Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 1, 2011 11:05 AM
Apr 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
So Allen went to that old lady. Wouldn't have guessed. Hope the next chapter will be out soon..
Jul 1, 2011 11:48 AM

May 2010
That.... was short -___-" !!
Jul 1, 2011 12:12 PM

Jun 2011
i already anticipated that this chapter would be short and have little to no action...that's what you get when the manga artist's wrist is broken >.>
Jul 1, 2011 12:16 PM
Aug 2009
We have another side story coming out on July 15th. So that's probably why this chapter was so short.
Jul 1, 2011 12:33 PM

Feb 2010
chapter was ok but to short imo.
bskbobJul 1, 2011 12:41 PM
Jul 1, 2011 12:50 PM

Nov 2008
Cross! So much love.
Jul 1, 2011 1:10 PM

Sep 2008
wow, amazing chapter...
I mean, finally we know something more about Allen's past.
and Cross... I knew he was good for him, always.
what is sad, Allen has to be killed.

and, again. no info about Lavi.
Jul 1, 2011 1:54 PM

Sep 2009
lmao, mana's face sorta looks like the earl's when he's in his human form :-/
Jul 1, 2011 2:09 PM

Aug 2010
Tooo short, but loved it anyway.

I just loved how cross was treating and nursing allen, especially how he was angry all the time like when he was cleaning the blankets I just couldn't stop laughing.
Jul 1, 2011 2:14 PM

Feb 2010
Started out as cute, then descended right down to depressing real quick ;_;

I'm afraid 'Allen' isn't himself any more :'( But there's always hope for salvation....right?
Jul 1, 2011 2:26 PM

May 2008
It was soooo good to see Cross again. He indeed took care of Allen even if it was like a torture for him. Maybe this is why he treated Allen like a slave after :D
Nearing the end it indeed became quite depressing.
It's been a while when we got to see such clear drawings of the mangaka. I think this was much better than the previous chapters.
Jul 1, 2011 5:44 PM

Aug 2008
I wish it was longer, but i am happy after reading it after a while. I always wanted a chapter on his childhood after mana's death. Marian does care about him, i hope he isn't dead. But the way they talk about him being taken over by the 14th is depressing.
Jul 1, 2011 5:52 PM

Sep 2010
Ok chapter, but it was too short :\
Jul 1, 2011 6:14 PM

Aug 2009
is the lavi arc ever gonna happen?
Jul 1, 2011 6:25 PM

Jul 2007
Loved it.

Its really interesting chapter I would call "Interlude".

While hole chapter as bassically a big tease for the cliffhanger ending it had, its always nice to see more of Allen's backstory and Cross.

And yep, DGM still manages to mantain the absurdly awesome shifts from comedy to downright bleak depression.

5/5
Jul 1, 2011 6:44 PM

May 2009
This was a nice chapter. D.Gray-man is finally becoming good again.
Jul 1, 2011 6:52 PM

Nov 2009
Just like everyone else was thinking... waaaaaay too short. Especially when we've just experienced a 2-month hiatus. I've heard several things like the manga-ka was sick or her wrist is still healing. If that's the case, I'll hold my tongue. If it's not... why Hoshino先生, whyyyy? XD

The chapter was really good and entertaining in itself and I'm glad to hear we get another side story around July 15th! I'll definitely be looking forward to that!

I'm not sure how I feel about the current artwork. It's way too bold for my taste. There aren't as many minute details as we saw around the Timothy and G arc. I LOVED the artwork then, it was so mature, detailed and beautiful! I hope Hoshino先生 starts to turn towards that style more as her wrist heals! That art style inspired my own style! <3
Jul 1, 2011 7:30 PM

Jan 2009
Cute flashback to Mother. Too bad we didn't get to see them playing cards. I really liked her character from DGM Reverse. Sure didn't expect him to end up there though. I thought maybe Kanda, but can understand why he didn't go there.

So another side story huh? Wonder if that will contain more Reverse characters.

