Forum Settings
Forums

Guys, If your girlfriend or boyfriend has go abroad for 3 years, are you willing to wait for him or her?

New
will you wait for your lover about 3 years?
Jun 8, 2011 8:06 AM

Feb 2011
The man i love will be abroad at least 3 years...
i have no idea that whether i should wait or not.... T-T
Jun 8, 2011 8:07 AM

Nov 2008
If it's military or humanitarian reasons just wait.

Jun 8, 2011 8:14 AM

Aug 2010
Hoppy said:

I agree with this, I would wait but I know some people wouldn't.
Jun 8, 2011 8:16 AM

Jun 2010
I think you should break it off just judging from my family's past experiance i.e dad etc w.e
But if you think you can keep the fire lit more power to you.
Riveting is rosy, pockets full of posies, given to the mother of the deceased. Awaken at war, 'til I'm restin' in peace
Jun 8, 2011 8:19 AM
Dec 2009
It depends on many factors, like how much do I really like this one, how long have I been with her so far. Years and months for how long we have been together before this move can make all the difference.

Most likely I would not wait.
Shuck Face / Slinthead!
Jun 8, 2011 8:29 AM

Dec 2007
Hsin said:

Sounds like you don't love him at all. : /
Jun 8, 2011 8:30 AM

Jan 2011
I voted yes, but the answer to boil down to what you think. We do not even know all the details that you might know. (3+ years? Is there a better estimate?)

You can always use 'rational thought' to evaluate, think, and weigh the choices. But as Persona 3 puts it "The silent voice within one's heart whispers the most profound wisdom."

As for me, I would wait, though I'm not sure I would ever have such a significant person in my life.

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Jun 8, 2011 8:31 AM

Mar 2011
Chavez said:
Hsin said:

Yeah if you really loved him you'd wait.
I hate you all.

Sep 2008
Chavez said:
Hsin said:

Well said.

I personally think that people who use the word "love" to describe their feelings for someone, should be able to wait forever, and not just for mere 3 years.

Feb 2008
Chavez said:
Hsin said:

Aie, sucks to be him :<
Jun 8, 2011 8:37 AM

Dec 2007
Nayah said:
Chavez said:
Hsin said:

Couldn't have said it better. In WWII, men in the frontlines used to receive letters with rejection from unreliable women like OP. Generally, the victims turned out to be far less self preserving as their colleagues, and some even threw themselves in front of enemy fire.
Jun 8, 2011 8:43 AM

Feb 2011
Hoppy said:

well... he go abroad for further study...
Jun 8, 2011 8:43 AM
Dec 2009
Chavez said:
Nayah said:
Chavez said:
Hsin said:

Couldn't have said it better. In WWII, men in the frontlines used to receive letters with rejection from unreliable women like OP. Generally, the victims turned out to be far less self preserving as their colleagues, and some even threw themselves in front of enemy fire.

This reminded me of an ep of M.A.S.H called Dear John! "Dear John, I have something to say"
Shuck Face / Slinthead!
Jun 8, 2011 9:32 AM
Jul 2018
We need more info on your situation, age, how long you have been together. Things like that will help you get a more legitimate answer.

HATCHA said:

I'm also puzzled to why you would ask this kind of advice to total strangers on a forum, instead of family and friends. For this reason alone, I thought you might be rather young, hence my 14/15 age group theory.

Not saying that I don't agree on the fact that maybe she should talk to a friend or family member, but sometimes is reassuring to hear things from total strangers.
Jun 8, 2011 9:34 AM

Jun 2009
I would also just wait. Stay in contact and keep the relationship thriving.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jun 8, 2011 11:58 AM

Dec 2010
If you love him, wait for him. Right?

If you're having these doubts, I'm guessing you either haven't been with him long or you are really not (yet) serious with this person.

Go with how you feel. But for me, I would wait for my boyfriend, no doubt or hesitated thoughts about it. Sure, I'd be lonely and miss him like crazy (what an understatement) but I won't get bored of waiting, or want someone else. I am extremely impatient and I'm sensitive to being away from him for too long but I'd wait for him because I love him.
Jun 8, 2011 12:21 PM
Jul 2018
I think that leaving such a personal decision to the general concensus of complete strangers is a silly thing to do.

