Forum Settings
Forums

Criticism Against Gundam AGE Shocks the Script Writer

New
Jun 13, 2011 10:18 AM

Feb 2008
Hino Akihiro, the president of game maker Level 5 and the scenario writer of Mobile Suit Gundam AGE, posted in his twitter that he was surprised to meet severe criticism against Gundam AGE. He said "We didn't make a perfunctory approach to understand the concept of Gundam. We are producing Gundam AGE in a different way from any other Gundam series. Our policy for the new gundam will be explained in the anime." The mecha designer Ebikawa Kanetake ("Full Metal Panic!", "Mobile Suit Gundam 00", "Gundam AGE") encouraged Hino that they have also received fierce disapproval from the fans when they announced Gundam 00.

Source: Hino's twitter
Related topic: New Anime Gundam AGE To Start This Autumn
dtshykJun 13, 2011 10:20 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 13, 2011 10:23 AM
Jul 2018
Not surprised
Jun 13, 2011 10:31 AM

Oct 2009
Yea, I'm not surprised at all about this....

Jun 13, 2011 10:32 AM

Mar 2011
Gundam age looks like shit. Why they think it's a good idea is beyond my understanding of human logic. It looks like shit, hell even the shotas don't look all that good.
I hate you all.
Jun 13, 2011 10:38 AM

Jan 2010
Well when it looks like that and the background story is as stupid as that what do you expect? I bet a 3rd season of SEED or a slice of life show involving 00 characters would be less enraging to Gundam fans than this.

I'm personally enraged about this announcement as well. I was hoping for Crossbone.
Ok™
Jun 13, 2011 10:44 AM

Mar 2011
McRib said:
I'm personally enraged about this announcement as well. I was hoping for Crossbone.
There'll never a Crossbone anime will there?
I hate you all.
Jun 13, 2011 10:48 AM

May 2009
There's supposed to be another Gundam announcement on june 25, so we might get a decent series as well.

Feb 2010
The art-style is totally unfitting for a Gundam show.
Of course fans get angry with such a radical style-change.

But the worst thing for me is this poor excuse.
He should just have said something like,
"Gundam AGE is a projoct to introduce a younger generation to the Gundam franchise.
Of course in the future we will make other Gundam shows in the old way.
Just be patient and welcome new fans."
or something just that.

I feel offended by his statment.

Nov 2010
Yeah its disappointing and am not expecting much out of this one. Maybe next time the show will not look like its for five year olds.
In seeking wisdom thou art wise; in imagining that thou hast attained it - thou art a fool.
Jun 13, 2011 10:50 AM

Mar 2011
viral_hun said:
There's supposed to be another Gundam announcement on june 25, so we might get a decent series as well.
There won't be an annoucement, there is no hope.
I hate you all.
Jun 13, 2011 11:12 AM

May 2009
Lolis_and_Shotas said:
viral_hun said:

There will be an announcement. They haven't specified if it will be anime or not, just that it's a new Gundam project.
Jun 13, 2011 11:16 AM

Jan 2011
Hino, Akihiro < Hahahahah ,

Who cares ?
Jun 13, 2011 11:16 AM

Mar 2011
viral_hun said:
Lolis_and_Shotas said:
viral_hun said:

There will be an announcement. They haven't specified if it will be anime or not, just that it's a new Gundam project.
It'll probly have something to do with gundam age.
I hate you all.
Jun 13, 2011 11:20 AM

Nov 2008
Gundam AGE=Bad idea in the making

I will say this again Gundam is founded by teenage angst (most main characters are between the ages of 13-19) and political and often dark stories, fourth and 5th graders in MS is disappointing for a series like this.

Jun 13, 2011 11:24 AM

Aug 2010
If this was a series that would be only a few episodes long and classified as an OVA, it could be forgiving. But if it's 50 or more episodes long and classified as a main series among UC, G, Wing, X, Turn A, Seed and 00, then of course the fans want to burn Sunrise to the ground. The fact that the 00 movie broke into new grounds does not mean that you can do the same. Especially with your pathetic excuse of an alien.

Lolis_and_Shotas said:
viral_hun said:

There is. We just have too little information that regards about this project. It's not even clear if it's an anime.
Jun 13, 2011 11:26 AM

Mar 2011
SagaraYuzuru said:
Lolis_and_Shotas said:
viral_hun said:

There is. We just have too little information that regards about this project. It's not even clear if it's an anime.
Probly gonna be a manga of gundam age.
I hate you all.
Jun 13, 2011 11:31 AM

Nov 2008
SagaraYuzuru said:
If this was a series that would be only a few episodes long and classified as an OVA, it could be forgiving. But if it's 50 or more episodes long and classified as a main series among UC, G, Wing, X, Turn A, Seed and 00, then of course the fans want to burn Sunrise to the ground. The fact that the 00 movie broke into new grounds does not mean that you can do the same. Especially with your pathetic excuse of an alien.

Lolis_and_Shotas said:
viral_hun said:

I can tell you that the announcement will be 1,000,000x better than AGE even if it's not anime.

