Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
May 16, 2011 7:37 AM
Jul 2009
Gangler said:
Chiibi said:
Gangler's quote, removed to keep the post size down. Pardons requested. XD

Especially in a show like this where every single female seems to have full sized watermelons struggling to burst free of their confining garments, throwing a loli or some manner of flatchest our way just seems like courtesy. At the very least it's sensible move in order to not lose that entire demographic.

Hm. I know I'm late with this, but I couldn't help but respond. Sure, there are a lot of very well-endowed girls out there...but I don't think it's overdone--not lately, anyway. In fact, I get the feeling that the opposite's the rage, these days. Once again, I've seen quite a few anime series with busty girls, but I've noticed a trend, lately, where the male lead rejects the (relatively) busty girl with interest in him for a less-endowed one.

Sure--like that link says--it may send a message, but it's getting rather trite, now--what probably makes it so (in general, not just to me) is that the male lead has very little reason to choose the less-endowed girl (often, these days, with a violent and blatantly disrespectful personality) over the bustier one, aside from an attempt to resend the aforementioned message (which may not need to be sent, considering the apparent fact that those with a taste for flat-chested girls aren't all that uncommon anymore--if they were at all; it just becomes preaching to the choir) or an apparent one to pander to lolicons (which is what makes makes it annoying, to me--not in general).

Speaking of lolicons..ZgMfx2oAFrEeDoM mentioned "lolicon moments". If you ask me, there wasn't just one in this episode--there were a few. Aria was given a few not-quite-upskirt moments. My reasoning for that is that Aria is different from a girl like Hinagiku Katsura--they both may be flat-chested, but Aria actually looks like a grade-schooler...and even acts like one. This really goes without saying, since everyone knows she's a loli. Anyway, and given the pandering I suspected in the previous paragraph, such "moments" are par for the course, I guess.
GigaknightMay 16, 2011 7:40 AM
May 16, 2011 8:08 AM

Sep 2008
Gigaknight said:

Hm. I know I'm late with this, but I couldn't help but respond. Sure, there are a lot of very well-endowed girls out there...but I don't think it's overdone--not lately, anyway. In fact, I get the feeling that the opposite's the rage, these days. Once again, I've seen quite a few anime series with busty girls, but I've noticed a trend, lately, where the male lead rejects the (relatively) busty girl with interest in him for a less-endowed one.

Oh for sure. There's been a rise these things lately. I think it's just how the trends are right now. Busty will be in fashion for a while, and then people get sick of that and some smaller ones come in. I'm not quite sure when it started being ok to have lolis as the main romantic lead (as opposed to a barely acknowledge cast member with a one way crush), but that was certainly a game changer. Took them out of the minor roles and put them right in the spotlight. Eventually it'll come full circle.

Of course, when I refer to every female having "watermelons struggling to burst free of their confining garments" I am referring to this show in specific. The women who are not Aria all seem to be pretty excessively developed so far, except for Reki who got a full ten seconds of screen time. At the very least there's not a whole lot of middle ground here. There's busty and then there's breastless.

That's basically what I was referring too when I said a courtesy in order not to lose a demographic. If aria had been another fully developed busty girl this show would have nothing but them. From a marketing standpoint simply by including a single underdeveloped girl they open up their show to an entire new demographic.

Gigaknight said:

Sure--like that link says--it may send a message, but it's getting rather trite, now--what probably makes it so (in general, not just to me) is that the male lead has very little reason to choose the less-endowed girl (often, these days, with a violent and blatantly disrespectful personality) over the bustier one, aside from an attempt to resend the aforementioned message (which may not need to be sent, considering the apparent fact that those with a taste for flat-chested girls aren't all that uncommon anymore--if they were at all; it just becomes preaching to the choir) or an apparent one to pander to lolicons (which is what makes makes it annoying, to me--not in general).

Yeah, except that generally there's not a whole lot of reason for the guy to go after the busty girl either. Especially once you get to this grade of fiction. I mean, what's Shiroyuki's big thing? She can cook? She hasn't actually displayed any characteristics that would make someone want to spend more than two minutes with her, and she's excessively needy and clingy. Rikos only thing is that we've seen that she'll speak to kinji politely when he's buying her services.

It's only the driving notion that a lead must have a romantic interest that would possibly send him towards any of these women. Any sensible human being would pretty much just not associate with any of them in any capacity.

