Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (19) « First ... « 17 18 [19]
Jul 23, 2019 10:24 AM

Dec 2018
If you think hard enough, you can always find a flaw or a possible improvement. So purely objectively speaking, a 10/10 is impossible.
I mostly rate pure on my enjoyment, though more objective aspects can affect that, like good music that fits the mood, or shitty, dry dialogue. Some people like to release all kinds of calculations; I rate quite loosely.

Ratings:

2-4: Bad or unenjoyable shows, one a little worse than the other.
1: My absolute bottom-pile of trash. They're basically a 2 but with zero redeeming factors or just a personal hatred towards them lol.
5: Average, mediocre or simply forgettable (because usually it's the extremes one remembers)
6: The above average but nothing great
7: The okay-section
8: Good anime. 8+ rated anime would be the ones I'd recommend to others.
9: Great anime, the sub-top as it were
10: My personal favourites, but definitely not flawless. They're just so good/enjoyable that it's flaws can be overlooked.
Oregairu is life
Jul 23, 2019 10:45 AM

Sep 2012
From my profile, "Observations on how I rate things":
If an entry gives me exactly what I expect of it and I feel adequately entertained then I tend to give it a default 7.

Entries that entertain me beyond what I expected will climb to an 8, and if done so consistently for a long time reach 9. 10 is reserved for series that I consider flawless.

Any series that fails to entertain me to the degree I expect will fall below a 7. The longer they disappoint me and how badly they do so determines how low the score drops.
Jul 23, 2019 2:07 PM
Mar 2017
i won't go into detail explanation on how i rate an Anime for a full review on it, but in a much more simple and general way:

first is thinking back how much enjoyment it brought me, that's the most important thing about an Anime by the end of the day.

second, i would think about how well the Plot was put together and how well written was the characters and their progression, was the Anime stall or had good development?

lastly, i would look at Animations and Music, was i enjoying the visuals and sounds that were coupled with the story? did they add anything to it? made it worse? or was barely there? was it pleasant to watch it or made my eyes sore and made me cringe of how bad it looks?

