Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 8, 2011 1:21 AM

Aug 2009
Chizuru is an Oni. How come she never uses her potential?! Every single Oni in the show is presented as having incredible strength/skills- even the ones who don't fight (princess girl and her servant, from season 1) are able to "disappear" (leap back super fast). All we see is Chizuru rejuvenating. When someone is about to come down on her with a sword she shuts her eyes waiting for it to happen (more prevalent in season 1).

Don't get me wrong, she's got a pure heart and morally helps the other characters etc.; I just kept waiting for her to "unleash" some mad skills, but no such luck :(
May 13, 2011 3:52 AM
Jan 2011
Chizuru was completely useless throughout the entire series. It doesn't matter if she could use special Oni powers; it still wouldn't change the fact that all she was good for was making tea.
May 14, 2011 7:37 PM

Oct 2008
I wish there is a dislike button for the characters, not only fav button x3
May 23, 2011 1:50 PM
Jul 2009
I also kept expecting that Chizuru would display some amazing power. Nevertheless, it was a refreshing change as other animes would do the same thing. I guess if she was meant to have great powers, it would have began manifesting from the start of the anime. I feel her biggest role was to simply support the Shinsengumi, particularly Hijikata, as a pillar of quiet strength.
May 23, 2011 2:00 PM
May 2009
I am actually glad she didn't but then again none of the other female oni showed any powers.
Sep 12, 2013 5:19 PM

Jul 2011
Well as you would know any other oni were raised as oni, strengthening their powers as they grew up. She grew up, raised as a human. She couldn't just start disappearing out of free will.

AND
anjel said:
I also kept expecting that Chizuru would display some amazing power. Nevertheless, it was a refreshing change as other animes would do the same thing. I guess if she was meant to have great powers, it would have began manifesting from the start of the anime. I feel her biggest role was to simply support the Shinsengumi, particularly Hijikata, as a pillar of quiet strength.

this pretty much.

Although I too, wished for her to unleash her powers, at least go crazy when hijikata died at the end, but then again, it was the end, so really, nothing else was expected.

They also threw away that part of the story in this second season. It was all about her being an oni in the first season, but this second season was all about the shinsengumi dispersing and pretty much disintegrating...and well all that war stuff...

In the end, it was dissatisfying how they kept changing the plot...6 for me.
Nov 18, 2016 10:32 PM
Jan 2015
Shikijo said:
Chizuru was completely useless throughout the entire series. It doesn't matter if she could use special Oni powers; it still wouldn't change the fact that all she was good for was making tea.

Wrong! Very wrong.
Jan 28, 2017 1:07 PM
Jan 2017
Ok- I completely love this anime- although it makes me cry every time-
However- please-PLEASE someone tell me that the end of the second season
Wasn't just Hijikatas death??!!and at the end- she does use her powers to see the banner of truth- also- he wiped her tears off after he died- I'm DYING to know!!!
Apr 19, 2017 6:37 PM
Jan 2015
Shikijo said:

( Changing my reply) You clearly never played the game. Yes, in a sense, Chizuru is useless. She’s useless because it’s fucking realistic. A female character’s worth/strength isn’t measured by whether or not she fights with a weapon. Think about it,she has been raised human her entire life,SHE DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO PROPERLY USE HER POWERS.
Apr 26, 2018 10:00 AM
Apr 2018
I f*cking agree so much and I firmly agree to the existence of this forum.

Chizuru has been nothing more than a burden, and it was really hard for me to continue watching this anime without being triggered at least once by her sole existence in the anime.

But I'm still planning on watching this through the end, and only because I'm interested in how the storyline would progress. It's definitely not to continue watching her being a burden to the rest, and as you said, closing her eyes and waiting to die instead of using her bloody oni or sword powers.

Such ridiculousness >:(
Apr 26, 2018 10:05 AM
Apr 2018
MoonXArtemis said:
Well as you would know any other oni were raised as oni, strengthening their powers as they grew up. She grew up, raised as a human. She couldn't just start disappearing out of free will.

AND
anjel said:

this pretty much.

Although I too, wished for her to unleash her powers, at least go crazy when hijikata died at the end, but then again, it was the end, so really, nothing else was expected.

They also threw away that part of the story in this second season. It was all about her being an oni in the first season, but this second season was all about the shinsengumi dispersing and pretty much disintegrating...and well all that war stuff...

In the end, it was dissatisfying how they kept changing the plot...6 for me.

Lmao I like how it's 2018 and I'm replying to a 2011 post, but seeing this forum, it seems to me that many side with Chizuru in the sense y'all don't really have much complaints to her character because it's a natural part of the plot of Hakuouki.

I hate to bring myself to agree, especially because I can't understand how she's been nothing good except for serving tea, but it's alright. We're all entitled to our own perceptions, and to me, Chizuru was completely useless. Worthless. Horrible. Jk.

And I really agreed on how season 2 has been nothing short of disintegrating the Shinsengumi and breaking them apart. It has been really heartbreaking watching it, but I feel that their hearts still stayed as one although they all went different paths... and died in the end.

Beautiful anime anyways. It has inculcated some values to me to some extent, and taught me a lot about staying true to what we believe in. And well - perhaps it has also taught me to identify who are intellectuals - and it's surely people who are NOT Chizuru. She's dense, naive, and it irks me.

Though her purity and wholesomeness ain't that bad in a character. Haha
Oct 21, 2019 8:57 PM
Oct 2019
Ok don't get me wrong I liked the anime but seriously Chizuru get some backbone! There were to many scenes where she could've beena badass and just be strat up a god but nope. Also if she knew/figured out how to be in her devill form she would have dominated so many people and all the best characters would still be alive!
Aug 22, 2021 10:03 AM
Aug 2021
I wanted her to do some mad skills too, but yeah its 2021 and I'm expecting too much I guess. ALSO, I just finished the anime and I am screaming. I didnt finish the game cuz I got bored and when I watched the anime, I thought it was significantly well paced compared to the game. I NEED CLOSURE. I didn't know they would all die ALL I WANTED WAS TO WATCH A WHOLESOME ROMANCE CUZ IM SAD OK. I DIDNT WATCH IT TO BE ATTACKED.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hakuouki Hekketsuroku Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Dec 5, 2010

160 by Zekkenshin »»
Aug 18, 2023 5:01 AM

Poll: » Hakuouki Hekketsuroku Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 14, 2010

61 by justduckyxx »»
May 27, 2018 10:18 AM

Poll: » Hakuouki Hekketsuroku Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 21, 2010

56 by SenChen »»
Sep 22, 2017 2:30 PM

Poll: » Hakuouki Hekketsuroku Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 3, 2010

100 by MelMelMel »»
May 11, 2017 11:33 PM

Poll: » Hakuouki Hekketsuroku Episode 9 Discussion

tsubasalover - Nov 28, 2010

49 by Zahra-chan »»
Jun 2, 2016 11:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.