Forum Settings
Forums

Anime you thought you won't like all that much, but ended up being one of the best things you ever saw

Pages (56) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Apr 29, 2011 9:45 AM
gto
i once saw the 1st opening somewhere before watching the series and i just judged the book of its cover.

code geass
one or two years ago i watched the first ep and then i didn't really like it and avoided watching it.

both of these are now on my favorites

Apr 29, 2011 10:01 AM

naruto and bleach =/
Signature in process...

Apr 29, 2011 10:02 AM

Ouran High School Host Club. :)
At first, looking at the cover, i didn't like it. But then my cousin and my friend says that it's a very nice series. So I watched it, and turns out, I loved the series! :)

Apr 29, 2011 10:06 AM
Clannad, and Death Note

Apr 29, 2011 10:21 AM
Madoka
Meh, more mahou shoujo cr*p? -> Huh, it seems to be more popular than expected, oh well whatever -> *actually checking MAL page* ; Genres: Psychological, Thriller, Rating: 17+ (violence+profanity) lolwut? *starts watching* -> Wow,I totally didn't expect THIS to happen

Dog Days
http://ayakofansubs.info/tag/dog-days/
Started watching because it seemed like an incredibly stupid/horrible anime -> Chocobo? "Franboise"? Takeshi's Castle? Uh...MUST WATCH -> Can't help but I find this anime strangely hilarious

Apr 29, 2011 4:09 PM

The law of Ueki

Apr 29, 2011 5:23 PM

I thought Canaan might turn out boring but I ended up really liking it.

Apr 29, 2011 5:31 PM

Code Geass : I was skipping this for years and a friend suggest me this because it's the closest thing to Death Note, I was skeptical at first but I watched it and both season turned out to be my favorites series of all time.

Apr 29, 2011 5:36 PM

Ouran High School Host Club. I thought the art was nice and everything, but the premise didn't sound fantastic. Now, it's one of my favorite series!

Apr 29, 2011 5:36 PM

Ouran High School Host Club.
I had a bad impression of it for years.
BUT THEN I watched it.
Partially Toradora! as well; I generally don't approach shows of its genre, but I'm glad I made that exception.

Apr 29, 2011 5:59 PM
Arakawa Under the Bridge and Madoka Magica.
­

Apr 29, 2011 6:19 PM
A lot of series, especially the first few anime I'd ever seen.

Like Evangelion. Mecha stuff just doesn't appeal to me much. But now it ranks as... well, my favorite anime series, possibly.

Apr 29, 2011 6:24 PM

I'll be really honest. Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

It was before when I watched all the prequels. I watched the first movie and I had doubts about it.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

Apr 29, 2011 7:45 PM

Ichigo Mashimaro. I thought it was going to be a lame comedy, but I gave it a try and I was laughing through the entire thing.

Sora no Woto. When I read the description and reviews I had the impression it wasn't interesting at all, but after the first episode I couldn't stop watching.

Nana. I didn't think I'd like the whole adult drama with the rock theme, but it ended up being one of my favorite series. (=

Apr 29, 2011 7:54 PM

Confucius said:
I'll be really honest. Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

It was before when I watched all the prequels. I watched the first movie and I had doubts about it.

Would. Of. Never. Thought. You.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Apr 29, 2011 8:23 PM

12 Kingdoms haha, i tried watching it b4 and it seemed boring at the beginning since i was doing something else as well but later on i tried to watch it properly and it proved me wrong. I just didn't like too much story telling in it near the end

Apr 29, 2011 8:41 PM

Clannad, Oofuri, and so many more.

I really imagined Clannad to be some cheesy anime with big-eyed chibi-looking characters but after watching it I was pleasantly surprised. I've taken a break from it now, but it's mostly because of my busy schedule and my desire to be able to marathon it when there isn't so much on my mind distracting me.

And then Oofuri is a sports anime. I wasn't expecting much, I don't particularly enjoy watching sports in real life so the thought of watching it animated didn't seem appealing. Nevertheless it was sort of the "hype" on dA for a while so I gave it a shot. It was definitely worth my time, the series is so much more than what it seems and leaves you wanting more with each episode. Just finished rewatching it and I was as glued to my screen and emotionally involved as the first time. So cheesy but eh, Oofuri is definitely a majorly under-appreciated series imo. orz

Apr 29, 2011 9:04 PM

Clannad, Code Geass and GTO all surprised me. I was sceptical when it came to watching these series as there is quite a lot of hype around them.

I was partial to watching Romance/Drama/Slice-of-life series until I saw Clannad, which basically changed my mind single single-handedly. I thought Code Geass wasn't going to be too good because I am not a huge fan of mecha's and I thought that is what it would be, boy was I wrong. And for GTO, I wasn't expecting much, I thought it was going to be an over-hyped lacklustre series, which I was once again proven wrong.

On the other hand, Higurashi - I picked up this series with no prior knowledge of it, and almost dropped it after the first 2 episodes (The first few episodes are completely different to the rest of the series), but I persevered on with it, and once again the series proved to turn out to be one of my favourites.

