Forum Settings
Forums

Anime you highly anticipated, but disappointed you (your most disappointing anime)

Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Apr 29, 2011 10:14 PM

Not necessarily have to be a new or ongoing anime.

A Channel - I thought it will really become the best anime of the season. I was excited because of the colorful cast of characters but I'd rather watch Ichigo Mashimaro ten times than this. It, however, still manage to make me smile and smile alone.

Black Rock Shooter - I was excited to watch this one because of the trailer and I enjoyed the battle scenes. Although it really was incomplete and ended so fast. The concept was good but the story was just shallow.
Modified by Luna, Sep 13, 2013 9:40 AM

Apr 29, 2011 10:22 PM

This is why you completely lower your expectations before you get into anything.

Apr 29, 2011 10:23 PM

High School of the Dead - I didn't know there was going to be a lot of ecchi stuff on it xD, it is a good anime, but I was expecting a lot of actions and I love zombie stories, this dissapointed me because it's more focused on the girl's big breasts instead of surviving.

Apr 29, 2011 10:28 PM

I'm always trying to have any expectations before beginning a new anime but the first time I watched Neon Genesis Evangelion...Everyone told me it was one of the best anime ever...It was not that bad but I do not think this anime deserves so much glory.

Apr 29, 2011 10:58 PM

llxwarbirdxll said:
This is why you completely lower your expectations before you get into anything.

True but people tend to overrate things especially when something in it interests them to the extent that they hype on it even though they haven't actually saw it. Much like anime, I expected A channel to be good since it's another slice-of-life which I greatly enjoy. I don't understand but BRS is slice-of life too.

But what's done is done so I'm gonna lower my expectations next time for the sake of not regretting it.

Apr 29, 2011 11:10 PM

Black Rock Shooter - Complete shit.

Diebuster - Certainly not bad, but definitely not as good as people made it out to be. No where near as good as Gunbuster.

Index series - Has a lot of fans, so it must have some merit, right? Nope. Absolute trash. Completely worthless.
Your favorite anime is shit.

Apr 29, 2011 11:28 PM

Index was the opposite for me. Expected boring trash and got... surprisingly entertaining trash. Then Railgun surprised me again by being so terrible.

Ayakashi Japanese Horror - was expecting Mononoke, or at least some good classic Japanese stories. But the first two segments were incredibly dull, sadly.

Golden Boy - It got high marks for comedy from a bunch of people... and then it ended up being a bunch of mediocre jokes about boobs and toilets. Got enough of that in Junior High, thanks.

Bartender - Classy and unique idea! Thought it would be right up my alley, but it did not manage to hold my interest.

Apr 29, 2011 11:29 PM

Hayate no Gotoku S2: Season one wasn't exactly stellar, but was at least adequately funny with a good sense of parody. Season 2 decided to chop up half its characters and throw them into the generic blender, and leave the rest of the new space to jerk off to hinagiku.

Pani Poni Dash: didn't personally have high expectations of this to start with... but a good friend of mine told me it was "The funniest thing he had ever seen," which turned out to be complete bs. A very boring show.

Apr 29, 2011 11:58 PM

Golden Boy - It got high marks for comedy from a bunch of people... and then it ended up being a bunch of mediocre jokes about boobs and toilets. Got enough of that in Junior High, thanks.

It got high marks because it was good sexual humor. Every review on MAL comments on how perverted it is.

Apr 30, 2011 12:04 AM

It's gotta be Evangllion

Apr 30, 2011 12:19 AM

Jigoku Shoujo - that's some really overrated shit there. Since it had high score i thought i'd check it out, and yeah first 3 or so episodes were pretty nice, but it was all the same shit over and over again later. I lost patience at ep15.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー

Apr 30, 2011 10:23 AM

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. I completed it just for the sake of completion.

There's also Naruto: Shippuden.

To a lesser extent, Yokuwakaru Gendai Mahou.

