Forum Settings
Forums

Subtitled/Subbed or English Dubbed anime (aka Subs vs. Dubs v2)

New
Pages (176) « First ... « 173 174 [175] 176 »
Oct 24, 2017 7:21 PM
Jul 2018
Dubs can actually make an anime watchable.
Hajimete no Gal is shit.
The English dub turns it into a meme-generating anime. Though, not quite on the level of Ghost Stories
Oct 24, 2017 8:09 PM

Apr 2017
How are they spoiled because you used to have to pay for dubs
when they don't even watch dubs...
Oct 24, 2017 8:15 PM
Mar 2011
every one senes ito ingore my aregument of that the one that as the better translations is better that is the view i have alway held
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 24, 2017 8:23 PM
Jun 2016
REMOVE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT remove federal government
you are worst government. you are the federal idiot you are the federal smell. return to jaburo. to our lunar cousins you may come to our country. you may live in the zoo...ahahahaha ,revil we will never forgive you. federal rascal FUck but fuck asshole federal stink seig zeon...colony drop best day of my life. take a bath of dead australian..ahahahahahJABURO WE WILL GET YOU!! do not forget BATTLE OF LOUM .Federation we kill revil , federal return to your precious jaburo….hahahahaha idiot federal and earthnoid smell so bad..wow i can smell it. REMOVE FEDERAL FROM THE PREMISES. you will get caught. Side 3+Van Braun+G3+Colony Drop=kill federation...char alive in zeon, char making newtype of zeon . fast newtype char zeon. we are rich and have luna titanium now hahahaha ha because of char... you are poor stink federal… you live in gravity hahahaha, you live on a rock

char alive numbr one #1 in zeon... fuck side 6...FUCKasshol federals no good i spit in the mouth eye of ur flag and earth. char aliv and real strong newtype kill all the federal farm aminal with newtype magic now we the spacenoid rule .ape of the zoo general revil fukc the great satan and lay egg this egg hatch and white devil wa;s born. stupid baby form the eggn give bak our sides we will crush u lik a armor of gm light type . zeon greatest countey
'ate gundam
Oct 24, 2017 8:44 PM
Jul 2018
DateYutaka said:
every one senes ito ingore my aregument of that the one that as the better translations is better that is the view i have alway held

i didn't ignore it, but i'm not going to argue it either.

of course people are correct that a lot of what i said was bait, that should be obvious.. dur hur. look at all the great responses. They took the bait, ate it up, and act like idiots, just as it was planned. so, really, that doesn't mean there isn't any truth to what i said either.
Oct 24, 2017 11:30 PM
Aug 2017
jarring said:
i watch a lot of both. probably more subs when it comes to new anime of course...
but if an anime has a dub, I'm watching it dubbed. No matter how bad it is.

i honestly think the people complaining about dubs these days are obnoxious and ungrateful punks.

back in the day, you actually had to pay extra for dubs, and that was when dubs actually WERE bad for the most part. But it didn't matter, it was anime.

Kids these days are spoiled rotten idiots.

I am one of the people that started anime with dubs and then switch to subs entirely. I watched Ghost in the shell, Samurai 7, Ran the samurai girl , DBZ, etc. with dubs but when rewatch them in subs, it bring an entirely new experience for me.
I don't like dubs since my first language is not English anyway but I won't even watch the dub in my own language. I prefer to watch everything in it original language since the dialogue fit better with the animation, the emotion is also better and more natural. With subs, I can watch more anime and don't have to wait.
There are plenty of cartoon and American movies that were dubs in Japanese but I don't watch them. There is no way I am gonna watch Scooby Doo in Japanese even if one of the VA in there is my most favorite VA. With comedy like Gintama, dubs cannot bring out the jokes very well and then turn to the solution of changing lines which in turn, kill the essence of the anime. Like the "Gintama, Kintama" joke that only make sense in Japanese.

By the way, "dubs > subs" is a bait-worthy title. Everyone can watch dub or sub, whatever they like but to me "original > dubs"
Oct 25, 2017 12:07 AM

Mar 2017
rsc-pl said:
jarring said:
The problem is the people who constantly talk shit on dubs.

Nope. Dubfags are the problem. No one is telling you to stop watching dubs, but you just need to accept the fact that dubs are made for less inteligent people/kids/stereotypical average Americans. Like seriously.

>dumbed down, highly alternated, often SJWed translations
>censorship
>a lot of localization which in most cases changes whole characters and their personalities
>Shitty VAs who can't even pronounce names, not mentioning about other things
>emotionless voice acting
>full culture washout

In the end, you are basically watching a totally different series. And as I said. Of course, you can take a low-tier way to watch anime, but don't try to convince anyone that dubs are better (or even close to original or subs).

You are totally delusional if you think that subs are superior than dubs or dub is made for 'less intelligent' people. You have given no sources to prove your point to be accurate (or even a little bit convincing), that is what I call being 'less intelligent'.

> They alter translation to make it watch able to wide variety of audience. Moreover, alterations are more often in subs than dubs. Don't believe me? Ask Crunchyroll yourself.

> Censorship? When was the last time you watched a dubbed anime? A decade ago? Censorship doesn't happen in this era, unless the original Japanese version is censored. In that case, the uncensored Blu Ray version dub is later released.

> Localisation actually improves the personality of the characters while retraining their original personality. Try Black Butler, My Girlfriend is a Gal, Code Geass, Death Note, Clannad and pretty much every other anime.

> Shitty VA? Have you ever watched a dubbed anime? Oh, I'm pretty sure you have watched that fandubbed Dragon Ball to defame dubbed anime. You have managed to convince me that last time you watched a dubbed anime was a decade ago.

> Dub provides a variety of emotions, while you can't even differentiate between one emotion with another in subs.

> Huh? What? There is absolutely no culture washout whatsoever.

Due to not being intelligent and unable to comprehend dubs, you're now convinced that subs are better than dubs.
Oct 25, 2017 12:09 AM
Jul 2018
Himawari9 said:
jarring said:
i watch a lot of both. probably more subs when it comes to new anime of course...
but if an anime has a dub, I'm watching it dubbed. No matter how bad it is.

i honestly think the people complaining about dubs these days are obnoxious and ungrateful punks.

back in the day, you actually had to pay extra for dubs, and that was when dubs actually WERE bad for the most part. But it didn't matter, it was anime.

Kids these days are spoiled rotten idiots.

I am one of the people that started anime with dubs and then switch to subs entirely. I watched Ghost in the shell, Samurai 7, Ran the samurai girl , DBZ, etc. with dubs but when rewatch them in subs, it bring an entirely new experience for me.
I don't like dubs since my first language is not English anyway but I won't even watch the dub in my own language. I prefer to watch everything in it original language since the dialogue fit better with the animation, the emotion is also better and more natural. With subs, I can watch more anime and don't have to wait.
There are plenty of cartoon and American movies that were dubs in Japanese but I don't watch them. There is no way I am gonna watch Scooby Doo in Japanese even if one of the VA in there is my most favorite VA. With comedy like Gintama, dubs cannot bring out the jokes very well and then turn to the solution of changing lines which in turn, kill the essence of the anime. Like the "Gintama, Kintama" joke that only make sense in Japanese.

By the way, "dubs > subs" is a bait-worthy title. Everyone can watch dub or sub, whatever they like but to me "original > dubs"

tbh, people who are not english have no right to an opinion
Oct 25, 2017 12:16 AM
Jun 2016
rsc-pl said:
jarring said:
The problem is the people who constantly talk shit on dubs.

Nope. Dubfags are the problem. No one is telling you to stop watching dubs, but you just need to accept the fact that dubs are made for less inteligent people/kids/stereotypical average Americans. Like seriously.

>censorship
>a lot of localization which in most cases changes whole characters and their personalities
>full culture washout

In the end, you are basically watching a totally different series. And as I said. Of course, you can take a low-tier way to watch anime, but don't try to convince anyone that dubs are better (or even close to original or subs).

This guy is absolutely correct. Only shart in marts can enjoy horrible cheesy overacting.

Kenny_Stryker said:

You are totally delusional if you think that subs are superior than dubs or dub is made for 'less intelligent' people. You have given no sources to prove your point to be accurate (or even a little bit convincing), that is what I call being 'less intelligent'.

