Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jun 29, 2015 4:08 AM

Jan 2013
There's a fair bit of development for the mad scientist here. It's really starting to bump up my starting 6/10 score for this show.
Jun 30, 2015 7:59 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching)

This episode has a lot in it that you find out about later.
Ruka, a girl...
Suzu's dad...
Jul 7, 2015 1:10 PM
Feb 2015
Kiss already!!! D: wow another great episode. Can't believe that okabe touched ruka down there lmao. Confirms that ruka turned into a girl. Wish he told the others that it was a success unless it already did after being on his knees xD
[center] *>.>[Spoiler][/spoiler]<.<*
[center]
Jul 15, 2015 6:38 AM
Jul 2015
Good episode, but I wish there had been a scene where Okabe had personally apologized to Ruka.
Jul 27, 2015 5:37 AM

Mar 2012
But suzu you have seen your father :<

I'm watching you~ Creepy

Being suzuha is suffering

Those butterflies = butterfly effect I guess.
Aug 6, 2015 7:29 PM

May 2015
beginning was kind of confusing
did MC explain everything about her being a male? or was it left to be forgotten?
Aug 6, 2015 7:30 PM

May 2015
nerfx said:
Oh well...FLAT IS JUSTICE!
Sep 19, 2015 1:18 PM
Feb 2015
Wow. Okabe felt up Ruka.. did he forget he sent dmail to change her to female, even if he didn't believe it at the start, all the signs pointed out that she was female when the other girls told him to stop staring at Ruka's chest lol
Oct 16, 2015 2:25 PM
Oct 2015
Okay, so I thought this series was a bit too silly for me and I did not know how much "tuturuuu" I could take before dropping this anime. As long as there was still a decent and interesting amount of time travel plot I was still fine with it...

...until they changed a characters gender by eating vegetables in the past.

Nope, nope nope.

Bye "tuturruuuuuu"
Oct 17, 2015 2:48 AM

Sep 2011
Baumukuhen said:
Okay, so I thought this series was a bit too silly for me and I did not know how much "tuturuuu" I could take before dropping this anime. As long as there was still a decent and interesting amount of time travel plot I was still fine with it...

Nope, nope nope.

Bye "tuturruuuuuu"

You are literally dropping it before the best part :P
Oct 17, 2015 7:53 PM

Sep 2015
RazielZero said:
Baumukuhen said:

Nope, nope nope.

Bye "tuturruuuuuu"

Yes, he is... I hope he reads this and decides to finish it ^^
(There's much much more time traveling plot from this point on...)
Oct 24, 2015 5:32 AM
Oct 2015
Gab_Martins said:
RazielZero said:

Yes, he is... I hope he reads this and decides to finish it ^^
(There's much much more time traveling plot from this point on...)

(possible spoilers for people who did not watch past episode 10)

Hi yes I am reading it.
I watched SE Lain before continuing with S;G (I guess I needed a break). So I watched until episode 19 and I have to say that I just can't get into this series. I will probably finish it sooner or later.

I am not here to talk shit about the show (no disrespect), but for some reason it is not for me, I guess. It is a little "sad" because I love and adore time travel stories so much. Maybe that is the reason why I am a bit spoiled and S;G just can't compete with great stories like "Primer".

And surprisingly I enjoyed the first episodes the most, when they were learning about the D-Mail and I admit I find the D-Mail an excellent and original idea. But later on things just got too silly for my sci-fi taste and it got repetetive. This whole bit about changing gender by eating vegetables is almost a complete deal breaker for me and that is when I stopped watching the first time.

Also, I can't connect with the characters and I find Mayuri so bland and annoying. So when Okarin tried to save her, ironically I hoped he would fail ;) ha ha ha. The worst episode was when he had a date with that transgender - as if I would care. The characters are so bland and unrealistic that the drama does not work for me at all - because I do not care.

When they introduced the Alpha and Beta world line, I think the plot got a bit too muddled. They should have focused on 1 idea and do it right, instead of a little bit of everything. Here you got a bit of "groundhog day" and a bit of Time travel. I just don't think the writing and story is all that great.

So yeah, I guess I am the minority when I am saying that I really do not like this series, even though love sci fi and time travel. Different tastes I guess. Right now I have to force myself to watch episode 20, but I am sure I will finish it sooner or later, because I came this far. I will update my opinion in the thread for the last episode once I am done. And no offence to anybody who likes this show

Oh by the way, I really loved the movie "the girl who leaped through time". That was an excellent example of a great, sweet and surprising time travel plot.
Oct 25, 2015 6:26 PM

Sep 2015
You're right when you say it's all about different tastes, Baumukuhen :)

I also watched "the girl who leaped through time" last week and for me it was kind of a disappoitment (Still rated it 8/10 though), so it's all fine, each person, each taste. ^^
Nov 14, 2015 7:35 PM

Jan 2015
Best episode so far because of the it's gone scene xD

Okabe's laugh never gets old xD

I love the way he makes everyone lab members.
Nov 22, 2015 4:45 PM

May 2015
He needs to go back in time before he molested Ruka so that poor girl doesn't get emotionally scarred. I'm kind of surprised he was stuck on that for so long. You think he would have just gone to the conclusion that Ruka's message had worked.

And romance be a-brewing. Fun stuff lol.
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Nov 26, 2015 8:21 AM

Jul 2014
Bird_Eater said:
A facepalm wasn&#039;t even enough as a reply to that finding-out-she&#039;s-a-she moment.

Awesome, though, is certainly a good reply to this episode.
Dec 5, 2015 1:34 AM

Mar 2015
Okay... so Ruka is a girl now.. and our beloved mad scientist just sexually harassed her.

So the timeline changed in this episode was the part-timer didn't leave the group? Well that's a good changes I guess, but I don't think the change stop there. I wonder what else did they changed.

Dec 21, 2015 10:11 PM

Apr 2014
This episode touches my heart, but also another thing...

Rejoice Mad Scientist. *facepalms*

-Who is watching Okabe, and what does the red jelly symbolize exactly?
-So at last Ruka is a girl.
-Most of the main cast appears to have harbored a lot of loneliness deep within, and this laboratory of Okabe's pulls them together and gives them the camaraderie that they' had been deprived of. It was sweet to see them enjoy each other's company.
-Suzuha's decision to stay appears to herald a monumental shift in what would have occurred, assuming that butterfly at the end was supposed to symbolize something.
ZeroDragonDec 21, 2015 10:25 PM
Dec 21, 2015 10:55 PM

Nov 2014
ZeroDragon said:
-Who is watching Okabe, and what does the red jelly symbolize exactly?

The next 2 episodes shall answer that.
Dec 21, 2015 11:03 PM

Nov 2014
^ Actually, I think it's the next 4.
Jan 1, 2016 9:36 PM
Jun 2015
This whole bit about changing gender by eating vegetables is almost a complete deal breaker for me and that is when I stopped watching the first time.

If you are aware that most of the things in this story are based on real-life things, then you must know that this is also based on real-life research, right?

It sounds so weird that seems pure anime BS, but it is not.
Jan 19, 2016 10:04 PM

Dec 2015
I knew she had changed sexes! Bad Okarin!

This show is just getting better and better.
Jul 23, 2016 1:49 PM

Jun 2016
He changed the past again, what!?
Jul 27, 2016 6:53 AM

Jun 2016
It took me a while to appreciate Okabe's character and I think he was the cuteest in this episode so far.
So Ruka is a girl now thanks to vegetables?? XD
I don't usually like Mayuri but her concern for Okabe and what she did for him when they wete a child was really cute.
I don't know why but I never felt good about Suzuha maybe because she hates Kurisu.

Anyway, this episode was much more emotional than the others in many wys and it was cool.
Aug 10, 2016 7:41 PM
Oct 2013
were trembling after that weird idea of Okabe send Daru to Feris-chan and about Suzuha too, but really enjoyed last few scenes of ep. somehow everything settled as its best.
Nov 28, 2016 6:15 PM

Apr 2015
Maybe this was only in the dub, but how could Okabe not tell Ruka was a girl based off the "small boobies will have their day'' conversation she had with Mayuri just beforehand?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 28, 2017 8:55 PM

Jan 2016
The butterfly at the end gave me chills.... it's a foreshadow of the effects that occurred due to the Butterfly Effect. When will you learn Okabe? Send a message back 18 years, you'll encounter huge changes due to the Butterfly Effect...but even a message 1 day in the past...could cause a domino effect of unavoidable changes. Even as a minor example, that moment between him and Kurisa...gone.

P.S. Called it, Ruka is a girl now. Ehm, I kind of liked him more as a boy though...I wish Okabe would tell him---er, her---why he "molested" her. What he knows that she doesn't.
Mar 9, 2017 7:11 PM
Jun 2013
wait wait wait wait okabe said that he didint want to blurt about ruka gender thing. Yet he blurted it out and even touched the downstairs. what a dummy. I wonder what changed this time.
Apr 16, 2017 5:53 AM
Sep 2016
i think we have ourselves the second tidus laugh here
Apr 25, 2017 9:29 PM

Nov 2015
Good guy Okabe Kyouma as always..

WTF! Since I'm rewatching it, I've realized I had been missing a great deal of foreshadowing JUST WTF!!!
Those images, hints.. I'm so thrilled by them all..
But
Daru said:
..time machine forum meeting..

..then
Suzuha said:
...time machine forum meeting..
Holy crap..... just holy crap..

What baffles me much is how reckless he is despite that "jelly" message and that butterfly effect..

World line shifts so far.. (no future spoilers)

Rewatching for the 4th time.
AX3MApr 25, 2017 9:41 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 11, 2017 5:53 PM

Nov 2015
[Rewatch - BD version]

That Okabe and Kurisu moment tho.... It felt so naturally, I like this. You usually find forced moments in anime but this felt like something you could say it....could happen.

PD: Kurisu to be a bad cooker confirmed.
Jun 23, 2017 6:50 AM

Dec 2009
Be careful when staring into the Abyss Okabe, when you stare too long sometimes the Abyss stares back.

That ominous warning is just going to be brushed off? Seriously do NOT ignore those things.

I'm just waiting for all this time shifting to bite Okabe badly in the ass. Whether it be time paradox or a drastic butterfly effect this can't keep going on like this.
Jul 15, 2017 9:50 AM

Jan 2014
Oh that "I am a Mad Scientist, nothing scares me" was quite redeeming
Wash the world over in chaos xD lmao
Jul 15, 2017 9:03 PM

Jan 2014
Oh and js, doesn't Daru's hair and Suzuha's look similar?

Also, they both go to time machine forum meetings??
Sep 17, 2017 8:41 PM
Sep 2017
Estuvo bueno el episodio pues la serie anda mas interesante PERO no sé por qué este capítulo de la serie lo eliminaron de Youtube y por eso se me dificultó verlo :( gracias copyright
Dec 19, 2017 9:30 AM

Jan 2014
This anime is going donwhill.

The fact that Ruka's mother ate more vegetables and that ANATOMICALLY changed her sex is just too much for me.

Sure, this is an anime, it doesn't have to be 100% real. But I had hopes that they would respect basic science. Maybe the message could've changed the way she accepted her gender identity, so she would say she wanted to be a girl earlier in her life and maybe she could've grown up as the girl she is.

idk but this kinda makes it clear that the only rule in this anime is there are no rules. And now all the time travelling, sending messages to the past sounds even more like bs
Aug 15, 2018 2:23 AM

Aug 2017
LOL Okabe and the female Ruka.

An episode dedicated to Suzuha. For some strange reason, the satellite went missing.

KurisaxOkabe.

It seems that Suzuha run away when she didn't find his father. It seems that Okabe is being watched. In the new timeline, she known him and, for some reason, he have a similar name from another time travel user. 4/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 5, 2018 10:18 AM

Aug 2018
What Okabe needs more than anything else is for one of the girls to slap as hard as she can in the face when he pulls his shit.
Dec 25, 2018 2:40 AM

Mar 2016
NO NO NO NO NO THE HELL NO!!! Ruka is now actually a fucking girl!? Holy crap, this misunderstanding is INSANE!!! So the previous D-mail the experiment actually works! Lol, poor Okabe having to have to go through Kurisu's punishment after literally touching Ruka like that! A priceless moment right here!

This is the only time Kurisu, a tsundere, actually hurt Okabe for real, despite the many times that he have annoyed her. This is just another reason why I'm starting to really love Kurisu, she's not like the typical tsundere who just hit people when they get pissed, I hate cliche and annoying personality like that! Also, Kurisu hitting Okabe have a justifiable reason since she believed Okabe deeply offended Ruka by telling her she's a guy.

Oh wow, she was just in the Time travelling forum, Okabe just risked another butterfly effect just to find Suzuha... I'm worried! On the bright side, the food they've cooked is not wasted and they got to have some fun time together!
Mar 13, 2019 11:38 AM

Feb 2019
I wish some of the stuff kiyoma did was reversed - such as the whole feris thing
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Jun 27, 2019 7:58 AM

Dec 2018
Just when I need a confirmation, well done Okabe.

I believe Daru went to a different meeting from Suzuha's father. Besides I don't see any reason Daru would go to a time machine meeting. But he's not on last night party, weird.

So now we got another Titor.

Kish0Jun 27, 2019 8:04 AM
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Sep 6, 2019 7:47 AM

Mar 2013
Flat is justice - those are some wise words right there. Lmfao.

That scene with Rintarou and Makise saying nice things to each other was super cute........

Also he truly is a great guy. Using d-mail again only to help Suzuha was pretty brave of him.
Sep 8, 2019 12:50 AM

Jul 2015
When Cristina touched Ruka, she didn't get beaten up but when Okarin touched Ruka he got beaten...double standards much

Nov 14, 2019 12:22 AM

Mar 2016
That's it... I'm done.

Fucking dropped so hard. 1/10

You've lost any and all of that hard earned credibility instantly when you change someone's gender with inane pseudo-science like this.

And it was in that that I realize why I hate this anime so much: It's akin to a romance novel attempting to be Sci-Fi.

Sci-fi is hard cold logic and romance novels are bullshit sentimentality over everything. These two don't mix at all.
And it's why you get huge breaks in logic; for "feels", and it defines exactly what the interactions and the absolutely horrendous comedy between the main cast are too. It's why they all utterly irritate the absolute hell out of me.

It also explains now why, despite how detailed it's trying to be, how rudimentary every single one of these time travel themes actually are.

This show isn't deep. It isn't smart. It's bullshit anime sentimentality over bad science fiction. Emotion over logic.

The fact this show is so popular and proclaimed as a masterpiece makes me sick. Utterly sick. This is one of the worst things I've ever sat through.

And thankfully the game I bought of it (that set off me watching it), I got a very low price, so I can just resell it for a profit no problem. I'd be pissed if I was actually stuck with it.

Yeah, this anime is garbage. Plain and simple.
CrimsonCWNov 14, 2019 12:38 AM
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Nov 14, 2019 12:54 AM

May 2016
RealCW said:

This show isn't deep. It isn't smart. It's bullshit anime sentimentality over bad science fiction. Emotion over logic.

The fact this show is so popular and proclaimed as a masterpiece makes me sick. Utterly sick. This is one of the worst things I've ever sat through.

I'm encouraging you to watch it until at least episode 12... The true masterpiece part is the ep12-24 part of the show. This is just a buildup for the climax. There were many hidden details and foreshadowing in these episodes, you just simply didn't notice it. What I quoted from your comment are laughable from a person who didn't even watch this anime fully.

Come on, only the first 10 episodes have this slice of life feeling. Though I love these episodes too, without these episodes the other part of the show wouldn't be a masterpiece. The first part also has:
- worldbuilding
- character building
- The slow pace is realistic, since the problems came slowly, one by one
- Little and clever foreshadowing, hidden details

So, trust me, even if you won't think that the show is masterpiece, you will like the rest of the episodes.
-
Nov 14, 2019 1:00 AM

Mar 2016
SheevPalpatine said:
RealCW said:

I'm encouraging you to watch it until at least episode 12... The true masterpiece part is the ep12-24 part of the show. This is just a buildup for the climax. There were many hidden details and foreshadowing in these episodes, you just simply didn't notice it. What I quoted from your comment are laughable from a person who didn't even watch this anime fully.

Come on, only the first 10 episodes have this slice of life feeling. Though I love these episodes too, without these episodes the other part of the show wouldn't be a masterpiece. The first part also has:
- worldbuilding
- character building
- The slow pace is realistic, since the problems came slowly, one by one
- Little and clever foreshadowing, hidden details

So, trust me, even if you won't think that the show is masterpiece, you will like the rest of the episodes.

Oh, I get what it's doing... and I have nothing against a slow buildup and all that, the thing is... I've rarely been enjoying myself going through this so far.

Series always get better as they go along, so naturally the first bits wind up being the weakest parts, but weaker shouldn't mean "awful".

As I've written in every topic so far; the characters are grating; I get what they're trying to do with them, but it doesn't work for me at all; the plot, while it has some interesting elements, it's both meandering and far too basic for someone like me; who loves really strict and engaging sci-fi.
Lastly, with this episode, Ive picked up on the notion that this show puts emotion over logic; a cardinal sin for sci-fi in my mind.

I dislike it for none of the reasons you stated; I dislike it because it's sentimentality over what should be cold, harsh, and rigid sci-fi; which is what I thought I was getting from all the praise I'd seen of it everywhere. Not bad comedy and sentimentality taking precedence over logical details.

I generally have a low whimsy tolerance anyway, but yeah. Sometimes you just know when a series isn't for you. And I have never, repeat, never, wound up loving anything that was painful to initially sit through.
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Nov 14, 2019 1:22 AM

May 2016
RealCW said:
Ive picked up on the notion that this show puts emotion over logic

Where? At the Luka's part? It is butterfly effect, and butterfly effect is a scientific stuff. His gender changed because of butterfly effect, not some pseudo-science bullshit.

RealCW said:
I dislike it because it's sentimentality over what should be cold, harsh, and rigid sci-fi

It will be... But keep in mind: Steins;Gate is more a drama than a pure sci-fi. I don't know why did you expect to be "rigid, cold and harsh"

Also, the anime is not garbage. It is far from garbage. It is not your taste, but it doesn't mean that it is garbage.

And calling it plain and simple is still a laughable opinion since you basically didn't watch the other half of the story.
-
Dec 8, 2019 4:08 AM
Dec 2019
new episode all discussion best public ..
Apr 8, 2020 3:56 PM
Dec 2019
This would've been a solid episode had it not been for the truly uncomfortable molestation at the beginning. My mouth was honestly agape. The way this show treats Ruka's gender identity is abysmal and it makes it hard to come back to this show, honestly. Hopefully it gets better from here.
Apr 8, 2020 7:01 PM

Jan 2015
Haven’t watch this show in a long time, can’t even remember what happened in this ep, but came by to see what everyone was saying and I’m alittle upset you guys aren’t enjoying it. It’s my all time favorite show, but oh well. Everyone has different tastes I guess.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

804 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Yesterday, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Samu-tan - Apr 3, 2011

550 by Dyphz »»
Apr 17, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1825 by fentphantom »»
Apr 12, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - May 17, 2011

309 by DmtTrean »»
Apr 9, 12:33 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - May 3, 2011

280 by Mahmoud636363 »»
Apr 9, 4:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.