Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 2011 8:18 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I thought I'd finally found a Tenchi series with an actual ending : (

Why didn't he simply say that he'd be happy to help (or discuss helping) after the wedding? they'd waited this long I doubt an hour or two would kill them, and its not like him getting married to those four would stop him from getting married again in this series.

also, why didn't he bring the robot? it could probably have merged with Kiriko's ship too and having 3 ships at your disposal is bound to come in handy even if you don't need that much power in a single ship. Not to mention the fact that the tree is probably pretty lonely after being left alone for so long and would probably like to spend some time getting to know its new partner.
Jun 29, 2011 2:03 PM
Dec 2010
hehe , instead of usual pick one Girl , they made him pick all of them and even double their nummbers...
Quite enjoyable season

Sent with Mal Updater
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Jul 5, 2011 12:14 PM

Oct 2010
jajajaja so he ends up with a True Harem ending with 8 girls... awesome.
Nice comedy/harem, story wise is not the strongest from the Tenchi series but still handle it self pretty well.

7/10 - Comedy was good and often so I can say I enjoy watching this. Sadly the story was rather weak and they brought Taranta back from the dead one too many times.

The Robot things was pretty random at the end, It was just an excuse to elaborate on the marriage things and the Jurai Royal family.
huh?
Mar 14, 2013 2:32 AM

Jul 2012
This was actually a pretty fun series to watch being a fan of the Tenchi stories as a goofy comedy with all of the references!
Dec 1, 2013 2:03 PM

Apr 2013
This was the first series i watched in the Tenchi Universe, unless you count Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari, and i liked it quite a bit. The story was good enough to keep me watching, and i loved the comedy. I lol'd many a time. I was also pleased that MC wound up with a harem in the end, much like Tenchi himself it seems. Was surprised though he ended up with 8 instead of just 4. And Tarrant's reappearance was a surprise. How much damage can that poor guy take? Every time he shows up, he's more and more damaged.
Sep 3, 2014 12:25 AM
Dec 2012
This was the first time I watched anything about The Tenchi Muyo series and I really enjoyed it. It was really hilarious and brought me joy. also I want to travel to space and kill a whole a bunch pirates and marry 8 women xD. all in all it was a good watch :D
Dec 31, 2014 3:53 AM

Sep 2014
26. Oh my god. The lewdest tenchi ending ever.

Just. Just wow. If that was part of Kajishima's original plan, then wow.

Funniest ending ever.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Jun 15, 2015 4:52 PM
Sep 2010
This story was great I do hope they continue it.
Mar 4, 2019 8:26 PM

Mar 2016
So, the harem-end wedding is interrupted by the anti-harem, who kidnaps the MC and rapes him in front of everyone.

Then we get the true ending, all of the girls in both the harem and anti-harem have come together, now completely indistinguishable from one another, in true 'happiness.' One soul for one man.

I didn't hate this, but I don't think there's any justification for great girls, in theory, like Amane and Kiriko to become lifeless blobs all for the sake of the MC. Harems love sucking the life out of the female characters by the end, I guess.

I liked the gag with his dad and the newspaper. Some episodes had some great laughs, some not so much.
syncrogazerMar 4, 2019 9:24 PM
Dec 21, 2019 2:33 PM

Nov 2017
Dude, you are f@cked up!!!!! 1 woman is enough to ruin your whole life and now you have like what: 8. You really are unlucky!!!! Hahahahh!!!!! Started strong but after half of the season became really dull... 6/10 from me.
Dec 21, 2019 10:37 PM

Aug 2015
this ending was pretty alright. It was in line with the the rest of the show.
Blue-haired muscle lady pirate was best girl

I can only assume Jurai follows salic law and prohibits female inheritance, or else Yoshoi and Seina would be much further down the inheritance line. that's probably the only reason Seto isn't Empress.

What makes the mediocrityof this anime disappointing is that the logic behind the GP and economics is actually pretty smart, since it draws from actual reality of the early modern global market/Golden Age of Piracy (ca. 1650-1720s) in which nation-states were unable to secure trade routes against pirates.
Airi mentions that the GP's main income comes from enforcement of tariffs/customs duties and the actions of pirates are bankrupting insurance and shipping companies, similar also to the US Wild West, threatening the ability of "civilization" to spread to frontier sectors. Except, it makes no sense for officers to be trained in law enforcement to be doing the job of a UPS worker.

This anime suffers from the Tristram Shandy effect where it is just detailed enough to provoke interest but doesn't bother to follow up on its world building.
Like, what's the structure of the galactic government? Is it an empire or more like a United Nations model? What's the relationship between the Juraian navy to the GP?

For example Ep 20 tells us Kiriko will be getting her own royal tree, but instead of a tree ceremony, we get a lot generic harem nonsense.

The last few episodes dealing with Shank are a pretty good example of how not to write
Seina resigned his captain's commisssion. Okay, but why, why would he do that?
Suddenly the Galaxy Army is the enemy, and organization which was never mentioned or seen up to this point. Why is Ryoko switching between her real appearance and her fursona when it serves no discernible purpose?
If even two of the pointless fan service scenes shoehorned into a given episode were instead a map of the galactic union or a piece of world building lore, this wouldn't feel so insulting to the viewer- "Like, what, are you dumb enough to watch a Tenchi anime for the story??"

pros: strong straight shota energy; the older women characters (Seto, Mikami, Airi) are amazing, eg.the power moves they are making by manipulating the main cast to achieve their objectives
cons: bad writing, bad fanservice, sometimes ugly artwork, asspulls
more weaponized luck than Escaflowne

Apr 23, 2020 8:15 PM

Oct 2010
An episode thoroughly packed out with simplistic random discordant bullshit makes a fitting finale to this series as a whole. Seina displays his remarkable stupidity one more time with his notion that his flagrantly thirsty fiancees wouldn't want to marry him.

Rewatched because the current Tenchi Muyo OVA 5 is a sequel to this. In its first episode Kiriko is thinking about starting a family with Seina, and the other wives are coming in the second episode, which should come out on Crunchyroll June 5, assuming it isn't delayed by the quarantine.

Adult human-form Fuku: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-03-02/5th-tenchi-muyo-ova-season-adds-4-cast-members/.157016

I've raised my rating on GXP to 9/10, there's only a bare handful of anime than gave me as much fun as this one. First half had some rough patches, especially while Seina was living in the dorm, but it really takes off in the second half once the crew is together on the ship.

I'm glad I impulse-bought the DVD set when Funimation allowed their streaming license to expire a year ago, I assume due to the show being unpopular and unprofitable. What I just watched was a torrented version though. More convenient. :P

nDroae said:
I find myself falling into a cycle:

1) Through the 2000's I assumed GXP was a poor attempt at recreating Tenchi Muyo (later I found out that's also its general reputation)

2) I watched it ten years ago and it was much better than I was expecting

3) Recently: maybe I just had worse taste at the time?

4) No, my taste isn't better now. I love this show.

It's (even) more vapid and pandering than Tenchi has ever been. And I seem to favor characters who draw criticism for having very little personality, whatever that says about me. I think this might be my favorite harem cast of all time. I've finally realized that Kiriko is the actual replacement for Kiyone in the OVA timeline, and I look forward to seeing more of her and the others years later in Tenchi Muyo OVA 5.

The last couple of weeks I've been in the rare state where at all times in all conditions there is one show I want to watch, and it's GXP.

I guess my favorite harem cast is still Clannad, but this is my favorite absurdly thirsty harem cast for sure.

P.S.
nDroae said:
SOMEHOW WHEN I WAS 22 I DID *NOT* NOTICE WHAT AN AMAZING MILF SETO WAS, BUT NOW I AM OLD AND WISE

And now we've got Kikuko Inoue cast as Seto's ????? Quis Panta in OVA 5, what a time to be alive.
Dec 10, 2020 11:38 AM
Aug 2020
As an Excel Saga fan, I can kinda appreciate what Nabeshin did with Kajishima's expansive outline. But Seina is much more of a wuss than he needs to be. That was probably the main reason Kajishima spent 13 years rewriting it (and 3 more continuing it, so far), and after 13 years you better believe that's the version he'd use for the Ryo-Ohki series. Other than the new characters, the mature, confident (if still a bit whipped) Seina also has to confuse people who have only watched the anime.
Jan 27, 2022 6:23 AM
Jan 2011
Any info or source to what Kai said about a ceremony and everything (including lil sis is madly in love with him)?
May 22, 2022 7:20 AM

Feb 2019
It is funny how the cg used in this 2002 series appears to be so much better than what is used in modern day shows. How is that possibly when this show is 20 years old?
The line below is True.
The line above is False.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tenchi Muyo! GXP Episode 1 Discussion

jacobpaige - May 7, 2011

11 by security_desu »»
Aug 24, 2022 12:05 PM

Poll: » Tenchi Muyo! GXP Episode 17 Discussion

jacobpaige - May 8, 2011

3 by TheKing528 »»
Sep 17, 2021 4:24 PM

Poll: » Tenchi Muyo! GXP Episode 14 Discussion

jacobpaige - May 8, 2011

4 by glassknuckles »»
Dec 6, 2019 2:22 PM

Poll: » Tenchi Muyo! GXP Episode 13 Discussion

Fallenkingzero - Apr 21, 2013

2 by glassknuckles »»
Dec 6, 2019 2:20 PM

Poll: » Tenchi Muyo! GXP Episode 12 Discussion

jacobpaige - May 2, 2012

4 by glassknuckles »»
Dec 6, 2019 2:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.