> They alter translation to make it watch able to wide variety of audience. Moreover, alterations are more often in subs than dubs. Don't believe me? Ask Crunchyroll yourself.

> Censorship? When was the last time you watched a dubbed anime? A decade ago? Censorship doesn't happen in this era, unless the original Japanese version is censored. In that case, the uncensored Blu Ray version dub is later released.

> Localisation actually improves the personality of the characters while retraining their original personality. Try Black Butler, My Girlfriend is a Gal, Code Geass, Death Note, Clannad and pretty much every other anime.

> Shitty VA? Have you ever watched a dubbed anime? Oh, I'm pretty sure you have watched that fandubbed Dragon Ball to defame dubbed anime. You have managed to convince me that last time you watched a dubbed anime was a decade ago.

> Dub provides a variety of emotions, while you can't even differentiate between one emotion with another in subs.

Due to not being intelligent and unable to comprehend dubs, you're now convinced that subs are better than dubs.

t. butthurt amerishart
'ate gundam
Oct 25, 2017 12:19 AM
Jul 2018
19/m ^ lol @ this guy trying to be an elitist.
Oct 25, 2017 12:31 AM

Aug 2013
Kenny_Stryker said:

Well, actually, I understand Japanese, so, no. You are completely wrong. Even the most localized subs (aka cummie-tier crap) are still FAR MORE ACCURATE and LESS alternated than ANY dub.

Kenny_Stryker said:

Censorship? When was the last time you watched a dubbed anime? A decade ago? Censorship doesn't happen in this era, unless the original Japanese version is censored. In that case, the uncensored Blu Ray version dub is later released.

Censorship doesn't only mean visual changes.

Kenny_Stryker said:

Let me ask you, are you deaf?

Kenny_Stryker said:

In your dreams, my burger bro.
And you mentioned a Clannad dub. Yeah, you are deaf.

Kenny_Stryker said:

You are a troll, please be a troll.

Kenny_Stryker said:

xD

Please, don't reply to me anymore.
rsc-plOct 25, 2017 12:43 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 25, 2017 12:37 AM
Aug 2017
jarring said:
Himawari9 said:

tbh, people who are not english have no right to an opinion

Say what? You didn't say anything specific about English dubs or not. And even Donald Trump has to acknowledge that I am a American citizen and I have every right to say my opinion in an online forum.
PS: your grammar are gonna attract an grammar nazi.
Oct 25, 2017 12:37 AM
Jul 2018
@kenny_stryker tbh the dub for clannad was really awful imho. it was one of the last really bad dubs to be done post-millennium.
elfen lied is another big one that comes to mind.
Oct 25, 2017 12:45 AM
Aug 2017
@kenny_stryker

Trying watching Gliiter Force. I baffle at the name change, episode cut and editing.
Oct 25, 2017 12:47 AM
Jul 2018
Himawari9 said:
@kenny_stryker

Trying watching Gliiter Force. I baffle at the name change, episode cut and editing.

who would watch glitter force anyways besides 12 year old girls?
Oct 25, 2017 12:55 AM

Jan 2017
>censorship
>script alterations
>bla bla bla bla
Lol this rsc-pl guy is absolutely hilarious. I want whatever he's smoking.
Oct 25, 2017 1:00 AM
Aug 2017
jarring said:
Himawari9 said:
@kenny_stryker

Adult male otaku? The same ones who demanded an official dub for the franchise. I only glanced at it because of the complaints from said fans. The situation reminded me of the old Yugi-oh. I didn't think this kind of dubs still exist.
Oct 25, 2017 1:03 AM
Jul 2018
Himawari9 said:
jarring said:

Adult male otaku? The same ones who demanded an official dub for the franchise. I only glanced at it because of the complaints from said fans. The situation reminded me of the old Yugi-oh. I didn't think this kind of dubs still exist.

lol @ any adult who would complain about glitter force
Oct 25, 2017 1:05 AM
Mar 2011
jarring said:
Himawari9 said:

you seam to backing the bad transation i dead aesnts
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Oct 25, 2017 1:08 AM
Aug 2017
jarring said:
Himawari9 said:

So you don't know that more than half of the fanbase of the precure franchise consist of adult otaku? That is why there are a lot of precure H-doujinshi.
Oct 25, 2017 1:08 AM
Mar 2011
Kenny_Stryker said:
rsc-pl said:

>censorship
>full culture washout

um im Japanese and i can say dubs iv seen on hhe site i helprun suffer form bad trasnlation up the ringer are you going to defend bad translations

Oct 25, 2017 1:22 AM
Jul 2018
DateYutaka said:
Kenny_Stryker said:

um im Japanese and i can say dubs iv seen on hhe site i helprun suffer form bad trasnlation up the ringer are you going to defend bad translations

most of the stuff people complain about with the translations from what i've seen aren't worth complaining about, and in fact, i think they're better that way most of the time.
Oct 25, 2017 1:26 AM
Mar 2011
jarring said:
DateYutaka said:

most of the stuff people complain about with the translations from what i've seen aren't worth complaining about, and in fact, i think they're better that way most of the time.

im after accuracy in transaltion that is it

Oct 25, 2017 1:33 AM
Jul 2018
DateYutaka said:
jarring said:

it's important to note that the changes they make aren't always without thought, especially in dubs.
Oct 25, 2017 1:36 AM
Mar 2011
jarring said:
DateYutaka said:

it's important to note that the changes they make aren't always without thought, especially in dubs.

th good dubs translates changes the syntex ot fit the new lanague that is it a good dubs nedss un my views

Oct 25, 2017 1:43 AM
Jul 2018
DateYutaka said:
jarring said:

th good dubs translates changes the syntex ot fit the new lanague that is it a good dubs nedss un my views

My personal favorite dub is squid girl. lol .. but there are many that i love.. certain voice actors appeal to me a lot especially christine cabanos as squid girl, mako(kill la kill), and minarin(toradora). Luci Christian is also CRAZY good. like she has done so much stuff... lol but i think my favorite dub she was in was as Hestia in Danmachi.
it's crazy how much of a difference it makes switching to dub with these shows. :|
Oct 25, 2017 1:45 AM
Mar 2011
jarring said:
DateYutaka said:

My personal favorite dub is squid girl. lol .. but there are many that i love.. certain voice actors appeal to me a lot especially christine cabanos as squid girl, mako(kill la kill), and minarin(toradora). Luci Christian is also CRAZY good. like she has done so much stuff... lol but i think my favorite dub she was in was as Hestia in Danmachi.
it's crazy how much of a difference it makes switching to dub with these shows. :|

you do not understand my view on this this is not casting debate fomr my end

Oct 25, 2017 1:50 AM
Jul 2018
DateYutaka said:
jarring said:

yeah but if you know these characters, their performance is what makes the anime. the "syntax".. what's changed in their translation .. what they say that is "different" than the japanese version.
removed-userOct 25, 2017 1:55 AM
Oct 25, 2017 2:00 AM
Mar 2011
jarring said:
DateYutaka said:

yeah but if you know these characters, their performances is what makes the anime. the "syntax".. what's changed in their translation .. what they say that is "different" than the japanese version.

the sytax is lingustisc term that is so ot be changed im talking about bad translations that are still emdmic in dubs both ways but the best dub iv seen in [midiacorp] fox japan's simsons dub its perfect dub translated not locallized the only changed thing is sysax ot fit japanese patten od speach

that is what all dubs should work in my eyes

your talking lingustins here not casting

Oct 25, 2017 2:00 AM
Aug 2017
I only read Ika Musume manga and the squid puns there are rather annoying.
Oct 25, 2017 2:06 AM
Jul 2018
Himawari9 said:
I only read Ika Musume manga and the squid puns there are rather annoying.

really? yeah well, if it wasn't for Christine Cabanos and her adorableness as well as her puns idk if squid girl would even be a thing...at least here.
Oct 25, 2017 2:09 AM
Jul 2018
DateYutaka said:
jarring said:

yeah but if you know these characters, their performances is what makes the anime. the "syntax".. what's changed in their translation .. what they say that is "different" than the japanese version.

