Forums
New
Would you like to be immortal?
Yes
52.9%
No
47.1%
435 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (10) « First ... « 8 9 [10]
Jan 6, 2009 7:46 PM

Jun 2008
Neverender said:
Nikato said:
The average star lasts for 13 billion years before going Nova, which our star apparently already did.

did I miss something

Yes, you are dead. This is the afterlife and you are in paradise. Did you really think that something amazing like anime could exist in real life?

Nikato said:
Neverender said:
Nikato said:
The average star lasts for 13 billion years before going Nova, which our star apparently already did.

did I miss something

Yes, geology and astronomy class.

Once a star goes Nova it collapses in upon itself and reforms as a white dwarf. Our star is a young star still, meaning that it recently went nova.

And you are missing something called I.Q.
Astronomers will shoot there self in the head, if they heard the bullshit you just said.
MonadJan 6, 2009 7:50 PM
Jan 6, 2009 7:47 PM

May 2008
Good lord. I will just pray that you are kidding and really are capable of understanding the idea of something blowing up.

Monad said:
Neverender said:
Nikato said:

did I miss something

Yes, you are dead. This is the afterlife and you are in paradise. Did you really think that something amazing like anime could exist in real life?

Nikato said:
Neverender said:
Nikato said:

did I miss something

Once a star goes Nova it collapses in upon itself and reforms as a white dwarf. Our star is a young star still, meaning that it recently went nova.

Astronomers would have shoot there self in the head, if they heard the bullshit you just said.

Excuse me?

Maybe you want to explain then how a star is formed, you know...when a nearby star inflates (burns out), turning into a red giant then finally "exploding". Its the materials from that explosion that help form a new star, if you remember science class.
NikatoJan 6, 2009 7:52 PM
Nikato's PokePet

ChickMagnet the level 50 Pikachu!
Jan 6, 2009 7:48 PM

Apr 2007
Nikato said:
Good lord. I will just pray that you are kidding and really are capable of understanding the idea of something blowing up.

EXPLAIN THIS "BLOWING UP" TO ME
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2009 7:49 PM

Aug 2006
Neverender said:

OUR STAR DID WHAT

OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN WE'RE IN TROUBLE!

To answer the thread question: probably not.
#dontcare
Jan 6, 2009 7:51 PM

Feb 2008
As someone who reads astronomy as a hobby, I can say this change of topic is hilarious and sad.
Jan 6, 2009 8:05 PM

Jun 2008
Uh, most definitely. I have so much shit I would like to do and see before I kick out. So much that I'm almost sure I won't have enough time and or ability to do all of it within my current life's span. So immortality plz to be getting. Like someone has mentioned already, people around us are going to die regardless.

So like. Yeah.
Jan 6, 2009 8:09 PM

Nov 2007
One word.

Mnemosyne.

:v
Jan 6, 2009 8:11 PM

Jun 2008
Nikato said:

Monad said:
Neverender said:
Nikato said:

did I miss something

Nikato said:
Neverender said:
Nikato said:

did I miss something

Astronomers would have shoot there self in the head, if they heard the bullshit you just said.

Excuse me?

Maybe you want to explain then how a star is formed, you know...when a nearby star inflates (burns out), turning into a red giant then finally "exploding". Its the materials from that explosion that help form a new star, if you remember science class.

It doesn't blow up and then gathers it's pieces back together. After the puzzle is destroyed it's over. It's pieces get mixed with other puzzles and create new images.
Also the way you said it in you first post it looked like our sun got blown up.
O! and our sun, is a middle age star and not a new star.
Jan 6, 2009 8:11 PM

May 2008
I'd have to wonder actually.

1.) How would we become immortal...

and

2.) Could we reverse the effect.

It seems to me that most "immortals" we see on tv or in anime and in books can still be hurt, damaged, etc, and can even be killed through various means.

Someone mentioned Code Geass. VV was suppose to be immortal but something happened and bam. Then theres always making a wish in DB but I suppose you could wish for the reverse affect.

Hmm. I think that it would be easier if you could at one point in time get rid of the immortality (after living for thousands of years) but it would still be fun to be "good" for a century then bad...

Monad said:

It doesn't blow up and then gathers it's pieces back together. After the puzzle is destroyed it's over. It's pieces get mixed with other puzzles and create new images.
Also the way you said it in you first post it looked like our sun got blown up.
O! and our sun, is a middle age star and not a new star.

I am sorry but I have to disagree somewhat, though you are right that its more appropriate to say the sun is middle aged, but its still fairly new when compared to other stars in the galaxy.

The sun is going to keep getting hotter. Until it eventually "burns out" (which happens after the hydrogen and carbon combine which does cause the star to expel matter from itself forming a planetary nebula) and forms a white dwarf. The dwarf will burn for awhile until it eventually either turns into a black dwarf (which we do not have in our galaxy) or goes supernova (explodes) which starts the process of a new star.

So your right in the sense that our Sun is not the same star that the galaxy had before, but it does contain material from it and in probably 7 or so billion years the process is going to happen over again. Of course, our planet is going to be barren in 5 billion years because the sun is going to be too hot, and everything will be destroyed eventually.

added:

Here is a link to a supernova called SN 2006gy that was discovered in 2006 by Chandra X-ray observatory:http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2007/sn2006gy/ It contains 3 images for people. Here is a video link to what Chandra believes the explosion would have looked like from close up (its honestly lame, but kind of cool to watch) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOn7MNA_A1k&feature=related
NikatoJan 6, 2009 8:42 PM
Nikato's PokePet

ChickMagnet the level 50 Pikachu!
Jan 6, 2009 9:52 PM

Nov 2007
While it's a tempting thought, I'll pass. Knowing I'll die one day helps me keep a perspective on life.
Jan 8, 2009 8:20 PM
Apr 2008
I sure would.
Jan 8, 2009 8:28 PM

May 2008
I don't know, ask me when I'm about to die...
A past can last a lifetime.
How to Read Manga! | AnimeBytes | iMangaScans

Aug 2008
*Zetsubou1117 after 100000 years*

PLEEEASE LEEET MEEE DIEEE!!!!!!!!111oneone
Jun 2008
Stupid question, of course I would.

Jan 8, 2009 8:42 PM

Jun 2008
No, I wouldn't.
(づ°‿°.)づ
Jan 8, 2009 9:02 PM

May 2008
sweet, forever is awesome
Jan 8, 2009 9:10 PM

Nov 2008
Depends.
If I stop aging after like I am 25. than Hell yea I would want to live forever.

If I keeps on aging but won't ever die. No thanks. I do rather live my 80 years and die than be a living skeleton.
hi
Jan 8, 2009 10:25 PM

Sep 2007
I would. Then I'd get tied of humanity and blow up the Earth and just float in space
Jan 9, 2009 5:37 AM

Dec 2008
I want to change my profession many times...
(^.^) Huh~~~~
Jan 9, 2009 10:10 AM

Dec 2008
Does that include world domination and never-ending happiness..?

If so, then yes.
Jan 9, 2009 10:16 AM
Mar 2008
if there would be enough anime and manga to fill my immortal days, yes
Jan 9, 2009 11:22 AM

May 2008
zaj said:
if there would be enough anime and manga to fill my immortal days, yes

Starting to seem that way...

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jan 9, 2009 11:46 AM
Jul 2018
I would. So give me that magic pill, elixir or philosopher's stone - not existing sucks balls.

Shifting the topic: Who here actually knows why we age? *cough* In biological terms.
Jan 9, 2009 11:47 AM

Mar 2008
whats the catch? whenever some offers the eternal whatever, it involes my soul..my blood...my foot..

Jan 9, 2009 12:20 PM

Apr 2008
DrkNoTeS said:
whats the catch? whenever some offers the eternal whatever, it involes my soul..my blood...my foot..

give up your foot.
you'll be able to replace it biologically in 100 years anyway.
sseth672 said:
I would. So give me that magic pill, elixir or philosopher's stone - not existing sucks balls.

Shifting the topic: Who here actually knows why we age? *cough* In biological terms.

I was wondering that too. Interesting question.
Jan 9, 2009 12:22 PM
Apr 2008
Esley said:

Oh please, there'd never be a reason that I would want to die.
Jan 9, 2009 12:23 PM

Apr 2008
Zetsubou1117 said:
Esley said:

Oh please, there'd never be a reason that I would want to die.

depends on the catch.
would you want to live untill infinity if youwere crippled, blind.. etc?
Jan 9, 2009 12:24 PM
Apr 2008
Sohei said:
sseth672 said:

We age because as time goes on, our cells constantly die and regenerate to replace the ones that died. As this process goes on through the years, the cells' DNA becomes damaged through all the regeneration. Therefore, we age.
Jan 9, 2009 12:31 PM

Apr 2008
Zetsubou1117 said:
Sohei said:
sseth672 said:

We age because as time goes on, our cells constantly die and regenerate to replace the ones that died. As this process goes on through the years, the cells' DNA becomes damaged through all the regeneration. Therefore, we age.