Jun 13, 2011 11:31 AM

Nov 2008
totally agree with the fan
Jun 13, 2011 11:37 AM

Aug 2010
I said before that I hoped the new series would an AU because there were already enough of UC. But if AU means this shit, I'll take UC any day, any year and any century.
Jun 13, 2011 11:52 AM

Feb 2008
lol this is japan. they may whine and gripe but they will be opening up their wallets soon enough.
Jun 13, 2011 12:01 PM

Oct 2009
Duh...look at those designs and plot, what did you expect...
I'll give it a try anyway...
Jun 13, 2011 12:16 PM

Apr 2008
Gundam 00's mech designer? Didn't he say, in another article, that he wasn't pleased with his art?
Jun 13, 2011 12:31 PM

Apr 2010
Its like he doesn't realize his core audience doesn't watch Saturday morning cartoons anymore

Jun 13, 2011 12:40 PM

May 2009
LunaTrigger said:
The stupidity of this fanbase never ceases to amuse me.
This. There will always be haters for every new Gundam, no matter what it's like... If it's trying to do something new, people complain it's too different. If it's similar to old Gundam, people call it a rip off.

I'm not happy that AGE seems to be aimed at a younger demographic and has some "childish" looking character designs either, but that doesn't mean I'll start bashing it before I've even given it a chance.

Hoppy said:
I will say this again Gundam is founded by teenage angst (most main characters are between the ages of 13-19) and political and often dark stories, fourth and 5th graders in MS is disappointing for a series like this.
One of the main characters, Frit, is 14 years old. He's a teenager. Don't know about the other two though.
Jun 13, 2011 12:56 PM
Nov 2010
I won't say I'm disappointed or anything as I didn't see a single episode yet, however, I do hope it's not what it looks like...
Jun 13, 2011 1:09 PM

Sep 2009
Wow, I'm a bit surprised at the posters. I figured people wouldn't receive the show very well but this goes beyond stupidity.

I'm excited for it solely for the fact that Sunrise is essentially stepping aside and Level 5 is doing the work. It'll be interesting.
Jun 13, 2011 1:12 PM

May 2009
Lolis_and_Shotas said:
SagaraYuzuru said:
Lolis_and_Shotas said:
viral_hun said:

The manga (and a game too) has already been announced at the same time as the anime. I don't think they can do anything else with AGE that would need an announcement.
Jun 13, 2011 1:12 PM

Sep 2009
The responses have mostly been coming from fans of the franchise that aren't in the demographic that AGE (appears) to be aiming at, and most have been negative obviously because those fans expected something that would cater to their demographic. It shouldn't be surprising at all.
Jun 13, 2011 1:14 PM

Mar 2011
viral_hun said:
Lolis_and_Shotas said:
SagaraYuzuru said:
Lolis_and_Shotas said:
viral_hun said:

The manga (and a game too) has already been announced at the same time as the anime. I don't think they can do anything else with AGE that would need an announcement.
Well whatever it is, it better be better than age is at the moment.
I hate you all.
Jun 13, 2011 1:15 PM

Jul 2009
Hoppy said:
Gundam AGE=Bad idea in the making

Knowledge from people who know what they're talking about: Protag of AGE is 14 and the story is dark if not political. :/
Jun 13, 2011 1:17 PM

Aug 2008

Well I'm still gonna check this out because it is Gundam and it looks pretty awesome

Jun 13, 2011 1:50 PM

Aug 2009
Well, I busted out laughing when I read the title of this thread. I expected this, and I'm surprised that they didn't either.
Jun 13, 2011 1:54 PM

Jan 2011
Honestly from what they announced so far it seems very discouraging to the Gundam Fans that are mostly expecting a political driven stories with protagonist in the teens (like 13-19 mostly anyways) but kids this time...., I know they tried this with Victory Gundam so maybe give them a chance but then again the kids look even smaller than the character (Usso) from Victory Gundam o.o. Also it wasn't the greatest Gundam series lol xD

But honestly I rather judge them after they complete the project even if I'm not expecting much from this xD
Invensible1Jun 13, 2011 1:59 PM

I am a man than can make the impossible, possible.
Jun 13, 2011 2:33 PM

Dec 2007
Honestly, after watching the trailer, this series has far more promise than what I imagine the die-hard Gundam fans would want. I'm sick of the same story being told over and over again (I've started Gundam 00 Second Season, and it's disgusting me how much it's borrowing from Zeta Gundam and Gundam Seed Destiny), the franchise NEEDS a shot in the arm like this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 13, 2011 2:54 PM

May 2010
I just need to look at it and it disappoints me
Jun 13, 2011 3:10 PM

Sep 2007
My only gripe is the character designs. They can make the story dark all the way they want, but I can't be taking in all the drama and seriousness of it to the fullest if I'm staring at a bunch of ridiculous kid designs that belong in Pokemon. The protagonist may be 14 or whatever, but his design makes him look like he's 5 years old.
Jun 13, 2011 3:10 PM

Jun 2011
Not much surprise there. It just looks too childish.
Jun 13, 2011 3:11 PM

Aug 2010
CCZilla said:
Honestly, after watching the trailer, this series has far more promise than what I imagine the die-hard Gundam fans would want. I'm sick of the same story being told over and over again (I've started Gundam 00 Second Season, and it's disgusting me how much it's borrowing from Zeta Gundam and Gundam Seed Destiny), the franchise NEEDS a shot in the arm like this.