the sytax is lingustisc term that is so ot be changed im talking about bad translations that are still emdmic in dubs both ways but the best dub iv seen in [midiacorp] fox japan's simsons dub its perfect dub translated not locallized the only changed thing is sysax ot fit japanese patten od speach

why do you even worry about it considering your own english? i mean, do you really think you have a right to judge?
don't get me wrong, you have great English for being Japanese. It's just that...ya....
Oct 25, 2017 2:15 AM
Mar 2011
jarring said:
DateYutaka said:

why do you even worry about it considering your own english? i mean, do you really think you have a right to judge?
don't get me wrong, you have great English for being Japanese. It's just that...ya....

cuase i want non japan anime fans to get exacly as i got no compremises and no cuts

most us dubbing people and alot of time as bad as 4kids are in Changing things to this day

Oct 25, 2017 2:19 AM
Jul 2018
DateYutaka said:
jarring said:

cuase i want non japan anime fans to get exacly as i got no compremises and no cuts

most us dubbing people and alot of time as bad as 4kids are in Changing things to this day

this doesn't make sense to me. If English dubs have the chance to make something better by changing or adding/removing directly to/from the line to make it appeal more to an english audience, they should. and a lot of times, that means it's going to be different than the original translation, and more than just syntax.
Oct 25, 2017 2:20 AM
Aug 2017
jarring said:

Maybe DateYutaka worries that inaccurate localization would make people have some misunderstanding about his culture. In my opinion, if someone translate something from my culture, I would want the translation as accurate as possible. I, myself, also love to know the exact translation of something from different cultures.
Himawari9Oct 25, 2017 2:23 AM
Oct 25, 2017 2:20 AM

Oct 2017
I like both sub and Dub, as long as I'm able to watch anime. But my mum tells me what is the piont of watching something you don't understand, and I always tell her IT'S SUBTITLED! But she doesn't understand my point.
''We have to live a life with no regrets.'' -By Portgas D. Ace
Oct 25, 2017 2:24 AM
Jul 2018
Himawari9 said:
jarring said:

Maybe DateYutaka worries that inaccurate localization would make people have some misunderstanding about his culture. In my opinion, if someone translate something from my culture, I would want the translation as accurate as possible.

oh trust me, we won't be misunderstanding anything about the Japanese culture because of anime. we've been getting weird stuff from Japan for a long time. If anything, it's been a lot more tame as of late.
Oct 25, 2017 2:34 AM
Mar 2011
jarring said:
DateYutaka said:

this doesn't make sense to me. If English dubs have the chance to make something better by changing or adding/removing directly to/from the line to make it appeal more to an english audience, they should. and a lot of times, that means it's going to be different than the original translation, and more than just syntax.

that pay high levels of disreesct to teh creators of anything im about respecting the artist

main reason i have distatse for say the us comics indtsdy is the the leck of creatos right look ar ditko moore just to name t the two most eagregous ways the big two havd fucked over creators

abnd i see bad translation as doing that too video game translation and cenorship is even worse

but lets stikc ot anime right now im purist in this way i word it like this there has been very few even passibale dubs not matter what lanaguge the go in to

Oct 25, 2017 2:43 AM
Aug 2017
@jarring

K. It is just a matter of preference. I prefer something as accurate as the original as possible since I want to understand the author's intention. The same for movies, novels, poems, etc.
Oct 25, 2017 2:53 AM
Jul 2018
DateYutaka said:
jarring said:

that pay high levels of disreesct to teh creators of anything im about respecting the artist

main reason i have distatse for say the us comics indtsdy is the the leck of creatos right look ar ditko moore just to name t the two most eagregous ways the big two havd fucked over creators

abnd i see bad translation as doing that too video game translation and cenorship is even worse

but lets stikc ot anime right now im purist in this way i word it like this there has been very few even passibale dubs not matter what lanaguge the go in to

yeah idk about english to japanese translations.. i did pick up a japanese translated version of some spawn way back for funsies, but yeah, it's not really my problem lol.

@Himawari9 I guess.. I mean I think the people at say like.. funimation or ocean productions deserve their artistic freedom.
Oct 25, 2017 3:01 AM
Jul 2018
DateYutaka said:
jarring said:

yeah, idk if you have a right to judge. I've been watching dubs for a VERY long time... my favorite movie when I was little was a dubbed french cartoon. and I was not only a part of the anime boom in the west, but i helped popularize it in my city. It wasn't until the millennium I started to meet people I didn't know that was into anime. Before then, everyone I knew that watched anime was by my influence.
Oct 25, 2017 3:06 AM
Aug 2017
@jarring

As long as it is not too over-the-top like changing the name of the characters into English ones or removing cultural aspect completely , everything else is fair game. I like good dubs from old anime like Cowboy Bebop.

The Glitter Force I mentioned has an episode where the MC goes to Kyoto for a field trip and the dub changed it into an Asian Expo trip, this is what I call going overboard.
Oct 25, 2017 3:11 AM
Jul 2018
Himawari9 said:
@jarring

As long as it is not too over-the-top like changing the name of the characters into English ones or removing cultural aspect completely , everything else is fair game. I like good dubs from old anime like Cowboy Bebop.

The Glitter Force I mentioned has an episode where the MC goes to Kyoto for a field trip and the dub changed it into an Asian Expo trip, this is what I call going overboard.

i haven't seen what you're talking about, but i'm sure it was for a good reason.
Suspension of disbelief is super important in U.S. media.
Oct 25, 2017 3:35 AM
Aug 2017
jarring said:
Himawari9 said:
@jarring

i haven't seen what you're talking about, but i'm sure it was for a good reason.

It is due to the company wanted to change the setting of the anime from Japan to US.
Oct 25, 2017 3:39 AM
Jul 2018
Himawari9 said:
jarring said:

It is due to the company wanted to change the setting of the anime from Japan to US.

it makes sense. If a lot of the setting can be interchangeable like that, then why not? Like, if English watchers can't see any difference, all the more reason to have that change. What they call it doesn't really matter as much as whether or not the animation itself allows it.
Oct 25, 2017 3:49 AM
Aug 2017
jarring said:
Himawari9 said:

it makes sense. If a lot of the setting can be interchangeable like that, then why not? Like, if English watchers can't see any difference, all the more reason to have that change. What they call it doesn't really matter as much as whether or not the animation itself allows it.

They cut out the episodes that was obviously too Japanese. The audience are 12 and younger girls so I guess it is fine with them. Adult will notice that there is something wrong but then they would have gone and seen the original. More shows for little girls to watch.
Oct 25, 2017 3:53 AM
Jul 2018
Himawari9 said:
jarring said:

They cut out the episodes that was obviously too Japanese. The audience are 12 and younger girls so I guess it is fine with them. Adult will notice that there is something wrong but then they would have gone and seen the original. More shows for little girls to watch.

Yeah, it's understandable.. especially for a younger audience. The younger, intended audience, is most important. Younger people might have a harder time following the show. If it was too foreign, they wouldn't understand it, and thus not watch it.
Oct 25, 2017 3:56 AM
Mar 2011
jarring said:
Himawari9 said:
@jarring

that is culatal chuvanistosm your defneding

Oct 25, 2017 4:02 AM
Jul 2018
DateYutaka said:
jarring said:

that is culatal chuvanistosm your defneding

are you calling me a chauvinist? =\

suspension of disbelief has to do with immersion. the more you are able to suspend your disbelief, the more heavily immersed you are.
Oct 25, 2017 6:43 AM
Aug 2017
jarring said:
Himawari9 said:

Yeah, it's understandable.. especially for a younger audience. The younger, intended audience, is most important. Younger people might have a harder time following the show. If it was too foreign, they wouldn't understand it, and thus not watch it.

I actually prefer that they didn't do dub like this at all. There is no need to introduce Precure to the West. It is just as bad as Demashita! Powerpuff Girls Z.
Pages (176) « First ... « 173 174 [175] 176 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Who is the hottest anime mom? (beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - 7 minutes ago

1 by tchitchouan »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Which season of Vinland Saga do you guys prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 42 minutes ago

4 by Zettaiken »»
15 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

182 by Mishiia »»
35 minutes ago

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 8 hours ago

45 by Piromysl »»
46 minutes ago

» What is your most re-watched anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

53 by Fancyjasper »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.