However, there are so many series that start out good and end up bad, but lets not get into that here.
Will you be able to do.... what must be done?

Apr 29, 2011 9:26 PM
Bleach.

I'm not into battle anime, but my friend kept nagging for me to watch it. I insisted that I'd never like it and and I didn't want to watch it. I finished a series and was roaming around for something new to watch, so I finally gave in and decided to watch the first episode. By episode three I was hooked. I'm currently watching it, somewhere in the 150's, and I absolutely love it. It's made me laugh and cry and stay up 'til three in the morning because I was so into the story. Definitely not what I expected. :)

Apr 29, 2011 9:52 PM

One Piece - First, I was discouraged by the art, and I just plainly thought it wasn't good. But then after trying after some episodes, I got hooked to their hearty adventures and comedy. And the story is very nice and sometimes unpredictable, the characters are very appreciable, etc.

D.Gray-man - I thought it was very dark for me to handle, but it turns out okay. The story has very nice and exciting plot twists and mysteries. Just recently watched the anime then continued in the manga...

Apr 29, 2011 9:57 PM

I'd have to say Cross Game. Everything seemed typical about it and in some ways it was. But I still couldn't help but love it lol. And yeah I'm gonna say One Piece too. A rubber man just seemed too ridiculous haha.

Apr 29, 2011 11:51 PM

Mines are Death Note, Honey & Clover, Clannad, Nana & Shugo Chara.
At first i thought Death Note looked a little weird, but after I kept watching it I ended up liking it.
After seeing the first couple of minutes of Honey & Clover, I thought to myself, "Ohh great, another anime that doesn't make sense -___-" but I kept watching it and found out that, that was what made it funny... randomness!
When I heard about Clannad I was hesitent about watching it because from some pics it looked girly, but then I read about it and ended up watching it outta curiosity xD
When I saw Nana on a anime website I was on, again I was hesitent to see it, but still watched it and absolutly loved it!
And with Shugo Chara, I thought it was super girly, but after I saw a pic of Ikuto I said "Ohh hell yeaaaahhhhh! I gotta see this!!<333" xD

Apr 30, 2011 9:39 AM
Darker Than Black - At first it didnt make any sense for me, but its last few episodes were amazing, which made me eager to watch its 2nd season

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - What makes it different from any other mahou shoujos, thats what i thought when its first ep. came out, after watching its first ep. i was about to drop it for sure, but then it turned out to be a very good show and watched it till the end

Apr 30, 2011 9:54 AM

Zettai Karen Children - Just look at it, honestly. Would you expect a show called "Absolutely Lovely Children" to be any good?

Surprisingly it was pretty funny and entertaining!

Apr 30, 2011 11:46 AM

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Apr 30, 2011 11:52 AM

Angel Beats!

Apr 30, 2011 12:08 PM

Madoka Magica (thought it would be a typical magical girl anime (not that some of them aren't good ^^'))
Durarara (I almost didn't watch it but I figured I should give it a chance)
Kimi ni Todoke (I don't know but the Synopsis sounded really stupid to me...)
Princess Tutu (the boys in tights was kinda... but just at first)
Soul Eater (big mistake putting this one off!!!)

Apr 30, 2011 8:13 PM

Probably Death Note... I saw this series on a lot of top ten lists and stuff, but it never looked interesting to me (the colors looked drab and the plot looked a bit dull...) But when I actually decided to try it out, I was completely hooked, and didn't want to do anything else but watch it. I still love Death Note to this day, even though the ending was one of the worst I've ever seen... but I can forgive it.

May 1, 2011 12:54 AM

kemono no souja erin

May 1, 2011 12:59 AM

Angel Beats! I thought it was not going to like it and now here I am waiting for season 2. :D
"Ogon’ po gotovnosti!"

May 1, 2011 1:28 AM

Katanagatari

May 1, 2011 1:33 AM

Gunslinger Girl - much deeper than just 'girls with guns'

May 1, 2011 1:35 AM

Never would have even seen Ika Musume if not for my anime club, but after one episode I was busy searching for more.

May 1, 2011 3:46 AM

Hajime no Ippo!

May 1, 2011 3:57 AM

The only reason I decided to watch Gurren Lagann was because It seemed pretty popular. So i thought it was worth a try. I'm glad I did it's one of my favourites and I've become very fond of the mecha genre. Similar thing with death note. I just saw the manga and thought "meh, might as well." and that also turned out being a favourite.

Death Note probably started my true interest in the world of anime (before I just read manga every now and again)

May 1, 2011 9:45 AM

I can only think of two fairly recent things I've watched that fit this description...

1. Baccano! turned out to be amazing. I wasn't expecting much from it since it was popular and I was under the assumption it was just another one of those overrated, ridiculously popular series that are cool but aren't amazing. I tend to shy away from series that are popular anyhow. So I was bored and gave it a try, expecting not even to walk away liking it, but going, "Meh," and I WAS BLOWN AWAY. I had known about it FOR SO LONG and didn't bother to give it that chance. I could slap past me up side the head for thinking such things. I was really impressed.

