Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 3, 2011 12:43 AM

Jul 2009
Meddigo said:

At first I thought you were serious, but then I saw that you had Kaitou Kid as an avatar.

Good troll.

Oh no, someone has a different opinion than you!
Jun 3, 2011 12:44 AM

Aug 2010
I believe when Jintan visited Menma's house, Menma was angry afterwards saying that she tried to stay away from her mother because it caused her pain to remember her. Maybe we were supposed to infer that Menma stayed away from everyone else because she was afraid of causing them pain as well.
Jun 3, 2011 12:48 AM

Dec 2007
controlmajortom said:
Meddigo said:

At first I thought you were serious, but then I saw that you had Kaitou Kid as an avatar.

Good troll.

Oh no, someone has a different opinion than you!

Nah, it's just that you were arguing about something in this particular show (waiting until episode 8 to do something that could have been accomplished much earlier) when you yourself are a fan of a show that puts off something (what, it's like episode 600 or something?) that could have been done much earlier (c'mon, it shouldn't take Conan, the genius detective, that long to figure out about the Black Organization).

That's why it's a good troll.
Jun 3, 2011 12:51 AM

Jan 2010
dat jintan and anaru scene
Jun 3, 2011 12:58 AM

Oct 2010
Best episode so far. It even made me shed a couple of tears :(
Jun 3, 2011 1:00 AM

Jul 2009
Meddigo said:

Nah, it's just that you were arguing about something in this particular show (waiting until episode 8 to do something that could have been accomplished much earlier) when you yourself are a fan of a show that puts off something (what, it's like episode 600 or something?) that could have been done much earlier (c'mon, it shouldn't take Conan, the genius detective, that long to figure out about the Black Organization).

That's why it's a good troll.

Are you trying to compare this to Conan? You're even more deluded than I thought. Do you honestly think that you have to look for the same elements in two entirely different series (and genres).

This is an 11 episode series that focuses on the progression of its story. Conan is a situationally formatted series that doesn't rely on its story.

Do you look for the same things when you're watching the Simpsons and the Godfather? No? Then don't be stupid.
Jun 3, 2011 1:05 AM

Oct 2010
controlmajortom said:
Meddigo said:
controlmajortom said:
Did it really take 8 episodes before Menma figured out, OH SHIT! I CAN WRITE??!

Not really, but it takes 8 episodes to set up the characters and story so that when she does reveal herself, that it actually means something.

It does require a certain stretch, but I'd say with the execution pulled off in this episode that it was well worth it.

Anyway, a very well directed episode with all sorts of emotion seeping out of it. Glad to see this continue on the path I had hoped it would take.
No, this just shows that the writers of this show suck at writing. Glaring plot holes like this diminish the value of the story.
Wrong because if they rushed it, the tension would be badly made. The tension is what is going to be condensed and that's why this show is supposed to be 12 episodes if it was 24 then I would agree with you big time.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jun 3, 2011 1:09 AM

Jul 2009
Yumekichi11 said:
controlmajortom said:
Meddigo said:
controlmajortom said:
Did it really take 8 episodes before Menma figured out, OH SHIT! I CAN WRITE??!

Not really, but it takes 8 episodes to set up the characters and story so that when she does reveal herself, that it actually means something.

It does require a certain stretch, but I'd say with the execution pulled off in this episode that it was well worth it.

Anyway, a very well directed episode with all sorts of emotion seeping out of it. Glad to see this continue on the path I had hoped it would take.
No, this just shows that the writers of this show suck at writing. Glaring plot holes like this diminish the value of the story.
Wrong because if they rushed it, the tension would be badly made. The tension is what is going to be condensed and that's why this show is supposed to be 12 episodes if it was 24 then I would agree with you big time.

You don't think there's something the writers could have done to avoid this glaring plot hole? Wow...
Jun 3, 2011 1:11 AM

Dec 2007
You're completely wrong, and I'm not surprised in the least.

This series is not at all story-driven. It is 100% character-driven. From the very beginning from when we see the shut-in Jinta, to the a bit later when we meet the rest of the old Super Peace Busters, this show has been, and always will be, about the characters and how the passing of Menma in their childhood still haunts them today. Menma being there was simply a catalyst for the drama and the hidden emotions bottled-up to surface.