This should be something you talk about with your boyfriend, rather than countless strangers who do not know you, your boyfriend or the status of your relationship and can at best only offer you anecdotes of their own experiences that may have completely different circumstances to your own.

Sorry, I know it's tough but this really is a problem you ought to resolve on your own, or better yet, with your boyfriend.

Rest assured that if you really do love him, you'll be able to talk with him about anything. Even something like this.
Jun 8, 2011 12:24 PM

Jun 2008
3 years? no thats a very long time.

Time to move along and find someone else.

The fact that you "don't know" already shows your feelings are not strong enough to make the situation work so just move on to another person.
Jun 8, 2011 1:18 PM

Feb 2008
Yes.

Unless I wasn't in it for the long term then no way.
Jun 8, 2011 1:21 PM
Feb 2011
Hsin said:
Hoppy said:

Further study ? That means there will be girls about his age, but it also means, that he'll be come back a few times a year wont he ?
Oh and one more thing, the whole thing "Will you wait?"
I mean it depends will the one who went abroad will still love you as much and will or wont he find a new partner.

3 years is quite a long time. you never know what will happen in you love life
dfsafsafJun 8, 2011 2:22 PM
Jun 8, 2011 2:02 PM

Jan 2011
Live your life however you desire while he's away and he does the same, if you still enjoy each other when he comes back get together, that's what I would do.
Jun 8, 2011 2:11 PM

Nov 2007
Honestly the fact you even had to ask a forum of strangers means that your answer is probably no and you're probably not all that serious about the relationship.

Personally, I'd wait though.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Jun 8, 2011 5:52 PM

Aug 2009
Chavez said:

That is so heartbreaking ... what kind of women would do that to their boyfriends/husbands who are putting their life on the line for not only their beloved but the entire country?
Bitches, they ain't having fun doing that either.

I learned something new and very depressing.
Dear John Letters ... honestly.

And yes, if you even have to THINK on this matter then you're better off breaking up. You don't love him.

Don't use the word love. It's very strong.
Jun 8, 2011 8:07 PM
Jul 2018
Reading through these comments makes one thing alarmingly clear: no-one here except the OP has actually been faced with the prospect of seperating from their loved one on a long term basis.

The OP has asked a perfectly legitimate question, and its one thats not quite as easy to answer as some of you would like to believe. While saying you'll wait without having to think about it might seem noble or romantic, it's also rather naiive.

Three years is a long time; since your boyfriend is going to be studying abroad, I assume you're in your late teens or early twenties. Think back to what you were like three years ago, and how much you've changed since then.

And keep in mind that your boyfriend might change in three years to; in fact, being exposed to a foreign culture and the experience of University will no doubt have some impact on him as a person.

Being seperated for such a long time will undoubtedly be difficult at times. It's possible that you won't be able to take it any more and will break up. If that happens after two years or so, it will have all been for nothing. And keep in mind that even if it doesn't happen to you, it could still happen to your boyfriend.

Most of the responses here seem to be focusing on you as an individual; but there are two people in a relationship and both of them have the power to break it. How your boyfriend feels is just as important as how you feel, and it will have as big an impact on how you feel.

At the end of the day, you should do what makes you happy, and hope that your boyfriend will also be happy. Perhaps you could keep in touch and maybe see how you feel once he returns.

Whatever you do, don't feel pressured by these hopeless romantics that seem to believe that your situation exists in black and white.
Jun 8, 2011 9:09 PM

May 2010
Get a man-friend that's out of town to keep you company without anyone local finding out and go with that until the dude gets back. Then if you still "love" him, you just have to hope he doesn't find out and possibly kill you and that guy or murder suicide, whatever. If you don't "love" him anymore, break it off and hope he doesn't kill you in a fiery rage exploding from his three years of celibacy.
Jun 8, 2011 10:43 PM

May 2010
Webeiss said:
Get a man-friend that's out of town to keep you company without anyone local finding out and go with that until the dude gets back. Then if you still "love" him, you just have to hope he doesn't find out and possibly kill you and that guy or murder suicide, whatever. If you don't "love" him anymore, break it off and hope he doesn't kill you in a fiery rage exploding from his three years of celibacy.

