Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 18, 2008 2:31 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This anime is getting so good!
I wonder why Albert's and Eugenie's engagement was canceled. And I wonder if she's going to fall for Andrea (at least it seems she's about to).
Apr 8, 2009 4:42 AM

Jan 2009
Yeah its probably that mother fucking blonde, and if im not mistaken... just another game set up by the Count.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
May 29, 2009 4:57 PM

Jan 2008
Albert is such a chump, its hilarious watching him be so witless, especially during his conversations with the count. Everything just flies over his head.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 27, 2009 3:05 PM

Jul 2008
Albert is driving me crazy. He is so oblivious. (>__<) Seriously, listen to Franz for once.

BEGINNER
Oct 29, 2009 3:24 AM

Jul 2008
dang it Albert tell Eugénie that you love her and i am sure she will run away with you
Mar 17, 2010 11:43 PM

Feb 2010
Ahh this anime is sooo wonderful- so complex and interesting. I know the Count is a 'villian' per say, but I adore him. Poor witless Albert. >_> The next episode will be so freshhh...
Apr 5, 2010 7:00 PM

Nov 2007
Interesting development once again, Albert is getting Eugenie snatched away from him and seems that Franz is onto something.
Jun 18, 2010 5:28 PM

Feb 2010
Although that screen was just like a glimpse, the name Edgar Allan Poe caught my eye ^-^
Weird, the Fall of House Usher in History?
Lincoln, Jefferson..Reagan..Washington...

Dec 20, 2010 2:37 PM

Aug 2009
I just love how Albert is so sure about the Count's pure intentions (for now at least)...
makes the whole thing much more interesting that he trusts him so much.
And now he is starting to being seriously involved in the Count's game, feeling the side effects.. with Eugenie being snatched away from him and all. Although I'm sure he'll keep trusting the Count no matter what! Oh how I love this oxymorous! ^^
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
Feb 24, 2011 12:10 PM

Sep 2008
adamantine said:
. [Albert] is so oblivious. (>__<) Seriously, listen to Franz for once.

His obliviousness and ignorance is starting to get on my nerves too. XD It's kind of sad how much trust and faith he puts in the Count... since we all know the Count's going to be the one responsible for his downfall - well, if he eventually has a downfall, at least. At least Franz has a brain - and is actively using it.

So sad that the engagement was cancelled though! Hope Albert doesn't just sit on his butt while "Andrea" steals Eugenie away or something.
Apr 6, 2011 3:34 PM
Oct 2009
LOL at Albert's stupid face when he read that letter from Danglar.
The window, the window shopping! Hooo!
Apr 11, 2011 1:22 PM

Feb 2010
figure8life said:
dang it Albert tell Eugénie that you love her and i am sure she will run away with you

If the one thing I'm thinking of from the book got transferred in regards to her, she wouldn't run away with him haha but I haven't seen any reference to it, so it may have been discarded.
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Sep 12, 2012 8:13 PM

Nov 2011
Aww poor Eugene..

But ya, Albert is a fucking tool.
Dec 14, 2012 8:29 AM

May 2012
Great episode, allot of happened but damn sad ending for Albert :(

Really great informative and eventful episode!
Dec 30, 2012 11:43 AM
Oct 2012
Solide episode, Danglar obviously wants to marry his daughter for Andrea... for the money ofcours.
Jan 13, 2013 3:01 AM

Nov 2011
And Albert finally realizes "hey, my fiance is actually kind of pretty."
Apr 11, 2013 9:59 AM

Jan 2013
Wow, the part when they were getting chased by the police looked pretty cool. A huge difference in animation quality.
Jul 13, 2013 3:36 AM

Mar 2013
Javera said:
Wow, the part when they were getting chased by the police looked pretty cool. A huge difference in animation quality.
This.
Nov 3, 2013 1:54 AM

Mar 2012
This just had to happen when he actually starts to fall in love with Eugenie, now that's messed up lol.
Nov 17, 2013 8:15 AM

May 2011
look at how evil a man can get. sometimes, u really question on whether revenge is really unnecessary or not.
Engagement cancelled! The Cavalcanti guy really want to do it again, after being made used by none other than his own'savior', Gankutsuou, in the first episode.
"It was inevitable. There are no coincidences in the world. It all comes down to karma." Well said, Gankutsuou.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Jan 13, 2014 7:13 PM

Aug 2010
And just when Albert was starting to have feelings for Eugene the engagement was cancelled. I feel bad for the guy.
Feb 13, 2014 11:31 AM
Jun 2012
xxshiawase said:
Javera said:
This.

Yeah! Who knew mousy little Chateau-Renaud could drive like that??

Even having read the novel, I am on the edge of my seat watching this anime. So well done.

-Arvis
Mar 31, 2014 12:02 PM

Jan 2013
And finally when Albert seemed to have grown some feelings towards Eugenie...he's naive and unlucky. Poor basterd.
I guess that blonde asshole paid Eugenie's dad buckets of cash.
All the characters are pretty much messed up (reminds me of NGE.)
4.5/5
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Aug 30, 2014 12:32 AM

Nov 2013
Albert is such a clueless fuck. Isn't he the least bit suspicious of the Count? The fact that Franz even voiced his suspicions should make Albert skeptical of him.

Aug 30, 2014 12:33 AM

Nov 2013
The CG continues to be absolutely hideous. Typical Gonzo. That doesn't ruin the fact that this anime is pretty fucking great!

Feb 1, 2015 3:41 PM

Apr 2011
I wish there was more classical music in anime - it was lovely to see Eugénie practicing Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto!
Aug 4, 2015 9:14 AM

Oct 2013
The hate for Albert in this thread is ridiculous. What good reason does he really have to distrust the Count? I'm watching the bloody series as an outsider witnessing everything and still trust the Count. :D

Amusing how as soon as he begins to feel he might actually be falling in love with Eugene, his engagement with her is ended, and for seemingly no reason at that. Maybe Eugene's father ended it due to persuasion from that blonde kid...?

Ah man, it's so nice to see that Valentine's psychotic stepmother will be done away with. Good thing her father isn't as clueless as Albert, eh?

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Aug 5, 2015 2:15 AM

Jan 2014
The count just wants to avenge his own death. "Bide your time and hold out hope."
And Albert IS clueless, but only because he probably feels the good aura and karma and whatever of count's :D
The ending was so sad._.
Aug 8, 2015 4:14 PM

Feb 2015
It is fun to watch Albert. He is so clueless. I'm glad that Valentine is safe for now.
Sep 22, 2015 1:30 PM

Jul 2013
Poor Albert, he finally realises he actually does have feelings for Eugenie only to be told they are no longer engaged.

I'm also glad they got Valentine away.

Poor Albert is too trusting of people especially of the Count. I mean he did see him hit on a married woman.
Oct 26, 2015 11:03 AM
May 2012
Count is ruining everything, but I am sure that I will feel more sorry for him when they reveal what happened to him (which is so obvious by now).
Albert better not give Euginie to that faggot.
Jan 10, 2016 7:17 AM
Dec 2014
Zadion said:
The hate for Albert in this thread is ridiculous. What good reason does he really have to distrust the Count? I'm watching the bloody series as an outsider witnessing everything and still trust the Count. :D

Amusing how as soon as he begins to feel he might actually be falling in love with Eugene, his engagement with her is ended, and for seemingly no reason at that. Maybe Eugene's father ended it due to persuasion from that blonde kid...?

Ah man, it's so nice to see that Valentine's psychotic stepmother will be done away with. Good thing her father isn't as clueless as Albert, eh?

People get swindled by con artists every day.

Wiki Ponzi and Lustig.

And look at Bernie Madoff.
Jan 11, 2016 6:28 PM

Jan 2013
Another good episode, nice to see Héloïse get what she ultimately deserved.
Jun 11, 2016 11:26 AM

Feb 2016
That scene where madame helois was going nuts was pretty intense. She's been ruined because she had listened to the 'voice of devil' and let her inner desires overcome herself.

It's also been revealed that mercedes apparently didn't marry out of love in the first place- this in return has a great impact on albert who's already growing suspicious of how the relationships between those aristocrats are.
Oct 9, 2016 2:39 AM

Sep 2014
What happened with Ms.Héloïse was quite depressing. Just like any mother all she ever wished was happiness and well-being for little Edward but in the end she got nothing but desolation and suffering. 😔
Feb 21, 2017 2:16 AM

Mar 2015
Madame Heloise goes insane!

And now Albert gets to experience that "you don't know what is lost 'til it's gone" feeling
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 4, 2017 2:21 PM

Feb 2013
At least that crazy bitch is gone now, too bad that she didn't die suffering because that's what she deserved along with her little demonic kid.
Wtf man, just when Eugenie and Albert were getting closer this happens.
Aug 4, 2017 9:15 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Bye Heloise! =) Wonder what that little crybaby boy is up to now.

Yay so we now know both of them have feelings for each other! When it's too late. =_=

That Andrea dude will probably ask for her hand in marriage.
Aug 27, 2018 9:30 PM

Dec 2012
I can't help but pity Heloise. She was married to such a ruthless man and was seen only as a commodity for his reputation. One could even say that her marriage to him was a poison that slowly gnawed at her sanity.