Just as if Conan was merely a oneshot where he found the antidote or cure or whatever for his condition immediately after his first interaction with the Black Organization then we never would have met Ai, Kaitou Kid, and the other interesting characters. It is the same with Ano Hana. If Menma had revealed herself too early on then we never would have gotten a close glimpse at the turmoil that the cast goes through. They simply all would have been elated to see Menma and work to grant her wish. And that's not what the show is about at all. It's all about them and not Menma.
Jun 3, 2011 1:16 AM

Oct 2010
controlmajortom said:
You don't think there's something the writers could have done to avoid this glaring plot hole? Wow...
I think the intention was not of that but to convey the tension and it's obvious it did not work for you and you are disappointed. It ends there, rage on the directors and it's all you can do because I raged at some directing of other series TBH. This shows is using a similar tactic to the ghost story from Occult Academy ever since last episode was directed by that director.
desolatoJun 3, 2011 2:34 PM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jun 3, 2011 1:19 AM

Jul 2009
Meddigo said:
You're completely wrong, and I'm not surprised in the least.

This series is not at all story-driven. It is 100% character-driven. From the very beginning from when we see the shut-in Jinta, to the a bit later when we meet the rest of the old Super Peace Busters, this show has been, and always will be, about the characters and how the passing of Menma in their childhood still haunts them today. Menma being there was simply a catalyst for the drama and the hidden emotions bottled-up to surface.

Just as if Conan was merely a oneshot where he found the antidote or cure or whatever for his condition immediately after his first interaction with the Black Organization then we never would have met Ai, Kaitou Kid, and the other interesting characters. It is the same with Ano Hana. If Menma had revealed herself too early on then we never would have gotten a close glimpse at the turmoil that the cast goes through. They simply all would have been elated to see Menma and work to grant her wish. And that's not what the show is about at all. It's all about them and not Menma.

I can't believe you wasted all this time to type this up.

This is 11 episodes, Conan is 600+. That should tell you all you need to know. If you still want to argue this useless point, then you're a lost cause. Good day.

Yumekichi11 said:
I think the intention was not of that but to convey the tension and it's obvious it did not work for you and you are disappointed. It ends there, rage on the directors and it's all you can do because I raged at some directing of other series TBH. This shows is using a similar tactic to the ghost story from Occult Academy ever since last episode was directed by that director.

I would agree with this. But there's no reason to think they couldn't have avoided this if some of the plot elements were tweaked around. It wouldn't diminish the rest of the story, and it wouldn't have such a glaring plot hole.
Jun 3, 2011 1:24 AM

Aug 2010
Is it possible that only now is Menma following Jintan's advice from 2 episodes back and now thinking about what she wants?

Rather than this being a question of "couldn't Menma have done this earlier", this signifies that Menma has changed and revealing herself to her friends is her first step towards the afterlife. In other words, rather than a mere wish setting Menma free, she herself had to change in order to be free.

That's the way I see the diary drop anyway, it's less about proving her existence and more about how she (and Jintan and the others) have changed enough to finally let her go.
Jun 3, 2011 1:29 AM

Dec 2007
controlmajortom said:
Meddigo said:
What it tells me is that you aren't a very good troll after all :(

What does that say about the person who typed a wall of text responding to me?

It tells me a lot about you when you think 2 paragraphs that are 4-5 lines each constitute a wall of text.