Gigaknight said:

Speaking of lolicons..ZgMfx2oAFrEeDoM mentioned "lolicon moments". If you ask me, there wasn't just one in this episode--there were a few. Aria was given a few not-quite-upskirt moments. My reasoning for that is that Aria is different from a girl like Hinagiku Katsura--they both may be flat-chested, but Aria actually looks like a grade-schooler...and even acts like one. This really goes without saying, since everyone knows she's a loli. Anyway, and given the pandering I suspected in the previous paragraph, such "moments" are par for the course, I guess.

Right. I get that Aria is a loli. I'm not contesting that. Regardless of what the age placed on her profile, she is in every qualifiable and quantifiable way a child. There's no way around that.

But where are the lolicon moments? As near as I can tell nothing close to sexual desire towards Aria has actually been expressed or implied within the series. So there's the loli, but I haven't seen a lolicon yet.
May 17, 2011 8:24 AM
Jul 2009
Gangler said:

Yeah, except that generally there's not a whole lot of reason for the guy to go after the busty girl either. Especially once you get to this grade of fiction. I mean, what's Shiroyuki's big thing? She can cook? She hasn't actually displayed any characteristics that would make someone want to spend more than two minutes with her, and she's excessively needy and clingy. Rikos only thing is that we've seen that she'll speak to kinji politely when he's buying her services.

It's only the driving notion that a lead must have a romantic interest that would possibly send him towards any of these women. Any sensible human being would pretty much just not associate with any of them in any capacity.

At least for this series, you've got me here. lol But I was really referring to that phenomenon in general, though. But, to be fair--and if I am not mistaken, Aria (from my memory) does not strike me as needy (unless you count the pressure she places on him to stay in Butei/demonstrate his Hysteria power), but DOES seem quite clingy (that "slave" talk, moving in without permission or notice, and her refusal to accept his planned departure from Butei). With both of them exhibiting those traits, what does that leave us? Despite her aforementioned traits and the yandere they engender, Shirayuki actually is normally nice to Kinji. Aria can be nice to Kinji, but after making many wonder why he puts up with the stuff she does, first.

Gangler said:

But where are the lolicon moments? As near as I can tell nothing close to sexual desire towards Aria has actually been expressed or implied within the series. So there's the loli, but I haven't seen a lolicon yet.

An example of what I mean for this episode, alone, is when the two were driving in that van (or whatever kind of vehicle it was, I only remember that it's black, now XD)--when they discussed who she believed is the culprit behind the bus hijacking. The camera was on the same level as the seat; the only thing stopping the viewer from getting an upskirt shot was her left leg. Nothing would have been lost from the scene if the camera was kept level with her face--there had to be a reason why it was down there, where there aren't many visual subjects for the viewer to watch.

As for the series itself...in the first episode--when Kinji and Aria dealt with the Seven Submachinegun-toting Segways from Hell--and Kinji found himself in close contact with Aria, he was getting aroused (sexually, obviously) from that contact. If Kinji himself isn't a lolicon, then that scene was the first to pander to lolicons.
GigaknightMay 17, 2011 8:30 AM
May 17, 2011 10:09 AM

Sep 2008
Gigaknight said:

At least for this series, you've got me here. lol But I was really referring to that phenomenon in general, though. But, to be fair--and if I am not mistaken, Aria (from my memory) does not strike me as needy (unless you count the pressure she places on him to stay in Butei/demonstrate his Hysteria power), but DOES seem quite clingy (that "slave" talk, moving in without permission or notice, and her refusal to accept his planned departure from Butei). With both of them exhibiting those traits, what does that leave us? Despite her aforementioned traits and the yandere they engender, Shirayuki actually is normally nice to Kinji. Aria can be nice to Kinji, but after making many wonder why he puts up with the stuff she does, first.

True. You could make the case that it's because he's a masochist that he puts up with it, but I got the impression it was just because Aria seems to have a violent streak and could take him. When she just sets up shop in his house and makes it clear he'd have to remove her by force, there's not a whole lot of options at his disposal knowing that he lacks the force necessary to remove her.

Heck, I'd almost hazard a guess that she wanted him to try. She's interested in his skill after all. Probably wanted to see what he could do. Didn't expect him to just roll over like that, but she didn't realize that he has a superpowered alter ego.

I'll admit Shiroyuki doesn't treat him like shit or anything. She's actually quite nice to him. I kind of think that listing that as a reason one might pursue a woman is a little bit much though. Treating you nicely is more of a necessity, a foundation that must be there before desirable attributes may even be acknowledge as significant. Imo at least. I could be wrong on that.

Don't get me wrong, she's got a leg up on Aria. Heck, probably more than a leg up, seeing what Aria's behavior has been and taking into account that Shiroyuki has a preexisting relationship with Kinji it's night and day, but I still stand by my statement that any sensible human being would want nothing to do with any of these women.