thats mostly it.
Aug 30, 2019 5:43 PM
Mar 2017
I never give 1’s because I don’t force myself to watch shows I don’t like. A 1 would be an anime that based on the type/description I would never watch (like horror).
I’ve only given a couple 2’s and those are anime I’ve dropped almost immediately. Those are anime that in my personal tastes are horrible (e.g., Date a Live had a dumb premise in my opinion plus I didn’t dig the incest vibes, Wolf Girl & Black Prince seemed kind of abusive to me and I’m not about that).
3’s are a little more tolerable, but still dropped. Sekirei I do watch here and there for the “so bad, it’s good” experience. Yuri Kuma Arashi I had started because I love yuri, but I couldn’t get over the silliness of “these humans smell so good.”
4’s I also usually drop, but still had redeemable qualities. Attack on Titan is one for me because of the titans scare me and just the scene where the mom gets nommed on in the first episode caused me to drop the show. The show I’m sure is great for a lot of people, but for me, I don’t do that kind of anime.
5’s are meh to me and I almost always drop them. They aren’t anything to write home about. For example, I couldn’t get past the first episode of Your Lie in April. A lot of good qualities to the show, but I found it boring and the ending predictable based off of the first scene. They are usually boring, in my opinion, but may have good production quality, art, etc. The only 5 I have completed is Final Fantasy Spirits Within, probably because it’s a film. Since I’m a fan of Final Fantasy, that may have affected my scoring (either for better or worse) and my willingness to finish it.
6’s, aside from the one exception, is the lowest score in my Completed. 6’s are usually 5’s with some special something that pushes them over the edge. Rosario + Vampire is really campy and I’m not usually about harem/ecchi anime; however, I’m a fan of most of the VAs and there are a couple episodes that I enjoy rewatching for different reasons (I.e., the succubus math teacher and the singing episode). Wolf Children was another 6 for me. Some of the character choices and the excessive depressing events annoyed me. However, the kids were adorable and I like their VAs. Code Geass was another, probably controversial, 6. That was a show that I watched because it was interesting enough that I wanted to know what happened, but I can’t stand Lelouch.
7’s I liked, but would probably never re-watch. D-Frag is one. I really enjoyed it—it had cute moments, funny moments, and cute character reactions. But nothing stood out as something I would need to watch again. Bungou Stray Dogs first two seasons are other 7’s. I enjoyed watching them, but I had issues with some plot holes/inconsistencies in characters/etc. and nothing stood out as needing to re-watch. A lot of my 7’s are also shorts/specials to anime I really love. For example, Himouto Umaruchan S and the Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid shorts. They are cute, but so short that I wouldn’t need to rewatch them.
I actually have a lot of 8-10’s in my Completed. If I’m taking the time to finish an anime, then I better really like it. 8’s I’m also less likely to re-watch, but they have more moments/characters that stand out and that I’ll remember. It also might have episodes I’ll rewatch, or I’ll possibly rewatch it once or twice, but not several times like my 9’s and 10’s. Space Dandy is an 8 for me. QT is one of my favorite characters and the show is really funny. However, there are some episodes that I didn’t really like. Shimoneta is another that I really enjoyed, but I felt the second half of the season was not nearly as strong as the first.
9’s and 10’s I both love and generally rewatch multiple times. For me, 10’s have one or more of the following that 9’s don’t: a. I feel the need to watch it with my husband/friend to share the experience (e.g., Nozaki-Kun was a romantic comedy that I knew my husband would enjoy), b. It has a character that becomes one of my favorites and I look up everything his/her VA has done in the past. This character is usually really cute/attractive (eg., Naru from Barakamon, Yuuko from Nichijou, Erza from Fairy Tail, Merlin from Seven Deadly Sins), c. The show impacted me on a personal level in some way (e.g., Rurouni Kenshin was the first anime I ever watched, Fairy Tail was the first anime my husband got me into after it having been years since I saw Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai Champloo’s last few episodes made me feel all the feels). To me, a 10 doesn’t mean “perfect,” but it’s definitely something I can rewatch 10+ times and still love. It’s an anime I can forgive for its faults and just enjoy.
Aug 30, 2019 5:55 PM
Jul 2018
Mixture

If I enjoyed it (despite its flaws), I give it a 7, then depends on how good it is objectively, I add 0-3 scores to it.

If I didn't enjoy it (waste of time), I will give it a 1-5 score for enjoyment, then deduct 0-4 scores based on how good it is objectively.

6 is reserved for series where I'm 50-50 about it, there are things I like and things I don't
removed-userAug 30, 2019 5:59 PM
Aug 30, 2019 6:00 PM

Sep 2012
10 - I really like it a lot
9 and lower - I watched it forever ago
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Aug 30, 2019 6:00 PM

Oct 2017
shazzyy said:
objectivity is a mere falsehood created by critics to justify their opinions. true objectivity in critical works is simply unattainable which is why we've tried the best as we can to define it. many authors have tried to quantify good character writing and bad character writing but its simply a theory based on what seems to have worked and been most successful. if there was truly objectivity in art then everyone would love the same anime and hate the same anime but that isn't what happens. we all have our own idea of objectively good stuff and therefore a 10/10 is 100% possible too. if your objectivity values certain things and other things are not as important then yes, in their definition, it is a 10/10. you can't say a 10/10 cannot exist as flaws in art really don't exist themselves, we just make them exist through our own percieved objectivity. your idea of a flaw could be someone else's idea of a strength. as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

This is extremely well put. I want to tattoo it on my face so everyone I talk to irl will have to read it.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Aug 30, 2019 6:01 PM
May 2018
10: I would re watched that shit
9: I loved it but I wouldn't rewatch it
8: I liked it
7: It was ok
6: Not my cup of tea
Aug 30, 2019 6:07 PM
Mar 2019
Biggest make or break for me in most anime ratings is romance...if i see romance tag yet its nothing but flirts or ships i instantly drop. Yes other factors i take into account but this is the first thing i look into, including lenght of season it may have. So rare to find these now a days but thats how i do it...very few exceptions truth be told. Also the length of character development, and plot.
Aug 30, 2019 6:10 PM
Aug 2018
Very similar, or almost same to MAL.
Aug 30, 2019 8:03 PM
Jul 2018
I used to rate shows based mostly on enjoyment, but then I switched to a system in which I rate the quality of various elements of each show. I ended up rating shows based on: 1) Plot, 2) Well-written characters and well-written character relationships, 3) How elaborate the setting is, 4) Background music, 5) Morals (if applicable), 6) Humor (if applicable). (I excluded art, animation, and voice acting because at the time I wasn't knowledgeable enough to judge those areas. This was a few years ago.)

I was rating each element from 0-10, with 10 being "perfect in that category", 0 being "the worst possible in that category", and the numbers between just being anywhere in between.

But eventually, I came to the conclusion that this system is not appropriate for all shows, such as off-the-wall comedy shows. My rating system lends itself to higher ratings for more serious shows with a more serious plot.

I then decided that I want to change my rating system, but it would be so convoluted that I just haven't cared enough to deal with it yet. So a lot of the shows I've watched are now unrated, and I just keep an updated favorites list in my profile to show which animes are my personal favorites. Not just in my "favorites" section, but in my profile info, I list, in text, all the shows that I consider to be my favorites from rank 1 to 24 right now.

The rating system I'd probably want to use is probably a weighted system, in which, for a show which is clearly intended to be a comedy show, a higher percentage of the rating will be based on the quality of the comedy, whereas the depth of the plot or the depth of character development won't be as important.

But that might be unfair to comedy shows that do have a deep plot and/or deep character development.

I've also thought about the concept/possibility of rating shows in a way that the highest-rated shows would be the shows that the largest audience would be able to enjoy, appreciate, and consider to be a great show. But the problem with that is, that type of rating has (arguably) as much to do with people's individual tastes as it does with the quality of the show.

Also, even if I'm rating individual elements of the show (plot, quality of character development, etc.), even that is somewhat subjective. The only way to have completely objective rating system would be for the rating system to be exclusively data-driven, right? Because if I say "this show had a very well-written plot", I'd have to explain why it has a well-written plot, which would probably include some subjective judgments. Why is it that I considered this or that particular plot development to be brilliant? I would have reasoning for it, but even that is still somewhat subjective.

Also, if I'm rating the "quality" of the comedy, that's probably about as subjective as it gets.
Aug 30, 2019 8:09 PM

Apr 2019
The way that MAL has the 1-10 system set up is pretty good imo.
ItsyaboitrashmanSep 3, 2019 3:19 PM
Aug 30, 2019 8:23 PM

Jul 2019
I rate anime depending on how much i enjoyed watching it, If it made my laugh, Made me cry, Made me wanna watch more of it or read the manga, The animation quality, Story and character development.

Build The Cities (Empire Of Sound) [feat. Kerli]
Tristam x Karma Fields

00:58━━━━⬤━━━━━━━━━━━━━04:01
⇆ ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵◃ ❚❚ ▹ ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵ ឵឵↻
Aug 30, 2019 8:27 PM
Aug 2018
Aldnox said:
I rate everything based on enjoyment using the 1-10 rating system. I think objective quality and art are mutually exclusive.
I agree with you I rate based off enjoyment, since all the other factors affect the overall enjoyment anyways
Aug 30, 2019 8:36 PM

Apr 2017
I rate mostly on enjoyment, but may factor in originality if I find something truly unique that I've always been searching for lets say. But if I really didn't like the story I tend to rate objectively.
Also I find mood might play into it, having a bad/good day and I can't stand it and then go back to it another time and its the best thing I've ever seen, or watchable at least, and that can influence/change my score.

Aug 30, 2019 9:35 PM

Sep 2014
I tend to rate things lower since I'm a pessimist lmao 😂 (same with Asian dramas on Mydramalist)

1-2 hate it
3-5 meh/boring
6 fine
7 good
8-9 love it
I don't rate 10s...

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Apr 3, 2020 1:31 PM

Jul 2019
I rate anime based on: Story/10, Visuals/10, Audio/10, Characters/10, Enjoyment/10, and then take the mean score. Though, for me, this takes up a lot of time to think things through, like writing a review in my head.

So then I try using Enjoyment/10 only and take a score based on that, though, it can be biased since it doesn't take everything into account. However, it's faster and simple.
Apr 3, 2020 1:34 PM
Feb 2017
I always rate on enjoyment. I somewhat have a rating system on the profile, but it’s still ranking off my enjoyment.
Apr 3, 2020 1:47 PM

Sep 2018
I look at some of the more objective factors (plotholes) and mix that with my subjective opinion, wich consits of stuff like artistic value, characters,story and thematic development.

I usually only rate/finish shows i enjoy at least a bit of, it may not be much but even if its just "i dont care but what comes next". Enjoyment is a factor that is never really pin pointable, you can't explain enjoyment. For me its just enjoyment is not equal to quality of the show, wich should be obvious, but its a factor that elevates a mediocre show to a 6 or maybe 7 and something that downgrades a artistically good to a mediocre or worse score. It does not play a huge role in the really high or low tier tho, because there i enjoy them mostly on a equal level, it just comes down to quality there.

I mostly dont think to much about a score, because its just a stupid number attached to art.
-Mullerio-Apr 3, 2020 1:51 PM
Apr 3, 2020 1:50 PM

Apr 2019
Ways to rate anime? I rate animes based on my enjoyment.
Apr 3, 2020 2:01 PM

Jul 2019
I rate anime solely on my personal enjoyment. If the story is bad I'll drop it. Visuals and audio can't compensate for a bad/mediocre/ boring story (just look at the certain studio which I'm not gonna name). Good characters can definitely boost the rating for me.
Apr 3, 2020 2:04 PM

Sep 2015
A rate them on how well they achieve what they set out to achieve and unlike most people who like to give arbitrary definitions for scores and make up arbitrary conditions an anime have to meet to be rewarded with a score I give a rating relative to the other stuff I've seen. So a rating I give on it's own means nothing, only in context of my other ratings while for most, they want them to be absolute.
Apr 3, 2020 2:08 PM

May 2009
I ask myself how much I enjoyed or otherwise appreciated a series, with the following possible responses:

* I hated it
* I disliked it
* I felt meh about it
* I enjoyed or otherwise appreciated it
* I enjoyed or otherwise appreciated it very much

Then I map these to 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, respectively.

I use the numbers in between to say "I feel this way about it, but I feel like there was something else that makes me feel a little more positive/negative about the overall work".
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 3, 2020 2:09 PM

Jul 2016
Heldengeist said:
A rate them on how well they achieve what they set out to achieve and unlike most people who like to give arbitrary definitions for scores and make up arbitrary conditions an anime have to meet to be rewarded with a score I give a rating relative to the other stuff I've seen. So a rating I give on it's own means nothing, only in context of my other ratings while for most, they want them to be absolute.

I agree,because i do subconsciously take into account the scores i´ve give to other anime when it´s time to score a particular show.
Apr 3, 2020 3:04 PM

Jun 2016
I don't think about it that much. The number just comes to me which is why my ratings are garbage.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 3, 2020 3:07 PM

Apr 2017
Several duplicate topics merged into this thread.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Apr 3, 2020 3:10 PM

Sep 2016
Easy: I click on the button that says score and then select the appropriate vote in the dropdown menu.
bruh
Apr 4, 2020 12:48 AM

Jan 2018
My scores are typically based on how much I enjoyed the show, and how I feel about it critically. Though sometimes my scores are 100% based on my personal enjoyment.
==Luminouslyiii==

"The morning no longer comes."
Apr 4, 2020 8:04 AM

Feb 2020
It's a mix between the show's overall quality, how much it provided what it promised, how good the topics were handled, and my personal enjoyment.
And like other people above, I also rate shows based on the score I gave to others.
Apr 4, 2020 8:06 AM
Jul 2018
Based upon the text next to the scores, 10 (masterpiece) and so on
Apr 4, 2020 1:40 PM
Jul 2018
I usually rate it right after I finish an anime, but then end up 'reevaluating' the score. I rate anime based on characters, PACING, and story? Not sure how to explain it, but characters play a little role in my scoring.

edit: forgot this
10 - 8 (Great)
7 - 6 (Good)
5 - 4 (Fine)
3 - (Bad)
2 - 1 (Appalling)
Apr 4, 2020 1:44 PM

Aug 2018
Based on how likely I am to want to re-watch it, basically.

7 and up are definitely rewatchable. Tens, I might never get tired of.

Sixes, only rewatch if I am desperate.

Fives were barely worth watching once.

4 and below are crap I wish I hadn't wasted time on.
Apr 4, 2020 2:39 PM
Jul 2019
I judge on the basis of three criteria

Enjoyment

Quality of the anime- plot character music animation pacing

Potholes/illogical things that i notice
Apr 4, 2020 5:29 PM

Mar 2019
I rate my anime purely based on my enjoyment, not any objective review or "is this objectively good" I don't use MAL's rating and go off of my own:
10: Enjoyed every step of the way, my favorite shows that i could rewatch anytime, no problem, my favorite shows.

9: Great shows, these have minor flaw overshadowed by the great qualities.

8: Very good shows, these have more apparent flaws in their structure but hold up their own in the world building or character building. overall enjoyable.

7: Good shows, somewhat enjoyable watches, but inconsistencies may be apparent and signs of "meh" character and/or world building are apparent

6: okay shows, I kind of sit through these, they don't bring anything new to the table and aren't particularly outstanding. these shows show pretty big cracks in the story and world building

5: not very good shows, i rarely end up finishing them, these are pretty boring and don't have anything good to offer

4: bad shows, typical tropes and bad characters and world building

3 & Below: very bad shows, their score depend on how bad they are (1 being deplorable and 3 being very bad)
Apr 4, 2020 5:32 PM

May 2014
I use a 0-10 scale, though MAL won't let me actually give something a 0 without leaving it blank so I have to use 1 for those too.
Apr 4, 2020 5:39 PM

Mar 2020
Mainly by how much I’ve enjoyed it over all. However, I do try to be fair and not lowly rate an anime that I wasn’t too obsessed with (but liked anyway) and be more objective.
Apr 5, 2020 1:24 AM

Apr 2020
When it comes to scoring anime on MAL, I tend to look at a few key points:

• Plot/Character Development
  • Voice Acting (including dubbed)
  • Character Design
  • Final Thoughts/Impressions
  • Comedic or Serious?

I believe that these are a few main points that most scores should be solely based upon. For example, a show like "The Dangerous Life of Saiki K." has amazing voice acting (both sub and dub), impressive character design, and is pretty comedic with very few serious plot points. Overall, I gave it a 9 out of 10. Wasn't good enough to get a perfect score.

For JJBA (JoJo's Bizarre Adventures), the show is extremely serious with many hilarious scenes sprinkled across each season, has many unique character designs and has a strong plot. But, the English Dub (Part 3-5) for JJBA lacked emotion and didn't fit with each character and characters are usually forgotten about for multiple episodes due to Araki's lack of interest in his characters. Overall, I gave Part 1 and 2 an 8 out of 10, Part 3 a 9 out of 10, and Part 4 an 8 out of 10 as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I look for a ton of character and plot development in an anime series, whether it's a mini-series or an anime with 100+ episodes.

~Grim
Pages (19) « First ... « 17 18 [19]

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 4 hours ago

22 by LoveYourEyes »»
4 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

68 by DarkFirefly72 »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

26 by Ex-Aid »»
13 minutes ago

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 7 hours ago

12 by Ex-Aid »»
27 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

100 by FanofAction »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.