Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail Episode 5 Discussion

Nov 20, 2014 2:29 PM

This season really let me down. I mean, it was still incredibly enjoyable... but it just felt as if there was not a whole lot of substance. Perhaps if it were longer I would have enjoyed it more. This ending, in particular, is kind of a let-down. There needs to be more, but isn't. Ah well, better luck with the manga, I hope.

Dec 20, 2014 10:13 AM

I thought it was going to be just about Roberta fixing her past problems etc ...
But damn this season was pretty darn good.

There were some inconsistencies regarding Roberta, but I feel it didnt make it worse.
Rock finally knowing his place, and letting other people know what he's capable of.

Felt sad seeing Revy's past though, but she doesnt need my pity ^^

10/10 like the other 2 seasons.

Dec 29, 2014 3:45 PM
I thought this season was really one of the better. It's unfortunate that it was so short, but I think a lot of character development happened.

From Rock we are starting to see his dark side. In the last season, when Rock was telling Balalaika how he enjoys manipulating people we assume that he's only trying to not get shot. However, now we are seeing that Rock is in serious inner conflict between holding onto his morals and his secret pleasure in manipulating the game.

As far as the ending where people are confused, here is my understanding and correct me if I'm wrong... Rock's goal was to try to bring down Roanapur. Mr. Chang is secretly backed by the CIA for unknown reasons, but is really quite resentful of the arrangement. Here's where things get confusing.

The American CIA and the NSA are not working together but are acting as competitors. Where the CIA seems interested in influence and behind-the-curtain work, the NSA is more direct (bombing in South America that kills Garcia's dad). Rock believes that Chang is trying to keep Roanapur hidden by using Roberta to frustrate the Americans.

Rock believes that if he helps the Americans then he will prevent them from losing interest and abandoning Roanapur (as America did during Vietnam). He thinks that if America has a presence in the city that surely they would want to bring peace and justice to it. He succeeds in helping the Americans. However, in the very end he is surprised not only that Roanapur remains unchanged but that despite successfully completing their mission, America seems content to let Roanapur remain the cesspool that it is.

Jan 23, 2015 5:32 PM

that was fucked up

Feb 19, 2015 10:15 PM

I've really like the ending of the OAV. I can't say that I'm a big fan of Black Lagoon because sometime I felt some stuff was too over the top and some situations Revy and Rock shouldn't got out alive.

But on the other Black Lagoon was different. Not too much fan service, made for an older crowd, gun play action (which is a rarity in anime), 80's/early 90's American action movie style to it, and the only characters that was cutey was the children. These things kept me watching the series.

This OAV just made things felt a bit more real and dire in the sense of being in line of danger. If Roberta would have came out of this whole thing unscathed, then if a third season would of happened then I would of felt no reason to watch because I already know no matter how dangerous the situation is that the cool characters is going to always make it out alive without a scratch.

It dove into some character development a little bit which I haven't seen in a while in this series. I get the point that they was trying to make with Rock development but I just think a few parts it wasn't executed well. Overall the best part of the series for me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Mar 8, 2015 6:11 AM

The ending was really ;_;

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.

Mar 8, 2015 4:24 PM

After all these months, and all the research I did, still I'm disappointed. Of all stories in the Black Lagoon, they need to change the one I really care. I don't think I'll ever get over this episode, because what it should be a path for atonement, ultimately led the amazing character to nowhere. She even let go of the revenge, but it seems that only bad things happens to a good people.

Mar 13, 2015 7:27 PM

Wow, I didnt know roberta was messed up that badly.

I see Rock went insane after all, not that I'm surprised, everyone was insane.

9/10.

Mar 18, 2015 2:42 AM
Dzra said:
I thought this season was really one of the better. It's unfortunate that it was so short, but I think a lot of character development happened.

From Rock we are starting to see his dark side. In the last season, when Rock was telling Balalaika how he enjoys manipulating people we assume that he's only trying to not get shot. However, now we are seeing that Rock is in serious inner conflict between holding onto his morals and his secret pleasure in manipulating the game.

As far as the ending where people are confused, here is my understanding and correct me if I'm wrong... Rock's goal was to try to bring down Roanapur. Mr. Chang is secretly backed by the CIA for unknown reasons, but is really quite resentful of the arrangement. Here's where things get confusing.

The American CIA and the NSA are not working together but are acting as competitors. Where the CIA seems interested in influence and behind-the-curtain work, the NSA is more direct (bombing in South America that kills Garcia's dad). Rock believes that Chang is trying to keep Roanapur hidden by using Roberta to frustrate the Americans.

Rock believes that if he helps the Americans then he will prevent them from losing interest and abandoning Roanapur (as America did during Vietnam). He thinks that if America has a presence in the city that surely they would want to bring peace and justice to it. He succeeds in helping the Americans. However, in the very end he is surprised not only that Roanapur remains unchanged but that despite successfully completing their mission, America seems content to let Roanapur remain the cesspool that it is.

I agree with this and think it helped clear some things up for me or enforced beliefs I already had.

Mar 18, 2015 2:49 AM
It was awesome to see some of Revys back story even though it was sad(What would we expect) I thought the art in this episode looked exceptional. Man was Roberta a beast in the jungles. I Really liked when the soldier blocked the rod with his rifle although blocking the musket with his gut didn't work as well. I liked the quote from Dutch,"Money and guns never go out of style and that's not going to change anytime soon." I think it sums up Rocks effort in the OVA very well.

All said and watched I really liked this installment in the Black Lagoon series. I would give it a 9/10

Apr 11, 2015 10:55 PM
I enjoyed seeing rocks dark side for once. Shows how long he's been in roanpur (Or however you spell it) Affects hmi throughout the whole anime but his intentions were purely good. He wanted to save someone and despite all the risk he did. I don't like Garcia and his maid is upset at him manipulating them when it was ultimately to save the one they wished to be saved. There was no way in hell they were gonna get her back with a low risk strategy rock playing high risk was the best way imo. anyone who reads the manga is roberta in such a bad state? And do we see her or garcia ever again?

Apr 12, 2015 12:10 AM

swordman009 said:
anyone who reads the manga is roberta in such a bad state? And do we see her or garcia ever again?

Nope, she's OK. The only injuries she got was a scratch on hers left cheek, and wounded left arm, but without any permanent damage. There is one flashback in the volume 10, and that is about it, but manga hasn't progressed much after El baile de la Muerte arc, so there is still a chance she would come back.

Apr 24, 2015 6:29 PM
Rated solely on entertaining factor this show is 9. But if you rate this based on details i wouldnt give it more 5. First and main, it had no real story, story arcs were fun, but lacking the main story is just bad. At least they could do main story in the background and then put the dot on the "i" in the last arc. But fine, w.e. 2nd, Revy, most bad ass gunslinger out there. She is known for her ruthless and accuracy, she jump from boat to boat owning dozens of people singlehandedly with no problem but when it comes to some guy who fight her with a sword, 20 metars away she fail to hit him with 2 guns in her hands. I call that a BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULL SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT. Terminator maid, that is what i call the fun. jumping from building to building with .50 cal sniper. Talking about illogical action, she was on perfect vantage point but she had to stand up and fire that snipe like it is LMG. I guess Rock was good character. He got tired of the city and tried to plot against its leaders, but failed miserably. I expected that or his plan will work or it will fail and someone will kill him, but yet he lives. There is a lot more of that in this show but no matter what, it is still damn fun.

I went trough some reviewers profiles and i see there is so much hypocrisy on this website. They rate this show high, but then go rate other shows based on details, im sure there is a lot more of those people, a lot.
Modified by Narco, Apr 25, 2015 4:50 AM

May 13, 2015 9:40 PM
I don't know why people are going on about how madhouse messed it up by butchering Roberta. It's the manga that messed up. It was obvious from episode 1 she was in a downward spiral to her imminent death going against literally everyone else in the show. What's the point of going on a self-destructive rampage if it isn't self-destructive? Even terminators usually die in the end of the movies and their carnage is nothing compared to Roberta. It's already extremely unrealistic even for Black Lagoon for her to walk away with only that.

You guys want her to get off scot free? That's like the ultimate cop out and would completely ruin the show. If people in the show can get away with that without facing any consequences than what is the point of even watching? You will no longer believe anyone other than the token arc characters are in any danger and the whole thing would devolve into a trash anime almost as bad as bleach.

Instead, by crippling her, it gives meaning to the arc and immortalizes the rampage for the rest of the show. Every time you see the character, you will see the wounds she has suffered and you will remember what the character has gone through.

And the fact is, Roberta will never ever be able to top herself as far as crazy self destructive rampages. It's good that the anime knew that the character was done in that department instead of trying to keep milking it to the point of ruin like other shows do. I give Madhouse props on making this change despite all the risks of not being able to adapt future material and alienating some manga fans. It was definitely worth it this time.
Modified by Tehemai, May 13, 2015 10:31 PM

May 26, 2015 4:22 PM

Sad Revy...

We saw some pedophillia with Roberta and Garcia lololol

Jul 23, 2015 4:15 PM
honestly, I wanted Roberta to not get injured at all and just slaugther her way through this night. I am somewhat dissapointed but on the other hand this is a fitting end. I'm quite torn on this one, but still I wanted her to stay the badass she once was.

so from my feelings 1/5 but on the other hand a full 6/5

...storys they just fuck with my head. I swear to you guys, one day I'll go insane..

Aug 27, 2015 4:12 PM

A somehow unstatisfying ending, though I expected worse. Revy was the only decent character though, Chang was close.

Sep 28, 2015 9:58 PM

Roberta losing fingers and being a real cripple was a win. Rock finally wins and grows a fucking spine. Though in the end, he realizes how insignificant he is. Revy just being Revy...but we got to see a bit about her past.

Overall, good mindless fun. Good action series that wasn't boring due to the over the top uncensored action that goes on.
8/10

Sep 28, 2015 10:06 PM

ah i fucking miss this

any word on a continuation?

Oct 3, 2015 2:44 PM
greensuede said:
Dzra said:

I agree with this and think it helped clear some things up for me or enforced beliefs I already had.

Good points. But if that really were the motives of Rock and the backstory of Change, then the show should have done a way better job of explaining this whole plot. From the beginning on, it really just seemed like "Roberta is coming to town, the Americans will follow, that's bad for business, so let's make a plan to get them all out of the city". Rock's "puzzle" in the beginning and what exactly his own ambitions were seemed really unintelligible to me. Still don't get who exactly he thought he could save and in which ways his plan succeeded and in which ways it didn't.
Obviously, the show is still entertaining for the badassery alone.

Oct 6, 2015 10:34 PM

the ova ending was way off the manga ending... >.>
the only injury roberta had was a gunshot wound on her shoulder, and revy was not raped in the manga, i don't get why the animation staff have to change it tbh.

the manga was 10/10 for me, but the OVA is 4/10, so terrible.

anyway im surprised that no one's talking about garcia hooking up with the maid, well as of right now it may look a bad match up, but a couple of years more and i think it may actually work out. for me garcia looks too young in the anime compared to the manga

Oct 21, 2015 7:46 AM

Oh my gosh. That ending scene where she met the family of that man she killed. I started crying.

Also Rock can go die in a whole. He annoyed me before but now he's just a huge dick. I was rooting for someone to shoot him in the face and I was so happy when Revy decked him.
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)

Nov 22, 2015 4:14 PM

I'm so confused, i have no idea what rock plan was and if it succeed or not, if he was faking the crazy talking or he has gone insane, and the final scene with him and revy, so they hated each other or they love each other ?

I've never been so confused with an anime before....
"All men are jealous and stupid, and all women are stupid to be happy about it, idiots are everywhere you look!"

Holo-Spice And Wolf

Dec 18, 2015 10:53 PM

Thank God this hollywood anime ended....

Dec 25, 2015 12:10 AM

WOW Roberto is crazy. Good OVA overall.

Sequel when?
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.

Dec 31, 2015 1:10 PM

I'm quite sure that Madhouse made sure to communicate with the author if he had any future plans with Roberta regarding crazy action which seemingly wasn't the case, and so they decided to spice up her final confrontation with the NSA soldiers by showing she's actually has limits, like any human. While it wasn't a pretty sight to me at all, I do understand their decision for this as it was always about Garcia and especially Roberta breaking the cycle of violence and death that they kept treading. By having Roberta accept her past sins and becoming crippled, they pretty much sealed the deal on their fate, so there shouldn't be any future reason for her to use a gun anymore, if all goes well.

To explain her performance drop from Terminator in season 1 to this, it's probably because she was already mentally disturbed due to her overdose on pills which made her fight inefficiently and too reckless, and a few injuries quickly lead to a ton of them in that environment.

It was peculiar how Caxton helped Roberta afterwards though. That woman constantly chased him and eventually killed off half of his unit and somehow he decided to make time searching for family of her past victims, so she could make amends the best she can.

They also never really explain what Rock's plan was in that jungle. Was it to somehow let her get in touch with Garcia, have him call her out to him and then use blank bullets to fake shooting Caxton and after that Roberta, to make her trust him again and accept her sins? There are so many things that could go wrong with that vague plan, and why didn't they just give Garcia a megaphone or something, so that he could have called her out before she got into a meaningless battle with the soldiers first? Would have saved Roberta a few limbs and the unit a few men. After Roberta sprinted away into the forest, they could have backed off and just do the entire thing they did with Garcia to bring her back. Perhaps it might have played out in a negative way if she was still physically fit during that time, I don't know. All I'm saying is that the whole clash with the soldiers seemed avoidable to me.

In any case, it was an enjoyable OVA series overall and a good addition to the Black Lagoon series. And who knows, perhaps Roberta will some day return, but this time in a more civilized fashion.
Modified by Nuky93, Dec 31, 2015 6:48 PM

Jan 14, 2016 12:05 PM
I kinda hated how rock was so much out of character at first but at the end i was a little satisfied.A quote from Attack on titan came into mind that goes something like,"Some times you have to throw your humanity for the betterment" or something like that and made me a little satisfied.

Mar 3, 2016 4:06 PM
Black_Wolf_90 said:
julio55555 said:

I didn't understand that ending with Roberta and the picture though, I had no idea who those people were.

That was the family of a guy roberta killed long ago you know that guy who was appearing in robertas hallucinations.

well first off JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!! THANK. YOU, good sir! just finished watching the OVA and alot of confusing shit happened but the only thing that actually ticked me off was that I couldnt fucking figure out who those two bastards were.. so thank you, really, now I can finally move on with my life and actually get som sleep.. so fucking tired but now I can finally die peacefully knowing that I have finally found closure...
This message is brought to you by Hinata´s Boobs

Mar 10, 2016 10:47 PM

Didn't care too much for this ending. That kiss was disturbing.

Mar 14, 2016 9:49 PM

Just throwing some points down.

First of all, Roberta should have died. They talk about sin, and such, but she continues to live after all of that. Even practically, the US would have ended her and taken out the kid if he got in the way. Its like for some reason they forgot they were undergoing a mission. I don't think this trickshow should have been enough to pull her back from "the dead".

It wasn't clear to me who "won". I thought Rock did but then he said he didn't in the final scene think? He wanted to save Roberto and the kid right? Confused. From where i'm standing, it seems Chang had this. He was eager to have Rock on board because he knew it would turn out like this. I think he wanted the NSA to get out of the region pretty much.

Belilika's role was just to prove that her forces though unrecognized were and are one of the greatest forces on the Earth. She in laymen terms is butthurt over the fall of the soviets, which is fair.

All that CIA and NSA business was not clear, we can only theorize at this point.

I think most of the story developed relativity well, but the ending was sort of "meh". It wasn't really and ending so to speak. It makes you think what the point was. One a final note, I think its worth remembering that Rock likes to go through this process of trying to save people because its his "hobby". He likes getting fucked up, thats on him.
Modified by troylaw, Mar 14, 2016 9:54 PM

May 22, 2016 3:48 AM
It's kinda fitting that she loses one arm and a foot as the ending song used in the other blood trail episodes lyrics goes

"Where are the legs with which you run,
Hurroo Hurroo
Where are the legs with which you run,
Hurroo Hurroo
Where are the legs with which you run,
When first you went to carry a gun
Indeed your dancing days are done
Johnny I hardly knew ya

[Chorus]

You hadn't an arm, you hadn't a leg,
Hurroo Hurroo
You hadn't an arm, you hadn't a leg,
Hurroo Hurroo
You hadn't an arm, you hadn't a leg
You're a spinless, boneless, chickenless egg
You'll Have to be put with the bowl to beg
Johnny I hardly knew ya"

Jun 24, 2016 6:20 PM

If it wasn't for that weird face off between Garcia and Roberto I would've easily been more satisfied with the ending, great ova nonetheless.

I'm sure gonna miss Revy now that this is over.

Jul 7, 2016 11:50 PM

I don't know about this kind of ending
I'm not really satisfied with all of that though
Also, I really don't like Fabiola afterall.. That's not how you treat someone that trying to help you
Even if his intention kinda evil-ish
"Signature removed"

Sep 10, 2016 2:33 PM

Everyone seems to be complaining or at least discussing how overpowered Roberta is... Which I completely understand. I'm just thankful she wasn't the typical anime-bad-guy-that's-over-powered-for-the-sake-of-giving-the-main-characters-a-challenge character. The way she doesn't obey her will alone and expresses her utmost loyalty to Garcia is what, in my opinion, makes her such a great character. Call me chliché, but I'm a real sucker for the 'gentle giant' trope.

Oct 15, 2016 3:02 PM

Well, now I'm depressed!

Nov 15, 2016 5:45 AM

it was fine. a bit tragic ending.
and I hate it seeing revy's past,

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful

Jun 30, 2017 6:11 PM

What a great way to end a great series- now this is one hell of a finale!

Rock thought he had everyone dancing in the palm of his hand, but Chang had him dancing in the palm of his hand...who's basically dancing in the palm of Eda's hand.

We know who really runs Roanapur lol
I loved the development in Rock- he's now willing to make sacrifices and take risks to save others...you can't win without taking action or trying to play the game. This time it didn't go exactly to plan, but next time who knows. I also loved the parallels between Rock & Revy and Garcia & Roberta.

Wow, Roberta got fucked up real bad, Her foot is gone, he lost an arm, she lost two fingers and is in a bloody wheelchair.
But hey, she got smooched by Garcia so she'll be fine lol
Her blush was pretty cute...and hey, I'm a sucker for age gaps anyway. It was bound to happen eventually, I mean Roberta and Garcia are waaaayy too obsessed with each other.

Those were big steps she made at the end there, deciding to meet the family of that man she killed. Hats off to her trying to move forward. I love Roberta, she's definitely the best girl in Black Lagoon.

It's sad that we won't be getting any more because there isn't enough manga content...but, hey maybe one day!

EDIT: Revy's past- although expected- was pretty horrid to see. She got raped & beaten by a cop, beaten to hell and back by her dad and god knows what else. Looks like she shot the guy though :/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Oct 10, 2017 3:59 AM

Damn Roberta become a half corpse.

Oct 31, 2017 7:37 AM

Pretty damn solid last episode, and boy that ending! Really crazy arc I must say. Everything went quite hectic and came to a fantastic conclusion.

Really great and damn Revy's flashback was quite horrible as well!

Quite the last episode of this franchise I must say, all in all I quite enjoyed it!

Nov 3, 2017 12:55 PM

Rock acting all mighty & smug really pissed me off, damn I never liked that character and never will. Also what Fabiola said to Revy really sunk in and bothered her ( by remembering her past), I think she was right though. But overall I am glad Roberta was alive in the end and I guess she was pardoned for killing those, but why though it does not make sense but who cares.

I will give it 7/10 for Rosita's maniac episodes.
¡Ay, caramba! --- Bart Simpson

Dec 14, 2017 11:40 PM
Am I the only sane person here? I did NOT enjoy Roberta's Blood Trail.

I gave it a 5/10.

It's like they just decided to abandon all sense of realism. That's not to say the show had a ton to begin with, but it still felt grounded before. Not anymore. Roberta was on the roof right in the open and all the soldiers shoot their machine guns at her WHILE she's standing still, reloading, and she STILL DOESN'T GET HIT???? When I saw that, I just lost all respect for the show. I find it insulting when a studio tries to pull one over on its viewers like that, like we should just accept it. No. If they want to give her plot-hole armor, they need to at least come up with a better excuse than nervous system boosters.

And aside from realism, they effed with the characters. Yeah, it's cool to see Rock acting all cool, but that came out of nowhere. There's no way he would be that cold and calculating all of a sudden. He basically went from Rock to Light Yagami.

Also, it was obviously rushed. A lot of story elements weren't really explained well. And after all of Rock's planning and coordination, it apparently didn't actually do anything and we weren't given any reason why except "I guess it isn't time yet." WHAT?

Don't even get me started on Garcia. Somehow this kid who was crying just an episode before, has the sudden ability to put on a show like he did in the final episode? Acting all cool. And that kiss??? WTF? He's a kid. She's an adult. No one else gonna question the pedo vibes?

And cheap animation. The only reason everyone is suddenly smoking a cigarette all the time in this arc is because it allows the animators to skip animating the mouth moving when they speak.

The only good things that came from this episode were Revy's backstory development, and Garcia (she was awesome).

Just had to vent that. Sheesh. Y'all need to be more critical of your anime. Keep in mind, I've watched Gurren Lagann which is about unrealistic as it's gonna get, but I loved it, because that's the universe they established. Not so with this show.

Hope if/when they continue the anime that they return to form.

Jan 22, 2018 6:40 AM

just finished this episode, which chapter should I read to continue the story?
4th times getting signature banned wtf

Feb 15, 2018 5:39 PM

I enjoyed this. 8/10
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"

May 14, 2018 4:29 PM

Posting for anyone who was as confused as I was during all the excitement. I got certain aspects but not the overall picture of Rock's plan.

https://www.reddit.com/r/blacklagoon/comments/8h7o8v/just_finished_rbt_and_im_really_confused_about/dyhp7yx/

I'd only want to add that Rock's gamble allowed him to finally save someone, even though it was reckless. So as much as the CIA won overall, Rock had a win in that regard.

May 19, 2018 3:18 AM

zimno said:
I didn't quite understand.....because im an idiot.
but i enjoyed it!

Same here, last 4 eps was great but this eps kind of ... meeehh -_- but dont know why still enjoy it..

7.5 - 10
What did You expect? life sucks from the get go....

May 24, 2018 8:30 PM

Yeah, I didn't enjoy this finale. Lowered my score by a full point. Rock's personality change was way too abrupt. I didn't like what they did to Roberta. The plot was confusing and I was rapidly losing interest. It's a shame because the OVA started out great. But then it just got convoluted and bleh.

6/10

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Aug 14, 2019 7:45 AM
still don't get how rock is apparently out of character

Dec 6, 2019 7:50 AM

I actually like how they changed some things from the manga. In the manga Roberta has absolute 200% plot armour, but in the anime she actually takes on considerable amount of damage. Rock's character change didn't bother me at all seeing how it had been foreshadowed before in subtle forms. Staying in Roanapur for far too long fucks with people's heads.

A 8/10 from me.

Jan 1, 1:28 PM
Ukaku 赫子

Probably the best OVA adaptation of an anime i've watched yet, full of backstory and gives some insight into Revy. Wasn't entirely sure what Rock's plan was towards the end but it was satisfying watching everything play out.

Roberta truly got fucked up, was thinking Garcia would kill her like any other adaptation would but he ran up and kissed her instead!
“You choose to be hurt rather than to hurt others, right?
You’re nice and wonderful.
But while it seems like you are choosing both,
you’re really forsaking both.”

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]