As for Franz & Albert, it's somewhat fascinating how they're so divided on the Count's secret precisely because they're unaware that the other knows it for different reasons.
Feb 4, 2019 10:38 AM

May 2016
Heloise trying to pin the blame on Franz even more for manhandling her happened to give them an opportunity to make a hectic escape before the cops got there. Good thing Albert was there to provide on-the-spot support. Fleeing to Marseilles was a really dumb move though since it's become a favorite destination of Villefort just recently.

The Villefort Bitch might've been the one who carried out the dastardly deeds but the one who instigated and secretly orchestrated all of it was the Count and Franz is very suspicious of the mysterious character who happened to have very specific cures in his inventory. Albert getting poisoned was more of an undesirable and unforeseen outcome, that's why he cured him immediately. I have no sympathy for her even if she did all of this for her son to get the inheritance because of her constant mistreatment of her stepdaughter and her father-in-law, not to mention her eagerness to poison them to get all the money. They're lucky enough to have a gigantic luxurious roof over their heads but it just wasn't enough, huh?

Seeing Heloise get mentally destroyed by Crown Prosecutor Villefort with facts and logic was one of the more satisfying outcomes I've seen in a very long while. That cold gaze from the man was straight out of Hellsing and that delivery of her life sentence in a mental ward was legendary. Edouard's gonna piss that bed one last time before he ends up in the streets the morning after, that brat.

Euginea and Albert seems to be in better terms nowadays but all it took for the Danglars to change their mind about the engagement was an ocean of flowers from the dastardly pretty boy. He only started to care when it was too late...

Jun 1, 2020 1:44 PM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
Wow Andrea coming in stealing Alberts girl and mentor smh. That’s really sucks because I enjoyed the effort Albert put in for Eugene. Also, glad the mom has gone crazy f her.
Sep 22, 2020 7:37 AM

May 2016
Just when Albert started seeing Eugenie as a woman, and poof he lost her.
Mar 1, 2021 3:21 AM

May 2020
"Only know you love her when you let her go" seems to sum up this situation accurately.
Sep 22, 2021 11:30 PM

Aug 2020
Damn, that blonde dude getting between their relationship. He must have more money/assets to offer. That talk of money buying "love" is coming apparent.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Mar 30, 2022 3:33 PM

May 2021
Seeing the Crown Prosecutor completely destroy the Heloise bitch verbally while sentencing her to a mental hospital was amazing.
Kind of feel bad for Albert here. He's either clueless or he knows but is afraid of confronting reality.

Apr 25, 2022 10:02 AM
Nov 2020
Idk why Albert thinks he knows the "real Count". He only just met the guy! It's like dude trust the guy you've known since childhood. And then I hate that they decide to break off the engagement right when Albert and Eugenie are just getting closer. :( The heck. And Idk what to think of the Count; he's one sketchy guy....
Sep 3, 2022 4:50 AM

Jun 2020
Okay that was fucking amazing. This series has very minor flaws so far. I am really getting invested, great use of OST.

Jun 9, 2023 12:33 AM

Jan 2021
It was quite satisfying to see Valentine's stepmother become like that. She deserves it~

That Andrea is a real piece of shit. I don't think he really likes Eugenie, and since the first time he appeared (the scene where he saw Albert from the car window) he seemed to dislike Albert, I wonder why. I think he's doing this just to make Albert feel defeated.

Sep 9, 2023 2:24 AM
Jul 2021
This episode showed us all why it was a huge mistake to make Albert the mc.

This boy is beyond dumb, the count half-told Albert that he is the author of all the thing that's happening, but of course Albert is so blind when it comes to the count that even when his best friend confesses his doubts about the count, he can't see what he really is, but only what he wants to see.

Why they made a second rate character in the book the mc is beyond me. That plus so many other "small" changes they made in the sake of "diversity & inclusion", Franz & Beppo I am looking at you/talking to you. Made this project for me at least a so, so one.

I love the book, it is one of my favorite books, I've read it from start to finish 4 times in my life and this project promised so much and up to now (for me up to episode 12) hasn't delivered much, besides amazing graphics design/colors that is.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

TuzoAnime - Jun 13, 2008

173 by stationry »»
Apr 19, 9:36 AM

» About the Ending of Gankutsuou [Spoilers]

DeactivatedProbe - May 29, 2021

2 by scrapegoat »»
Feb 19, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Jun 14, 2008

94 by KuroGFX »»
Feb 6, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

StabbyPWNS - Nov 3, 2008

120 by Leongolleyn »»
Dec 29, 2023 5:48 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 13 Discussion

Mikiyo - Apr 8, 2009

45 by nicissad »»
Oct 5, 2023 10:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.