Hahahaha , so true . I agree with this guy's opinion
Jun 8, 2011 10:44 PM

Nov 2010
Is this something you should be asking MAL? This is a personal decision and you shouldn't let people online determine your choice on something like this.
Jun 8, 2011 10:52 PM

Dec 2009
Jun 9, 2011 12:42 AM
Apr 2009
I think these years that you spend waiting for him will strengthen your feelings if you're truly in love. You'll most likely find yourself occupied with thoughts of him more than ever, and good thoughts too, and when you two come together it will be quite splendid!
Jun 9, 2011 1:20 AM

Sep 2009
Because I'm part of the 80% on the internet who doesn't read what anyone else says, I don't know if this has been bought up yet, but, is he really going to wait for you for those 3 years?
Jun 9, 2011 1:26 AM

Jul 2009
Depend how much you love him.
Jun 9, 2011 7:25 AM

Nov 2008
Hell no. If he can't choose to stay with me then I won't choose to wait for him.
Jun 9, 2011 9:16 AM

Feb 2005
Just keep waiting and use the time productively. Surely, you don't really desperately need to hook up with someone for every stretch of time? Being separate leaves you free to focus on studies and whatnot too.
And keep watch on Facebook, if you see him in compromising pictures with other ladies, inform him of the termination of your relationship and go out hunting for a more suitable candidate.
Jun 9, 2011 9:39 AM

Feb 2011
dfsafsaf said:
Hsin said:
Hoppy said:

Further study ? That means there will be girls about his age, but it also means, that he'll be come back a few times a year wont he ?
Oh and one more thing, the whole thing "Will you wait?"
I mean it depends will the one who went abroad will still love you as much and will or wont he find a new partner.

he won't be back in 3 years.
and we will have little time to communicate cuz the time differences (12 hours)
3 years is quite a long time. you never know what will happen in you love life
Jun 9, 2011 10:00 AM

Feb 2011
HATCHA said:
Just out of curiosity, how old are you two? It would be ratarded to wait wait for someone who you think you love, thats if you're like 14/15, and even if you say you'd wait for him and that you love him you'd have probably forgot about him in a few months. However I doubt thats the case here, as he's going abroad so I'm guessing it's something to do with work, but yeah on the off chance he's 14 or something and is going to study, silly thread really.

I'm also puzzled to why you would ask this kind of advice to total strangers on a forum, instead of family and friends. For this reason alone, I thought you might be rather young, hence my 14/15 age group theory.

EDIT: I AM GOD!1111!!1

you got the point. I'm 22 now and i will be 25 after 3 years. If I were 18 now, i would wait for him with out any hesitance . But the reality is i am not a teenager and many 25+ girls are got married in my country so many of my friends tell me not to wait . I know it's not wise to ask the silly question here but i am gonna be crazy and have no idea now.
Jun 9, 2011 10:03 AM

Mar 2011
I'd probably wait, but that's because I have no real interest in love, so to me - finding someone else would be too much of a hassle.
Mr. Wonsworth, you may NOT eat my scones!
Jun 9, 2011 10:11 AM

Feb 2011
iCab said:
We need more info on your situation, age, how long you have been together. Things like that will help you get a more legitimate answer.

HATCHA said:

Not saying that I don't agree on the fact that maybe she should talk to a friend or family member, but sometimes is reassuring to hear things from total strangers.

hehe, thanks for understanding. Just like what you said, i was confused after hearing my friends opinions so i turned to the strangers for help or some advisement.
we've been together for 2 years but we were in different cities last year. So i've waited for him for 1 year, and after that, he told me that he gotta go for further study. That's really shock you know. He even didn't ask me to wait for him . It seems that he is not sure about the future neither.
Jun 9, 2011 10:14 AM

Feb 2011
Kinoholic said:
3 years? no thats a very long time.

