Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 25, 2011 11:31 AM

Aug 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, this beat movies 1 and 2, but I am still deciding if it beat movie 3.

I mostly enjoyed this film (and LOL at the dubs rock music), but I found Gohan's whistling shouldn't have hurt Slug all that much. His hearing is much better, but still. Falling to the ground in pain is too much. Otherwise, okay film.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Mar 29, 2012 5:47 AM

Nov 2011
Not the worst movie of the bunch. But one of the lower end ones. And I liked the music choices in the dub I just don't agree with it being a good fit for dbz
Nov 27, 2013 11:54 AM

May 2012
Didn't expect the enemy to be a Namekian as well, this sure was a pretty nice movie, lets see what the next one will offer!
Dec 17, 2013 10:03 PM

Jun 2009
Better than the last movie, not sure if it was better than the first two though, although it undoubtedly had a different tone. Interesting to see how Toei thought Super Saiyan would look (now known among fans as False Super Saiyan). Remember, this movie came out BEFORE Super Saiyan was drawn up in in the manga so nobody knew anything about it other than the continuous mentions of it by Vegeta/Frieza. Funny to see that Roshi slept through the entire thing, so in-character. Another defeat via fucking Spirit Bomb, what is that, three movies in a row now? God damn.

Quoting what I posted last movie.

Tyestor said:
There's a list on Kanzenshuu that shows where each movie takes place and where you can watch them while watching DBZ despite the fact that all the DBZ movies technically take place in an alternate universe. http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=573
Jan 26, 2014 11:04 PM

Oct 2009
Why not destroy satellite first?
Why not use Kaio-ken?
Couldn't Slugg just remove his ears as well?
And there should be another 1-year gap from the previous film
SerhiykoAug 31, 2017 11:14 AM
Feb 26, 2014 4:47 AM

Jan 2013
Serhiyko said:

Lol cool :).

Was quite good and nice that the victory wasn't entirely based on the Genki Dama. Strange though that the previous movie was about Goku's race and now Piccolo's.
8/10
Jun 13, 2016 10:24 AM

Feb 2016
Another okay movie to me, what's with all the villains wanting Eternal Life pretty much? Eternal Youth in this case but still pretty close... The same goal being reused several times is a bit much to me.

At least we learn from this movie that Namekians have a keen sense of hearing I guess. I guess they'd be screwed if someone was using a bullhorn if whistling hurts their ears. Also learning of these 'Ancient Namekians'.

That small little green minion of Lord Slug's was a like a weird troll to me, weirdo lol. Lord Slug's minions were pretty meaningless, they couldn't really fight.

Hoping the next movie is more action packed and developed compared to the rest of these films.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Aug 8, 2018 8:56 PM

Jul 2017
Pretty decent movie overall with some goofy stuff (Gohan's whistling hurting Slug, Piccolo ripping off his ears, Goku powering up a bunch out of nowhere and becoming proto-Super Saiyan). I really liked the background in the city scenes before everything got destroyed. The story with the ancient Namekians was kind of cool and creepy too. I always like these earlier DBZ parts with less Saiyans too; it was nice to see Yajirobe and Piccolo so prominently.
Jan 25, 2019 1:45 PM
Oct 2017
Hahah hearing the "super namekuseijin" sure made me laugh
Mar 17, 2019 9:21 AM

Jul 2016
Strange the slight dislike from this film. I'm not sure why people need to compare the previous films all the time.. I just take it for what it is. I really enjoyed Gohan's whistling to help decrease and annoy Slug's power (it is pretty damn catchy and cute). Something different that was executed pretty well :).

Very solid movie!
Sep 5, 2019 6:37 AM

Nov 2017
Not the worst DBZ movie, but it's alright. I actually like Lord Slug's design with the helmet and his garb lol.

"I'm bored, it's time for you to die!"

