Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 23, 2011 1:27 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I feel a little silly.
All in one episode I smiled, cried, got angry.. and I love it all <3
May 11, 2013 3:37 PM
May 2013
I was going to let a lot of things slide in this series. Fantine's no longer a prostitute, Gavroche doesn't die, there's a random annoying dog named ShuuShuu (or ChouChou, however we're romanizing it)...but I will not accept that Javert not only survives but "is born anew." The whole point of Javert's character is that he is so rigid that HE CANNOT EVER CHANGE, and that once he unconsciously does so, his entire sense of self shatters. He has no identity. He might as well not exist. So he JUMPS INTO THE SEINE. THE END. JAVERT KILLS HIMSELF.

And to make this even worse, in the show we see his psychological breakdown, which I think is harder to watch than him jumping into the Seine. If the kids watching this were not mentally scarred watching the lead-up, watching him actually jump is not going to push them over the edge (no pun intended). Instead, we get the SUN RAYS OF GOD WASHING OVER HIM AND TOTALLY CHANGING HIS CHARACTER. Which is like...so far from the opposite of Javert I want to stab things.

To top it all off, we have the preview for the next episode where the kid actually says "The bull-headed Javert has finally been convinced by Jean!" Ummmm...no.

Javert would never ever be "convinced" by anyone, let alone someone he despised. Maybe he questions his convictions based on what he has seen and been through (leading to his DEATH I REMIND YOU), but it would never happen solely because of what someone told him. And then...then the kids goes on to say "I even thought that Javert would jump from the bridge!" followed by "He's not such a weak-willed person!" They are literally slapping the novel, AND Victor Hugo in the face. They are messaging "Hahaha, you thought for a second we would actually show a scene from the book that would have dramatic and emotional impact, and really say something about the human condition! HAHAHA--that's what a STUPID author would do with this character, and OUR Javert is clearly too cool for that shit."

I am really struggling to finish this series. They've already taken the point out of so much of the novel. But...but I will trudge onward...siiiiiiigh...
Oct 28, 2018 6:36 PM

Nov 2016
I was also thinking that a Javert who ends his life with throwing himself in the Seine would be a fitting ending for his character. Was still a good episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 30, 2022 4:16 AM
Feb 2016
AoiTrinity said:
I was going to let a lot of things slide in this series. Fantine's no longer a prostitute, Gavroche doesn't die, there's a random annoying dog named ShuuShuu (or ChouChou, however we're romanizing it)...but I will not accept that Javert not only survives but "is born anew." The whole point of Javert's character is that he is so rigid that HE CANNOT EVER CHANGE, and that once he unconsciously does so, his entire sense of self shatters. He has no identity. He might as well not exist. So he JUMPS INTO THE SEINE. THE END. JAVERT KILLS HIMSELF.

And to make this even worse, in the show we see his psychological breakdown, which I think is harder to watch than him jumping into the Seine. If the kids watching this were not mentally scarred watching the lead-up, watching him actually jump is not going to push them over the edge (no pun intended). Instead, we get the SUN RAYS OF GOD WASHING OVER HIM AND TOTALLY CHANGING HIS CHARACTER. Which is like...so far from the opposite of Javert I want to stab things.

To top it all off, we have the preview for the next episode where the kid actually says "The bull-headed Javert has finally been convinced by Jean!" Ummmm...no.

Javert would never ever be "convinced" by anyone, let alone someone he despised. Maybe he questions his convictions based on what he has seen and been through (leading to his DEATH I REMIND YOU), but it would never happen solely because of what someone told him. And then...then the kids goes on to say "I even thought that Javert would jump from the bridge!" followed by "He's not such a weak-willed person!" They are literally slapping the novel, AND Victor Hugo in the face. They are messaging "Hahaha, you thought for a second we would actually show a scene from the book that would have dramatic and emotional impact, and really say something about the human condition! HAHAHA--that's what a STUPID author would do with this character, and OUR Javert is clearly too cool for that shit."

I am really struggling to finish this series. They've already taken the point out of so much of the novel. But...but I will trudge onward...siiiiiiigh...

I feel like this version of Javert always wanted to believe differently. As someone who didn't read the novel, I think it was great seeing Javert change. That's the lesson that Jean was talking about. People can change.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Les Misérables: Shoujo Cosette Episode 17 Discussion

000rga - Dec 12, 2017

1 by Majod20 »»
Feb 29, 9:07 AM

Poll: » Les Misérables: Shoujo Cosette Episode 52 Discussion

AironicallyHuman - Aug 21, 2011

13 by FieryKun »»
Nov 24, 2023 3:55 PM

Poll: » Les Misérables: Shoujo Cosette Episode 51 Discussion

AoiTrinity - May 11, 2013

3 by Vyse_Sohma »»
Sep 23, 2022 8:25 PM

Poll: » Les Misérables: Shoujo Cosette Episode 44 Discussion

Zekkenshin - Dec 15, 2014

4 by EmperorKaido »»
Apr 29, 2022 9:21 PM

Poll: » Les Misérables: Shoujo Cosette Episode 30 Discussion

Unowen - Nov 2, 2015

4 by EmperorKaido »»
Apr 25, 2022 9:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.