Forum Settings
Forums

How has anime/manga influenced your studies and/or college experience?

Must be a Club Member to Reply 
Jun 17, 2011 2:04 AM
Good 2am y'all, I hope y'all doin' well. I would like to know how your love/obsession of anime and/or manga has influenced your college experiences. I'll go first, so that everyone may have a clue of what I'm attempting to get across.

I have always enjoyed studying history, but could not figure out my 'focus'. I researched online that to do graduate studies in History you more-or-less need to pick up a LOTE (language other than English). I dislike most Indo-European languages, but enjoy Asiatic ones. With the 'help' of anime/manga I figured I should just study Japan as Japanese is a language I feel more 'at-home' with. I think if I never got into the whole 'otaku' scene I would've ended up studying Italian and North African history, but instead I'm attempting to wrap my head around the difference being 'wa' and 'ga'.

wahh I feel so nervous :{.

WB please

Jun 18, 2011 11:09 AM

Ame_Avalon said:
Good 2am y'all, I hope y'all doin' well. I would like to know how your love/obsession of anime and/or manga has influenced your college experiences. I'll go first, so that everyone may have a clue of what I'm attempting to get across.

I have always enjoyed studying history, but could not figure out my 'focus'. I researched online that to do graduate studies in History you more-or-less need to pick up a LOTE (language other than English). I dislike most Indo-European languages, but enjoy Asiatic ones. With the 'help' of anime/manga I figured I should just study Japan as Japanese is a language I feel more 'at-home' with. I think if I never got into the whole 'otaku' scene I would've ended up studying Italian and North African history, but instead I'm attempting to wrap my head around the difference being 'wa' and 'ga'.

wahh I feel so nervous :{.

WB please

I totally see the connection there. I ended up taking Spanish as my language requirement at college. I almost took Chinese, but I would have had to start at the lowest level, and I didn't have run to fit the extra classes in.

I did join Anime and Asia club at my university, but neither club was very big or super active which was unfortunate.

I still think I might try to learn Japanese.
Watch first, decide later!

May 16, 2013 8:25 PM
I'm actually taking Japanese as my language, technically havent started yet, but I'm kinda nervous.

Jun 8, 2013 5:37 PM
I'm taking Japanese now. Anime certainly does make learning vocabulary easier. It's not as hard as you would think but it certainly does take practice but it's really fun and watching anime gives you a good advantage.

Nov 24, 2014 1:06 PM
I have been fortunate enough to have the flexibility to choose my topic in a lot of my classes. I believe my very first anime-related assignment I got to do was a film analysis of the fifth Pokemon movie, Pokemon Heroes. It was a great excuse to watch both the original and English versions of the movie as I was able to weave the differences into it and highlight the soundtrack and other cinematic elements that were missing from the dub that ultimately left out a big part of the story that the Japanese version covers. Long story short, I did that whole assignment in 2, maybe 3 days and got a 100 on it.

My next assignment is a critical analysis research paper on the state of the anime industry. I have actually started this topic on two separate occasions, having had to repeat the class multiple times. I went to a panel at Otakon a few years back and met a guy who kinda talked about things that related to my topic, so I approached him afterward and got to talking to him and I asked if I could take a look at his research notes and include them in my paper. He agreed and I was on my way, but I never did get to finish that paper...thinking about it now makes me want to get into it this next semester.

Anime in general has had a great impact on my life. I really want to learn Japanese and thankfully, my school's language lab has the full version of Rosetta Stone for Japanese. I want to start getting into it because I want to study abroad in Japan next year. If that goes well, I would then want to look into teaching English there for a year once I graduate.

Nov 29, 2014 10:37 AM

I tend to watch anime or read manga instead of doing homework. It's my procrastination outlet =u='

Sep 2, 2015 9:01 PM
Risan07 said:
I tend to watch anime or read manga instead of doing homework. It's my procrastination outlet =u='

I'm with this guy.

Sep 7, 2015 10:58 AM
I actually started out as a pre-med student but after taking a class about anime and manga, I ended up taking Japanese as well. I've taken it for about 2.5 years now and I even studied abroad in Japan. I changed my major to Asian studies and hope to go to business school for a mba/ma in Japanese. I don't regret my decision at all, as I found out I really didn't like the pre-med track, and absolutely love asian studies.

Feb 15, 2016 5:07 AM
Without anime/manga, my grades would probably go up... I spend too much time watching anime than studying.