Time to move along and find someone else.

The fact that you "don't know" already shows your feelings are not strong enough to make the situation work so just move on to another person.

yeah, i find that when i get older i have to consider more about the reality and more difficult to make the decision
Jun 9, 2011 10:19 AM

Jan 2011
Hsin said:
...???....???
He even didn't ask me to wait for him . It seems that he is not sure about the future neither.

Now that things are more further clarified, I have to change my answer for you: don't wait.

It doesn't seem like he expects you to wait at all, perhaps he's not serious or not strong enough, and similarly it is unlikely you are.

Of course, you can choose to wait, but only if you can somehow keep the relationship strong, which is difficult with a 12h time difference.(Morning here, night there; night there, morning here)

The choice is yours, once you pick it, don't regret.

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Jun 9, 2011 10:29 AM

Mar 2011
Hsin said:
But the reality is i am not a teenager and many 25+ girls are got married in my country so many of my friends tell me not to wait .

It sounds like you want to rush things, be it because of peer pressure or something else. Having a boyfriend just for the sake of it seems so.. weird.
Mr. Wonsworth, you may NOT eat my scones!
Jun 9, 2011 10:32 AM

Feb 2011
AnnoKano said:
Reading through these comments makes one thing alarmingly clear: no-one here except the OP has actually been faced with the prospect of seperating from their loved one on a long term basis.

The OP has asked a perfectly legitimate question, and its one thats not quite as easy to answer as some of you would like to believe. While saying you'll wait without having to think about it might seem noble or romantic, it's also rather naiive.

Three years is a long time; since your boyfriend is going to be studying abroad, I assume you're in your late teens or early twenties. Think back to what you were like three years ago, and how much you've changed since then.

And keep in mind that your boyfriend might change in three years to; in fact, being exposed to a foreign culture and the experience of University will no doubt have some impact on him as a person.

Being seperated for such a long time will undoubtedly be difficult at times. It's possible that you won't be able to take it any more and will break up. If that happens after two years or so, it will have all been for nothing. And keep in mind that even if it doesn't happen to you, it could still happen to your boyfriend.

Most of the responses here seem to be focusing on you as an individual; but there are two people in a relationship and both of them have the power to break it. How your boyfriend feels is just as important as how you feel, and it will have as big an impact on how you feel.

At the end of the day, you should do what makes you happy, and hope that your boyfriend will also be happy. Perhaps you could keep in touch and maybe see how you feel once he returns.

Whatever you do, don't feel pressured by these hopeless romantics that seem to believe that your situation exists in black and white.

you are right, i am early 20s so it's time to consider more about the reality rather than the romantic. And we've been seperated for a year cuz we are in different cities . I choose to wait that time because of his word--- "trust me" .
But this time, he said "i won't force you to wait . just do what you want". That pretty confused me. In fact, if he let me to trust him and wait him,maybe i will wait . But his response makes me wonder whether he love me or not. because what he said shows he's uncertain about the future. It seems that he's not sure whether he will move to other girl in this 3 years.
Jun 10, 2011 3:40 AM

Oct 2009
I'd know if I'd wait if I loved her.

Heck, I'd just go with her, fuck that.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 4, 2018 5:54 PM

Jul 2016
yes, the anime Seiren taught me that she'll come back
May 4, 2018 6:18 PM
Mar 2017
Hopefully if he was going abroad, he'd come over here~^^

More topics from this board

» Yes or No? v6 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 6, 2022

5618 by Nicherix »»
13 seconds ago

» Have you seen the anime above? v.5 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KayKimii - Jan 23, 2023

5512 by Fukamin »»
14 minutes ago

» Make a song title with one word from the previous song title ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

RichtofenMK - Dec 17, 2023

1189 by _untitled »»
15 minutes ago

» Harshly judge the user above you based on their Last List Updates v.12 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KayKimii - Apr 9, 2023

7588 by PrideRoyalIvy »»
15 minutes ago

» Confessions GO! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samsince04 - Dec 25, 2022

479 by OniMage »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.