Jul 1, 2011 7:51 PM

Sep 2006
This chapter reads a lot like the typical D.Gray Man before the anime ended - clean and obvious direction. Hopefully this means Hosino sensei has decided not to go back to spamming as many noahs and "alternate" exorcists as possible, and just focus on a group of core characters. The story has taken a detour for long enough.
Jul 1, 2011 9:13 PM

Aug 2010
it was too short :( but good chapter.
Jul 2, 2011 1:43 AM

Sep 2008
Golden-Flute said:
I'm not sure how I feel about the current artwork. It's way too bold for my taste. There aren't as many minute details as we saw around the Timothy and G arc. I LOVED the artwork then, it was so mature, detailed and beautiful! I hope Hoshino先生 starts to turn towards that style more as her wrist heals! That art style inspired my own style! <3

love you for this.
her current style is one big piece of shit (sorry, but it's true). I hope Hoshino will see it someday.
Jul 2, 2011 1:54 AM

Apr 2008
It was actually a nice change to see something a bit more lighthearted as I feel the conent from the last year and a half has been so utterly depressing I'm surprised I haven't taken a razor to my wrists yet. Still not happy with the major artstyle change, but at this point me complaining really isn't going to make any difference.
Jul 2, 2011 2:21 AM

Oct 2009
iciclepop said:
it was too short :( but good chapter.
Jul 3, 2011 7:39 AM

Dec 2010
the chapter was really short, but it was still good! and we finally get to see more from Allens past :P looking forward to the next chapter!
Jul 3, 2011 10:57 AM

Feb 2011
I was truly dissapointed with this chapter.
I mean, this wasn´t absolutely worth the 2-month long wait! I thought about rating it 2/5 but unfortunately I don´t have the heart to rate a chapter of my favourite manga worse than 3.
I expected it´s going to be something long after a 2-month long break. But 21 pages were just dissapointment. Then, almost everything was a flashback - that´s one thing I really despise (Reason why I disliked Tenjou Tenge was it was almost all just flashbacks). Also, not much epicness going on....
But I´m not that negative. There were positive things about it too. Some parts of it were really too cute, so the atmoshphere here was disturbed. Yay for Allen´s cuteness :3

Final -> (A worse) 3/5 for this chapter.
Hope the next chapter will be epic... Since I really love this manga I don´t want it to go bad. :(
- This is a bucket.
- Dear god...
- There's more!
- No...
Jul 3, 2011 2:24 PM

May 2010
Allen past, decent chapter but short ;)

in this episode, you will die horribly... *laughs just as shion*
lightness vs. darkness
Nani mo kamo wo hoshigatteita Mayoeru mono no chikai
Mada miru sekai o tsukuridasu koto Kuchi hateteiku
Jul 3, 2011 3:38 PM

Jul 2009
Very interesting chapter and it was funny to see Marian caring for Allen as a child :P
Jul 4, 2011 6:47 AM

Jul 2010
I do not know why the hell should every strong-minded and quirky-by-arrogance character be turned into a joke. Aren't there people who think cool men should just be left being cool and not taking care of children?!

Anyways, the art was nice esp considering the injury(I didn't know about it, but I read it here now. Thanks for telling me even though it was unconsciously)... it was a cool chapter, but... I think it was definitely not worth the waiting. Too short and if I have to be really frank - unsuitable for the plot. Mr. Cross was the only male character left for me to cherish from my anime/manga stuff and now even he was turned into a joke.

Anyways, I suppose the chapter can even be considered very good, if I cared about Allen and not Cross, Bookman, Kanda, Noahs and the Earl... Sadly though, Allen is not worth even 20 pages in my own opinion, an old lady .... even less.

Jul 4, 2011 10:50 AM

Oct 2009
nice to see Cross again and it was a great chapter that showed us more about Allen's past which was definitely needed BUT....only 20 pages wtf
Jul 4, 2011 5:27 PM

Jun 2010
20 pages....wtf Hoshino?!

Anyways most likely "the 14th" took over Allen's body already, so I doubt he'll be himself in the next or the following chapter. =/
Jul 4, 2011 11:00 PM

Jan 2011
huh? what happened in this chapter? I know there was a flashback and all but in the present time what really happened in this chapter?!!
"Where will a newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite" - Motoko Kusanagi
Jul 5, 2011 4:22 AM

Mar 2010
cardtrick said:
huh? what happened in this chapter? I know there was a flashback and all but in the present time what really happened in this chapter?!!

Allen went to the house of the old lady everyone calls mother - she appeared in the novels before and I heard someone say she was in the anime too, but I don't remmeber it at all.
Rest of the chapter was really all flashback, it's just the last sites. And that mother wonders if Cross is still alive somewhere, personally I take this as just (another) hint.

mc said:
her current style is one big piece of shit (sorry, but it's true). I hope Hoshino will see it someday.

'...will see it someday?' What's that shit suppossed to mean? That she just doesn't try hard to enough drawing these days? Or better - she deliberatly draws worse to let herself get screwed by all the mindless little kids trolling around in the internet?
Really, some people need to get some respect and common sense kicked into their heads.
It's probably bad enough for Hoshino to have serious health issues and problems (you know, it's maybe hard to believe, but some arthropathys affect the wrists aswell), people could at least respect how she continues to work.
It's okay not to like the art style, I loved the older one much, much more too, but it's a complete different thing to post arrogant, disrespectful stuff like that. I'm sorry for Hoshino for some of the 'fans' she has.

I'm sorry for being bitchy now, but comments like that just piss me off.

Regarding the really cool stuff... new chapter <333
It got me really confused, to be honest. The way Cross talks sounds as if he knew Neah in person and pretty well at least. But Neah died about 35 years ago - so how old is Cross? It's likely anyway it has a reason why his age is still 'unknown' without an explanation 'till now (if I didn't just miss it), and he was a scientist before and is pretty knowing in terms of black magic... well, we'll have to wait and see.
There's way to many 'is he/she dead now?' going on in DGM by now - Cross, Kanda, and some poeple still ask that about Rhode. Still Cross is the only one really debatable anyway I guess~
But assuming Cross knew Neah, I'd guess thats why he can convert Akuma as shwon in the Edo Arc. Neah was a Noah after all, he should have known what Akumas really are and how everything works (what assuming from the Earls words the Order doesn't know).

And Allen... he's always cutest when shown as a bitchy little brat %D
Now that chapter furthers the Allen-has-personality-issues theory pretty good, huh?
Just said as a side note, I think Neah looks a lot like Allen anyway - or maybe better to say Allen looks like Neah. Makes it look even worse (and I'm still trying to see how Neah is suppossed to look like Tyki ô.o)
Jul 6, 2011 7:59 AM
Mar 2009
Wow, the art took a serious hit this chapter.

It was still interesting to find out more of the backstory of Allen and Cross.
Jul 6, 2011 11:27 AM

Sep 2008
AmayaRayka said:
mc said:

'...will see it someday?' What's that shit suppossed to mean? That she just doesn't try hard to enough drawing these days? Or better - she deliberatly draws worse to let herself get screwed by all the mindless little kids trolling around in the internet?
Really, some people need to get some respect and common sense kicked into their heads.
It's probably bad enough for Hoshino to have serious health issues and problems (you know, it's maybe hard to believe, but some arthropathys affect the wrists aswell), people could at least respect how she continues to work.
It's okay not to like the art style, I loved the older one much, much more too, but it's a complete different thing to post arrogant, disrespectful stuff like that. I'm sorry for Hoshino for some of the 'fans' she has.

I'm sorry for being bitchy now, but comments like that just piss me off.

I was big D.Gray-man and Hoshino's fan. now not, because I'm very disappointed what she's done with one of the greatest manga EVER. it's not like I hate or something, I just think she makes mess now, in everything. I know it could be sad for you, reading her work is piece of shit.
and I know about her health problems. right now the best way for her is to finish D.Gray-man as soon as possible or make very long hiatus till she will be ok for sure. Yoko Matsushita, the author of Yami no Matsuei, said that she is afraid of finishing her manga because her art style could change a bit. in my opinion, Hoshino should do the same thing.
Jul 7, 2011 4:07 AM
Aug 2009
You want her to rush an ending or go on a long-term hiatus? Do you even check to see what you're saying before you post it? You're basically telling Hoshino to turn D.Gray-man into a trainwreck just because you can't cope with a small artwork change. That's bullshit.

Every other D.Gray-man fan has already accepted the fact that Hoshino is a very frail girl who should be able to draw in a way that doesn't kill her. When she drew the way you obviously preferred, she got back and wrist problems and had to go on hiatus every couple of weeks. This culminated when she went on a four month hiatus, drew eight chapters, and went on another three month hiatus. When she came back her art was different, but she only had to go on hiatus once in these past two years. As someone who used to be a fan of D.Gray-man and Hoshino, you seem to care very little about the both of them.

You won't realize how much you love the fact that you're getting a D.Gray-man chapter period until she goes on another half-a-year hiatus. In 2008/2009 the fans were satisfied to just get 19 pages. Now, because Hoshino's regularly serializing chapters again, everyone has become a whiny bitch who forgets why it's monthly in the first place.
JaymieJul 7, 2011 4:12 AM
Jul 7, 2011 5:52 AM

Sep 2008
I just want to see D.Gray-man like it was in 2008 or 2009, because then her story and art were briliant.

the fact is I can't accept what she's doing now.
after hiatus her art style was different. some people think this happened because Hoshino changed her assistants. in the other hand, I saw her drawings from Jump Festa 2011, they were different than in manga, and much more better.

