Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 4, 2011 10:56 AM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The Tale of the Six Heroes as sung by the court minstrel is interesting especially the unnamed Sixth Hero and looking at the wall mural, the sixth could be a female. Wonder if this has something to with Parn's story as four of the Heroes are involved already; Fahn and Beld are about to clash, Wort's in contact with the witch as of the first episode and Ghim is traveling to look for Neese's daughter. Fleve and the unnamed sixth could be directly or not be involved later.

Naba is one huge man! Is that the sight of the capital at the end? Beld must have been marching nonstop to get there already.
KinetaNov 25, 2012 10:23 AM
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 11, 2011 8:21 AM

May 2010
Aww Deedit jealousy
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 8, 2013 8:20 AM

Sep 2012
Confucius said:
Aww Deedit jealousy

That was cute.
Feb 4, 2014 11:34 PM

Dec 2013
hmmm that was borderline gay how Parn was transfixed by that Cashew dude. Lol, am I hearing his name right?
Love and Peace!!!
Oct 15, 2014 1:33 AM

Aug 2013
I really thought Parn was staring at the princess. Turns out he was staring at the King of Kashue lmao!
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 3, 2015 9:42 PM
Oct 2014
king Kashue looks like Parn's father.
Mar 25, 2016 8:42 AM

Jul 2015
Parn is as dense as dense can be, still haven"t figure out Deedit feeling....
Aug 4, 2016 9:43 AM

Feb 2015
This was a pretty fun episode. Deedlit is way too patient with Parn, though. She should have just left him the moment he showed signs he wasn't interested in her.
Oct 11, 2017 7:57 PM

Jul 2016
parn is such a airhead... deedlit, your beauty shouldn't be wasted on a brawns over brains guy like him who only stares at kashue literally the whole time at the ball.
Nov 28, 2017 4:55 PM
Jul 2018
Why is skin shading so inconsistent, not only in this anime, but in other older anime (such as Macross)? Despite the art style being nice and well shaded overall, characters change between being light and dark skinned.

This anime is rather bland and generic. It's a pity there are so few interesting European-style fantasy anime.
Feb 21, 2021 8:21 AM

Aug 2017
Ah yes, the obligatory ball episode. The bard's song was nice. I wonder how long will Ghim remain silent about the Karla-Leylia connection (or that they're the same person?)

Rei_III said:

Dwarfs don't talk if they don't need to. Plus, the OAVs are so condensed (despite the book being fairly slim) that the thing about Slayne (the "perceptive" guy in the band) first getting a clue then noticing Ghim's behaviour is kind of skipped if I remember well.*

(Dishonest mode) Also, how could the Grey Witch and Leylia be a single person? The first one is way too beautiful for that.

PS: I invite you to read The Lady of Faris/Phalis, telling the background story (the First Heroes Age) by the way. Very nicely illustrated (by one of the "chief" fantasy illustrators in Japan).

I did get the "perceptive guy" impression from Slayn from his (rather few) interactions with Ghim, so the detail probably wasn't skipped. And even given the condensed story, it fits the RPG-like setting rather well - jumping from one important "quest" to the next, leaving behind "unimportant details". Or at least that's my warped/inexperienced perspective.

I figured that The Lady of Pharis was that one Lodoss-related manga you deemed worthy of recommendation.
The chief "fantasy" illustrator in Japan is Yoshitaka Amano, I believe xD

But I can still push you to check the rougher original take on the characters by the illustrator that was part of the creation group.

According to MAL's page for the novels, "Yutaka Izubuchi's illustrations for Lodoss were also the origin of the Japanese style of elf ears." Cool, I didn't know that. Now I'm going through my known elf or elf-like characters (not that I know many but still) with "wow"s.
St0rmbladeFeb 21, 2021 12:34 PM
Feb 21, 2021 9:24 AM

Dec 2015
St0rmblade said:
How long will Ghim remain silent about the Karla-Leylia connection (or that they're the same person?)

Dwarfs don't talk if they don't need to. Plus, the OAVs are so condensed (despite the book being fairly slim) that the thing about Slayne (the "perceptive" guy in the band) first getting a clue then noticing Ghim's behaviour is kind of skipped if I remember well.*

(Dishonest mode) Also, how could the Grey Witch and Leylia be a single person? The first one is way too beautiful for that.

PS: I invite you to read The Lady of Faris/Phalis, telling the background story (the First Heroes Age) by the way. Very nicely illustrated (by one of the "chief" fantasy illustrators in Japan).

*: I would normally invite you to read the books, but they're nothing more than fast and simple reads with nothing incredible. And more importantly, the only accessible version I know of (and own) is in french and was cancelled after the 4th tome.
But I can still push you to check the rougher original take on the characters by the illustrator that was part of the creation group.

@St0rmblade Yes, Slayne is still depicted rather well (really, the main, maybe only, character whose personality suffered the most is Wood, because things were mainly left at thoughts levels with him). And we can see he's close enough to Ghim (from the quest start, just like in the book). But I wasn't sure anymore if the OAVs were showing him actually question/wonder things about the case of Lairia/Carla (and Ghim's reactions to the woman almost from the beginning).
I wrote "one of". XD And I'm pretty sure I didn't exagerate, Akihiro Yamada IS a big figure, notably thanks to his work on the Twelve KIngdoms novels series (another japanese fantasy saga that got cancelled here², leaving me with 5 books out of many XD)

²: so happy I resisted the urge to start the Guin and Arslan sagas.

Anyway, I wish you a very good time (at least half as much as mine) with this series. It also offers a very pretty conclusion (the novels form rewrite wasn't done by the time the anime finished), but the TV show goes back to the divergence and retells everything up to the actual end of the first saga (so, the end of Parn & co's campaign and the second campaign with another group of adventurers).
Rei_IIIFeb 21, 2021 4:49 PM
Dec 23, 2021 3:55 PM

Nov 2017
Deed was jelly of Parn's man crush, lol
Mar 3, 2022 12:28 PM

Jan 2009
Deedlit is beautiful and she really got a crush on Parn but Parn is more interested in his man crush of King Kashue
Aug 24, 2022 5:10 AM
Ninja Consultant

Mar 2022
Man if D&D groups were actually like this (i.e. more like fantasy novels rather than World of Warcraft) instead of everyone playing as a bunch of random monster species like Kenkus, Dragonborn, drow and Yuan-ti, with superhero powers, and breaking the fourth wall constantly I'd actually be into it.

Also the music has been absolutely beautiful so far.
Beep boop
Aug 27, 2022 6:42 PM
Dec 2020
Very cool, the drama got better, the character developed fine and the art & character design still great
Mar 23, 2023 10:53 AM
Jan 2023
Great change of atmosphere and I still adore Deed. Yet, the King could have avoided to send the daughter to danger. That was rather nonsensical.
Mar 23, 2023 10:54 AM
Jan 2023
Confucius said:
Aww Deedit jealousy
That was so cute and relatable. My girlfriend laughed a lot watching that.
Sep 18, 2023 1:12 PM

Dec 2022
Parn has a beautiful high elf lady besides him and he's preoccupied staring at some guy in a turban, lol. At least Kashue-senpai noticed him and gave him a training session.

Karla interrupts every second scene to cause trouble. She can teleport literally anywhere in the region. Makes me wonder why she doesn't teleport to King Fahn and kill him, if that's the presumed goal of the antagonists. Is Fahn someone who is actually powerful enough to give her pause for once, or does she have other plans?

Shaded Horizon

Feb 15, 4:45 PM

Jul 2021
Deedit being jealous was very cute. Parn got some much needed training.

I like the king of Kashue and how he was training parn I hope to see him again.

More topics from this board

» Does the dub still hold up after 28 years?

funtime43_tr - Mar 31

3 by BthatTVK »»
Apr 1, 10:09 AM

Poll: » Lodoss-tou Senki Episode 4 Discussion

Veethorn - Jul 25, 2010

20 by extralie »»
Mar 19, 4:10 AM

Poll: » Lodoss-tou Senki Episode 1 Discussion

Sick_Bastard - Oct 22, 2008

39 by extralie »»
Mar 19, 2:38 AM

Poll: » Lodoss-tou Senki Episode 13 Discussion

GlennMagusHarvey - Aug 11, 2010

49 by bubba460z »»
Feb 15, 8:21 PM

Poll: » Lodoss-tou Senki Episode 12 Discussion

Veethorn - Aug 29, 2010

15 by bubba460z »»
Feb 15, 8:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.