Then with time, we should be able to change to cell/DNA structure to stop damage.
But that doesn't explain everything though. Why do people under stress age faster than those without?

on-topic.

I'll live aslong as anime stays around.
and as long as I don't because somrthing like a test subject ^_^
Jan 9, 2009 12:34 PM

Jun 2008
Actually as i heard a main reason for the degeneration of our cells is the fact that we breath oxygen.
Jan 9, 2009 12:38 PM

Apr 2008
Google : )

Some Science Blog said:
Over the years, many theories have emerged to explain what process or mechanism drives aging (reviewed in Medvedev, 1990). Most theories of aging have old origins, but the inherent difficulties of studying human aging--such as the lack of adequate models--make testing these theories a difficult, lengthy, and expensive process. Moreover, interpreting the results is frequently controversial; discriminating between causes and effects of aging is often impossible

back on-topic? : P
Jan 10, 2009 8:34 AM

Mar 2008
Nope. Im curious to what happens after i die. and to be immortal is to live in a lonely world til the end of all existence. it would be very upsetting to see ppl you love grow old and die
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2009 11:03 AM

Feb 2008
not fearing death would be nice. There are some brave souls out there that don't fear death but i'm not one of them.
Jan 15, 2009 2:18 PM

Mar 2007
Well maby i coud have superpowers ;D
Instagram: Luzifurr
Jan 15, 2009 2:43 PM

Aug 2007
I would, as long as I didn't end up as a wrinkled old raisin of a human.

Watching family members would be sad and all, but I'd move on, and let's face it: even the prospect of sadness can't stop me from wanting to see where this condemned world of humans is heading. That's my curiosity. at least. Also, I'd love being able to just learn so many things, from skills and abilities to written knowledge; just the sheer thought of it gives me the shivers. In a good way, of course.
Jan 15, 2009 2:50 PM

Aug 2007
Zetsubou1117 said:
Sohei said:
sseth672 said:

As far as I know, it's because of the free radicals, which constantly break down our cells through oxidation, so it's not necessarily because of the actual regeneration process. And that's also why radiation is dangerous; as it splits your cells into these free radicals. So it's not necessarily the actual regeneration that hurts the cells. That's what I learned in biology class, at least =P

But I don't think scientists are entirely sure of exactly why we age, so anyone's guess could be correct. Oh, wait. someone already said that... *feels embarrassed*
Jan 15, 2009 2:50 PM

Aug 2008
NOPE main reason is because i like using the excuse thats lifes too short in order to do stupid things (snowboarding off a roof anyone =3)
Jan 15, 2009 3:08 PM

Aug 2007
if being immortal also granted eternal youth and being painless, then i would love to be immortal, otherwise, being immortal would be eternal suffering.
Jan 15, 2009 3:17 PM

Apr 2008
Llama_Guy said:
Zetsubou1117 said:
Sohei said:
sseth672 said:

As far as I know, it's because of the free radicals, which constantly break down our cells through oxidation, so it's not necessarily because of the actual regeneration process. And that's also why radiation is dangerous; as it splits your cells into these free radicals. So it's not necessarily the actual regeneration that hurts the cells. That's what I learned in biology class, at least =P

But I don't think scientists are entirely sure of exactly why we age, so anyone's guess could be correct. Oh, wait. someone already said that... *feels embarrassed*
Sohei said:
Google : )

Some Science Blog said:
Over the years, many theories have emerged to explain what process or mechanism drives aging (reviewed in Medvedev, 1990). Most theories of aging have old origins, but the inherent difficulties of studying human aging--such as the lack of adequate models--make testing these theories a difficult, lengthy, and expensive process. Moreover, interpreting the results is frequently controversial; discriminating between causes and effects of aging is often impossible

back on-topic? : P

humans, i guess, are not all knowing : P
Jan 16, 2009 10:48 AM

Aug 2007
Nexis said:
NOPE main reason is because i like using the excuse thats lifes too short in order to do stupid things (snowboarding off a roof anyone =3)
Well, if you was immortal you could do whatever the hell you wanted to, so... =P
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (10) « First ... « 8 9 [10]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.