi at all.

Lol I don't think that's the case. Before watching it I thought it would turn out to be a childish show with magic as it's theme, while it's actually not. There wasn't much ecchi, but it had tons of fan service.
Jul 5, 2011 5:39 AM

Aug 2008
baito_senshi said:
If you call THIS ecchi, I'm afraid to even ask what you would call Green Green or Girls Bravo.
Lotte is NOT ecchi, anyone thinking it is must be either a monk or just started with anime a couple days ago.

Erm I don't think you should compare shows.
As far as I know, as long as there's a good amount of body exposure then it's classified as ecchi whether you like it or not.
Jul 5, 2011 5:47 AM

May 2009
It is ecchi, but it's not just a mindless ecchi like most of the ecchi shows. It has a great heartwarming story with good characters. And it's not just a loli show, there are many adult women as well, and the fanservice is mostly centered around them.
Jul 5, 2011 5:50 AM

Aug 2010
I think the problem with Lotte is that it should have been targeted either at people with a "special preference" or remove all the sexual parts and make it a family friendly heartwarming comedy. In its current state it cannot please the target audience.
Jul 5, 2011 5:53 AM

Oct 2007
So having Rei in it still didn't do the trick? Where are all of those fan boys doing anyway?

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jul 5, 2011 6:02 AM

Jul 2008
If her manga was made into a TV show, you think she would have MADE money.
Jul 5, 2011 6:13 AM

May 2010
i dont mind a free copy thanks
Jul 5, 2011 6:19 AM

Jun 2009
baito_senshi said:

LMAO! comparing it to a more ecchier anime doesn't make this "not ecchi". The fact that this involves bathing scenes and milking innuendos just to name a few categorizes this as ecchi.
Jul 5, 2011 6:22 AM

Oct 2009
Guys, it is irrelevant if the shows was actually good or not. What it *sounds like* is what will keep many away. And the Japanese are even more touchy on these, remember the Tokyo anime & manga ban?

For the record I did watch it, but buying it? Hell no, there are better shows to invest on, sorry mangaka-san.
Jul 5, 2011 6:27 AM

Apr 2011
Isn't this the Hayate no Gotoku rip-off?
Jul 5, 2011 6:41 AM

Jun 2010
I'd buy it if I could. It was probably my favorite show of the spring season. Really need to start reading the manga.
Jul 5, 2011 6:44 AM
Dec 2007
-Quasar said:
baito_senshi said:

LMAO! comparing it to a more ecchier anime doesn't make this "not ecchi". The fact that this involves bathing scenes and milking innuendos just to name a few categorizes this as ecchi.
So just because it's under the ecchi category it's already an aberration. That's what you're implying correct?

Jul 5, 2011 6:50 AM

Sep 2008
Leon-Gun said:
-Quasar said:
baito_senshi said:

So just because it's under the ecchi category it's already an aberration. That's what you're implying correct?
The F you two implying...
The manga labeled as seinen, the content is "echii" enough, the promotion in magz that they using is eccii material.. so how the feck this isn't ecchii show?

I hope you two just clowning for laugh.
Jul 5, 2011 6:56 AM

Jun 2009
Leon-Gun said:

Yes. Deal with it.

Seriously, I have never said or implied in any of my post that ecchi = bad. I was explaining why this is ecchi to the other guy.

Nov 2008
londo said:
Guys, it is irrelevant if the shows was actually good or not. What it *sounds like* is what will keep many away. And the Japanese are even more touchy on these, remember the Tokyo anime & manga ban?

For the record I did watch it, but buying it? Hell no, there are better shows to invest on, sorry mangaka-san.

That ordinance hasn't made much of a dent in either medium, the only thing it did was restrict manga with rape, incest leading to sex, and sex in school. It's the recession, people only have the money for 1-2 titles and because of money constraints they only want the best anime out there.

Feb 2011
Better luck next time. I love her art style.

I really don't think that the anime was bad, but I like the manga better. I can see how the summary would turn a lot of people off, but I'm the kind of person that whenever I hear an outrageous sounding premise, I get curious and want to check the story out.

I guess in the end it just didn't impress all the people who wanted to watch it for the ecchi and it scared away all the people who would have watched it for the story.
Jul 5, 2011 7:04 AM

May 2009
It was a decent anime, but I would never spend money on it.
Jul 5, 2011 7:08 AM
Jun 2009
That's too sad for her. :(
I pity good manga which are just 'ruined' by anime. (I'm not much of a manga reader though, but I somehow know the feeling).
Jul 5, 2011 7:19 AM

Mar 2008
Quite a surprise. The anime was funny, but maybe japanese lolicons expected more "risky" contents, and so they were disappointed...
Jul 5, 2011 7:21 AM

May 2009
It's quite obvious why the anime flopped. With a description like that everybody will start thinking it's a hentai or something, no matter how good the story really is.

Just another casualty of the market economy. Move along guys
Jul 5, 2011 7:28 AM
Jun 2008
my favorite Anime of the season T.T
Jul 5, 2011 7:31 AM

Nov 2008
mikhailn said:
It's quite obvious why the anime flopped. With a description like that everybody will start thinking it's a hentai or something, no matter how good the story really is.