Apr 30, 2011 10:26 AM

Yosuga no Sora not actually 1-2 episodes but at the end of the first arc.

Apr 30, 2011 10:45 AM

Tiger & Bunny was hyped to hell, but I thought the first episode was boring, and not even that exciting.

Apr 30, 2011 10:53 AM

Tytania. So much for LoGH 2 huh.

Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja

Apr 30, 2011 10:57 AM

Oh and Togainu no fucking Chi...
It's a disaster.

Apr 30, 2011 11:00 AM

Baman said:
Tytania. So much for LoGH 2 huh.

I haven't seen Tytania...but how do you follow LOGH anyway? :o

And another Lagaan answer here. I didn't really get that show until Episode 8, which surprised me alot and I sort of "got" it then and loved it. That and Giga Drill Breaker.

Apr 30, 2011 11:11 AM

Definitely Togainu no Chi, that was completely terrible. Also, Bakuman. I found it really boring, and I still have to force myself to watch the last few episodes.

Apr 30, 2011 11:18 AM

Aria the Animation

I love the slice of life genre and this seemed to be one of the top picks as a lot of people (at least in casual chat) seemed to love it.

The characters are extremely dull in every aspect if you ask me which makes the show unwatchable.

A slice of life has to have an interesting/likable set of characters.. if they're not likable then you wouldn't want to watch a 'slice of their life' which is what the genre is all about.

Apr 30, 2011 11:19 AM

Nichijou and Denpa Onna.

Apr 30, 2011 11:40 AM

death note (i tought it was boring as hell)
steins; gate (same as above)
Yosuga no Sora
Hen Zemi (looked ok but damn shit is damn weird)
Ore-tachi Ni Tsubasa Wa Nai (i don't mind fanservice but man first 3 minuits where enough to fill a full season so to speak)
Romance Anime List

Romance Anime List

3DS friend code 3325-2089-7587 (pm yours)

Apr 30, 2011 11:43 AM

Maybe not exactly spot on the topic, but anime "Girls Bravo" made me lose any expectations of anime industry, so far to abandon watching anime altogether for 5 years.
I came back year ago and sadly the fanservice trend grew even more into nowadays anime.

Apr 30, 2011 12:03 PM

11eyes. The art and everything just lull you into thinking it's going to be great. But then you realise it just gets worst. Character, plot, everything.

Apr 30, 2011 12:13 PM

A-Channel, I really liked the first episode but it seems to be going downhill from there...
Steins;Gate, it's good just not exactly what I was expecting
Maria†Holic Alive, I don't even know why I'm still watching this

Apr 30, 2011 1:00 PM

Rio Rainbow Gate. I knew it was going to be like it was since it's from Tecmo and the DOA team, but man was it too weird. >_>
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Apr 30, 2011 1:17 PM

Mirai Nikki's OVA. The full series is coming out in the future, though, so it still has a chance. But before that was announced, I was very disappointed. Still doesn't mean the show will be better, though, but it's impossible to tell now.

Apr 30, 2011 2:00 PM
Alfanuta said:
High School of the Dead - I didn't know there was going to be a lot of ecchi stuff on it xD, it is a good anime, but I was expecting a lot of actions and I love zombie stories, this dissapointed me because it's more focused on the girl's big breasts instead of surviving.

I also go a long with HSOTD also. I didn't like any of it, because of the ecchi :/

Apr 30, 2011 2:16 PM

Air....
Courtesy of Paul

Apr 30, 2011 2:36 PM

shadowsword said:
Gosick
Gintama
A-Channel
Maria Holic Alive
Bakuman
Kuroshitsuji II
Highschool of the Dead
IS: Infinite Stratos
Elfen Lied

WAT,
how can you say bakuman??
srslsy very good anime wdf

Apr 30, 2011 4:10 PM

lkeike said:
WAT,
how can you say bakuman??
srslsy very good anime wdf
I would assume it's got something to do with this thing called "Subjective Taste". Apparently, it's some sort of mental disorder that people get from unprotected consumption of entertainment.

Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja

Apr 30, 2011 4:16 PM

Everything on my dropped list and everything I gave a mediocre score too.
There are way to many, there are even series's I have forgotten to list and forgotten the names of, as they failed to stand out; ironically, I'll only watch something that has an interesting discription.

I'm an odd person who, upon finding something boring, can then catagorise it into it's own genre, which is 'boring', no matter what the theme (Though I'll always give details, I'll have to stop this), yet one stands out more then anything...
Code Geass!
Not only did I expect great things based on its discription, but this is a hit series.

Apr 30, 2011 4:31 PM
ChäoS;HEAd
RahXephon
Gintama

Apr 30, 2011 4:32 PM

shadowsword said:
Gosick
Gintama
A-Channel
Maria Holic Alive
Bakuman
Kuroshitsuji II
Highschool of the Dead
IS: Infinite Stratos
Elfen Lied

I feel the same about each and every anime from this list that I've seen.
Kuroshitsuji II proved to be monumentally disappointing
Maria Holic Alive - I must be a sadist to still watch this
Toaru Majutsu no Index - no, just no
Gosick - it was a sad day, the one I realized Gosick wasn't what I expected it to be
Ookami Kakushi - what has been seen cannot be unseen, unfortunately

Apr 30, 2011 4:35 PM

Fractale- I was looking forward to it because it was a Noitamina series, but it got off to a pretty mediocre start there and only got worse after that.

Ookami Kakushi- Even Umineko got off to a better start than this, and DEEN wasn't even behind it. Shame too since I liked Higurashi.

I suppose Tsubasa Chronicle would count too. The beginning was just awful, and everything after that was pretty hit-or-miss (some arcs were great; others were a bit bland). It wasn't until the last few arcs of the manga that I really started to dislike it, though. CLAMP used to make some pretty good stuff too.

May 1, 2011 4:15 AM

Bakemonogatari. It's OK, just OK. I've put it on hold. I just can't seem to sit through it.
Maybe it's because it's not exactly the easiest thing to watch with subs. It would be better If I could understand Japanese.

May 1, 2011 4:26 AM
hmm, dear s, it thought it would be something like chobits. uhhh, akikan, i was like wtf...

also bokura ga ita
really boring. didnt like it at all! so slow!

hatsukoi limited
didnt like pervert man, didnt like the big hench dude, it was too weird!

kuroshitsuji
i was expecting a dark mysteriouse anime, but it ended up crappy.

May 1, 2011 4:38 AM

Hourou Musuko.

I had heard lots about the manga, but then I heard they were making an anime adaptation and decided to hold off, since I generally prefer anime.

The first episode starts halfway through the manga and features major spoilers, which kinda killed my enthusiasm for Hourou Musuko completely.
Because there is no 'U' in Color.

May 1, 2011 4:55 AM

Minami-ke. A friend of mine told me it was good and funny like Lucky Star. I didn't realize that our preferences were completely opposite so what was good to him was garbage to me. Well, I like Lucky Star but I just can't get that same fun when watching this.

Oh, and Highschool of the Dead. I was able to bear with the ecchi in the manga because there were also plenty of gore, but the anime toned down those violent scenes and filled them with boobs and panties.
Modified by stormgoddess, May 1, 2011 5:03 AM

May 1, 2011 5:16 AM
Gotta be Summer Wars. (well, it's not a series, but whatever)
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was a brilliant masterpiece, and it still remains as one of my favourite anime movies. It was incredibly entertaining, funny, and was full of likable characters. And I assumed that Summer Wars would be as good as TGWLTT.

But no, it wasn't. AT ALL.

It wasn't really bad either, it's just so mediocre and still believes that it's an awesome movie that it becomes annoying.
And on top of that the director of Summer Wars ripped off his own Digimon movie which he directed?! When I first watched Summer Wars I thought I was having some sort of flashback or deja-vu because the Social Network in SW is the EXACT same thing as in Digimon, right down to the design! How cheap is this guy? Seriously, this movie is totally overrated....

May 1, 2011 7:08 AM

togainu no chi
I was really looking forward to it + the PV's were awesome but the plot to it totally sucked and they kept doing random things for no reason.... *Sulks*
My parents always taught me not to talk to strangers............Well, that went well didnt it?

May 1, 2011 7:29 AM
K-ON!- Its not that its bad but i feel like im going nowhere with this show
Wanna read the"To aru majutsu no index" Light novels in English? Go here.
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=To_Aru_Majutsu_no_Index

May 1, 2011 8:32 AM

Black Rock Shooter - Since I've absolutely loved Vocaloid to death, I was expecting something awesome from this. Gaaaah, I highly disliked this. Cliffhangers, unanswered questions, uneven art, and more. But I did like the action sequences. That's about it, though.
Highschool of the Dead - I was excited for this. Why? I love these types of stories. This is most likely the first zombie apocalypse anime, so I expected it to become a decent action series with lots of blood and gore. As I watched its first episodes, I couldn't believe all of this fanservice. It's got all the nice mixings of a zombie apocalypse; zombies, a badass gunman, (Thanks, Hirano) and craziness as the anime proceeds. But man, THE FANSERVICE. The zombie apocalypse genre needs a proper anime now.
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"

May 1, 2011 8:53 AM

~Clannad
~Angel Beats
~Bakemonogatari
~Bokura ga Ita
~Yosuga no Sora
~Shakugan no Shana

May 1, 2011 9:26 AM

Yosuga no Sora
I heard about this anime from a friend and she told me it was a funny, ecchi, shoujo anime and I though, oh I kinda like the plot, BUT! It was so slow and borning, full of crappy love stories, and to top the whole thing, the music, it was almost no music at all, and the music that was there, were boring. Bleh.
UNICORNS!

May 1, 2011 9:29 AM

C - the money of whatever and whatever
K-ON
Minami-ke
Tiger and bunny

May 1, 2011 9:57 AM

Wedding Peach!

After all the bashing of it being just another Sailor Moon knockoff and getting myself to read the manga, I really loved the manga! It's one of my favorites. I thought it was cute and while I knew the anime made it even more fluffy and cute and added the typical monster of the day stuff, I never expected to be... what it was.

I was bored out of my mind with the repetitive transformation sequences. Momoko not only transforms once, but TWICE. And I'm not talking like Sailor Moon goes to Sailor Super Moon via Holy Grail. No, that gave mercy in that it was short. NO. We need the wedding dress transformation, then the speech, then yet ANOTHER full transformation into the ACTUAL battle costume, followed by yet ANOTHER speech. Good GOD. And her friends had to do it too! WHYWHYWHY.

I love transformation sequences, but... it was just too much. Later on, I know that doesn't wind up being the case, but just by the way it set itself up like that made me so disappointed that I couldn't bare to watch much more.

However, Wedding Peach DX was much more to my liking, and I found that highly enjoyable by comparison. I wish that would have been the series.

Haha. Magical girl series are stupid. It's a good thing I love them to death.

May 1, 2011 10:55 AM

OtherGuyX said:

also bokura ga ita
really boring. didnt like it at all! so slow!

oh how could i forget this haha slow that it became anoying and then halfway it just got worse haha
Romance Anime List

Romance Anime List

3DS friend code 3325-2089-7587 (pm yours)

May 1, 2011 10:58 AM

One Piece I guess. I can't remember any others right now.
Haruhi is Haruhi, and no one but Haruhi!

May 1, 2011 11:10 AM

Mugetsu_ said:
One Piece I guess.

This.

Also:

White Album
The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi (I like it, not love it. It had so much hype.)
Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto

May 1, 2011 11:24 AM

C. I was really looking forward to it...and it turned out to be nothing like I was expecting.

Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »