Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 19, 2011 10:31 PM
Dec 2007
anyone else find it annoying how often rape is used as a plot device in manga, weather it happens or its prevented...

i mean its almost never done well
its almost ALWAYS just there to show this character is a bastard, which can be accomplished in far different and better ways

shoujo i SO guilty of this, with how often that crap is thrown around.

im just wondering if its just me, or if this gets under anyone else skin.

and i want to point out i dont mind it much when its done well in ANY way, but almost always its handled so poorly...
Jun 19, 2011 10:34 PM

Dec 2010
I want to know what magic dick properties characters have in order to magically make their victims fall in love with them and desert their significant others.
Jun 19, 2011 10:36 PM
Dec 2007
that sounds like ntr and hentai...

if not what non hentai was that from?
Jun 19, 2011 10:37 PM

Dec 2010
No it's ntr/hentai.
Jun 19, 2011 10:43 PM
Dec 2007
i see, well, the magical properties is that the guy who wrote it was hurt by a woman in the past, and whats to portray them as as big of whores as humanly possible.

other than that... i cant see why they would write that kind of material (ntr) because there cant be a huge audience for that material...
Jun 20, 2011 2:42 PM

May 2011
Rape in manga almost always makes me drop the series, because it's usually a big red flag signaling lazy writing and stupid stereotypes.
Jun 20, 2011 5:11 PM

Apr 2009
I'm glad that I haven't encountered many stories like this. However, from my understanding, it's some cultural sexism going on, along with a few other factors.

Thankfully, there are enough stories that don't have it that I can easily avoid them.
Jun 20, 2011 7:38 PM
Dec 2007
lets see here, there are a few kinds that i have encountered

the most prolific one would be the one where if the main character didnt come along, she would have been raped,

than there is the other one where it actually happens, but isn't shown.

than there is the more shoujo style of the above, but its shown in pieces

and the sinene one where its shown in enough detail to almost make it a hentai.

and almost EVERY situation, besides the first one, are handled so poorly that it grinds the whole manga to a halt.

i don't think its lazy writing, but because its never done right, its almost always bad writing.

i mean that to the point were actual hentai mangas have handled it better than most non hentai, for an example take on me volume 2,

and avoiding them is good and all, but what sucks is that when you pick something new up, you get vauge genres, and it takes time for readers to put up the tags and more specific genres.

so i have to go on the story description, and if its shonen, shoujo or sinene, as shonen almost never has it, shoujo has it alot more, and sinene... yea... hate it SO much...

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

373 by Yuki135 »»
2 hours ago

» PINK BANANA is coming! The first English language book of its kind which collects some of the weirdest and most obscure manga of the 60s and 70s.

showashowcase - Apr 2

1 by St0rmblade »»
4 hours ago

» Manga Wisdom for the Ages ( 1 2 )

Nekoburger - Aug 9, 2023

50 by Nekoburger »»
4 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

19 by LordZirkaZero »»
5 hours ago

» How long does it take you to read a LN volume?

Maou_heika - Feb 8

19 by Narushisto »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.