Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Is Kyoani the best anime studio?
May 8, 2011 4:46 PM

Jun 2008
I've been reading the Nichijou manga ever since the anime came out.

and just like Lucky star, the manga is OK at best.

The anime is FAR superior to the manga for both Lucky Star and Nichijou, and even K-ON manga is nowhere near as good as K-ON anime.

I've genuinely been impressed by how Kyoani can keep making popular anime from titles that NO ONE has ever heard from.

So this leads me to ask: Is KyoAni the best anime studio?

Is it just Otaku that have made these series so good???

Then how do you explain Clannad, FMP TSR, and Kanon.

It seems that everything Kyoani does turns to gold.

Of course with the exemption of ENDLESS FUCKING EIGHT....may you rot in hell!!!!!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 8, 2011 5:19 PM

Sep 2009
well, they're butthurt when it comes to ecchi stuff like it happend in K-On Manga a few times, but aside from that I totally agree with you, they're my favourite Studio by far.
May 8, 2011 5:31 PM

Jul 2009
I'm not going to say that any studio is the 'best', because I think that there are quite a few who are better at certain things, but I do think that KyoAni are the best- or, at least one of the best- at adapting and improving source material (...other than Endless Eight, of course)
ocathalainMay 9, 2011 8:36 AM
If any of my posts seem odd, it's probably because I'm tired. Sorry. I have sleeping issues.
May 8, 2011 10:09 PM

Dec 2008
I wouldn't say the absolute best. That's the only point in your post I don't absolutely agree on.

Great studio nonetheless, more power to them so long as they use it smartly.
Will I fall in love someday? I wonder?

May 8, 2011 10:22 PM

Oct 2009
Nope. Kyoto Animation lacks diversity. Their shtick is getting really old... Can't argue about the studios artistic merits though. Kyoto Animation knows how to animate.
May 9, 2011 8:24 AM

Aug 2009
KrazyKobun said:
Nope. Kyoto Animation lacks diversity. Their shtick is getting really old... Can't argue about the studios artistic merits though. Kyoto Animation knows how to animate.

This exactly. Best studio is P.A. Works IMHO.
May 9, 2011 10:25 AM

Jun 2009
STM said:
KrazyKobun said:

This exactly. Best studio is P.A. Works IMHO.
Agreed. They like almost never dissapoint, and Hanasaku Iroha this season is so motherfucking good.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
May 9, 2011 5:28 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Anime studios are overrated imho.

Just because you produce a good title doesn't mean you ALWAYS produce good titles. Everyone makes mistakes. Even Blizzard Entertainment do, even after their decade worth of development for each game they produce. Then again, I have yet to encounter an animation studio that has the same dedication to anime as Blizzard has for games.

Sure, it's only better than original simply because it got animated. Many of the original works pretty much does average in the manga medium so of course you will feel it's "better" in anime. That doesn't say much about the actual content of the series. Take a very good manga series and see if you can make it better. I doubt it.

Plus, Nichijou is not for everyone, it takes at least a few episodes before you can get into it.....
wakka9caMay 9, 2011 5:31 PM
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
May 10, 2011 12:31 AM
Nov 2009
I think KyoAni COULD be the best if they were a bit more ambitious, but they haven't done anything really worthy of being called the best.
That being said, their animation, music and voicework is usually hard to fault, and they never end up worse than their adaptation material, which is definitely impressive.

Still, Gainax is definitely a better studio, JC staff has done a hell of a lot more, and even Shaft has shown off a broader and more diverse repertoire. KyoAni hasn't done anything really legendary, imo, they're just really good at making moe things for otaku to go crazy over.
May 10, 2011 1:54 AM

Jun 2008
theindievisual said:
Still, Gainax is definitely a better studio, JC staff has done a hell of a lot more, and even Shaft has shown off a broader and more diverse repertoire. KyoAni hasn't done anything really legendary, imo, they're just really good at making moe things for otaku to go crazy over.

Gainax????

You mean the studio that trolls it's viewers by giving the most ridiculous anime endings ever???

J.C Staff has produced many hits..... However it's also produced many BAD adaptations and below average animation on it's lesser projects.

Shaft has had many problems as well, they almost ruined Bakemonogatari, because they had budget problems, and they FUCKED UP on Negima....

Seriously, how do you screw up so badly on NEGIMA, how hard is it to open the manga and animate each chapter???

You guys are forgetting that it's not about quantity, it's about Quality.

Kyoani only does about 1 or 2 anime each year, and it's almost always a hit or has outstanding merits in animation, voice acting, music, and other important factors.

I also wanted to HIGHLIGHT the anime Kyoani has done, and how it reflects here on MAL:

2003: FMP Fumoffu (8.50 rating) (#47 on the Popularity list)

2005: Air (7.86 rating) (#50 on the Popularity list)

2005: FMP TSR (8.30 rating) (#67 on the Popularity list)

2006: Kanon (8.55 rating) (#79 on the Popularity list)

2006: Haruhi (8.44 rating) (#7 on the Popularity list)

2007: Clannad (8.60 rating) (#14 on the Popularity list)

2007: Lucky Star (8.28 rating) (#18 on the Popularity list)

2008: Clannad AS (9.10 rating) (#43 on the Popularity list)

2009: K-ON! (8.11 rating) (#28 on the Popularity list)

2010: K-ON! 2 (8.32 rating) (#121 on the Popularity list)

So as you can see, Kyoani has an amazing track record here on MAL, basically ALL of their anime is HIGHLY rated and VERY POPULAR, a powerful combination that is rarely seen.

Other studios have their big hits and great series too, however, I don't see ANY other anime studio that is this impressive.

BTW NO, I didn't put "Haruhi 2" because that's the only blemish that Kyoani has in it's resume, and besides that, we all know that about the Endless 8 nonsense and the trolling that Kyoani did to everyone, let's just pretend it never happened.
--ALEX--May 10, 2011 2:18 AM
May 10, 2011 7:26 AM

Jan 2009
KyoAni made K-ON, automatically disqualified for best studio ever.
Yes, I'm forcing my opinion, just like everyone else.

Oh and, I personally like Bones, but that's just me, I guess.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
May 10, 2011 7:32 AM

Aug 2009
OrochiPL said:
Agreed. They like almost never dissapoint, and Hanasaku Iroha this season is so motherfucking good.

Hanasaku Iroha is definitely P.A.'s best anime to date. My expectations were incredibly high and I wasn't disappointed. I love that anime.

alexcampos said:
<insert unnecessarily long post here>

Wow, do you really think MAL's scores are that reliable? High scores on MAL and a high popularity ranking does NOT make an anime good.
KyoAni is mostly a one-trick pony, they produce soppy dramas and slice-of-life comedies featuring cute teenage girls.
I'm not saying they're bad, I quite enjoy their shows. I'm just saying they're starting to get repetitive and they should leave their safe zone for once.

And Haruhi 2 wasn't that bad as everyone makes it out to be. Sigh Arc was absolutely splendid, but most "fans" were too butthurt to recognize its greatness.

Oosran said:

Y U LIKE BONES AFTER GOSICK
I-It's not like I'm forcing my opinion on you! B-Baka!
May 10, 2011 7:34 AM

Jan 2009
STM said:
Oosran said:

By pretending that it isn't Bones.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
May 10, 2011 7:35 AM

Aug 2009
Oosran said:
STM said:
Oosran said:

By pretending that it isn't Bones.

OU
May 10, 2011 7:35 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah but if you look at that its predominately all SoL, which im sure is can be animated much nicer for less budget since the lack of constant movement.

Also no mention of madhouse yet is kinda shitty.they have almost 2 1/2 pages of anime with a 8+ rating on MAL KyoAni doesnt even have a full page. that being said madhouse has also done some shit stuff(pretty sure they did ironman). so for that reason i don't think we should really label any studio as the BEST.
May 10, 2011 2:34 PM

Jun 2008
STM said:
Wow, do you really think MAL's scores are that reliable? High scores on MAL and a high popularity ranking does NOT make an anime good.

It doesn't make sense to make that argument....

Whether you like it or not, MAL is a good "SAMPLE SIZE" of the population of casual anime fans.

Think about polls in real life.....yeah they're not perfect.....they're a "SAMPLE" of the population.

But guess what, they are usually pretty accurate.

Popularity IS important, because it shows that your anime is watchable and re-watchable.

Even if an anime is "GOOD" if it's not popular then there's a problem.

For an anime studio to be GREAT, they need to excel on BOTH sides.....GREATNESS and POPULARITY.

Kyoani has done that.....very efficiently, and for you guys saying that Kyoani is a "one trick pony".....you're wrong.

FMP TSR (Shounen, Mecha)

Haruhi (Mystery, Shounen)

Clannad AS (Drama, Shoujo)

Lucky Star (Slice of Life, comedy, parody)

K-ON! (Comedy, Music)

It seems to me they've hit on most genres except ECCHI and we all know how much MAL HATES ECCHI anime.
--ALEX--May 10, 2011 2:37 PM
May 10, 2011 5:50 PM

Sep 2007
I like how there is zero mention of Munto.

You also have to factor in that the majority of KyoAni's works are adaptations of existing material that has already garnered a substantial following of their own prior. So I'll give KyoAni props for making sound marketing decisions in picking up popular works and making decent adaptations but I'd hardly call them "the best." Also, for the last several years, everything they've done after FMP (excluding Munto), has been pretty much catering to all the moe lovers.

KyoAni is successful because they play it safe. They grab a bunch of popular works that has a bunch of moe moe girls and animate it knowing that the otaku will eat it all up. I can bet that in the next five years, we'll see KyoAni possibly adapting another Key work full of big eyed moe girls and more K-ON.

"The best" studios IMO, needs to have the balls to make their own shit and make it succeed. Experiment with different styles and the like, not just animate what's already popular. Until they pull out some original material that can rival the likes of other recent highly praised original material like TTGL, Geass, KnK, etc., I won't be naming KyoAni as "the best studio ever."
WasabiMay 10, 2011 6:15 PM
May 11, 2011 11:56 AM
May 2009
Wasabi said:

KyoAni is successful because they play it safe. They grab a bunch of popular works that has a bunch of moe moe girls and animate it knowing that the otaku will eat it all up.

I'm sorry, but no. What they grab isn't always popular and good. K-On is a very good example. THEY made it big. Very big. Nichijou is another example. If this becomes big, it's because of them.

It's also known that KyoAni isn't good with original works, although I think they should give it another shot. They define a lot about their adaptions, so they should have enough experience to make their very own show.
May 11, 2011 1:15 PM

Jan 2008
K-ON! - Overrated, although not bad. Definately nothing amazing

Endless Eight - Self explanatory

Lucky Star - Utter shite.

Three examples of why KyoAni aren't the best studio. Yeah, their animation quality is high and they have made some impressive stuff like the first series of Haruhi and Disappearance, plus Clannad is definately worth the watch.

Also, pretty much everything they've done has a school setting. Nichijou, Lucky Star, Clannad, K-ON!, Haruhi, FMA, all of their major shows are in the same damn setting. Yes, KyoAni are a decent studio, but they aren't the best.

Frankly I'd put Gainax, SHAFT and Production I.G. above them, and potentially Bones as well. Hell, even with Madhouse's recent slew of terrible Marvel adaptations they've still brought way too many good things to the table to discredit them from being one of the best as well.

But hey, at least they aren't Studio DEEN.
May 11, 2011 7:31 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
lol people still don't get that the concept of "which studio is the best" is overrated...

Seasonreaper said:

Frankly I'd put Gainax, SHAFT and Production I.G. above them, and potentially Bones [...] even with Madhouse's recent slew of terrible Marvel adaptations they've still brought way too many good things to the table to discredit them from being one of the best as well.

You just named more than half of the major studios there. You just showed that each studio has their strengths and weaknesses. Some fare better than others, but that is in no way a guarantee on the quality of future productions (i.e. anyone can flop once in a while)
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
May 12, 2011 3:13 AM

Sep 2008
Certainly one of the top tier studios, the animation and direction in Nichijou alone make them deserving of praise, not to mention all their other top quality titles.

But for me to personally rank them as the best, they need to make another epic action show. FMP TSR was really awesome, but too short and incomplete (even if they DID properly tie up the seasons storyline).

In short; KyoAni need to make FMP TTR, at 26 episodes or more. Personally I think a lot of the staff has to be pretty pumped about doing action, considering how intense they make EVERYDAY SITUATIONS in Nichijou.

All we can do is hope.
May 12, 2011 3:42 AM

Nov 2008
alexcampos said:

But Madhouse has more anime in the top 100 than KyoAni.

But there's another studio/director combination that's every bit as well-received as the KyoAni/Ishihara combination (Kanon, Air, Clannad, Haruhi etc.) that you seem to love. Let's look at the anime made by combination now, shall we?

2007: Baccano! (8.75 rating) (#53 on the Popularity list)

2008: Natsume Yuujinchou (8.42 rating) (#204 on the Popularity list)

2009: Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou (8.69 rating) (#379 on the Popularity list)

2010: Durarara!! (8.68 rating) (#39 on the Popularity list)

2010: Kuragehime (8.42 rating) (#550 on the Popularity list)

That's the scores for all of the anime made by Brains Base with Omori Takahiro as director. The combination obviously isn't as popular (how many people know Brains Base as a studio, and not just the anime they make, anyway?) as the Kyoto Animation one, but it's a lot more consistent, with not a single anime made by them being rated below 8.40, while Air (since I'm only counting Ishihara-directed anime) had a measly score of 7.96. Admittedly, that was his first job as director (Takahiro was already highly experienced as a director when he joined Brains Base).

It is also worth noting that Tatsuya Ishihara worked under Omori Takahiro quite a bit back in their early days with Pierrot (of all studios) on anime like Fancy Lala and Aka-chan to Boku, so Ishihara would have probably learned a lot about directing anime from him as a result.

And for the record, some selected Brains Base titles which weren't directed by Omori Takahiro:

2005: Kamichu! (7.71 rating) (#684 on the Popularity list)

2008: Kure-nai (7.85 rating) (#347 on the Popularity list)

2009: Denpa Teki na Kanojo (8.18 rating) (#556 on the Popularity list) (derp)

2009: Spice and Wolf II (8.45 rating) (#159 on the Popularity list) (to be compared with TSR due to being a LN adaptation studio switch between the first and second season)
Rosa_FOEtidaMay 12, 2011 3:54 AM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
May 12, 2011 6:53 AM

Jul 2008
Bones.
May 15, 2011 6:34 AM

Jul 2009
In terms of actual animation, I don't think there should be any doubt in Kyoto Animations position. They're easily the best. They can do everything and they can do it well.

That doesn't mean that the shows that they animate are the best though. K-On!, while good, does not have enough substance to be called one of the best. The animation stands out in the show. Nichijou is the same, while it is one of the best comedy anime I've seen personally, it isn't one of the best anime ever.

However, they have proven that they can do amazing work. Clannad + Clannad ~AS~ follow Kyoto Animations usual cuter style, but have a ton of substance and emotion. Clannad ~After Story~ is generally seen as one of the best anime ever created by a large amount of people, so that puts things into perspective.

They have also proven they stand firm on action ground. Full Metal Panic TSR, parts of Air and even the parts of Haruhi that were action-oriented are very well handled.

However, in terms of actual animation quality, this goes to Kyoto Animation for sure. They animate everything perfectly. The standards are very high too, all of their shows generally do well and they are vital to anime as entertainment.
PsychodrakeMay 15, 2011 6:45 AM
May 15, 2011 8:23 AM

Jul 2010
SHAFT is best. Kyoto Animation is second.
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Aug 26, 2011 2:42 PM
Aug 2011
Kyoto is good but it's not the best ever. The best ever would be Production I.G and Gainax. They share the title coz they made FLCL together. Next would be Sunrise which is responsible for Gundam and better yet, Cowboy Bebop. Then comes Madhouse coz they adapted Death Note.
Aug 26, 2011 2:45 PM

Mar 2011
Hell yeah! But I <3 love Madhouse......and Bones......and P.A. works.
I like anything besides Deen.
Aug 26, 2011 2:49 PM
Mar 2011
best based on consistancy if quilty is nippon
b ut best over alll iis Toei Douga[ thats Toei Pre 98] too many to name that are classics
then Sunrise Gundam Ideon Dunbine
Gainax Top wo Nare and Eva

but in animation qutity kyo ani is even lower thre shows in large part are to Moe fo me Bones and Gonzo my issues are more hard to explain there up there Eyes i debt cause of bad bisnues choices

the art syle is the same issue i have with Key to moe
DateYutakaAug 26, 2011 2:56 PM
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 26, 2011 3:41 PM
Jul 2018
Are you sure these series are unknown?

I mean, just because we in the West don't know much about them doesn't mean they're not popular in Japan.

Anyway, Kyoto is good and all, but Gainax is the best studio around.
Aug 26, 2011 3:48 PM
Mar 2011
AnnoKano said:
Are you sure these series are unknown?

I mean, just because we in the West don't know much about them doesn't mean they're not popular in Japan.

Anyway, Kyoto is good and all, but Gainax is the best studio around.

what is that in realtion t0o

and side note im japanese so
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Aug 26, 2011 3:50 PM

Feb 2011
I'll give you that KyoAni is probably the animation studio with the most consistent quality. If something is from KyoAni you can pretty much guarantee that it'll be at least pretty good. I can't say the same for any other studio. However, I wouldn't call them the best. Their material lacks true variety which shows an unwillingness to take risks.
Aug 26, 2011 4:08 PM
Jul 2018
Hongo-Takeshi said:

what is that in realtion t0o

Gainax's status as the best animation studio was officially certified by the 'Anime Rating Council' that had a vote on the issue of 'Best Animation Studio' and Gainax were declared the winners, with a 13 vote majority over the runner-up, Studio Deen (Alleged to have bribed several of the comittee members).

I'm sorry, but it's not my decision to make. Personally I wanted Xebecs to win, but if Gainax were declared the winners of the vote, then I'm afraid I have to accept their judgement.

Hongo-Takeshi said:
and side note im japanese so

Yeah... so?
Aug 26, 2011 4:17 PM
Mar 2011
Nippon have not realy made anything ion 15 Yaers or so saying that thay would not have entern this poll thing

Toei shoud not have eeterd casue there muitil media so are Key

what protues do toei have witch are airing nowadays mack when i ws young Toei would have at lest 5 new anime a season

and also ilove Gainax so there

Aug 29, 2011 6:13 PM

Jul 2010
Kyoto has done a lot of great anime and it is one of my favorite anime studio. Other than Bones, Sunrise, Shaft, Toei, and Gainax.
Personally, I love Deen as well, but their animation alone is not the greatest, only their artwork on it.. It's just that most of my favorite anime are produced from Studio Deen. (ex: Fruits Basket, Hakuouki, Vampire Knight, Junjou Romantica)
Aug 30, 2011 11:12 AM

Nov 2007
Nope. Their animation is amazing, I'm not going to deny that, but half of their series (K-ON, Clannad, Air, Kanon, and of course Haruhi's E8) is mediocre at best. Brains Base ftw.
Aug 30, 2011 11:21 AM
Aug 2011
i think BONES is the best since they pretty much make only OVA serises with a couple of exceptions, plus they really are just amazing animators
Aug 30, 2011 7:28 PM
Jul 2018
OsamaMyLlama said:
i think BONES is the best since they pretty much make only OVA serises with a couple of exceptions, plus they really are just amazing animators

I lol'd.
Sep 4, 2011 7:56 AM

Feb 2008
personally, i don't have any "best studio" preference... i don't usually look at the studio when picking up a show, anyway..

well, if we're talking about how good a studio adapts a source material, i can't tell who does well, as i rarely read manga/LN anyway.. though i'm pretty sure JC Staff sucks at this one..

for animation quality meanwhile, a lot of studios are good... though i'd say Bones has so far the best i've seen...

anyway, since we're in a thread supposedly related to Nichijou, i'd say KyoAni did quite a good job here... i'm enjoying the show, and i guess that's what really matters...
Sep 4, 2011 12:06 PM
Jul 2011
hard to define best but for those bashing kyoani, i think people have just gone beyond just enjoying anime. i for one definitely enjoyed k-on(both seasons) and i dont really care anymore even if it wasn't mind blowingly amazing in plot etc. etc. i even dropped it cuz my friends were bashing it while it was airing and when i went back and watched it i thoroughly enjoyed it so i think in terms of the studio doing a great job yes its done well but you can't really be the BEST studio because there are too many great works that aren't done by kyoani

although hands down haruhi movie was fkin amazing for an anime movie that wasnt action based
ilawlatnoobsSep 4, 2011 12:10 PM
Sep 4, 2011 12:58 PM

May 2010
KyoAni is definitely a studio company worth praising for. Yeah they made K-ON! and Haruhi, which has a lot of haters, but they are successful franchises. Besides these shows, KyoAni has made great anime that everyone enjoys. Kanon, Clannad, and Air for those who are into romance/drama animes. Full Metal Panic for all the action types. And the rest for comedy (Lucky Star, Nichijou) I believe everyone has a show from KyoAni that they like and its based on that note that KyoAni has been successful.

Also this is coming from a guy who watches most of their works. And I have to say all of them are really good. Everytime I watch one of their shows, it just gets me interested. Iono how they do it, but they have the chemistry to make shows that appeal to me.

I mean there are other animation companies out there that I respect (A-1 pictures for right now because of AnoHana) but I think when it comes to success, KyoAni takes the cake. They have made such great works in anime and I don't think they will have a miss for quite a while.

Sep 5, 2011 10:06 PM
Aug 2011
Eh... they're a good studio, but not the best. Really, the answer to which studio is best should be obvious... it's Ghibli. Hands down.

KyoAni is a relatively newer studio, which is why it's got so many highly ranked stuff consistently. After they've been around awhile and have made some mediocre shows, opinions will be different. If they really do pull through, then great. Also, KyoAni has made something awful in the state of Denmark and it's called Haruhi season two. But that's about it.

So, the first Kyo ani series, Full Metal Panic first aired in 2003... that makes 8 years of (other than Haruhi 2) consistency.

Now look at Gainax. Wings of Honneamise was made in 1987. They didn't really jump the shark until Kare Kano in 1998 (and even that show is considered great by some)... you could go on saying they were consistent until after FLCL in 2000... that's roughly 11-13 years.

I would also say that Madhouse is better than KyoAni, but they've made so much that they could have snuck in a bunch of crappy series in without me noticing.

Bones is a good studio, but they aren't consistent. Darker than Black was good... but nothing really that special. Gosick, Jyu-Oh-Sei, Mars Daybreak were all mediocre.

Anyway,the only incredibly consistent, long running studio is Ghibli... 36 years and going strong. Once KyoAni has surpassed that, THEN you can call it the greatest studio of all time.
Sep 6, 2011 4:48 AM
Jul 2018
InfinityPal said:
Eh... they're a good studio, but not the best. Really, the answer to which studio is best should be obvious... it's Ghibli. Hands down.

It's really not though.

InfinityPal said:
KyoAni is a relatively newer studio, which is why it's got so many highly ranked stuff consistently. After they've been around awhile and have made some mediocre shows, opinions will be different. If they really do pull through, then great. Also, KyoAni has made something awful in the state of Denmark and it's called Haruhi season two. But that's about it.

So, the first Kyo ani series, Full Metal Panic first aired in 2003... that makes 8 years of (other than Haruhi 2) consistency.

Full Metal Panic was made by Gonzo, not Kyoto Animation. Fumofuu and Second Raid were though.

InfinityPal said:
Now look at Gainax. Wings of Honneamise was made in 1987. They didn't really jump the shark until Kare Kano in 1998 (and even that show is considered great by some)... you could go on saying they were consistent until after FLCL in 2000... that's roughly 11-13 years.

Debutante Detective Corps was a load of shit and that was made in 1996; Kare Kano is one of the best romance series ever -and I'm not the only person who thinks that.

InfinityPal said:
I would also say that Madhouse is better than KyoAni, but they've made so much that they could have snuck in a bunch of crappy series in without me noticing.

All their superhero adaptions have been widely panned lately.

InfinityPal said:
Bones is a good studio, but they aren't consistent. Darker than Black was good... but nothing really that special. Gosick, Jyu-Oh-Sei, Mars Daybreak were all mediocre.

I have heard DTB was bad before, but I haven't watched any of those except for a few episodes of Jyu-Oh-Sei and it was awful.

InfinityPal said:
Anyway,the only incredibly consistent, long running studio is Ghibli... 36 years and going strong. Once KyoAni has surpassed that, THEN you can call it the greatest studio of all time.

I don't think Ghibli is all that great/ Sure, they've made a few masterpieces and I wouldn't say they are a 'bad' studio by any means, but it's not as if they have the midas touch either.

They have a tendency to recycle deas, characters, themes etc. For example, almost every leading character is a strong independent female. While it's clear they are trying to make a point with this, they don't show much variation between these characters. They feel almost identical to one another.

Then there's their treatment of Environmentalism, which is normally rather heavy handed and one-sided. I site Princess Mononoke as a prime example of this- the industrialisation of the town is characterised as evil without their side of the story ever being exposed.

I am not an expert on the Ghibli movies, and I have yet to see many of them. I think you could argue that they are the best studio, but I don't think they are as clear-cut winners as others seem to suggest.
Sep 6, 2011 5:27 AM
Mar 2011
id say Toei and Npppon are the most Prolific studois Toei douga [ in 19989 thay changed there name to Toei animatiom] has pordued anime all good for colse to Fifty Years and most of there stuff from say late sixtes to say 03 thay poduced at lest one big anime per Season the greastest sci fi tv anime ever made GE 999 was/ is toei produced almost all stuff ported over to the uS is a toei impretint from DB or Seiya to Maison[ the best romance anime ever made].
Nippon has been doing the same for as long hell they even own the majotey of sunrise from 82 to 95 so most of sunrises anime animage awards could be partly be called nippons

plus with out sunrize there would have not benn an eva any way Eoe is anno paying homage to tomino anyway

i like takahata more than miyazaki his works are far better than miyazaki cuse there not so simbolical driven the only miyzaki waork im putt above any takahata work is Totoro

Sep 6, 2011 9:26 PM
Aug 2011
AnnoKano said:

Debutante Detective Corps was a load of shit and that was made in 1996; Kare Kano is one of the best romance series ever -and I'm not the only person who thinks that.

I've not seen Debutante Detective Corps, so I have no opinion on that. I didn't even know it existed. I haven't seen Kare Kano either, but what I meant was that opinion is divided as to whether it was a great series overall, or if the last few episodes ruined it. Anyway, even though I don't think Gainax is the best studio, they're still my favorite.