It's true that this is not your usual plot for a Gundam series, but you can find something like this anywhere you go. It is directed torwards children afterall.

Besides, if you are looking for something that is new to Gundam, there is a recent realese that have already done that.

Wasabi said:
My only gripe is the character designs. They can make the story dark all the way they want, but I can't be taking in all the drama and seriousness of it to the fullest if I'm staring at a bunch of ridiculous kid designs that belong in Pokemon. The protagonist may be 14 or whatever, but his design makes him look like he's 5 years old.

This won't be dark. It's rated PG - Children, unlike the usual series that are rated PG-13.
SagaraYuzuruJun 13, 2011 3:15 PM
Jun 13, 2011 3:20 PM

Jul 2009
SagaraYuzuru said:
This won't be dark. It's rated PG - Children, unlike the usual series that are rated PG-13.

The fuck are you talking about? There is no official rating for this. From what we know there is death and war, seems pretty mature to me.
Jun 13, 2011 3:22 PM

Jul 2009
>how to publicize anime before it even airs
>just make it pointlessly controversial
take notes everyone
Jun 13, 2011 3:25 PM

Apr 2010
SagaraYuzuru said:

Its just someone who put PG into the MAL database because it looks like a kids show. Probably will be PG but too early to really speculate at the moment. We do know that the character designs looked aimed at kids, though

Jun 13, 2011 3:26 PM

Aug 2010
Suzuku said:
SagaraYuzuru said:

The fuck are you talking about? There is no official rating for this. From what we know there is death and war, seems pretty mature to me.

Since the first announcement, it said it was for kids. And in the official MAL page of it said PG - Children. Well, it's based by current information that can be changed, but judging by the PV, it would not suprise me that this is meant for a younger audience.
Jun 13, 2011 3:31 PM

Apr 2010
SagaraYuzuru said:
Suzuku said:
SagaraYuzuru said:

Since the first announcement, it said it was for kids. And in the official MAL page of it said PG - Children. Well, it's based by current information that can be changed, but judging by the PV, it would not suprise me that this is meant for a younger audience.

Someone put PG for Dog Days after the first episode, and later on that had a lot of blood and tons of fanservice

Just because someone puts a rating into MAL doesn't mean anything

Jun 13, 2011 3:42 PM

Aug 2010
RyanSaotome said:
SagaraYuzuru said:
Suzuku said:
SagaraYuzuru said:

Someone put PG for Dog Days after the first episode, and later on that had a lot of blood and tons of fanservice

Just because someone puts a rating into MAL doesn't mean anything

Like I said, it's based on current information that can be changed. But for some reason, these words;

"We didn't make a perfunctory approach to understand the concept of Gundam. We are producing Gundam AGE in a different way from any other Gundam series."

It tells me that that this "different way" is not about the aliens, because 00 have already beaten to it. It's more likely about the kids parts. Well, all we can do is wait and see. I could be wrong.
SagaraYuzuruJun 13, 2011 3:46 PM
Jun 13, 2011 3:46 PM
Dec 2008
no shit
what do u expect to make gundam with a bunch of
dumb looking kids
Jun 13, 2011 6:04 PM
Sep 2009
What did the man honestly expect out of the hardcore Gundam fans when he came out with this crap?
Jun 13, 2011 6:07 PM
Oct 2010
now i am feeling we might see
1) mindscrew
2) something serious like space exploration and interaction of human with other races in universe

or again i am expecting too much

anyway , wait and watch , i think these criticism may make them to change the whole script into either 1 or both i mentioned before or something entirely different , may be they stick to there plan to make a gundam series for kids .
Jun 13, 2011 6:24 PM

Jun 2009
Goosey said:
What did the man honestly expect out of the hardcore Gundam fans when he came out with this crap?

my thoughts exactly

when the characters look like something out of a shonen anime, of course people would react. nonetheless, i'm still gonna give the show a chance. who knows, with characters like that, it might be a war story seen through a kid's eyes.

only assuming this, mind you.
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Jun 13, 2011 6:47 PM

Sep 2008
Jun 13, 2011 6:56 PM

Sep 2008
stAtic91 said:
LunaTrigger said:
The stupidity of this fanbase never ceases to amuse me.
This. There will always be haters for every new Gundam, no matter what it's like... If it's trying to do something new, people complain it's too different. If it's similar to old Gundam, people call it a rip off.

That's not true people where extremely excited for Unicorn and it was well received when it was announced. Absolutely no one seems excited about this shit.

The problem isn't that it's different the problem is that it a terrible choice, Making a boat out of chocolate cake might be different but it's still a bad idea. The 2 main draws of Gundam have been cool characters and good mech designs. It's hard to get interested in a character who looks like a neon blue Muppet and so far the mech designs are mediocre at best. Plot has never been a strong point for non Tomino gundams. So there is very little to be excited about here.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

30 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.