2. It was a while ago, but Higurashi no naku koro ni turned out to be one of those too. I was annoyed that no anime horror series I had seen had really made me feel suspense or actually scared, so when I went into Higurashi, I was rolling my eyes and preparing myself for a snoozefest. Quite the opposite happened. I was up until 8 AM marathoning part of it once, had trouble falling asleep a few times until I knew it was daylight outside, and wound up covering my face but always making sure I was peeking through my hands to actually see what was happening - I never cover my eyes completely, I always want to know what happens, no matter how gruesome! I was grinning throughout the entire first arc from sheer excitement and loving the setup of things - I was addicted. I showed it to a couple of people. I got my little brother even more into anime that way. He started collecting the Higurashi manga before me and I was horribly jealous. ARGH HIGURASHIIII IS LOVE.

May 1, 2011 9:57 AM
clannad

went in expecting a regular romcom

came out mind=blown

May 1, 2011 11:04 AM

Bleach and Naruto, but one that I'm pretty ashamed of to even meh at it at first sight was The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya which is now my #1 of all time and will never change xD.
Haruhi is Haruhi, and no one but Haruhi!

May 1, 2011 11:13 AM

Mahou Shoujo Madokai Magica. <---just seemed like another Sailor Moon. BOY, WAS I WRONG.

Naruto. <------stereotypical shounen, but I rave about it for some reason....

May 1, 2011 11:17 AM

I'd say most of the anime I've liked has been like this. Most shows, actually. I'm always skeptical when people recommend stuff to me, but then occasionally pleasantly surprised because it's actually good!

May 1, 2011 12:15 PM

One piece - Damn I judged it from the frontcover and I thought it'll be horrible, but now after two years of following it, I'm in love with everything concerning it~

Densetsu no yuusha no densetsu - the first episode was just horrible, but after the storyline and the characters were so attaching that I couldn't stop watching it~

May 1, 2011 12:22 PM

I end up judging Anime by its cover to, and that kept me from watching some of the best Anime I have ever seen including;

1. Welcome to the NHK!
2. Beck Mongolian Chop Squad
3. Gurren Lagann
4. Xxxholic

All of these are series I watched late because I felt they would be stupid.
Then after watching everything else I decided to try it out because of the good ratings

WOW was I missing out

May 1, 2011 12:22 PM
Phantom: Requieum for a phantom. I'm more of a slice of life kind of person, but this anime really caught my eye after watching the first episode. I thought it had an epic ending that fit perfectly with the story!

Rahxephon would be my second anime. I'm not big into the mecha but Evangelion and Rahxephon are the exceptions. Again Rahxephon just had an outstanding ending.

May 1, 2011 12:24 PM
Needless..... not the best thing but better than it looks.
Wanna read the"To aru majutsu no index" Light novels in English? Go here.
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=To_Aru_Majutsu_no_Index

May 1, 2011 12:35 PM

Like quite a few others have mentioned, Clannad. I didn't care much for drama or slice of life before then, but after being blown away by Clannad repeatedly, that completely changed. From what I've seen, it's the pinnacle of romcom.

May 1, 2011 1:21 PM

I won't go into too much details, but I didn't have much of a positive impressions of these shows, some of my favorites, on first sight: Clannad, Kuuchuu Buranko, Level E, Tatami Galaxy, Gintama.

May 1, 2011 1:24 PM

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
I started watching out of boredom. I thought it will be a comedy with magical girls. I was expecting a predictable humor, a little fan service. And texts like "A good win, you better be nice to all, etc". But it turned out that Mahou Shoujo Madoka is quite amazing. Total mindfuck. It wasn't nice, but tragic story also it wasn't predictable at all.

May 1, 2011 1:33 PM

baccano!!
i remember trying to watch it couple times ago but couldnt get past the 1st episode ! and when i forced myself to watch it i was totally blown away ! its a masterpiece

May 1, 2011 2:05 PM

Rose of Versailles

My first impressions were: "OK, this is a "classic" that has a pretty high rating and a seemingly strong female lead, so I will download it and give it a try, but it really doesn't sound all that appealing to me."

Then the director dies and I thought "OK, Osamu Dezaki has died, let's start watching Rose of Versailles out of respect for this revolutionary director, since I haven't watched anything directed by him."

Then I started watching it and now I think: "Wow, Rose of Versailles really is a masterpiece. The drama is actually making me emotional (which normally never happens with me), all of the mind games are awesome, kind of like Kaiji, only better and with more re-watch value and the setting actually makes sense, unlike Legend of the Galactic Heroes.*"

Yeah, I turned from a skeptic to a fanboy as far as Rose of Versailles is concerned, and I still have almost half the series to watch, including the French Revolution stuff, which I think I will be entering with the next episode.

I will second Princess Tutu as well. The whole concept seemed rather silly, but it really wasn't.

* Even fans would tell you that Legend of the Galactic Heroes shouldn't have been a sci-fi series. Seriously, the sci-fi setting in that anime is terrible.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[

May 2, 2011 5:40 PM

Code Geass & Madoka Magica
yuno6.jpg

Pages (56) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »