3It was OK
17.6%
2Disliked it
20.6%
1Hated it
20.6%
Average 2.9
34 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 18, 2011 3:31 AM

Oct 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
wow not a single discussion? this wasn't that bad = \
Nice conclusion and I believe this is the first anime that i see the childhood getting the guy instead of the random girl from beyond.
It sucks that it never was Junta's choice to whom to stay with though, the decision was kinda just made for him out of nowhere.
huh?
May 25, 2011 11:58 AM
Dec 2010
It can't be the end .... It was strange i excpected him to wake up and remmber her if not more... well it was surprice i guess .. not good one :P
Also Junta gt be mutant after so many DNA alterations haha

Overall it was good show, i didn't mind it had been targeted at people's minds 16 years ago though those hairs and cloths seemed strange in way hehe
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
May 25, 2011 12:00 PM
Dec 2010
choyos said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
wow not a single discussion? this wasn't that bad =
Nice conclusion and I believe this is the first anime that i see the childhood getting the guy instead of the random girl from beyond.
It sucks that it never was Junta's choice to whom to stay with though, the decision was kinda just made for him out of nowhere.

Yeah it was not nice for him not be able to decide for himself by himself
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
May 18, 2013 6:55 PM

Dec 2008
It was terrible!! every second of it was terrible! like holy fucking shit man, I can't believe I spent a whole day watching this anime series and then I get trolled this bad at the ending!

Where do I start?

The series ending was terrible, I thought it was rather vague, incomplete and many things left unexplained or they could have done a much better job developing or at least give us some clues about. Don't get me wrong, I loved the series, the plot was very good and unique even though if I told a friend at my university class about an anime with a plot like this one, they would think the same I did when I read the summary: what where they smoking when they come up with it? but strangely enough, it's so bizarre it actually works!
But damn, the ending was just terrible!

Looking for a better ending, I tried the OVA's... terrible mistake. The ending is even worse!! How come not even one of them showed anything about the relationship with Kotomi? And really? Tomoko gets togher with Ryujii after the fucking prick he has? what were they thinking?! great lesson for the kids: A rich fucking arrogant cocksucking prick beats the her up, stalks her, threatens her and beats up her new boyfriend, and he still gets the hot chick. yeah... great one indeed.

Karin Aoi going back to the future and wipping off Junta's memory was A TERRIBLE IDEA and the watching the whole fucking series a waste of time BECAUSE IT MADE IT SEEM LIKE IT WAS ALL A DREAM FOR JUNTA AND THAT NOTHING OF WHAT HAPPENED DURING THE WHOLE SERIES WAS REAL. WASTE OF TIME, RAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR CAN'T BELIEVE THEY WOULD TROLL THE WHOLE AUDIENCE LIKE THIS! You know, when you watch a movie or a game and work it so hard to complete it and then in the end it turns out it's all a dream and then he wakes up and nothing happened? exact same feeling here.

ANGRY FAN RIGHT HERE ! FUCK THOSE FUCKING FUCKERS!

IDIOTS! WORST ENDING EVER! The series ending was bad but the OVA ENDING IS EVEN WORST, which I thought would be impossible!
-Twista-May 19, 2013 9:26 AM
May 1, 2014 4:37 PM

May 2012
Cute ending I must say, I quite liked how everything was finished pretty awesomely and these 3 ova's really finish off the series pretty well! All by all I quite liked the concept, setting and overall development of the characters and story! 7-8/10
May 2, 2014 10:31 AM
Jul 2013
Well, I first watched it when I was little ...so I only have some really good memories. I just want to say, that this was a really nice anime and I was really happy when I watched it as child..everything was soo different ..than the other animes I had known at that time. Really loved the romance and supernatural plot. 8/10 ;)
Jul 30, 2014 2:00 AM
Mar 2011
choyos said:

Sorry to say, but it's kinda hard not to, seeing as how this was the final OVA and it's really gonna need a comparison of the manga. The OVAs attempted to adapt the manga's ending and somehow managed to botch it. First off, the whole anime's opening showed there's supposed to be conflict between Junta and his Mega Playboy form. None of it happened in the anime, despite it being so in the manga (the TV series also opted to skip Junta's training to make use of his powers).

Lulara's character was also crucial in the manga, as she was the 101st child of Junta's - her mother being Karin's. The OVAs, for whatever reason, decided to throw that out and make her the great grandchild. Because of Junta's conflict with his other self, Lulara ends up disappearing because Junta overcomes the Mega Playboy, thus making her vanish from existence. Karin's farewell from Junta was cut pretty damn short. Originally, she's given one more day to say her goodbyes and finish the job to make sure the Mega Playboy doesn't come back (or Lulara) and that Junta ends up with Ami. She goes out on a date with him for that day, as it's also so she can clear the air about her own feelings and make sure Junta's are clear (which results in him telling her he loves both her and Ami).

After all that, she shoots him with the bullet and returns to the future, her head cleared and proudly saying she couldn't let feelings get in the way as she was a pro.

Either way, in the end, the endings were all rushed because the series was cancelled in Weekly Shounen Jump. Notice how the series went from ecchi romcom to standard shounen battle. Dragon Ball was starting up and in the middle of the Majin Boo arc in the magazine by 1993 and 1994 and was a major force for the publication. It seemed like in order to try to prevent cancellation, Katsura pulled a genre shift (many other manga would later on do this, such as Medaka Box) to draw in better votes from the reader polls. Unfortunately, it did get cancelled and was the result of why it got a rushed ending.

Not sure why the OVAs did, though, since it managed to *somewhat* copy the ending of the manga several months after the manga ended.
Aug 15, 2014 8:23 PM

Dec 2008
I'm scared to even look at the manga. The ending of the 1994 anime was terrible, the OVAs one was even worse. By the walk of things, the manga must be abysmal. It's been a year already since I watched this and I still can't get over it. I can't believe I spent a whole day watching this series. It looked fine at first but the ending completely kills anything positive I had to say about DNA2.
Aug 16, 2015 4:23 PM

Jun 2013
Garbage ending.
The completely bland and unlikable girl wins... and this anime is saying that it's wrong to be a strong and fearless thus naturally attracting females... Instead, we guys have to be scarred barfing lil shits who hide behind girls, cry and run away from the fight.

I believe its safe to partially blame the population decline in Japan on this OVA. In fact, I'm gonna do just that from now on...

1/10.
Sep 17, 2015 11:30 PM

Jan 2013
I love the series, but really hated the last episode. So screwed up!
May 2, 2016 2:07 AM

May 2010
Lol what? That's it? Felt like really rushed
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 12, 2017 7:54 PM
Feb 2015
So if Junta has no memory of any of this, then Ami is in love with someone who doesn't exist. But promises to stay with him forever, because he hasn't suffered enough apparently.

Why does Lulara still exist? All of the kids were insanely fertile, so think about how much luck was involved in her not disappearing. She almost killed her own great grandmother, which would have destroyed a lot of things I bet.

The number of claimed descendants seems way too low. Her generation alone should have 250,000+ kids, not 12000 total descendents.
horrorshowjackFeb 12, 2017 7:59 PM
Jan 10, 2018 12:54 PM

Sep 2014
holy shit the ending was trash
I didn't even care too much for the series and I'm still pissed, if I liked it more I would be mad
it's better to have no ending at all, like the TV series did, than put in something stupid like this

3/10, 3 points lower than TV series
Mar 3, 2018 6:31 AM
Apr 2013
it wasnt the best one almost decent but i kinda want a second season just for juunji to slowly starting getting memories back and find a way to get to karin and they both embrace that they like each other, its clearly juunji isnt in love with ami but ami is in juunji

Mar 3, 2018 7:17 AM

Dec 2015
@SkymasterJsp

@Tsukuro The author didn't try to please the crowds as much as himself: it's him who felt stuck in the romcom zone when he dreamed of action, super-heroes, villains, etc.
I always saw this manga as a disguised attempt revealing itself in the process. ("submarine tactic")
Rei_IIIMar 16, 2019 1:09 AM
Apr 7, 2019 11:43 PM

Aug 2015
Seemed like the last scene showed the bullet still in the casing? Meaning somehow he didn't get hit?
That would seem to explain why Lulara didn't vanish from existence...since she otherwise should have immediately I would think.

The futuristic designs of Karin and Lulara in DNA^2 are reminded me of Katsura's designs for Iria: the Animation, which I liked quite a bit.
Seems like there was a bit of a quality drop in the artwork in these last three episodes.

When you think about it, the situation in the future with overpopulation must be pretty bad for the government to decide to erase a significant of people from existence and introduce any number of butterfly effects into the timeline. Also, it seems simplistic that Mori says Junta's male descendants show the Mega Playboy traits, and daughters are carriers; why wouldn't a woman have a Mega Playgirl tendencies too?

This stated out as ecchi silliness and then genre-shifted into serious science fiction, but the silliness of the Mega-Playboy premise kinda cut that off at the legs in episode 1. There is some good dialogue about 'nature and nurture' but lacking in the character development I would want from a piece of science fiction. I just treated it as echhi rom-com and applied a low standard to this anime.
Karin is best girl
glassknucklesApr 8, 2019 11:49 AM
Apr 19, 2019 8:36 AM

Nov 2016
Not bad, I defintiely like bittersweet endings. Still think that these last couple of episodes were not nearly as enjoybale as the beginning of the series :S

The manga is my last hope now.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 6, 2023 10:43 PM

Mar 2019
Everyone who came from the future has clothes of Dragon ball character lol. 🐉

More topics from this board

Poll: » DNA² OVA Episode 2 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - May 1, 2014

1 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 6, 2023 10:08 PM

Poll: » DNA² OVA Episode 1 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - May 1, 2014

4 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 6, 2023 9:42 PM

» A random find in the OVA

Imaishi - Jan 10, 2018

4 by Kristiwazhere »»
Jul 23, 2019 3:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.