Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (19) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 1, 2008 5:23 PM

Aug 2008
enjoyment! I've no time to "research" every single thing (story, how it was made, compared to other anime, etc)

I just give a score for overall feeling aka enjoyment :)

Crappy story, bad animation, but caught my attention and couldnt help myself from stop watching = nice score.
Oct 1, 2008 6:54 PM

Nov 2007
When it comes down to it, enjoyment factor is the only thing that matters. However, a lot of other elements factor into how enjoyable any anime is, and the story and characters are definitely the most important of those.

"You live and learn. At any rate, you live." ~Douglas Adams (RIP)
Oct 2, 2008 2:52 AM

Feb 2008
interesting that no1 so far chose enjoyment, sound and art as the main aspects :O

and I did think that enjoyment, story and characters would have more votes too heh
Oct 2, 2008 8:57 AM

Nov 2007
for me, the ending is very important, often the anime has a good start but then the ending is shit... ~.~
Oct 2, 2008 9:43 AM

May 2008
Enjoyment, gut feeling and my emotional respons. If I start crying, good chance it'll get a 10 since I don't cry very often. It'll have to be really sad or beautiful for me to start crying.
Oct 2, 2008 3:30 PM

Feb 2008
DMXX said:
for me, the ending is very important, often the anime has a good start but then the ending is shit... ~.~

true but if I get pissed off at an ending I might up the rating later :P
Oct 2, 2008 6:25 PM

Feb 2008
Well the only anime i've given a 10 to is Death Note. Although in my opinion the 2nd half was garbage, it still was good enough to get a 10. I think I might be less picky in giving out 10 now, but I give out 10s to animes which just seem to make me watch non-stop.

I also look for animation(although sometimes where I watch teh anime can also add to this), how good the plot is, are teh chracters enjoyable(not stupid retards that have to relay on others or other powers). I also hate emo characters that go berserk when they fail or lose someone important. I also rate depending on the ending of an anime. I usually don't like happily ever after with the hero walking into sunset type of endings, I prefer when the bad guy wins.

Kaiji is an anime I recently finished. It was amazing for teh first 10 episodes. I wanted to keep going, but after the first 10 the show was just boring. I sometimes fell asleep watching the episodes. Then after like episode 17 it turned good again. The ending was also satisfactory for me. Now if u look at my list, I gave Kaiji a 8. This is because it lacked good animation and the characters went emo sometimes. Though i can understand y they did, but it seemed over the top a bit(but make it more realistic).

Oct 2, 2008 9:05 PM

Aug 2007
How do I rate anime? It depends. I won't rate all series the same way or even using the same set of criteria.

If an anime is extremely enjoyable, even with a shallow cast of rag-tag characters, I'll still rate it high because after all, anime is a form of entertainment, so if I'm entertained enough to crave a series, despite the flaws, I'll rate it high because it's fulfilled it's purpose.

However, when it comes to the types of shows that have "deeper meanings", the ones that aren't all about action and tension-inducing scenes of epic win, I enjoy them for a different reason. When I rate these types of series, I'll look more carefully at factors such as character development, story quality/consistency, etc.

It's hard to give a generic opinion on how you rate an anime, because there are so many genres and different flavours out there, you can't have just one way of doing it.

Then, there's the people out there of course that jump to rate anime highly before it's even aired... *cough* Code Geass R2 *cough*... Or rate an anime simply because the characters are uber moe or some crap like that. Sounds like those people would themselves belong in such a show.
Oct 16, 2008 9:10 AM

Sep 2008
all factors. the characters, story, and music. =]

Oct 16, 2008 9:21 AM

May 2007
I mainly do it from my enjoyment factor, with little bits of this and that (the other factors). I think I explained it before in a blog post, but dunno where it is now.
Oct 16, 2008 11:00 AM

Aug 2008
I base mine on the overall experience but technical aspects might factor in as well.

10- The anime deserves an eleven. Only the truly greats get this rating
9- Amazing overall and I watched it all in one or two sittings but not quite worthy of a 10
8- This is a series that enjoyed all the way through but messed up just enough to not be higher.
7- There were some flaws such as a terrible ending but I was happy with it overall
6- I was amused for the duration of the anime and that was it.
5- Not really good but I finished it anyway.
4 and lower- Why did I waist X hours of my life on this?
Oct 16, 2008 6:10 PM

Apr 2008
I changed my rating system. The factors and basis are still the same but only uses a scale of 10 instead of 5.

Oct 16, 2008 7:32 PM

Jun 2008
I take all factors into consideration, but I usually rate the show based on how sad it makes me feel when it ends.
Oct 16, 2008 9:15 PM

Jun 2008
anime that would get the really good rating is one that i can watch over and over and not get bored of it.
Oct 16, 2008 10:13 PM

Sep 2008
I rate based soley on enjoyment, since the whole reason I watch anime is for entertainment. Not for awesome sound and art, although that IS a plus.
However, it can only get a 10 if I obsess over it for weeks afterward and I feel I can watch in 10 times over and it wouldn't get boring.
And I feel that character is part of my enjoyment, since I can't REALLY enjoy something if I don't care about any of the characters.
Starrlightx3Oct 18, 2008 3:31 PM
Oct 17, 2008 12:09 AM
Aug 2008
Hmm.. well i guess i kinda slice the score, i give different score to drawing (5 max), then sound (1/0), characters (1/0) , story (1/0), and how much i enjoyed it (2max) and then i add them together ;).
Oct 18, 2008 12:15 PM

Mar 2008
According to how much I enjoyed watching it.
Click Here !:

Oct 18, 2008 2:00 PM

Aug 2008
Enjoyment and Story is the most important part to me,all the characters and art have to do is not annoy me or bother me cuz i was going to quit on Gauren Lagen but i stuck with it
Oct 18, 2008 2:16 PM

Jul 2008
mostly weight the enjoyment, but it's not enough for 9 or 10
for these, story and characters must also good
and sometimes a bit gut feeling when I see-saw
Oct 18, 2008 3:05 PM

Oct 2008
I suppose I rate it on how much I enjoy it, though I take other factors into consideration.

If an Anime is really good and has brilliant music and drawings but I wouldn't watch it again then the most it could get is a 9.

If it doesn't have all that good drawing or music but is just something enjoyable that can be watched over and over then it's get about an 8.

To get a 10 something has to have Good music, Above average drawing and it -must- be re-watchable.
Oct 18, 2008 3:22 PM

Sep 2008
How much I liked the characters and how much I liked the whole thing overall.
Oct 18, 2008 3:29 PM

Oct 2008
I take all factors into consideration, if one of them is missing it can easily ruin the whole thing.

Oct 18, 2008 3:47 PM

Oct 2008
There's many factors, even mood is a factor on how highly I rate a series. Mostly I rate depending on how much I enjoyed it and the if it either inspired me or a left some great impact.

Art, animation and story all have important aspects. Yet it isn't the most important, say Sword of the Stranger doesn't exactly have the most original concept and you've probably seen something similar elsewhere. Yet the movie have some stunning animation and the fight scenes gives me the chills because they're so well done, and the music is still great it outweighs that the story isn't all that great.

I also think music is an important factor to me, it makes much of the series.

I think I'm a bit too nice on the ratings actually, and some series might have to go slightly down.

Enjoyment is like I said what I care most about this is why I rate anime such as Yakitate!! Japan a 10, the series isn't flawless or anything it has it's mistakes and the animation isn't superb or anything. Although when I watched it I couldn't stop laughing and enjoy it for all it offered. Even if I liked the OP or ED I'd usually just skip it to get on with next episode and I watched like a 10 a day, that's a good sign it was a superb series.

CG R2 got just a 9 from me, even if I enjoyed it about as much as yakitate, but that's cause it had so many flaws I'd feel bad giving it that high. Those I give 9 to are usually those who are very great series, but doesn't get all the way up there, but I could still watch it over and over and like it.

8 Solid series and enjoyable, but had somehing lacking that other had, such as poor choice of music, a long range of average episodes. It has to give me some sort of impact to get an 8.

7. Good, but never had that great impact or felt it was missing something or suffered from inconsistency. (Birdy the Mighty Decode, Strike Witches)

6. Average, usually given to shows in the season that I've watched that were worth watching but didn't stand out in the crowd and are often forgotten after a while.

5. So-so/Average, it's watcheable. Yet at same time didn't have much impact and probably didn't get much into characters or story as well. Usually series just that never had a effect. Sometimes I put average series here such as Nogizaka haruka ( never seen any series as predictable as this.)

4 and under, I can still enjoy some of these such as Rosario but they're usually not worth the time and better left unwatched or dropped.Best example is FF;U
Oct 18, 2008 3:54 PM

Jul 2008
Pure enjoyment, I watch anime for relax myself so I need a funny, brainless, anime most of the times
Oct 18, 2008 5:09 PM

Jun 2007
I consider everything. When I started typing reviews on MAL I worked out the average of the ratings and put that as my score, but now I just go with the number that seems right (based on how I've scored everything).
Oct 19, 2008 11:51 AM

Sep 2008
I don't really rate Anime. I mean, if I liked it, I liked it and if I didn't, well, I didn't. I see no point in throwing around numbers to indicate how much I liked it.

But generally, art and characters affect my enjoyment a lot. If I don't like any characters or the art style of an Anime, then I will not watch it, no matter how good the story is. I just can't keep myself concentrated.
Apr 20, 2009 2:02 PM

Feb 2009
I have a serious problem, If I don't like an anime, I drop it and if I like it i watch it, thats simple enough. But how do you rate it?
I used to watch anime as a kid, but now that I've gotten back into it (and joined MAL) I'm going over all the old classics I used to love, and of course rating them. I got back into anime on accident, I walked into gamesman and saw gundam seed on sale, I had been wanting this for like 5 years + (since I first saw it) So after getting it, watching it (1 and a half times) and absolutely loving it I wanted more.

Hence me joining MAL and rating it a 10 (it being perfect!) but now as I watch more and more anime I am finding more and more perfectin and also many anime very close to it. I keep having to resist the urge to rate every anime in my completed list with a 10 except for a close few who would be a 9, I try to keep it at the score I origionally gave it, but it just feels sad..

I absolutely loved paranoia agent, so much that I marathoned most of it, but I rated it a 8 not because it wasn't great but because some of my other 9s I feel where slightly better, so I rated it relative. But then with Gundam SEED, I rated it a 10 (absolute) as there was nothing to compare it to >.>

Ahh complexity, do you ever go back and change your score for an anime? rate it absolute or relative? etc. Please help >.<
Apr 20, 2009 2:24 PM

May 2008
Yeah it's a really serious problem. ;)
Anyway, you only have several entries in completed, and they are actually good series, so don't be surprised you liked them.

My advise is not too think about it too much - change ratings when you feel like it, leave them be when you don't... who cares.

Ratings are only meaningful for the best (and possibly the worst) entries on your list - because who cares if you gave a 5 or a 6 to some mediocrity. So if you really want to keep your ratings up to date, do it only for the important ones.

I added most of the stuff when I joined, so I had a pretty good idea how to rate them. And I know what deserves a 10 in my book - there are only two.

NHK touched and shaked me in ways I never anticipated.
Transformers is a childhood memory, watched it dozens times, and it's still fabulous now, over 20 years later.
I don't think anything will top them so I guess I'm fine and without your dilemmas. ;)
dichromaticApr 20, 2009 2:37 PM

Apr 20, 2009 2:28 PM

Apr 2009
I usually rate by how much I enjoyed it instead of how a film critic would rate. I rate the ones I enjoyed 7-10 usually (depending on how much I love it; I know that a lot of people think 7 on this site is bad but it's called "good", just... less so than omgamazing.)

The ones I liked enough usually get 5-6 and 4 and below for the ones I didn't. D:.
Apr 20, 2009 2:32 PM

May 2008
Yes... the names for ratings are there for a reason, you might as well go by them.
If you think most of the stuff you watched deserve to be called a masterpiece, then just rate them 10.
On the other hand, you might eventually see something that you will have no doubts is the best and it may become your only 10.

Apr 20, 2009 2:34 PM

May 2008
You shouldn't rate animes by comparing them to others. If you want to give an anime a 10 but have another anime you have rated 10 and feel is better than this anime then you should still give it a 10 since they are different things :D Just rate the anime from your gut feeling instead of thinking to much about it ^.^

'People die when they are killed'- Fate/stay night.
The world just keeps getting more and more intelligent.
Apr 20, 2009 2:37 PM
Jun 2008
Yeah I rate by enjoyment.

Well......most of my ratings are random so maybe I should re rate by enjoyment.
Apr 20, 2009 2:44 PM

Feb 2009
If I went free for all thought, alot of my animes would be a ten. Gundam seed was initially a ten because everytime I hear that opening I feel something, even before I watched the series this time around, like something left over from my childhood, it was also the first anime I watched with my girlfriend, she even cried during it so hence its rating.

But then again, I think I will look like a mad twat rating all the anime with 10s hahhaa.
Also I look back on my list, like at Paranoia agent, I rated it an 8 but I think it is 9 worthy simply because the last few episodes make it great, but compared to something like ergo proxy or GITS:SAC Its nothing (both of which are 9s) so I end up getting into this huge self conflict where by changing the rating of one anime, I must re-assess all of them hahaha.

Please tell me someone else has this issue >.>

corbenic said:
NHK touched and shaked me in ways I never anticipated.

I looked up NHK from your page and after reading it decided to add it to my plan to watch list aswell XD

Mod edit: Please do not double post.
asandariApr 20, 2009 8:43 PM
Apr 20, 2009 2:44 PM

Sep 2008
I do the same, my ratings go by how much I enjoyed an anime. Ones I've rated as masterpieces or 10s are the ones that just leave a lasting impression, memory, feeling or whatever you'd like to call it.

suicideducky said:
If I went free for all thought, alot of my animes would be a ten. Gundam seed was initially a ten because everytime I hear that opening I feel something, even before I watched the series this time around, like something left over from my childhood, it was also the first anime I watched with my girlfriend, she even cried during it so hence its rating.

But then again, I think I will look like a mad twat rating all the anime with 10s hahhaa.
Also I look back on my list, like at Paranoia agent, I rated it an 8 but I think it is 9 worthy simply because the last few episodes make it great, but compared to something like ergo proxy or GITS:SAC Its nothing (both of which are 9s) so I end up getting into this huge self conflict where by changing the rating of one anime, I must re-assess all of them hahaha.

Please tell me someone else has this issue >.>

I hear you, I also did that with a few animes on my list haha!
"It's because you exist.. That I'm here right now.."
Apr 20, 2009 2:51 PM

Apr 2009
According to the site, a rating of a 5 is "average" but a 5/10, or a 50/100 is an F according to school standards. I would think that anything 1-5 would be bad, 6 would be below average, but watchable, 7 is average, 8 is good, 9 is amazing, and 10 is perfect.

But then again, one person might give an anime a 10, while another gives it a 1. Ratings are a matter of opinion, so its not really important anyway.

Apr 20, 2009 3:03 PM

Feb 2005
I've changed my rating over and over again. Hellsing TV for example, got a high rating initially, but dropped after I read the manga which was so much better.
Likewise, I've had plenty of other anime with very high ratings that have been lowered substantially.
Before watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes, I had an overwhelming amount of 7-8-9's on my list, but in order to rescale everything to fit my newly discovered rating paradigm, I've been trying to use 5 as a basis much more.
Apr 20, 2009 3:14 PM

May 2008
Yeah, I guess that comes with having watched more and more anime.
You begin to notice then how cliche and similar to each other many of them are.

There's one small problem with lower ratings - 5 is 'average' but 4 is already 'bad', while 'good' is at 7 with a 'fine' in between at '6'. Minor disproportion there.

Apr 20, 2009 3:17 PM

Feb 2009
I generally drop anything I would rate 6 or below, 6s are usually fine anime with good animation but not interesting to me. I find it easy to rate something bad, but hard to rate something that is good and determine "how good".

Like I saw GITS:SAC before seeing GITS and I rated SAC a 9 where GITS a 7 simply because the voice acting was nowhere near SAC >.>

The more I try explain, the dumber I sound hahah fail.
Apr 20, 2009 3:22 PM

Jul 2008
Baman said:
I've changed my rating over and over again. Hellsing TV for example, got a high rating initially, but dropped after I read the manga which was so much better.
Likewise, I've had plenty of other anime with very high ratings that have been lowered substantially.
Before watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes, I had an overwhelming amount of 7-8-9's on my list, but in order to rescale everything to fit my newly discovered rating paradigm, I've been trying to use 5 as a basis much more.

Well, thanks for saying exactly what I wanted to say since I couldn't find a way to properly phrase it. I tend to find my ratings for a lot of shows degrade over time, and as you watch more you begin to find what is genuinely good. Those generally cement themselves nicely.

When it actually comes down to picking a rating, find a scale that works for you. Since if you can't find one that works for you, the point is moot.

suicideducky said:

Welcome to my life.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Apr 20, 2009 3:39 PM

Feb 2009
Bakayaro said:
Welcome to my life.

Thats sadly slightly comforting...

I think that at some point, I am going to have to rewatch (atleast in part) every anime I have ever seen and rate it again >.< It seems the only way I will ever feel satisfied.

I guess its due to initially I rated Gundam SEED 10 as at the time it was perfect, nothing could beat it, but it was the first anime where I watched every episode (and in order, damn you cartoon network and your replays!) But now after seeing more and more animes I find it actually makes it much harder.

Also its hard to compare animes that are unrelated, like:

• Ergo proxy full of action, dark colours and its philisophical discussions
  • Full metal panic with its colours, comedy and romance

I guess I must suffer from some form of OCD or something
[edit] well thanks everyone I guess I am just going insane or something haha
chrisosaurusApr 20, 2009 3:48 PM
Apr 20, 2009 3:50 PM

Aug 2008
Bakayaro said:
Baman said:

Well, thanks for saying exactly what I wanted to say since I couldn't find a way to properly phrase it. I tend to find my ratings for a lot of shows degrade over time, and as you watch more you begin to find what is genuinely good. Those generally cement themselves nicely.

When it actually comes down to picking a rating, find a scale that works for you. Since if you can't find one that works for you, the point is moot.

suicideducky said:

Welcome to my life.

Basically what these guys said.

I think that I should go over mine and re-assess my shows. I'm thinking what Baman is with the Hellsing TV. I rated it quite high, but I preferred the manga.

Basically what Bakayaro said with finding what works for you. I might try and give mine some lower scores so I can average out the ones that really deserve the 8, 9's and 10's.
Apr 20, 2009 3:52 PM
Jul 2018
hmm i dont really care how i rate animes
it all depends on the time

if im rating it when i just got my report card, sorry folks, that animes gonna get butchered no matter how good it is
Apr 20, 2009 3:54 PM

Jul 2008
I'm gonna try to help, but odds are I'll only end up complicating it more. Anime OCD YEAH!

So, Character/Story/Enjoyment/Execution. They're what I like to think about before rating, and in regards to Ergo Proxy vs. FMP! they're more important since the genres are more or less unrelated. Once you've seen a bit more, you can rate against those in similar style if you'd like. Still, I generally use those four categories as what I look to when I begin to rate. Music/Animation(for the time) come into account as well, albeit to a lesser degree than the first four.

Apr 20, 2009 4:08 PM

Feb 2005
Bakayaro said:
So, Character/Story/Enjoyment/Execution. They're what I like to think about before rating, and in regards to Ergo Proxy vs. FMP! they're more important since the genres are more or less unrelated. Once you've seen a bit more, you can rate against those in similar style if you'd like. Still, I generally use those four categories as what I look to when I begin to rate. Music/Animation(for the time) come into account as well, albeit to a lesser degree than the first four.
And then naturally, I need to asses the series in question in order to find out which of those factors are the most important.
Code geass r2 for example, got completely butchered by me because it started out where the first season left off with a potentially good story but ended up in a quagmire of plotholes and inconsistencies, which was fatal since it's genre is based precisely around plot and characters.
Series like Lucky Star on the other hand, won't get a kick because it doesn't have a profound story, seeing how story is not it's main focus.

I also try to consider the age the series was released in, Armored Trooper Votoms for example, has not got the best animation I've seen, but considering it was aired in 83, it would be foolish to compare it with newer series.
Apr 20, 2009 4:16 PM

Jun 2008
Shugocharalover said:
You shouldn't rate animes by comparing them to others. If you want to give an anime a 10 but have another anime you have rated 10 and feel is better than this anime then you should still give it a 10 since they are different things :D Just rate the anime from your gut feeling instead of thinking to much about it ^.^
I dunno about that. I mean, we are constantly comparing something, how else can we say something is good, unless we've experienced something bad? This is why nobody has all 10s on their list. Those that were scored lower maybe the cause was "it's boring", "it's bad", then we must have compared with something in order to make that decision.

One particular thing I have with rating is that I seldom go back and change the ratings. I know if I ranked it high, I must have liked it, no matter what opinions I have now. If I had many low-rated animes, I would question myself, "why am I still watching anime even though I disliked most of them?" It's one reason why I don't get why some people have so many low-rated animes (especially completed ones). I understand people have different systems, so a 5 for them might be average, which is fine by me. But if they have a bunch of under 5s, then that question would arise.
Apr 20, 2009 7:17 PM

Feb 2009
(=< 6) == dropped XP
I understand where you are coming from, but I actually feel like my old ratings are no longer accurate as I have surpassed the old me in my knowledge of anime. But then again every second I watch anime I am surpassing myself as I was a second ago so this train of thought would just lead to continual revisions and therefore insanity...

The reason I care is because my animelist effectively reflects and represents my tastes in anime to the world... But then again I'm just being a perfectionist O.O

Bakayaro said:
Character/Story/Enjoyment/Execution & Music/Animation(for the time)

You missed an imporant factor, opening XD

Good opening == win IMO.

I honestly think I might let myself, just this once, re-assess some of my anime, I think its for the better.

Thanks guys, I do feel slightly less insane. slightly.

Mod Edit: Please do not double post.
asandariApr 20, 2009 8:44 PM
Apr 20, 2009 7:21 PM

Apr 2008
I rate high, I assume a lot of other people do too since I dont think I've ever seen lower than a 5... maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Anyway I think of it as a scale from 1-5... that starts with 6 lol
1-6
2-7
3-8
4-9
5-10

I rarely rate lower than that because well.... anything lower than that is usually dropped before I rate it.
Apr 20, 2009 7:34 PM

Feb 2009
FlyingPlumTree said:
I rate high, I assume a lot of other people do too since I dont think I've ever seen lower than a 5... maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Check out my dropped list then ?!?

I do like the idea of a out of 5 system thought, means there is a bigger difference between two values.. HMMM
Apr 20, 2009 7:49 PM

Feb 2009
I rate on a 4 scale

1. Didn't like it
2. Ok, not likely going to keep a copy though.
3. Liked it, happy to keep in subs.
4. I want this in dvd.

Anything more than that is just getting too complicated.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Apr 20, 2009 7:56 PM

Jul 2008
See, I find this humorous personally. I remember the days when people were requesting that anime scoring had decimals to the tens places added, yet people rarely use anything lower than six or seven. Ahhh, good times.

Pages (19) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 8 hours ago

31 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

76 by velvetnyan »»
13 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

55 by Pokitaru »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 6 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
43 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 11 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
54 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.