Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (19) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Sep 3, 2012 6:00 AM
Mar 2012
Well..naturally all the anime I watch are exclusive to my own opinions to the degree that all the anime I watch are all ones that enjoy watching..for the most part.

But categorically speaking, I'd rate it through, character development, storyline/plot, and enjoyment.
Sep 3, 2012 6:26 AM

Aug 2007
Basically is how I wnjoy the anime, and if it has good animation, story, etc.
Sep 3, 2012 6:59 AM

Jun 2008
As for me, there is nothing definite, I rate according to what number feels right. That may sound dumb, but rather than putting each of them into numbers to get the score for the anime all in all, I'm already subconsciously affected by factors such as story and characters. I wouldn't rate an anime I liked less than 7 (and thus one I disliked higher than 6), though. In the first place, I watch anime to enjoy it, therefore thinking so much about rating is a bit... ^^° Even though I'm neither into writing nor reading reviews, I've come across many reviewers who rate many separate things before arriving at a conclusion, but translating (parts of) an anime into numbers doesn't feel right.
Sep 3, 2012 7:07 AM

Aug 2012
Whatever feels right.
Sep 3, 2012 7:48 AM

Sep 2010
how you should.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2012 8:01 AM
Nov 2011
SRTHGV said:
I've not seen any similar threads so I decided to post this.
Muhahaha ...

I'd say I place my resulting score, considering it both objectively and subjectively (and before anybody points it out, I know it sounds ridiculous.) As most out there, I do take all those 'basic' aspects--animation, sound, artwork, enjoyment, plot--into consideration and try to base the judgement as objectively as possible but yes, I admit subjective score is probably the one that's yielded (if not wholly subjective, then partly.) I compare the things I watch and rate with other things I've given the same rating to and have watched at some point in time. Plus, not to forget, as again most out there, I constantly keep on changing scores I've already given because in time, one (at least, me) tends to get that inert feeling of some already-watched anime not being worthy of the rating provided; again, another proof of subjectivity.

Post-Josh said:
Unless you literally score every different aspect and then take a weighted average to get your score, which would be ridiculous by the way, you can't.
I don't know if it's true or not, but this dude does what you point out. He's quite awesome, by the way.

Post-Josh said:
Every anime needs to be approached and rated individually, it doesn't make any sense to say one scale fits all.
Amen.
Sep 3, 2012 8:12 AM

Aug 2010
Yvese said:
Shuhan said:
Neane1993 said:
Enjoyment.
Pretty much sums it all.
Sep 3, 2012 8:13 AM

Mar 2011
I use a sorting algorithm that differentiates between anime by comparing the quality of various components, including the aesthetics and audio, the coherence and intrigue of the plot and it's progression, the amiability of the characters and the their evolving social framework, and the natural bias that has no identifiable reason behind it.

Or I just use comparison.
Sep 3, 2012 8:38 AM

Nov 2011
Neane1993 said:
Enjoyment.

this.

The rating(I use a 100/1000-number rating scale) depends on how much I enjoyed it compared to other anime.

2 examples :
If I like it more than the Haruhi movie(8.5) but less than gosick(8.6) it becomes a 8.55.
Or if I liked it more than Gungrave(6.3) but less than Genshiken(6.5) it becomes a 6.4

A 5 is neutral, above means I liked it(5.1 or higher), below means I disliked it(4.9 or lower).

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Sep 3, 2012 3:57 PM
Jun 2008
I don't watch a lot of anime, but I watch anime the same reason I watch TV. For entertainment. If it keeps me entertained, and I can relate to a few characters, and the plot is interesting, then it's a good anime, as far as I'm concerned. I don't really care too much about voice acting, seeing as how I can't understand Japanese to begin with, and dubbed voice acting doesn't matter much to me. As long as the voice doesn't irritate me, I wouldn't be able to notice if it's bad voice acting or not, like so many others can.
Sep 4, 2012 2:33 AM
Dec 2011
I don't know, if it draws me in than it draws me in, I am all over the place with genres it's not even funny. So I guess enjoyment
Sep 4, 2012 2:58 AM

Jan 2011
How much I enjoy it + plot + one point because I'm usually too harsh.
Sep 4, 2012 4:40 AM

Nov 2011
Just by how much I enjoyed it.
But...I'm bad at rating things xD
Sep 4, 2012 5:02 AM

Feb 2009
Anyway back to the main point. How do you rate your anime?

I go with the 5 minute rule. If the show doesn't have one element I require in an anime in 5 minutes sorry not interested. Because with several hundred shows being released every year it seems, no one needs to spend all season just to realize 'hey that show sucked'.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Sep 4, 2012 8:09 AM

Mar 2011
Lesley_Roberta said:
Anyway back to the main point. How do you rate your anime?