Not surprising you actually thought this series was story-driven. Maybe rewatch it when you're an adult and you might like it more?
MeddigoJun 3, 2011 1:32 AM
Jun 3, 2011 1:33 AM

Dec 2009
Anyway, Menma did not write anything, Tsuruko did.
Jun 3, 2011 1:34 AM

May 2008
This is really a surprise...ending i mean..
Jun 3, 2011 1:36 AM
Apr 2011
Sith_Vicious said:
Anyway, Menma did not write anything, Tsuruko did.

o.Oa ~~?
Jun 3, 2011 1:41 AM
Jul 2018
Nice episode!!! This episode brought a lot of tears to my eyes.. TT__TT
And the scene where Jintan cried was really touching..
The part where they went to Menma's house was very good too. Menma's mother must be very sad... Parents are really amazing!!
And finally all of them realized that Menma really exist!!!
Jun 3, 2011 1:48 AM
Apr 2011
Personally, I thought this was the best episode so far.
5/5

Also, I'm really happy that they finally believe in Menma's existence!
Jun 3, 2011 1:54 AM

Mar 2010
OH MY GOD OH MY GOD YES YES FINALLLLYYYYYYYYYY

I just can't explain all the emotions i had when i finished this episode.. really.
As everyone has said a lot of stuff already.. hmm what to add..

Ph yeah when Tsuruko called Yukiatsu.. he looked at the phone really creepy way.. i thought the phone was gonna say: Seven Days..
LylaazJun 3, 2011 2:03 AM
Jun 3, 2011 2:05 AM
Sep 2010
I WANT TO FUCKING SEE THE PENCIL FLOATING IN MIDAIR FROM ALL THE OTHER CHARACTERS PERSPECTIVES WRITING DOWN THAT ENTRY

im half certain next episode is gonna be "fuck you yadomi, you forged that entry in the diary somehow when we weren't looking!"
Jun 3, 2011 3:04 AM

Aug 2009
I say without doubt, that AnoHana is directional masterpiece. It's not story that brings the series on the top, it is execution.

Amazing.
Jun 3, 2011 3:45 AM

Apr 2008
OOGMGOMGMOGOMGOMGOMGW23R
$@#%$#@^%&
Jun 3, 2011 4:21 AM

Nov 2007
Finally Menma, finally!

And uhh, about the "plot hole" I think it might have something to do with the fact that Menma didn't realise she needed to do anything in the first place, and Jintan would probably feel guilty asking her. After hearing Poppo though, she finally understood that she needed to help out Jintan.
Not to mention, it seems like there are some "rules" to what Menma can do. Whenever she moves something, there's no one there (except Jintan) to see the actual moving, so maybe she can only do something when no one's looking?

Or maybe they just wanted to drag it out. IDK.

Regardless, this was a great episode. Menmon's pain was really very well done. And I really feel bad for Menma's bro. Plus, Anaru's confession! Though, since she technically used the past tense, I'm not sure if it really counted as a confession. At any rate, at the point in time, Jintan was probably so depressed by what Yukiatsu had said that hearing that Anaru didn't believe him was probably the final straw. Thus his ignoring everything else she said. Silly Jintan.

Oh, is it confirmed that this show is going to be in the 11-13 episode range? I'd initially expected 24-26 so that's a little disappointing.

EDIT: nvm, there are 2 noitamina shows for next season so it has to be short, and wiki says 11 eps. Wow, everything'll be wrapping up soon.
amayadoriJun 3, 2011 4:28 AM

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Jun 3, 2011 4:22 AM
Oct 2007
BRILLIANT!

Excellent execution up to this episode. I do not care about nitpicking the story plot or animation. I enjoyed every seconds of the show. I think this series was one of the many other that I commented positively almost every single week.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 3, 2011 4:43 AM

May 2010
Yumekichi11 said:
Not only is it well done but 3 different characters were shown to have double tears streams in the spoiler
which would mean the sadness is so much that it overflows the normal one stream depiction. The more I see this show the more it becomes depressive, the author was wise to warn of those who follow this. If it gets twice more worse it might be hard on the heart emotionally.

I had notice the double tear streams, but didn't think anything of it until you pointed that out. And I will agree, it does seem to pour out more of that "sad" touch.. I have to say though, the first episode when Menma cried, wasn't double stream & I feel that it's the saddest so far, if not..Then one of the top 3 saddest...

As for the "plot hole" - "Umeko" & "Amaya-no-Hime" have my vote on why she didn't prove it earlier...Looking back, Jinta really never said anything to Menma about them not believing. He only said they wouldn't help grant her wish.... Also - with the revealing of the Yuki/crossdressing thing - no one really brought it up either. The situation was about who can really see Menma's "ghost" - Only time they'd talk about it is when Yukiatsu & Chiriko would say Jinta's losing it..

jai88 said:
I WANT TO FUCKING SEE THE PENCIL FLOATING IN MIDAIR FROM ALL THE OTHER CHARACTERS PERSPECTIVES WRITING DOWN THAT ENTRY

im half certain next episode is gonna be "fuck you yadomi, you forged that entry in the diary somehow when we weren't looking!"

Lmfao!

Yukiatsu clearly said that it was Menma's hand writing. But I wouldn't be surprised if they still didn't believe it, and blamed him(as they do for every other thing..).
Jun 3, 2011 4:55 AM

Nov 2010
OMG OMG! Awesome episode.
Finally Menma showed her existence. Menma's mom really was scary :3
Jun 3, 2011 5:23 AM

May 2011
OMG! This episode was DAMN SAD!
Although i didn't shed any tears,i know i'll be crying out loud soon especially in the last episode :( :(
Jun 3, 2011 5:25 AM

Dec 2010
....wow. The two major plot points that I was hanging on for both get huge advancements within the space of 15 minutes. Anaru's confession was intense to say the least, and Jintan's reaction seems to be more one of panic (Oh God, I don't know what to do! RUN!) than coldness as others on this thread have suggested. Menma's reveal was beautifully executed, and yes, I do think it had to be this late in order for it to evoke the emotional response it has. Too early would have made the story feel somewhat shorter, and would have removed one of the main hooks of the series much too early.

Incredible series so far, and the last quarter looks to be even better. Here's to the hope of an outstanding ending!
"Ah yes, the demon drink...'Nature's Alzheimer's' they call it"
Jun 3, 2011 5:25 AM

Apr 2010
So many tears.
Jun 3, 2011 6:09 AM

Feb 2008
Great episode, like always.

Anyone know if this is going to be a 12 or 24 episode anime?
Jun 3, 2011 6:11 AM
Apr 2011
changed my rating from a 9 to a 10
not because of the recent development, but because I realized how well all the characters mesh + the soundtrack is fricken amazing
Jun 3, 2011 6:32 AM
Sep 2010
I'm all in the giving us a clear reason why Menma didn't reveal until now, however I have personally thought it was a mix of her thinking her friends would believe in her anyway, and maybe being a bit scared of revealing herself to them. At least with Jintan's dad the two of them specifically make sure to not reveal her to him.

Anyway I don't even care anymore, I'm all up for some suspension of disbelief because this is show of the season and compared to all the other shit I'm watching that is airing atm that is just that, shit, Ano Hana is at least telling a story and in a FANTASTIC way. This anime is actually trying to say something, its making great use of the fact its 11 episodes short, as long as they don't manage to fuck up the finale (which I don't even see is possible at this point) it is going to stay a massively strong 10/10

Ano Hana: THIS is anime, bitches
Jun 3, 2011 6:34 AM

May 2011
Xelzy said:
Great episode, like always.

Anyone know if this is going to be a 12 or 24 episode anime?

From what I've read, it's 11.
Jun 3, 2011 6:52 AM

Nov 2010
Q_Q...heart wrenching....Q_Q
Jun 3, 2011 7:13 AM

Mar 2011
awesome episode
Jun 3, 2011 7:21 AM
Oct 2010
Final scene of the latest episode of AnoHana...... I'm not crying, totally. Q_Q
Jun 3, 2011 7:36 AM

Jun 2009
Dat episode. <3
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jun 3, 2011 7:39 AM

Apr 2008
I'm not crying I have a rugged beard! I'm not I swear!
Jun 3, 2011 7:45 AM

Apr 2008
can't believe ppl are all hung up over the supposedly "plothole". what's the point in proving her existence to the others? she came back wanting a wish to be fulfilled by all her old friends, and jintan said he will do it for her, along with popo, anaru and the rest.

as some guys alrdy mentioned, its obvious menma never felt the need to have to "prove" her existence to others. she never left the house much and have no idea that the group of friends are actually not as close as in the past. all she knew was that jintan was trying to help her fulfil her wish with the help of the rest. if you actually went through the earlier episodes, she pretty much had no idea that the others are actually doubting jintan so much to the extent of the group falling apart (again?).

this episode, from popo's convesation, finally showed her that there IS a need for the others to know that she truly exists, or the group of friends will really fall apart.

i actually tnk the storyline is amazing, all the build up leading to this, the emotions, and also anjou <3
SakagamiiJun 3, 2011 7:48 AM
Jun 3, 2011 7:51 AM

Aug 2009
Man, this anime is incredible!!!!!
When i thought that this episode would only a like others, it surprising me!
Menma mom's... Jintan crying... The final!!!!
5/5
Lay on, lay on, lay on, lay on...
Jun 3, 2011 8:10 AM

May 2009
How could I stop myself from crying after watching an episode T_T
even the mood when I was watching is gloomy... damn
Jun 3, 2011 8:14 AM

Apr 2010
That was great. Haven't T.T so much over the course of a series since Clannad and Aria.

Jun 3, 2011 8:14 AM

Apr 2008
Zilpzalp said:
Sakagami, but its pretty much common sense that they wouldnt believe in her.

like i said, she didn't see a need to prove it in the earlier episodes. she only knew that jintan and the others were all working TOGETHER trying to help her with the wish. she did not know that jintan was actually having trouble trying to get the group together in the first place.

her only interactions with the group were with popo (who did believe that she existed) and anaru (playing nokemon together with popo and jintan). she also saw how the group even had that little bbq gathering for her

if jintan actually told her the truth about how all the others do not believe in her existence, im sure she would have no qualms about proving herself to the others.
Jun 3, 2011 8:59 AM

Apr 2010
HawthorneKitty said:
FUCKING ANJOU!

Not letting her boss go to his bodybuilding party.
She's on my most hated character list now.

Lol.

And of course Yukiatsu would know that it was Menma's handwriting :P

I love this show
Jun 3, 2011 9:17 AM

Aug 2008
loved it! The way Memna proved her existence, I'm so excited for the next episodes, this is one of the best animes this season <3
MALoweenMansion! 2021:

main candy:

extra candy: 4x

Jun 3, 2011 9:25 AM

Oct 2009
I. Came.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 3, 2011 9:49 AM

May 2011
UTW subs did a better job translating the Jinta crying scene and the ending secret base scene. They added the English translation on the diary page too, which REALLY made it more chilling how Poppo and Anjou were freaking out when reading it. You could read it with them and it definitely added to the feelings at that moment.

Again, that last scene was hard to watch. I could barely make it though it. I wanted to turn it off so bad. It was not because it wasn't good or anything; I just couldn't bare to see how the group was turning on Jintan like that.
Jun 3, 2011 9:52 AM

Jul 2010
ok, just a guess, i think menma is there because of what jintan's mom might have said to her. i think jintan's mom has a big part on menma being a ghost, maybe jinta's mom has a wish that menma is trying to accomplish. well, its too full of mysteries and i really like the drama on this series! >_<
Jun 3, 2011 10:11 AM

Apr 2010
This was easily the best and most emotional episode till now.
Jun 3, 2011 10:13 AM

May 2010
So it was Menma's dad not her mother. =,=

Anyway, this episode is filled with emotions. Loved every part of it.Anjou's confession and Jintan's determination to grant Menma's wish.

It was kinda sad that others are turning on against Jintan given how hard he's working for Menma but still it's understandable.

The last part where Menma tries to stop everybody's anger to him by proving her existence through her diary was eye-widening.

Can't wait to see how will they accept that happening. =)
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I'm watching this in 2024

bUriTtOTiTaN - Mar 26

30 by RegicakTiiy »»
Mar 29, 1:32 PM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 23, 2011

1235 by sarkardragon »»
Feb 21, 6:04 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 5, 2011

387 by mylovetokoyami »»
Feb 16, 2:40 PM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 26, 2011

229 by nisensi »»
Feb 9, 1:10 PM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

notnishiura - Apr 21, 2011

358 by Xeehad »»
Jan 17, 2:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.