I care about her, because her works are so precious for me. she created beautiful reality, which is my favourite now. and, I have to say it again, I know about her health problems. and, again, she should better go to long hiatus and take care of herself.

you judge me because I say my opinion. well, it's rude...
Jul 7, 2011 9:56 AM

Mar 2010
mc said:
you judge me because I say my opinion. well, it's rude...

Nobody is jugding you because you have an opinion.
You get comments like mine because your disrespectful towards Hoshino and her work.
Because you behave like a spoiled little brat - even worse(!) when you know about her health problems and decide to IGNORE it and bitch around anyway. See, what you want or what you not want is one thing, it's another thing what Hoshino can do now without harming herself.
And keep in mind that the desicion to go on hiatus doesn't belong to her alone. Or that she might want to continue working because she likes it. And if you want to or not you have to respect her desicion - take your censequences (like dropping DGM) or whatever, but don't judge Hoshino when you don't have the right to.

If you don't like DGM or her art style anymore that's perfectly fine, and noone would judge you for that. Then drop it.
But instead you are the one whos being rude and acting arrogant - if DGM is 'such a piece of shit' then let it be.

I actually think the story is still great - it got confusing somewhere along the 'hiatus - active - hiatus - active' time, but that's understandable.
And the Artwork isn't bad or anything close to it, it's just different than before. Hoshino is still an awesome mangaka and I'm very glad that she didn't go on hiatus again (although if she'd decide to, I'd be fine with it if it helps her getting better).
Jul 7, 2011 12:49 PM

Sep 2008
now taking part in this conversation don't make sense for me.
sorry if I hurt you, my opinion is my opinion.
Jul 7, 2011 3:00 PM
Aug 2009
mc said:
now taking part in this conversation don't make sense for me.
sorry if I hurt you, my opinion is my opinion.

mc, nothing's wrong with having an opinion, but you have to understand if you don't want this manga to continue there are tons of other fans who still don't agree and still adore this manga to bits, and you're free to drop it since you think nothing of it more than a "piece of shit".

anyways, good non-angsty chapter, I'm starting to get convinced that Cross is human, I couldn't help but to view Allen from a completely different point of view, he is getting more interesting than I thought.
Jul 8, 2011 9:54 AM

Sep 2008
God...
people, please read everything.
Jul 10, 2011 1:30 PM

Jul 2009
JustMyself said:
I do not know why the hell should every strong-minded and quirky-by-arrogance character be turned into a joke. Aren't there people who think cool men should just be left being cool and not taking care of children?!

I don't see how stepping up to look after a child in need makes Cross any less cool. In fact, it makes him even more of a badass.
Jul 11, 2011 4:52 PM
May 2011
depressing chapter but good
Jul 12, 2011 7:17 AM

Jan 2009
I never would have thought Allen suffered so hard after he killed Akuma-Mana. T_T Cross part definitely makes me happy and funny. Never imagine Cross would do such things. xD Interesting to introduction Mother into the actual series and she actually know the 14th stuff.
Jul 28, 2011 8:10 PM

Feb 2010
Rizzle said:
JustMyself said:

I don't see how stepping up to look after a child in need makes Cross any less cool. In fact, it makes him even more of a badass.

I completely agree with this.
Aug 25, 2011 8:21 AM
Nov 2010
Rizzle said:
JustMyself said:

I also agree with this...

A pretty nice chapter, we found out a bit more about Allen's past...
As for the present, I didn't expect for Allen to go there... I wonder what he's gonna do, I sure want to see him against the order...
May 28, 2017 4:32 PM
Mar 2016
the art is "too anime for me" is not characteristic anymore and reminds me to the design of any generic anime of these years. About the story, well is allen as a little boy, is not bad i suppose but the comedy is very "over the top" and silly. I would prefer that the manga were a little more serious.
Jul 5, 2017 4:22 PM

Feb 2013
Cross acting like his father was kinda funny.

More topics from this board

Poll: » D.Gray-man Chapter 251 Discussion

Mei-o_Scarlett - Today

3 by Mei-o_Scarlett »»
3 hours ago

» How is d gray man? Should you get into it?

MonadProxyy - Feb 21, 2022

18 by Enbu_Kirikaze »»
Mar 17, 2:49 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Chapter 250 Discussion

DarkHumor04 - Jan 22

7 by Roxas232 »»
Mar 16, 12:36 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Chapter 249 Discussion

Mei-o_Scarlett - Oct 26, 2023

7 by Enbu_Kirikaze »»
Jan 13, 8:31 AM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Chapter 242 Discussion

Illyricus - Nov 9, 2021

14 by SoulReaper01_ »»
Dec 4, 2023 4:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.