But you're not answering the question "How do you rate your anime", you're answering the question "How do you decide to drop or watch an anime?".
Sep 4, 2012 10:30 AM

Aug 2012
I usually like every anime,it's just i'm to lazy to watch them all,I rate them by the Animation,and if it's funny. If not i'll probaly like it anyway.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2012 10:45 AM

Jul 2012
Characters and Plot that fit my likings making it enjoyable !
Cool or nice Art !
Sound doesn't matter so much
Sep 4, 2012 11:13 AM

Oct 2011
Enjoyment only (which has plot, music, characters and rest of it of course) from 1-9 - ok 5-9 as I drop series that could get something from 1-5
I don't give 10 in first watch all of 10's come from rewatching
Sep 4, 2012 11:40 AM

Feb 2008
1-4 is bad, 5 is average, 6-8 is good, 9-10 awesome.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Sep 4, 2012 12:00 PM

Sep 2012
I rate the animes based on the overall enjoyment. What enjoys me best will depend on the plot, sound animation and credibility in some cases (drama and/or psychological animes, for example).
"Ouvis? Falai vós cortês! Vós, fidalgo, cuidareis que estais na vossa pousada? Dar-vos-ei tanta pancada com um remo que renegueis!" Auto da Barca do Inferno, Gil Vicente

Ignorância gera violência, nela nunca procurei abrigo
Cultivo a paz pela subsistência da existência deste universo onde resido.
Se estás a um passo do abismo pensa bem,
Não queiras para os outros o que não queres para ti também.
Sala 101 - Dealema
Sep 4, 2012 4:59 PM

Dec 2011
I rate mine by the words next to the numbers :L Mostly 6-10 usually from "fine" to "very good" since I struggle to find an anime I dislike. But If the story drew me in and I completely loved the anime and couldn't stop watching then I'll consider a "masterpiece".
-----------------------------
Sep 4, 2012 5:19 PM

Feb 2009
Enjoyment/Plot and most important of all the Ending!
Sep 5, 2012 2:25 AM
Nov 2011
memorable characters, character development

a story that is not so predictable... you don't know for sure what's going to happen next

art style.

being able to see myself in one of the characters is a + .

the ending is important for a good rating. (on my scales at least)

Sep 5, 2012 2:29 AM

Mar 2012
LordSenate said:
Enjoyment/Plot and most important of all the Ending!
Sep 5, 2012 5:14 AM

May 2009
As anime watching for me is solely for entertainment, then I rate it based on how much I enjoyed it. I leave breakdown of elements to critics.
Sep 5, 2012 5:28 AM
May 2007
Story/Characters
-What kind of archetypes are used? What is the setting? What are the themes and messages? How well can I relate?

Art/Animation
-Diverse character design/excellent backgrounds/high octane quality action (if applicable), how well they show the emotion, angles and panning where you can see as much as possible

Music
-Singers and bands (like is L'arc~en~ciel doing the theme song?), how well does it fit the atmosphere? Does it have an appropriate gimmick such as jazz for cowboy bebop or the eurobeat in initial d

Voice Acting
-Who is doing who. How well they bring out that character, etc.
Sep 5, 2012 9:17 PM

Sep 2012
I take a fairly simple approach.

I will directly rate an anime based on how much I enjoyed it, which is obviously going to be influenced by serious other factors such as a complex and interesting plot, great art and animation as well as the characters themselves.

When it does come right down to it though, enjoyment trumps all. Many people have favorites that they are willing to give perfect scores even if the anime has series issues as an anime from an objective perspective. Two significant examples I can think of for this are the Code Geass and Haruhi Suzimiya franchises. Both animes had their issues as an anime, Geass with pacing and a few others and Haruhi with a much less complex plot than the show would like to admit and the endless eight. Regardless, I see many people giving them perfect scores simply because of the fact that they enjoyed it that much.
Sep 6, 2012 12:40 AM

Jun 2011
However I want.
tfw no gf
tfw i keep getting the banhammer on here
tfw Koleare keeps banning me every other day
tfw I'm misunderstood by le mod
Sep 6, 2012 1:17 AM

Jul 2011
Story, Theme & Style are pretty synonymous factors I take into account when watching series and they're the criterias I go by when rating anime.

Story, premise and direction being the primary reasons for me to even bother.
Theme (element) being secondary as good storytelling can work around anything. And overall style (animation & art), with respect to the story and theme, seals the deal when it comes to watching anime.

I try to keep it balanced with different genres and elements, but generally it all boils down to a personal bias of whether I like the anime or not.
Sep 6, 2012 1:56 AM

Aug 2012
Enjoyment
Animation/Art
Characters
Plot

that's it usually
"You're making too much of me. All I am these days, is the poor owner of a small time candy store."-Kisuke Urahara
Sep 6, 2012 10:59 AM

May 2012
- Plot
- Art
- Enjoyment

That's about it :p
Sep 6, 2012 12:38 PM

Jul 2012
it needs to move me - elicit emotions - happy, sad, etc.

besides that, narrative & characters

enjoyment is a given ^^
Sep 6, 2012 1:50 PM

Aug 2008
It's my personal philosophy that it is impossible to judge any art form objectively, so enjoyment is the only criterion I take into consideration as all other things are contained within it.

Besides that, I don't go by the MAL ratings i.e. 10 being "Masterpiece", 9 being "Great", etc.

For me a 10 is an anime that is near to my favorites, and then all other ratings are just my enjoyment of said series relative to what I decided to rate a 10.
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
Sep 6, 2012 5:56 PM
Apr 2012
Because my way of reviewing stuff is complicated to explain, I'll shorten it down to something simple to understand.

- A great plot / storyline that's easy to follow and doesn't require massive overthinking and making no sense at all.
- Enjoyment. While I am a guy who has be entertained by stuff easily, just one small flaw or constant bs is enough to make me not let it live up to it's exceptions and will probably be rated lower.
- Likeable characters.
- Great OP / ED (purely optional but if it's enough to make me mute it, then it's not going to be good).
- Ending isn't a asspull (ie: one that is really bad and doesn't make sense). I enjoy happy asspulls (ie: Amnesia), but not ones that make me want to throw my fist through a wall in anger.
- Artstyle.

So yeah, my ratings are probably retarded. Basically you should rate stuff out of your own enjoyment and not on the guide of others.
Sep 6, 2012 10:40 PM

Sep 2008
Characters are the most important part for me. I mean it could have the best written story ever, but with boring characters I wouldn't give a damn; but on the other hand, it could have the most generic story, but really fleshed out and enjoyable characters and I'd love it.

Soundtrack is second. Background music really sets the scene.

And enjoyment, but that really goes hand and hand with the above.
Sep 6, 2012 11:42 PM

Dec 2009
Angel_Beats said:
enjoyment/plot
Sep 7, 2012 11:10 AM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
I rate my anime shows based on the impact it gave me emotionally and metaphysically. I know that may seem strange, but I don't usually pay attention to detail on a show's technical properties unless it really shows through my interest. Notice how I only have 2 shows with perfect scores. The bigger the impact the higher the score. But I do think an interesting plot is one of the big things that are important for me in a show.
Sep 7, 2012 12:34 PM

Aug 2012
I'm similar to the above post. I like shows that gives me an impact - deep plots and strong characters will get highly rated. Doesn't matter if the anime is old if it's fantastic it will get a high rating same goes for animation. It doesn't have to be the best it's the story and the characters that makes the show for me. I also like good music as it can really set the mood.

I rate according to:
1. Enjoyment and impact
2. Deep plots and strong characters
A house is made from bricks and stones but a home is made from love alone!
Sep 7, 2012 12:37 PM

Aug 2009
I just overrated everything. (Mainly with 9s and 10s)
Regardless if its good or terrible.

As long I enjoyed it is all that matters. (Also some of them are there to keep track of my favourites)
Sep 7, 2012 12:42 PM

Apr 2011
Shaonova said:
I take a fairly simple approach.

I will directly rate an anime based on how much I enjoyed it, which is obviously going to be influenced by serious other factors such as a complex and interesting plot, great art and animation as well as the characters themselves.

When it does come right down to it though, enjoyment trumps all. Many people have favorites that they are willing to give perfect scores even if the anime has series issues as an anime from an objective perspective.

Same here and I agree. You have put it better than I was going to.
Sep 13, 2012 6:35 AM

Sep 2011
Anything above 5 is good, anything below 5 is bad.

Things that give it a better rating
Fan Service +

Things that prevents it from getting a good rating
Not enough Fan Service -
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Sep 13, 2012 7:19 AM

Oct 2010
8-10 Not so sexist
6-8 Sexist
4-6 Very sexist
0-4 Get this trash out from my sight!
Sep 13, 2012 8:58 AM

Sep 2011
Enjoyment and/or plot.

Sep 13, 2012 9:04 AM

May 2012
by how I feel. if I feel that it's a damn masterpiece then it's a masterpiece.

so yea enjoyment
Sep 13, 2012 9:34 AM

Mar 2012
Kairen said:
I just overrated everything. (Mainly with 9s and 10s)
Regardless if its good or terrible.

As long I enjoyed it is all that matters. (Also some of them are there to keep track of my favourites)

At least you can admit it?
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 13, 2012 9:50 AM
Jan 2012
1. Characters.
2. Story
3 Voice Acting
4 Art
5. Music

I've watched tons of anime with bad story but amazingly interesting characters which kept me from going bored like C - The possibility of money and control and Jigoku Shoujo.

Though crappy stories in general the characters kept me amused long enough to finish the episode, re watch it again and hope for another season.
Sep 13, 2012 10:14 AM

Apr 2010
Story, music, characters, pacing, and entertained I was after the last episode.
Sep 13, 2012 4:46 PM

Nov 2010
Animation, OST, characters and above all enjoyment.
Sep 14, 2012 9:36 AM

Aug 2009
1.Enjoyment
2.Ending assuming its actually the last episode and will not be continued later.
Sep 14, 2012 11:35 AM

Sep 2012
Everything - enjoyment, animation, music, art style, VAs, the little things dependent on the genre (eg comedy for SOLs) length, pacing, characters, beginning, ending.
Pages (19) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 20 minutes ago

3 by M_MASTER »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 9 hours ago

14 by LNW_R92CP »»
12 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

39 by ryzxgum »»
25 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ame - Apr 16

161 by Otakupervert890 »»
27 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 10 hours ago

38 by InsomniacBastard »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.