Plus, Kinji himself seems to view both of them with disdain, but the plot is of course going to uncontrollably pull him towards aria, because they're the pair. Ultimately I find myself more put off by the notion that he's going to choose any of these than which particular one he chooses. Seems like when you take the time to establish that the male lead does not at all like any of the female cast, that can be a proper excuse to just leave him single.

I mean really. We could make the case that it's because of the assumption that no one is complete without a "Better half", or we could decide that it's because men are insatiably driven by sex to the point that lacking any better options, he'll just latch on the the nearest poon like a drowning man thrown a life preserver. Whatever the guiding mentality is behind it, I can't really see it being anything positive.

Just in general? I think the romantic lead will probably have whatever look the authors feel works for her. No real need to read any huge messages in that. What gets published/produced will have certain trends based on what the publishers are seeing selling right now. It's a business, that's just how these things work. As of late petite and/or loli seems to be the trend. Later on some producer will notice some of their more developed characters becoming fan favorites and start pumping the busty beauties out like some kind of factory. Other companies will see the profits and follow suit and then that'll just be the norm until they're given reason to do otherwise. I don't begrudge them for good business... now. Once I go a few seasons without even a half-decent petanko we'll see how I'm fairing lol.

Gigaknight said:

An example of what I mean for this episode, alone, is when the two were driving in that van (or whatever kind of vehicle it was, I only remember that it's black, now XD)--when they discussed who she believed is the culprit behind the bus hijacking. The camera was on the same level as the seat; the only thing stopping the viewer from getting an upskirt shot was her left leg. Nothing would have been lost from the scene if the camera was kept level with her face--there had to be a reason why it was down there, where there aren't many visual subjects for the viewer to watch.

As for the series itself...in the first episode--when Kinji and Aria dealt with the Seven Submachinegun-toting Segways from Hell--and Kinji found himself in close contact with Aria, he was getting aroused (sexually, obviously) from that contact. If Kinji himself isn't a lolicon, then that scene was the first to pander to lolicons.

Well, if Kinji is so much as exposed to large breasted cleavage he risks hysteria mode if he doesn't manage to pull his gaze away fast enough. Aria gets topless and Kinji gets nothing until he starts motorboating her. I think its' safe to say he's not a lolicon.

I see what you're saying though. You're basically talking about moments meant to appeal to the lolicons in the audience. Just a miscommunication of meaning. Yeah, for sure. Aria's the female lead and this show does have that ecchi tag. Even if its' overall been tremendously mild and censored on top of that, certainly she has been portrayed in a manner that is meant to be erotically pleasing. I don't know why that would have been noteworthy for ZgMfx2oAFrEeDoM to point out originally though. It's pretty much necessary for this to even be the genre that it is. There's cliched and then there's just necessary expectations. Pull open a fantasy novel, I can be pretty sure that aspects of the setting and/or plot will be fantastic in nature. Stuff like that. Pull open an ecchi series, female lead is gonna be seen provocatively.

Heck, as a general rule the female lead is probably gonna be provacotive regardless of genre. That's not even just a japanese thing. Tune into The Matrix, prepare to see Trinity in formfitting leather engaging in fight scenes that seem almost choreographed to place her in exotic poses and positions. She gets those gams up where we can see them at almost every opportunity. Though admittedly the Matix combat is surprisingly heavy on the kicks in general for a series where everyone of importance has access to unlimited firearms, there's still a comparison to be made even outside of anime or genres where provocativeness is at all necessary.

But yeah, I can certainly concede that if that's what's being referred to as lolicon moments, then the show is really just one big one lol. It wouldn't have occurred to me that this would need a term separate from when we get to see the older looking girls in such a light.
May 27, 2011 4:23 AM

Dec 2010
Kinji is just killing me when he starts thinking on how there are many colors of underwear xD . Or his phrase: "This is why cheap things suck." :D . I want to learn more about the Butei rules. I want to know all of them O.O. And everything about the different divisions. Inquesta and Repure? I bet there are more than just them.

Aria seems to have a bit of contradicting characteristics =\ I still don't like her.

And Reki seems pretty much cool to me. I want to see more of her character.
Aug 14, 2011 5:21 AM

Mar 2011
So, someone changed all the clocks in his house just so he'd miss the bus?

Hmmm, is his shrine maiden friend (Shirayuki was it) the butei killer? Yandere, has access to his house....yeah. Okay, its a wild guess but it's my hunch for the time being!
Oct 15, 2011 12:04 PM

Jul 2010
that was actually a really cool episode, though they shouldnt have used the same scienerio again, but i guess thats how butei killer rolls.

Nov 20, 2011 1:46 AM

Jun 2009
The most blatant ripoff of a famous movie I have ever seen in an anime.

Also the "shotting the bomb down" was probably the most ridiculously unrealistic thing in anime history.
Sep 27, 2012 6:45 PM

Sep 2012
Awesome episode!
Reki was great!
Jul 10, 2013 7:55 PM
May 2013
I give it 3/5, the animations and character interaction was 5/5 but the whole "mission" or "case" whatever you want to call it, i did not like it. It was too much of a ripp off of the movie Speed. I think that their creative side could have been alittle better!
Aug 17, 2013 6:07 PM

Jun 2013
Hidan no Aria is, for me, a significantly less popular SAO. It's an anime that I find amusing enough to watch despite how horribly flawed I know it is beyond belief.

With all the negative energy around it and all, I doubt it's going to get any better than this. Deus ex machina all around in this episode (can you even fucking shoot a bullet under a bus at that angle?) At least Aria was a little more tamer in this episode, but I wouldn't mistake something like that for character development.
Jan 12, 2014 2:00 AM

Jun 2013
SHIT GOT REAL.
Last time, I found Aria annoying to me. But I like her now.
KINJI. I KNOW YOU'LL CHANGE YOUR MIND IN THE NEXT EPISODE.
This show is cooler than I thought or expected.
Feb 26, 2014 10:10 AM

Jan 2009
1. Dat sniper + helicopter combo was awesome

2. butei killer sounds like booty killer

6/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Mar 3, 2014 3:48 AM

Jan 2008
Pretty decent episode really I hope it continues to be good though I know it has low rankings right now but I shall see.

But I like Aria alittle bit more now
Jun 28, 2014 12:32 AM
Mar 2013
This episode was pretty intense with the bomb situation. It's cool how the students jackets are bullet proof but they sure don't look it.

I'm beginning to hate this Butei killer. I hope he gets caught soon.

TicklingThoughts said:
SHIT GOT REAL.
Last time, I found Aria annoying to me. But I like her now.
KINJI. I KNOW YOU'LL CHANGE YOUR MIND IN THE NEXT EPISODE.
This show is cooler than I thought or expected.
I agree Kinji is in denial right now ^^ He'll change his mind soon enough I'm sure.
Jul 14, 2014 3:50 PM

Aug 2013
Speed; the animated movie.
My Candies:
Aug 16, 2014 9:54 PM

Jan 2014
Another bomb hijacking?? Come on it's the same mission from episode one!
Best part by far was the arcade scene
( ^ω^ )
Sep 17, 2014 12:18 PM

May 2012
Pretty decent development, quite liked that sniper shot! Let's see what's next.
Dec 18, 2014 9:35 PM

Oct 2013
This is basically just an anime version of Speed 2.
Sep 30, 2015 7:57 AM

Aug 2013
A lot better than the last one. This episode shows the potential of this anime
Nov 13, 2018 8:03 AM
Nov 2018
Can't even watch it says somethings wrong...this sucks
May 29, 2019 6:41 AM

Sep 2012
so she is dying and searches for replasment for herself, she always says she doesn't have much time left what is a death flag even if its miss diagnosies
Jun 14, 2019 8:45 AM
Nov 2013
Can anyone explain exactly why he can't just quit school if he doesn't want to be a Butei so much??? I respect his choice, but its getting super annoying how he keeps saying he wants to quit but doesn't do anything to actually quit.
Jan 27, 2023 9:01 AM

Aug 2019
quite dumb of aria to be mad at kinji. i think kinji would have followed what aria said better if aria ever told that she had hired reki for help but aria was cute anyways
HiljainenSipuliJan 27, 2023 9:06 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 12, 2023 9:06 AM
Mar 2016
Aria's driving is literally identical to my mom's XD
Because Aria is like, you are not the one. I am interested in where this is going. Guess she'll have to find a new slave.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» I wish there was more

LostInLove - Oct 26, 2023

8 by Kiikani »»
Apr 20, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Hidan no Aria Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Hoppy - Apr 21, 2011

196 by Karva1 »»
Apr 15, 8:06 PM

Poll: » Hidan no Aria Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - May 12, 2011

225 by Lost_Hearts »»
Dec 12, 2023 9:57 AM

Poll: » Hidan no Aria Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - May 5, 2011

232 by Lost_Hearts »»
Dec 12, 2023 9:31 AM

Poll: » Hidan no Aria Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Apr 14, 2011

259 by Lost_Hearts »»
Dec 11, 2023 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.