AnnoKano said:
I have heard DTB was bad before, but I haven't watched any of those except for a few episodes of Jyu-Oh-Sei and it was awful.

I could see where someone could think either of those series are awful. It's really a matter of taste.

AnnoKano said:

I don't think Ghibli is all that great/ Sure, they've made a few masterpieces and I wouldn't say they are a 'bad' studio by any means, but it's not as if they have the midas touch either.

They have a tendency to recycle deas, characters, themes etc. For example, almost every leading character is a strong independent female. While it's clear they are trying to make a point with this, they don't show much variation between these characters. They feel almost identical to one another.

Then there's their treatment of Environmentalism, which is normally rather heavy handed and one-sided. I site Princess Mononoke as a prime example of this- the industrialisation of the town is characterised as evil without their side of the story ever being exposed.

I am not an expert on the Ghibli movies, and I have yet to see many of them. I think you could argue that they are the best studio, but I don't think they are as clear-cut winners as others seem to suggest.

Why fix what isn't broken? Many of Miyazaki's films could be considered heavy handed and use similar elements and themes.... but not all of them. Porco Rosso, Spirited Away, and Ponyo differentiate from his norm. Takahata's are all really dissimilar Grave of the Fireflies, Yamadas and Pom Poko are all vastly different and still great. My favorite Ghibli film, Whisper of the Heart, really isn't that similar to the qualities you mentioned other than having a strong female lead. The one thing I feel separates Ghibli from most every other studio is that they appeal to every age. That in and of itself qualifies them for greatness.

But, it really all boils down to personal opinion.
Sep 9, 2011 5:12 AM

Jan 2007
No, there are many other studios I prefer over Kyoto Animation. Most of the anime they make just don't appeal to me, that does not mean they are a bad studio, I haven't watched enough of the anime they produced to come to a conclusion like that. Studios I prefer: Madhouse, Production IG, Bones.

btw love the guys who say that every studio has made some bad anime too like they just discovered the ultimate truth or something, saying this about studios is like saying that if it rains and you go outside you will get wet.
Sep 9, 2011 8:13 PM

Jan 2011
alexcampos said:

Of course with the exemption of ENDLESS FUCKING EIGHT....may you rot in hell!!!!!

You're a butthurt when you talk about Endless Eight. And yes, I'm a troll.
There is like 2 weeks delay in my recent reading list
I randomly bought discount/second hand manga with cute/mysterious cover.

Use Personal Blacklist extension in Chrome if you just want to Google for a series synopsis, without google slapping MAL score in it.
3/1
Sep 10, 2011 7:38 AM

Sep 2008
I still find that Idea Factory are the best.

Followed by KyoAni, GAINAX and Bones.
Sep 11, 2011 10:33 PM

Jan 2010
I really love KyoAni works! that's it!
Feb 10, 2013 10:04 AM

Feb 2012
I think the best is Sunrise, responsible for Gundam, Planetes, Outlaw Star, GaoGaiGar and Cowboy Bebop, the creators of the latter would later form their own studio called Bones, which comes second, creators of both FMA and FMA: Brotherhood and RahXephon. Afterwards comes Kyoto, my favourite anime from that studio is FMP: Fumoffu.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 21, 2014 7:56 AM

Apr 2009
KyoAni is my Favorite. But I think Madhouse is consistent and better.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nichijou Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

shuncchi - Apr 23, 2011

152 by Barrybee1234 »»
Apr 7, 9:29 PM

Poll: » Nichijou Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Sep 24, 2011

257 by BeastlyFalcon »»
Apr 5, 5:11 AM

Poll: » Nichijou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

stevewiess01 - Apr 9, 2011

197 by LoboDoido08 »»
Apr 1, 12:50 PM

Poll: » Nichijou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kuro4735 - Apr 2, 2011

285 by LoboDoido08 »»
Apr 1, 12:12 PM

Poll: » Nichijou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

stevewiess01 - Jun 25, 2011

131 by NintendoGirl85 »»
Mar 29, 10:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.