Forum Settings
Forums

Anime you highly anticipated, but disappointed you (your most disappointing anime)

Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
May 11, 2011 6:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 193
Gintama - Not as funny as people made it out to be.
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
Death Note - Making it to episode 17 has been the hardest thing I've ever done.
Deadman Wonderland
Steins;Gate
C
Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal
Spring 2014: NANANA WINS ALL.
Check out my blog :) http://castlebell.blogspot.com/
 
May 11, 2011 7:00 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 1980
Steins;Gate
Maria+Holic Alive (I really liked the first season, the first episode of S2 however was just bad)
SKET Dance
 
May 11, 2011 7:09 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 4987
After all the hype that surrounded it, I was pretty diappointed with Madoka for a bit over the first half. Last 3 or 4 episodes made it a good watch at the end, but the beginning wasn't all that great.
 
May 11, 2011 12:15 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 172
I won't say I highly anticipated it, but I was at first interested to watch Dragon Crisis. How I made it to about 8 episodes, I really don't know. It was terrible.
I had heard a lot of good things about Azumanga Daioh. But it bored me to death. I guess it just wasn't the show for me even though I enjoy comedies such as Minami-ke and Nichijou. I finished it anyways.
 
May 11, 2011 12:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 85
Gurren Lagan... too childish.
 
May 11, 2011 12:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 550
Revolutionary Girl Utena and Strawberry Panic.
 
May 11, 2011 12:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 546
mushishi, i seriously had high hopes for this, but it's just pretentious random crap.
Closer.
 
May 11, 2011 1:02 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 259
Ao no exorcist
Tought it might be interesting, but it's on the verge of dropping after 2 episodes already, it's just annoying me too much.
 
May 11, 2011 1:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 4876
Mephisto Pheles looks like a copy from Mephistopheles from (Goethe's) Faust for me.


Erm yeah, Isn't that the point of that character? I don't see the problem with being able to "get" a reference immediately rather than needing time for it to sink in.

I love angsty moral grey areas as much as the next guy but every story does not need a redeemable villain, I like big bads. In fact I am searching for more bad guys that are just evil period.

 
May 11, 2011 5:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1809
Sattyricon said:
Gurren Lagan... too childish.


I think that was the point of it.


 
May 11, 2011 6:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1908
Moshidora




 
May 11, 2011 6:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 932
Ao no Exorcist. Started to watch it after the many 9's, unfortunately, it turned out to be a typical shounen.

Forgot about this, but Clannad. Probably because I was a little too lazy to watch it and I didn't really hear many things about it. Then I actually watched it, and thought Clannad was excellent. Watched ~After Story~, bawwed.
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
 
May 11, 2011 6:13 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 860
For this season, Moshidora & C. Not saying that it's not good, it's just that I did not received enjoyment that I expecting.
.
 
May 11, 2011 10:53 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 194
For this season hmm i would say hanasaku iroha although it took longer then the first 2 episodes for it to lose its appeal those were the best episodes but now the characters i am finding to be a little annoying
 
May 20, 2011 5:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 775
Tsubasa Chronicle(thought I'd like,but it was too light-hearted/girly for my taste I guess)
Fushigi Yugi(thought I'd like cause it was fantasy. but the only fantasy I really saw was time travel. There was no fantastical beasts or magic powers of lush fantasy lanscapes.)
Massugu Ni Ikou(thought I'd like it because it was about dogs. but it was too cutesy and shojo for my taste.)
Bleach(People told me it was like Inuyasha and it was supposed to supernatural,but I found it boring and it wasn't the same kind of supernatural as xxxholic, Inuyasha, or Kekkaishi.)
Exclusively female yuri community with polls, games, member cards, and more. Join today.Recruiting Staff too!
 
Oct 20, 2011 3:17 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 4987
Deadman Wonderland - Sounded really interesting but the gore was just ridiculous, the characters sucked and the plot wasn't gripping. Or rather I was too busy laughing my ass off at the stuff that was going on.

K-On - Had seen many of the famous moe clips on youtube. So I thought "okay, that's cute, if there's some decent humour in it and the characters are likeable this is gonna be good. I like SoL after all. And it's KyoAni doing a music show. Gonna get some awesome stuff like in Haruhi ep 12." Well, turned out that the moe was really all the show had going. didn't make me laugh once and the music...what music?
 
Oct 20, 2011 3:21 AM
originanime

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 10413
Mine would have to be Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai.

I had very high hopes for that Anime. It had one of the best opening themes in my opinion. (It even made top 10 on my favorite Anime OPs of all time list) First few seconds of the Anime was fine than slowly... and I mean slowly... I was getting mind fked. I have never dropped an Anime up until that moment.
 
Oct 20, 2011 4:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 810
Shinryaku! Ika Musume - It looks cute , i love the main character but the other main characters are like the typical characters where you see in every anime.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
 
Oct 20, 2011 5:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 224
Elfen Lied because I thought it was incredibly boring and more recently Ao no Exorcist.
 
Oct 20, 2011 1:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 714
In my opinion the disappointed anime of the last season are Blood-C and Dantalian No Shoka. :/
Seeing the trailer of the first one and reading the plot, i thought that it was an interesting anime but after 2 episode it disappointed me

The same thing is happened with Dantalian No shoka.
 
Oct 20, 2011 1:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 122
Recently,

ao no exorcist
blood-c
.
 
Oct 20, 2011 3:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 626
Shyk1 said:
Recently,

ao no exorcist
blood-c


this
 
Oct 20, 2011 4:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 22
Blood-C
 
Oct 20, 2011 4:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 141
ao no exorcist- It had like one interesting character and a average plot.

Shakugan no shana season 3 ( Amazing animation, but the first 2 episodes were average at best.
 
Oct 20, 2011 4:10 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 112
 
Oct 20, 2011 4:16 PM

Online
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 3609
Mouryou no Hako
First and second episodes was good to watch, but after that in every episode 4 guys sit down at table and talking about everything :P

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…"
 
Oct 20, 2011 4:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 932
Guilty Crown.
Relies heavily on visuals and music, none of the characters are interesting, the story so far is meh.
 
Oct 20, 2011 4:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1275
The following are spoilt by the story being swamped by 'typical' character types and overused scenario's.
- Phi Brain
- C³
- Freezing
- Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai II
- Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?
- Persona 4 (a bit of an exception to my statement, but it bored me)
- Toaru Majutsu no Index
All quite recent stuff sadly. :(

 
Oct 20, 2011 4:43 PM
Lily Gardener

Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 2966
Blood-C is the biggest disappointment ever. I seriously doubt I can, or will ever be more disappointed with an anime for the rest of my life. Blood-C was just terrible.

 
Oct 20, 2011 4:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1853
Hanasaku Iroha. looked super interesting so i waited two season for it to finish airing; watched three episodes and haven't gone back yet sad face.

 
Oct 20, 2011 4:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 4876
Queen_Stars said:

The following are spoilt by the story being swamped by 'typical' character types and overused scenario's.
- C³

Haha at this point in CxCxC you can't even tell me the story so claiming it is spoiled is kind of funny.

- Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?

The fun part about KoreWa's 'typical' character types is that they were so out of place and combined together in a humorous way for the story.
Although there isn't really anyway around 'typical' character types. You were born a few thousand years too late to enjoy 'original' character types.

You were actually highly anticipating Phi Brain? It scream Yu-Gi-Oh but with puzzles months ago and is just that.

 
Oct 20, 2011 5:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1275
Anime_Name said:
Queen_Stars said:

The following are spoilt by the story being swamped by 'typical' character types and overused scenario's.
- C³

Haha at this point in CxCxC you can't even tell me the story so claiming it is spoiled is kind of funny.

- Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?

The fun part about KoreWa's 'typical' character types is that they were so out of place and combined together in a humorous way for the story.
Although there isn't really anyway around 'typical' character types. You were born a few thousand years too late to enjoy 'original' character types.

You were actually highly anticipating Phi Brain? It scream Yu-Gi-Oh but with puzzles months ago and is just that.


I do find the character types of C3, aswell as the overall tone, very familar, and the basis of the 'Zombie Desu Ka? characters, also, very familar, aswell as the scenario's - though I'll only give a chance to stuff I want to like, niether are 'funny' IMO.
I did state exactly what it is that spoilt these series's for me, feel free to dissagree, but avoid the insults as I have asked before. ;)

 
Oct 20, 2011 5:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 948
honestly, you shouldn't judge the whole series after watching 1-2 episodes ...

and i totally agree with the first comment on this thread..
llxwarbirdxll said:
This is why you completely lower your expectations before you get into anything.

as long as you do, there will alway's be less disappointment. always.
if you lower your expectations and try to be forgiving (depends on what series it is, ofcourse there are endless of horrible series out there), then atleast you just might enjoy it a bit more.

i watch anime for enjoyment, not to criticize..
The Internet is a very bad place, you should never go there.
 
Oct 20, 2011 7:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 353
I quit both Neon Genesis Evangelion and Gasaraki in the middle; they were boring (though I am loving the new Evangelion movies.)

Ga Rei Zero was bland but I somehow made it through the whole thing hoping there would be a payoff.

Master of Martial Hearts was stupid and terrible but I watched them all (there were only 5 episodes.)
 
Oct 20, 2011 7:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 32039
this thread is filled with so much failure

you cant base crap off the first episodes and i thought it was a very set in stone fact at this point that 1st episodes are rarely ever good

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

 
Oct 20, 2011 7:34 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 203
Guilty Crown. It doesn't match up the hype its been getting but who knows it could get better.
 
Oct 20, 2011 8:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 4876
Queen_Stars said:
Anime_Name said:
Queen_Stars said:

The following are spoilt by the story being swamped by 'typical' character types and overused scenario's.
- C³

Haha at this point in CxCxC you can't even tell me the story so claiming it is spoiled is kind of funny.

- Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?

The fun part about KoreWa's 'typical' character types is that they were so out of place and combined together in a humorous way for the story.
Although there isn't really anyway around 'typical' character types. You were born a few thousand years too late to enjoy 'original' character types.

You were actually highly anticipating Phi Brain? It scream Yu-Gi-Oh but with puzzles months ago and is just that.


I do find the character types of C3, aswell as the overall tone, very familar, and the basis of the 'Zombie Desu Ka? characters, also, very familar, aswell as the scenario's - though I'll only give a chance to stuff I want to like, niether are 'funny' IMO.
I did state exactly what it is that spoilt these series's for me, feel free to dissagree, but avoid the insults as I have asked before. ;)


I don't have any insults in that post.

Try to notice that I said KoreWa mixed in various things in order to be humorous. That has nothing to do with whether or not you found it funny. KoreWa is a zany, over the top comedy that purposefully implemented tropes in order to make jokes.

I don't know how anyone could of had high expectations for Phi Brain when all of the documentation from before airing told us that it was going to be a kiddie show about puzzles. That was all there was to anticipate and the show accomplished just that so where's the disappoint? Better yet what did you anticipate Phi Brain was going to be. Being able to explain what you expect from a series would help to lower the chances of disappointment in the future.

The only thing you have said was typical characters typical characters that but that's not an explanation because there are no new characters anywhere. Every character you can think of is just a copy, clone, homage, or ripoff of some other character. Which means the shows and characters you like are made up of typical characters too.

 
Oct 20, 2011 8:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 55
Guilty Gear and Un-Go unfortunately. Although, both have one character that really grabs my attention, great music and exceptional visuals. (gg more so than un-go but un-go's ed is better u_u)
 
Oct 20, 2011 9:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1829
beelzebub - i had really high hopes but it was pretty bad for the 9 episodes worth of chances i gave it...not sure if it has gotten better....

which brings me to the next one fairy tail...which did get better
 
Oct 20, 2011 10:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1853
Jimb0 said:
beelzebub - i had really high hopes but it was pretty bad for the 9 episodes worth of chances i gave it...not sure if it has gotten better....

which brings me to the next one fairy tail...which did get better


true that, all i see is a bunch of play on yaoi. =/

 
Oct 20, 2011 10:43 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 93
Persona 4.
 
Oct 20, 2011 11:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 10
sacred seven and freezing, for the rest i don't really remember


 
Oct 21, 2011 1:13 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 4987
How could I forget my most anticipated show EVER and the greatest disappointment I have ever witnessed with an anime series:

Haruhi season 2!
 
Oct 21, 2011 3:03 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 427
Black Rock Shooter
my friend said it was good and watchable but its incopleteness disappointed me

FLCL
i thought it was some crazy-ass "makes no sense" anime like bobo-bo. well it was but i thought it would be much more funnier than it actually was.

Guilty Crown
too much hyped. many other fall 2011 anime that were less anticipated are better imo (as for now. i can't see to the future)
 
Oct 21, 2011 4:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 6345
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon the first episode was just well besides the good character designs and the main guy the rest was just boring and lame. I will watch episode 2 and 3 to see if it gets better.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
 
Oct 21, 2011 5:17 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 782
DragonOut : So far the worst anime i saw in my life "TV anime i mean" the first EP make me want to see it and know how it end but the rest make me want to kill the cast behind it

Shigofumi : one of the most heated anime in my heated anime list :C
i'm so mach into KINO NO TABI my fav anime of all time and i hear that Shigofumi look like kino :D so i watch it
the first 2 EP was look awasem thin it start go down like hell
 
Oct 21, 2011 5:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 4987
almozayaf said:
i hear that Shigofumi look like kino :D so i watch it

Whoever told you this just flat out lied to you. Seriously, how are those shows similar?
 
Oct 21, 2011 5:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1275
Anime_Name said:
Queen_Stars said:
Anime_Name said:
Queen_Stars said:

The following are spoilt by the story being swamped by 'typical' character types and overused scenario's.
- C³

Haha at this point in CxCxC you can't even tell me the story so claiming it is spoiled is kind of funny.

- Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?

The fun part about KoreWa's 'typical' character types is that they were so out of place and combined together in a humorous way for the story.
Although there isn't really anyway around 'typical' character types. You were born a few thousand years too late to enjoy 'original' character types.

You were actually highly anticipating Phi Brain? It scream Yu-Gi-Oh but with puzzles months ago and is just that.


I do find the character types of C3, aswell as the overall tone, very familar, and the basis of the 'Zombie Desu Ka? characters, also, very familar, aswell as the scenario's - though I'll only give a chance to stuff I want to like, niether are 'funny' IMO.
I did state exactly what it is that spoilt these series's for me, feel free to dissagree, but avoid the insults as I have asked before. ;)


I don't have any insults in that post.

Try to notice that I said KoreWa mixed in various things in order to be humorous. That has nothing to do with whether or not you found it funny. KoreWa is a zany, over the top comedy that purposefully implemented tropes in order to make jokes.

I don't know how anyone could of had high expectations for Phi Brain when all of the documentation from before airing told us that it was going to be a kiddie show about puzzles. That was all there was to anticipate and the show accomplished just that so where's the disappoint? Better yet what did you anticipate Phi Brain was going to be. Being able to explain what you expect from a series would help to lower the chances of disappointment in the future.

The only thing you have said was typical characters typical characters that but that's not an explanation because there are no new characters anywhere. Every character you can think of is just a copy, clone, homage, or ripoff of some other character. Which means the shows and characters you like are made up of typical characters too.


You don't notice the digs you make?
Dissagreeing with someone is fine, but your tone states; you're wrong! How could you think this? Comments directed at an individual are not nessessary (such as 'your'e 100 years too late' and 'what you've said is funny' when there's no joke) - it all comes across as a comback in favour of something another could actually have a discussion with.

Anyway...
In my original post, I stated that stories seemed as theough they were being pretty much drowned under characters and scenario's; there was no mention of lousy storylines - thei is exactly why I can't quite get into C3, it's familar at the moment with no real plot yet (which we pretty much agreed on), yet we have established characer types, which aren't impressing me.

You may like the character types of 'Zombie desu ka?, but I'm again, not too impressed and also find this anime to be the type that opporates in a charcter>scenario>plot motion with can be very effective at times in entertaining many, yet often, can lead other viewers to want the story to hurry up and pick up some pace (I'm of the latter group).

Familiar character types are fine when pulled off well...
I know full well that most charcters fall into a 'type', I have watched anime more then half my life, have written books since I was a child (character creation is the hardest part) and have been on a writing course - the problem is, many production companies don't work hard with characters put into the media, they're clones of another as you stated, they could pretty much switch places and the story would continue as usual, as many are pretty much the same as they're typical of there 'type'.
Plenty of anime's however manage to take a cliche and make it something special - there are a number of anime's that stand out dispite following a well used plot and a number of characters who manage to prove 'different' dispite actually falling into a 'type' - yet as stated, many production companies, aswell as authors can't be bothered giving a character any dimention, as they know the 'type' sells'.

Finally - what's wrong with looking forward to an anime like Phi Brain?
It's a dissapointment, but I look forward to anything that breifly catches my eye.
Also, there are many people who enjoy Yu-Gi-Oh (I though the earlier ones were only OK) and I'll give a chance to any series, no matter what the demegraphic is - Phi Brain is a shounen, which is my thing, so I gave it a chance.

 
Oct 21, 2011 7:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 841
TTGL. My friends hyped the living daylights out of the show and when I saw it this was my reaction:

Shameless self-promotion: http://www.pernerple.com/
Slyr3do0n said:
MAL is the dark underbelly of the anime community. While other naive fanboys and fangirls run around in real life forming clubs and squealing in deafening high pitch noises about their favourite animus, we remain here, meticulously dismantling the credibility of each and every show, until all that remains is a steaming pile of tropes and ass pulls which we then devour to gratiyfy our glutinous and masochistic desires.
 
Oct 21, 2011 7:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
It's been a while since I saw it, but I was so excited to see Love Hina after seeing all the "cute" and "awkward" screencaps in Animedia (I was getting them at the time for Digimon articles). I was expecting an "Ah! My Goddess!" or "Tenchi Muyo!" caliber story.

...boy was I ever disappointed. :(
 
Top
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »