Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 19, 2014 2:49 PM

Feb 2014
Ace using Haki was EPIC!
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Oct 17, 2014 5:25 AM

Jan 2014
It's always interesting when Monkey D. Dragon comes on the scene.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 18, 2014 2:21 PM

Oct 2013
On to the next 1

Jun 21, 2015 8:31 AM

Jun 2015
Dragon!!!
Jul 17, 2016 7:21 PM

May 2013
Bluejam is so fucking dumb lol. I hope he dies.
Jul 29, 2016 11:08 AM

Mar 2015
Lel serves that Bluejam feller right

And oh looks like Ace has Conqueror's Spirit too, and rightfully so!

Looks like they intentionally make all nobles look like their art was inspired by Satan's asshole
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 27, 2017 5:41 PM

May 2014
So Sabo met Luffy's dad before Luffy did! Seems like Dragon is gonna be to Sabo what Roger is to Luffy...interesting. He has every reason to become a revolutionary now.

And oml did Ace just use Haki without realizing it? All because of the threat to Luffy??
Just takes me back to when Ace was about to be executed and Luffy did the exact same thing ;-;
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 22, 2017 3:23 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
i really hope hose rich spoiled ********* get what they deserve -.-

Jul 16, 2017 12:47 PM

Jun 2015
The world government, the celestial dragons, and the nobles are all trash. And what's with nobles? Everyone of them is so ugly. I wanted Sabo to tear that uly adopted kid into two before he left.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Oct 15, 2017 9:36 AM

Dec 2014
shit
Ace died twice then?
aamzing
Mar 12, 2018 6:33 PM

Apr 2012
>Dragon popping up in the flashback
my yo is on orbit
May 24, 2019 10:22 AM

Jun 2016
There are more annoyances in this mini arc that got to me this time. I did further thinking on the fact that everyone here seems so one dimensional except conveniently for Sabo. But, it should be noted his life was bad so even if he was told the Gray Terminal residents were trash, he still went to see them. They didn't use him like his family did. His father tossed him down the stairs and locked him in a basement for not being useful to him. Whereas the Gray Terminal people had fun telling a kid stories, treating him like a kid. They may not have been perfect but they are relatively far better than those of High Town. As always I'd prefer Sabo to not be the core exception but at least the daughter of the king wondered why the people they were burning weren't human showing that in the children there is a stage in where they haven't been fully indoctrinated.

Yet the thing that got to me was how dumb Bluejam was. He hates the nobles because he wishes he could be them. He hates how they look down on the people of Gray Terminal and uses them to their benefit, kind of like he does to the residents of Gray Terminal too showing some hypocrisy but that's besides the point. He knows how horrible they can be but in a lapse of judgement he believed the king wouldn't set him up. We can say Bluejam was a brute and made a poor choice due to his dream of being a noble being so close. He may have gotten antsy. But, to have him randomly put his faith in the king in this moment comes off as either boring writing or him being absolutely dumb, at least to me. I however did like how he tried to get the money from Ace. His ship burned and he has nothing, he was lied to, and the only way he can redeem himself is by getting Ace's money and using it to build himself back up. He feels this is the last thing he can do. I do want to mention how comical the gun shooting sound effect cliffhanger was though, we know Ace can't die!!!

I did like that confrontation past that too. Ace slipping up and saying what's important is 'your' life before correcting it to 'our' lives was a nice touch. Ace at this point until the end of his life wondered if he should have been alive at all, of course he wouldn't value his own life which may contribute to how easily reckless he is. Ace probably used Haki which is yet again being used to save someone who should die which I'm not sure how to feel about. It’s still a huge plot device and we haven't seen the villains ever properly be saved with it which makes it feel like main character plot armor. Yet, as always, I'll wait, I've been disappointed and that disappointment has been redeemed by Oda before. And finally, Dadan has to have shown up. Ever since Bluejam was introduced I've been waiting for the moment she fought Bluejam for her babies.

This was one dark episode. Someone in a prior thread said it is as if this arc is about adults abusing children, Bluejam toying with, manipulating, and threatening Ace and Luffy, and Sabo's father literally abusing him in the worst way and all the guards knocking him out with their guns are clear examples of this. But, alongside that we have tough love in Garp and Dadan who don't show their love clearly but have strong intentions for their children, I would argue Naguri also falls into this category as he trained them and taught Ace some life lessons. Even if Naguri isn't so much tough love but instead mentor love, it fits with the different influences adults can have on children.

Last point I want to make is that Dragon saved Sabo. Sabo's lines were kinda moving, that the town stinks more than Gray Terminal because it's rotten to its core. I feel there was some foreshadowing there too, as Sabo showed exactly what Dragon seems to believe too, this kind of tragedy is what he probably fights to prevent. This is why he's overthrowing the government, things like this. Due to their similarities maybe this will go somewhere. Perhaps Sabo disappears and that's why Luffy doesn't call him his brother any more, maybe Ace and Luffy think he never came out of the noble world to be a pirate again, because in reality, Dragon took him along. I'm sure Dragon wouldn't want to keep Sabo alongside the people who made him so pained, the problem with this being that I can't imagine Sabo would leave his brothers behind. I wonder if Dragon even knows Luffy is in the fire because, if not for my expectations for Dadan to come, I would imagine he would save Luffy.
Mar 10, 2020 5:16 PM
Dec 2009
the voice acting for the Dragon in this episode is absolutely awful. the whole "they arent human and its their fault because they werent botn nobles" stuff is incredibly hamfisted. The plot is dragging. I am remembering why I put this series on hold and left it that way for years.
Nov 9, 2020 1:25 AM

May 2016
This episode certainly did a very good job of making me hate these bastards even more. The nobles are already irredeemable beyond all hope but Bluejam is an especially big asshole for wanting to take down Ace and Luffy with him after he fell for such an obvious lie and got them into that situation.

Dragon will most likely put that fire out himself soon but I need to see the downfall of Gou Kingdom's noble district no matter what. It's a cruel fate but somehow losing their homes and getting enslaved by the Celestial Dragons sounds like a punishment fit for the likes of them.

Ace unleashing his Haki to save Luffy was a jaw-dropping moment!

Jun 1, 2021 2:25 AM

Jun 2019
These scumbags nobles really think they're so special.
Aug 14, 2021 8:48 AM

Aug 2021
didn't expected dragon to be there at all
Ace used Haki :D
Poor Sabo :'(
Jun 27, 2022 3:46 AM

Jan 2021
Even Ace had the conquerors Haki then why didn’t he use it to escape from the navy
Jul 23, 2022 11:37 AM

Oct 2020
It's great to see dragon again after all this time.
Also, did bluejam really think the king was gonna make him a noble ?
Jun 22, 2023 9:10 AM
Oct 2019
Bruhh the Royalty look like shit.

Monkey D. Dragon is here šŸ˜±
So he was born in this country too?

Idiot Blujam set himself up.
What an absolute fool.
Jul 18, 2023 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
I’m surprised that Bluejam wanted to become a noble, it didn’t seem like his style. I thought he was a pirate who lived for adventure and he’d make his money that way.

I’m shocked to see Dragon appear in this flashback and he grew up in the same country as Luffy. I wonder what class he grew up in, if I had to guess I’d say he lived in Edge Town because Garp most likely wouldn’t have joined the marines if he was nobility.
Jan 22, 11:20 AM
Jan 2024
Watching the older episodes really makes me think about the what if or the should haves. Like what if Sabo would have told Dragon Luffy was trapped in the fire. Why didn’t sabo just burn down the crumbing nobles?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Oct 8, 2009

51 by Avsar_Gazozu »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1101 Discussion

phantom346 - Apr 14

10 by HilariousPerson »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 151 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Veethorn - Oct 11, 2009

94 by kejora »»
4 hours ago

» One Piece Hindi Dubbed starting May 5th for Indian Audiences

PirateHasan - 4 hours ago

0 by PirateHasan »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 367 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Lofoc - Aug 24, 2008

73 by gannoncannon55 »»
Today, 12:27 AM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.