Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 6, 2011 7:02 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Just one thing to say: Wow, it's 3D!

Edit:
tsubasaloverJun 6, 2011 2:37 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jun 6, 2011 11:09 AM

Jul 2010
so how good is it? watch it in stream?

now i really am excited
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Jun 6, 2011 3:07 PM

Nov 2007
The settings are beautiful, but character designs look weird sometimes (It got long time for me to use to it), so it was ok?? I did like the OP!!

tsubasaloverJun 6, 2011 9:44 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jun 14, 2011 2:52 AM
Nov 2010
Any ideas when this will get subbed?
Jun 16, 2011 1:38 PM

Nov 2008
I've watched a program called imagine-nation on a NHK WORLD channel here in the UK.
It covered completely subject of this anime. The interesting thing is that in the interview with the producer, it was said that they will not release any episodes until they have finished all of them.
That is because each episode is made in different style, by different teams/companies, therefore they did not want to influence later episodes with the information in the first few episodes.

Anyway, if the first episode is out that means all 13 of them are completed.
Web developers answer to pretty much any request: You tell me exactly what you want, and I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be...
Jun 17, 2011 4:12 PM

May 2008
Yes the first episode is out, but no any group has sub it !?
Jul 9, 2011 5:28 PM

Jul 2008
UTW will sub it apparently. You can't ask for much more than that. They are one of the best groups around IMO.
Jul 14, 2011 9:41 AM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
chrislongden3 said:
UTW will sub it apparently. You can't ask for much more than that. They are one of the best groups around IMO.

Does anyone know when they plan to start subbing?
Jul 20, 2011 10:02 AM

Feb 2008
ok...the CG......terrible. i mean come on...there is no way to enjoy that.
Jul 20, 2011 11:50 AM

Oct 2010
I liked the CG suits, but the character faces- UGH, 2D faces in 3D objects look horrible and uncanny! As well as clunky and the expressions are slow and awkward.

If different people are doing different episodes I'm actually relieved.
Jul 20, 2011 11:51 AM

Sep 2007
Ooookkk... they seemed to have tried to mix some 2D artwork in with the CGI. Not sure how well it really works there. Although they do need to stop with the anime faces or they end up with retarded looking shit like this...

Not really digging the original 80s designs either. I'd prefer if they had use the designs from the previous movies. I mean really man. Hitomi looks far better here
than she does here
. Even Deunan looks better here
than whatever was in this episode.

As for the plot... it makes me wonder if this is related to any of the other Appleseed works. They did after all showed Briareros's original face
as some form of flashback or something.
Jul 20, 2011 12:17 PM

Jan 2010
They trolling us?

I expected more from Japan. Personally, I don't like cel-shading, but I guess that's a matter of taste, so I'll let that be. The animation, however, was really poor and lazy. I couldn't bare to watch more than 6 minutes.

As CG student, I'm sure this is a bad influence, so... I'll just stay far away from this.

Dropped.

Jul 20, 2011 2:16 PM

Jan 2008
I'm a bit disappointed in this. If this level of quality had come out before the recent movie adaptions, than it'd work, and it'd be awesome. Now everyone can't help but compare the two because it's inevitable even if it is an alternate retelling. It just seems like they've gone a little too low back to their roots. We've waited this long...for this?

If they'd gone the 2D animation route; that would be a whole other topic.

But since it's Appleseed and Shirow Masamune's work, I still like it...but to a certain degree. Story-telling is only half the entertainment: how it's presented is the other half.

I'll most likely stick with it to the end, albeit without holding my breath.
Estoy_GordoJul 20, 2011 2:24 PM
Jul 20, 2011 4:29 PM

Oct 2009
I've seen the movies so I knew not to expect much but still.. sigh.
Jul 20, 2011 5:29 PM

May 2010
3D, irrelevant to my interest. Never watch the movie before.
I thought it suppose to be good :/
GnowmiJul 20, 2011 5:32 PM
Jul 20, 2011 7:51 PM
Jul 2011
Although I don't have anything against 3D, this animation was sub par to the point where it detracted from the experience.
Jul 20, 2011 8:32 PM

Jul 2010
as a fan of the old movies, this certainly is great for my taste, and i certainly love the animation, its CG yet felt "old school" because of the presence of "drawn lines", etc., no complains here,
and Sakamoto Maaya's performance is absolutely amazing

Deunan and Briareos fanboyism all over again., can't wait for the next one, hope UTW get their Bluray disk copy.
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Jul 20, 2011 9:10 PM

Jun 2010
Sweet episode, can't wait for more though.......I was expecting more on the CG quality....
Jul 20, 2011 9:39 PM

Jan 2010
This truly is an original Appleseed manga dedicated adaptation, so anyone who is an Appleseed fan from the movies will surely be shocked and anyone who has never read/seen the original Appleseed manga/OVAs/movies will be disappointed. Was a great first episode. On one hand I really wanted to see the much more updated looks and CGI of today, but I had to admit that it was a pretty good retro feeling nostalgia of the past. 4/5
Jul 20, 2011 10:45 PM

Apr 2009
The animation was good but since I saw the 2004 and Ex Machina movies, I agree with Wasabi as he pointed out earlier that the characters look better computer animated there. Maybe because the movie budgets were bigger? :( I don't really mind it at all, as long as the action and the plot keeps me on my seat anyway. XD

I hope UTW sub and release the second episode soon.

2013 EDIT: Re-watching from episode 1 from CBM sub/rip because I can no longer wait for UTW to continue and finish their fansub of this (UTW's still at episode 3 as of this edit), and it's been too damn long I have forgotten.

Maybe it's just me getting older (with all the waiting, LOL) I find Deunan petty and immature now. The CG is still just OK IMHO.

Since I have the complete episodes with their episode titles in the file names, it seems the episode titles are from the twelve labours of Hercules, and then some. They also seem to correspond to the statues at the big ass monument in the middle of the city? O_o Wonder how that will tie up in the next episodes...moving on.
tofeiSep 16, 2013 3:57 AM
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 20, 2011 11:10 PM

Jan 2011
enjoyed the movies..but this..this is gonna be a pass not sure about other people but i don't watch animes that i don't like to look at, and i don't remember Knute bening so depressed and annoying, just my 2 cents though i'm sure whoever the fans of this will keep watching.

PS to those that didn't know the Appleseed maker went bankrupt guess that *CGI* costed alot..
Jul 20, 2011 11:27 PM

Nov 2010
Yeah, the animation shocks me everytime so different to what im used to, but in a good way xD
Jul 21, 2011 2:21 AM

Apr 2009
First episode was alright, i don't like the look of the CG tho but i will continue to watch tho. It was interesting at least and im a sucker for sci-fi anime
Jul 21, 2011 2:38 AM

Mar 2010
I didn't know anything about appleseed until now and I really liked that first episode.
Don't understand what you all are complaining about =/
Jul 21, 2011 6:18 AM
Aug 2010
Interesting story so far as expected from Shirow Masamune,
So in the past Deunan make a fatal mistake and because of that Briareos Heavily injured.
and What is bioroid?

lol at people who comment it was bad because of the animation
Do you score anime based on animation? ah no wonder too many overrated Anime in MAL
Just watch your Old movie this is TV series you know , you think they had infinite budget to produce animation on par with Movie
want to bankrupt again like the previous studio?
think before post
Jul 21, 2011 9:02 AM
Nov 2008
Wow, I'm not usually one to base anything on animation quality, but that was horridly bad. The scenery looked nice, but the characters movements were so rigid and awkward. By today's standards, it was just flat out awful. An uninteresting plot and no attachment to the characters doesn't help it's case either. Oh well, so much for that. Dropped.
Jul 21, 2011 3:26 PM

Dec 2007
Thalandor46 said:
The scenery looked nice, but the characters movements were so rigid and awkward.

Totally agree with that. I'll still give it a try because I've liked the movies and see how it goes. Hopefully the story will make it worth watching.
Jul 21, 2011 11:01 PM

Dec 2007
It felt more like I was watching clips from a Appleseed PS2 game's cinematic than an anime. That was a soulless and dreadful effort at a property that has already been attempted (and failed) to be adapted too many times now.
Jul 22, 2011 10:25 PM

Feb 2010
I've only seen one of the Appleseed movies and the show may not have best quality of the movies maybe because they are on a time basis. Though the CG models did look kind of stubbish at some times and some frames it seem they tried replacing with some 2d backgrounds.

They seem to make Deunan more feminine and more emotional than the movie counterparts... But this is only the first episode hopefully it gets better over time.
Jul 23, 2011 11:51 AM

Nov 2009
I agree that the character animation is slow and awkward.
It's hard to tell the character expression and thus making the character feel souless.

The mechs and background is nice though.
Jul 23, 2011 2:23 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Well, the budget on this one sure is low. It's even hard for the voice acting to be synchronized with the video...making the entire experience... similar to a badly-done game CG scene.

However that was to be expected since the trailer showed pretty much the same flaws.

Other than the technical aspects, people have to be more patient in order to see more plot. So far, nothing new happened.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 23, 2011 3:25 PM
Mar 2011
Really don't like the horrible 3D mixed with 2D. One of the worst show i seen in some time. Dropped after first episode....
Jul 24, 2011 1:58 AM

Aug 2008
The movies was stupid but they at least looks good. This has nothing to offer.
GanossaJul 24, 2011 2:04 AM
Jul 26, 2011 9:53 AM

Aug 2008
That was horrible. Horribly animated and horribly boring. I understand the budget is less than that of a movie animated even a few years ago, but this screws the pooch.

Jul 27, 2011 11:59 PM

Mar 2010
As someone already said but was promptly ignored I guess each episode is going to be designed and animated by a different artist.
I'm willing to say that yes some of the human faces were a bit...off, but the action and robots were cool. I'm not going to judge until I see other episodes.
Jul 28, 2011 12:27 PM

Feb 2008
It was unexpectedly boring.

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Jul 30, 2011 2:23 AM

Jul 2011
The economy being in the state it's in at the moment, I believe some of you are being rather critical with your opinions of this anime. CG is not cheap and to get above average graphics you would have to be a contender like Disney or Pixar. That being said I am and always have been a fan of Shirow Masamune so I will definitely be watching every episode.
Aug 21, 2011 11:51 AM

Feb 2009
Sucks donkey balls compared to the previous Appleseed OVA and movies. All that CGI is killing me. And what's with all those strange greekish paintings that kept appearing through the episode?! It's awfully annoying.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Aug 21, 2011 9:41 PM

Jul 2009
/dropped.

Nothing else to say, as a fan of the licence. This is just shit.
Aug 24, 2011 11:44 PM

Jan 2010
EsoneR said:
The economy being in the state it's in at the moment, I believe some of you are being rather critical with your opinions of this anime. CG is not cheap and to get above average graphics you would have to be a contender like Disney or Pixar. That being said I am and always have been a fan of Shirow Masamune so I will definitely be watching every episode.

Japanese animators are as good if not better than those at Pixar. This OVA was made by the same animation studio who made Fireball, and the animation in Fireball was amazing. I'm an animator myself, so I know a thing or two about this kinda thing.

The budget must have been really low, and mixing 2d with 3d is not easy.

Aug 26, 2011 5:50 AM

Jul 2011
Klownzie said:
Japanese animators are as good if not better than those at Pixar. This OVA was made by the same animation studio who made Fireball, and the animation in Fireball was amazing. I'm an animator myself, so I know a thing or two about this kinda thing.The budget must have been really low, and mixing 2d with 3d is not easy.

I agree with you about Japanese animators being second to none, but my actual point was about their budget. It's true they were both made by Jinni's Animation Studios, but Fireball was backed by Disney hence the better quality graphics.
Sep 5, 2011 8:27 AM
Dec 2007
d4n13lr0x said:
This truly is an original Appleseed manga dedicated adaptation, so anyone who is an Appleseed fan from the movies will surely be shocked and anyone who has never read/seen the original Appleseed manga/OVAs/movies will be disappointed. Was a great first episode. On one hand I really wanted to see the much more updated looks and CGI of today, but I had to admit that it was a pretty good retro feeling nostalgia of the past. 4/5

You summed it up pretty well. I was kinda anticipating an instant drop seeing the lattest CGI SF works from Japan (EX Machina, Vexille, TO...) but even if the 3D does not look really good (this is only an OVA and the studio went bankrupt, so...), the art direction and actual direction are fantastic and the script is very faithful to the manga (i.e much better than in both movies). Oh, and Maaya Sakamoto is perfect as Deunan too. Extremely good start to this XIII even if I'd rather have had a new Appleseed series in traditional 2D drawings.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Sep 5, 2011 8:24 PM

Jul 2010
Jacut said:
Extremely good start to this XIII even if I'd rather have had a new Appleseed series in traditional 2D drawings.

this. it could have been better if it is done in traditional animation like GitS.
Sep 13, 2011 5:36 PM

Apr 2008
I have just been thoroughly and maliciously rickroll'd.
Sep 17, 2011 1:58 PM

Sep 2009
Just 2 episodes out yet it has over 400 ratings funny...
Apr 29, 2012 5:12 PM

Jul 2009
Huh, that was ... interesting o_O
IT'S 3D! Kinda weird, the character art REALLY reminds me of people in video games ... lol XD Although some of it was well done but just a bit ... odd I guess :P
Erm ... yea, well, I don't really get what's happening, looks like there are people who want to "break away" from whatever system they have? Bioroids are interesting and so was Breareos (I'm so bad with names lol) or whatever "dying", but he's like ... a robot isn't he? Or I dunno. Deunan wanted to run away but didn't. I found that the hugging scenes were kind of awkward to watch lol XD Plus the tearing up scenes weren't that great either
It'll be interesting to see what episode 2 is like lol :P
Nov 28, 2012 11:49 PM

May 2009
Why Production I.G. WHY MUST YOU MAKE ME CRY..... What is with that PS2 in game cut scene quality. Actually Appleseed the game has better graphics. I am not a graphic person, but this was soooo bad i can't even bare to pay attention to the story.... I can't not freaking unseen this, or unhear that new deunan's voice. What the hell have you DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 30, 2012 11:13 PM

May 2009
just tuned it down from 1080p to 480p. It looks much better that way i find. Is almost like beer goggle effect
Feb 24, 2013 6:20 AM
Jan 2009
so has the rest of the series been subbed yet ?
Feb 24, 2013 11:26 PM
Mar 2009
on the funimation site 1-8 is on the stream http://www.funimation.com/appleseed-xiii/videos
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Appleseed XIII Episode 13 Discussion

Hannah_Ana - Apr 27, 2013

5 by SlammyHammy »»
Apr 26, 2023 8:45 PM

Poll: » Appleseed XIII Episode 5 Discussion

Hannah_Ana - Apr 26, 2013

2 by SlammyHammy »»
Apr 26, 2023 8:38 PM

Poll: » Appleseed XIII Episode 4 Discussion

4 by SlammyHammy »»
Apr 26, 2023 8:36 PM

Poll: » Appleseed XIII Episode 12 Discussion

Hannah_Ana - Apr 27, 2013

3 by garydai »»
Mar 9, 2017 9:25 AM

Poll: » Appleseed XIII Episode 7 Discussion

3 by ced1106 »»
Dec 21, 2015 11:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.