Just another casualty of the market economy. Move along guys

People need to stop judging a book by it's cover, although a lot of us were looking forward to loli BJs or better, but it turned out to be very heartwarming and no loli sex.

Jul 5, 2011 7:35 AM
Apr 2011
The fact that it had a 23 year old guy with a daughter falling in love with his 10 year old step daughter was a bit too much and top it off with the fact that she was a succubus and one day would need semen to live I can definitely see why a lot of people were too scared to watch it, but simply the fact that it was a rom/com and the art seemed good was enough for me to watch it, and surprise, it turned out to be pretty good.
It was actually pretty funny and the story was really heart warming..
It's a shame most people are turned off by the fact that it's ecchi with 10 year olds in it, and are too scared to find out what the anime is really like...
Jul 5, 2011 7:39 AM

Nov 2008
Annoyance said:
The fact that it had a 23 year old guy with a daughter falling in love with his 10 year old step daughter was a bit too much and top it off with the fact that she was a succubus and one day would need semen to live I can definitely see why a lot of people were too scared to watch it, but simply the fact that it was a rom/com and the art seemed good was enough for me to watch it, and surprise, it turned out to be pretty good.
It was actually pretty funny and the story was really heart warming..
It's a shame most people are turned off by the fact that it's ecchi with 10 year olds in it, and are too scared to find out what the anime is really like...

Maybe anime fans haven't recovered from the nightmare that is Kodomo no Jikan, stuff like tampons being inserted scars you for life unlike this which is Chicken Soup for the Soul.

Jul 5, 2011 7:49 AM

Oct 2007
And now the cutest animu of last season will never get a sequel D:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2011 7:52 AM

Nov 2008
Metty said:
And now the cutest animu of last season will never get a sequel D:

Blame the fans who mistaken this for nightmare fuel.

Jul 5, 2011 7:53 AM
Mar 2011
It was an enjoyable show. The synopsis seemed super ecchi, but it was actually surprisingly refreshing that it wasn't that ecchi at all. Cute story. But I wouldn't be able to shell out the money for the Blu-ray, maybe a dvd box set...
Jul 5, 2011 7:56 AM
Apr 2011
BigSimo said:
err they have to drink cum to keep themselves looking good. the simple fact that THIS even exists in the show automatically sets it a cut below everything else. that is, unless the synopsis is lying and this isn't actually a part of the show...?

there are jokes surrounding that but its not actually part of the show :/ tbh it wasnt echhi the only thing that might make it messed up is that protagonist was old enough to be asterottes father.
Jul 5, 2011 7:58 AM

Jan 2010
Despite my earlier differences with this show, it ended up being a sinful and disgusting show.

I am glad that people with morals are not purchasing this show.
Ok™
Jul 5, 2011 8:00 AM

Nov 2008
kinda expected that that's why i did not watch it
Jul 5, 2011 8:27 AM

Nov 2010
feel sorry for her..has to buy her own work to show support... i didnt watch this series though...

Jul 5, 2011 8:27 AM

Nov 2008
jmal said:
McRib said:

I love how you pull that line on a non-lolicon show while conveniently ignoring that other actual lolicon material does sell - so maybe it has nothing to do with your alleged "morals" after all. Keep living in your fantasy.

Oh man you should have seen his replies with regards to Yosuga no Sora, matter of fact go look for them, you'll laugh.

Jul 5, 2011 8:32 AM

Mar 2011
Hoppy said:
jmal said:
McRib said:

I love how you pull that line on a non-lolicon show while conveniently ignoring that other actual lolicon material does sell - so maybe it has nothing to do with your alleged "morals" after all. Keep living in your fantasy.

Oh man you should have seen his replies with regards to Yosuga no Sora, matter of fact go look for them, you'll laugh.

May I see them? Link plox <3
Courtesy of Paul
Jul 5, 2011 8:33 AM

Aug 2009
Awww D;

Cheer up sensei! D;
Jul 5, 2011 9:04 AM

Oct 2009
1. Make mediocre show.
2. Expect high sales.
LOLJAPAN
Jul 5, 2011 9:18 AM
May 2009
This show had some well executed drama, unlike those current "hit" drama-shows. (Hanasaku Iroha, Ano Hana..) But that isn't important nowadays, as they just have to tell the audience to be sad and not do it the "hard" way, to make the audience feel sad without being told to do so... meaning subtle drama. This show does very well in that category several times.

Also of course the loli-problems, synopsis as bait and switch, sort of, and its strength is CLEARLY the family-stuff. The ending was also just an inch away from being explicitly pedo. There are more than just one kinds of "love" and the "chuuu"-love shouldn't be the love between the protag and Lotte. That's just unfitting if you consider the rest of the story.
And this brings the problems. Those who want that lolicon-stuff to happen won't be pleased with most of the anime and those who like the family-stuff might never give it a chance or will have problems with some parts of episode 8+.

Quite sad. Without the lolicon-stuff... this would've been better. I'd assume the manga will use the "Succubus"-stuff later on, but the anime never built upon it, so that plotpoint is moot and kinda unneeded.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

30 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.