My favourite scene in the movie, and that Disturbed song gets a fella hyped!
Jan 5, 2020 3:27 AM

Mar 2010
Havent watched movie 3 yet but this one yesterday. For me its slightly weaker than the second one, which is still my favorit out of those I have seen so far, but it was not bad by any means. Although some scenes like the whistling part (first in the intro sequence and later in the fight) were kind of cringe/awkward moments.
Also I found some scenes/situations seemed forced, like why did Gohan return alone with Oolong (+Dragon) to spy? What was the purpose of that, or Piccolo saving Gohan scene once more like in DBZ etc.

Otherwise they did a solid job with this movie, Krillin could have had a bit more screen time, all he had was to get a punch by Slug and being out, thats it... But the other fights were all decent and the development of them too.

I was only a bit confused about Goku, after his initial beating by Slug he looked like Super Sayiajin but with dark hair? Later we havent seen this in the movie but instead normal shape Kaioken and finally of course the "Sun" Genkidama (only small though around the arms...).

Slug becoming the giant reminded me so much of Piccolo before DBZ. It seems like a namekian thing although later on nobody (except Slug now) seemed to use it.

Overall I would say not perfect but still watchable movie in a range of 6 or 7 out of 10.
Jun 25, 2020 5:32 PM

Aug 2017
Honestly, I don't think this film deserves all the hate it gets. I actually prefer this one to Super Android 13 and Return of Cooler. The prototype Super Saiyan design, while not as visually unique (at the time) as the final product, was still interesting to see.

That being said, couldn't Piccolo have just stretched his arms (which we see Slug doing in the same movie) in order to reach Goku's hand to give him his energy?
Some of you never watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers on TeleToon in 2008 and it shows.
REST IN PEACE KENTAROU MIURA
Jul 25, 2020 3:23 AM
Jul 2018
What an oddly irrational movie this has been. Many questions arose within my mind during all the fighting. For instance, why did Goku wait until after he was battered and beaten down to resort to his Kaioken, especially after he learned how powerful his enemy is? Why didn't Piccolo stretch his hand to reach Goku to give him his energy? And just why didn't Slug rip off his ears to get a peace of mind from Gohan's whistling? And what's up with Goku's Super Saiyan transformation? Implementing such a long-awaited -at the time- transfiguration in a non-canon movie is pretty questionable. Thankfully, from what I gathered from the comments, this transformation design was just a prototype.

Slug, being a villain and a Namiken, does draw a contrast with the long-dead King Piccolo, if you think about it. King Piccolo, despite his many faults, cared quite a lot for his subordinates, yet Slug, impatient as ever, mercilessly kills his minions out of annoyance. They're both Namikens, had the same goal of eternal youth, and were villains to boot. So this kind of slight distinction is noteworthy.

Still, for me, this was a cool film despite the apparent criticisms it garners. One of the weaker films it may be so far, I would give it a 6/10.
Oct 5, 2020 12:20 PM
May 2019
Another painfully average movie. Though, I liked this a bit more than the previous one. This time the antagonist was a Namekian, and a rather strong one at that, it seems. I really wasn't expecting Goku to go super saiyan, something that hadn't even happened in the anime yet. I was sort of amused to see Slug tremble at the sound of whistling though - didn't know that about the Namekians.
Jun 1, 2022 10:36 PM

Nov 2010
Damn, that Super Saiyan 0.5 was badass!

Yeah right, stronger than Frieza. All it took was a whistle, Kaio-ken, and mini spirit bomb to beat him. lol

7/10
Oct 12, 2023 2:12 AM

Nov 2012
the english dub music is sooo good, surprised to hear it's divisive. Sure it's a case of a vocal minority as most DB fans I speak to love this style of music for DB. I think it's actually something that makes the English dub of DB so good, possibly the best anime dub out there. I think it undoubtedly played a big roll in DB becoming the titan of success it did, maybe if other anime dubs got similar dub treatments they'd go a lot further. Everything from the castings to the music, really captured the magic of the show. A lot of dubs feel lazy by comparison.

I think this is the first movie with such a dub soundtrack right? at least I didn't notice it in 1-3.

Slug is a great villain and the pseudo-super saiyan certainly makes it a unique movie.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers

More topics from this board

» damn fan edits

-White_Rabbit- - Jul 7, 2009

8 by JVskunkape »»
Oct 12, 2023 12:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.