Forum Settings
Forums

Anime you thought you won't like all that much, but ended up being one of the best things you ever saw

Pages (56) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
May 2, 2011 6:05 PM
gonna also add

Koi Kaze and Kimi Ga Nozuen. the "old/subpar" drawing styles were discouraging, but after a few eps, i was immersed in an incredible story. the art actually became a positive rather than a negative. they are both considered 10/10 masterpieces to me :)

Black Lagoon - heard it had guns and action...did not expect to find a series that was dark, thematic, and simply brilliant.

Yosuga No Sora - expected just some weird H wincest, and well, thats what it was - but underneath that garbage was a pretty dam good story.

May 2, 2011 8:41 PM

Code Geass
Durarara!!
& Clannad

May 2, 2011 8:58 PM

Shion no Ou- I thought it might be boring as I knew nothing about Shogi, but it was such a good mystery/psychological series, I highly recommend it.

Fruits Basket-The very first Shoujo series I watched. Before it I avoided the genre entirely, as I thought it was too cute, and flowery.

May 2, 2011 10:24 PM

Hokuto no Ken
When I first started watching, I thought the art was too different from other anime. I was even about to drop it around the 6th episode.

I kept watching it though, and it ended up being one of my favorite anime ever.

May 2, 2011 10:26 PM

Kuroshitsuji actually o.o I remember going "Oooh, Its shonen...I don't like shonen :(" and it was only sub at the time aswell, so it REALLY put me off it..

...But let me tell you know, I flippin' ADORE that series! It's amazing! I've even got my friends into it! :L

May 3, 2011 3:20 AM
Air

May 5, 2011 5:30 AM

I would not call them the best things I've ever seen,but Madoka and Ga-rei Zero are good animes I would've missed if it wasn't for my brother watching them.

May 5, 2011 6:51 AM

Katanagatari. It takes a lot of time to reveal its awesomeness, and I almost gave up on it.

May 5, 2011 8:31 AM

lyrical nanoha & Bakemonogatari
Romance Anime List

Romance Anime List

3DS friend code 3325-2089-7587 (pm yours)

May 5, 2011 4:17 PM

Full Metal Alchemist.

May 5, 2011 6:16 PM

I had some reservations going into Aria.
But it's one of my favourite series ever now. :D

FMA as well, since it was my first anime. I wasn't sure I would like anime at all.
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!

May 5, 2011 6:30 PM

School Rumble
Madoka Magica
Gurren Lagann

May 5, 2011 7:36 PM
FMA:B since my friends usually enjoy craptastic anime. (and thats where I first heard of it from)

Also Durarara!! cause I thought it'd just be random stuff thrown together but I ended up really loving it.

May 5, 2011 7:42 PM

Law of Ueki - The start of the series was very weak that I thought it will become a failed shounen series. But the series greatly developed, it almost surpassed Naruto series for being awesome shonen.

May 5, 2011 11:42 PM

Gurren Lagann. My friend and I saw how popular it was and we just didn't see how it could be any good. We finally forced ourselves to watch it about a month before the AX in LA, and by the end of the show we were screaming Row row fight the powah at the top of our lungs.

May 6, 2011 12:23 AM

Soul Eater. I don't really like fighting animes, but I ended up loving SE.

May 6, 2011 2:32 AM

One Piece

May 6, 2011 8:35 AM
BULLDOG266 said:
Angel Beats! I thought it was not going to like it and now here I am waiting for season 2. :D

pretty much this, but personally I don't want a second season maybe an OVA that could show the past of the other characters

May 6, 2011 8:49 AM

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai - Slice of Life and Drama is the combination of genres that I dislike the most, especially the slice of life factor, but this show is amazing.
Modified by dfsafsaf, May 6, 2011 8:53 AM

May 6, 2011 8:51 AM

Id also say One Piece to an extent, i held it off because i thought it looked very silly at first.

May 6, 2011 10:22 AM

Madoka Magica

The first 2 episode is boring but the rest is just wow

May 6, 2011 11:32 AM

I constantly avoided watching Code Geass, since i thought it was one of those over hyped animes, but it turned out to be great. And now it is my favorite anime.

May 6, 2011 8:25 PM
Cute magical girls suck!
I thought of that until I gave Madoka a try

May 6, 2011 8:29 PM

sophy4ever said:
None. I inform myself before watching something.

Same here.

May 6, 2011 8:37 PM

Zero no Tsukaima

May 6, 2011 8:51 PM

Kaichou wa maid sama, bleach, lovely complex

May 7, 2011 4:04 AM

FMA brotherhood , before I seeing it I thought it overrated ... because it was really Popular ... but After I saw it became one of my favorites anime ...

May 7, 2011 7:11 AM

GTO (by its cover it looked really bad, but saw ppl saying it was good so gave it a go. and it was one the the best animes ive seen, its one of 3 animes ive ever rewatched.)

gintama (dropped after the first 3 eps, then watched it again a year later. watched 10-15 eps per day till i was done with it.)

Irresponsible Captain Tylor (also really plain looking, but really funny).

Ouran High School Host Club (not what i would call a "good" anime, but enjoyed it way more than i thought i would.)

Cromartie High School (loved the english dubs)

Gankutsuou (one of the most awesome plot + plot developments ive seen so far.)

ghost stories (the is really something that out of this world, awesomeness speaking, watch it in english dub if u wanna watch it.)
ya jodge me fur mine spellng, makkes u seemms soo clevar.

May 7, 2011 11:27 AM

Gintama. I only watched the first episode and hated it. It was too random and strange. I started watching it again an year later and now it is my favourite show :)

May 9, 2011 9:14 AM

Gintama I found it slow for over 20 eps, but after that its become my favorite for two years and nothing comes close.

May 9, 2011 9:16 AM

Code Geass: I watched it quite awhile back in sub and nobody seemed to have seen it beside my cousin who normally goes for different Animes to the ones I like anyways. I watched the first episode and wasn't impressed but carried on watching and now it is one of my all time favourites, such a good anime.

May 9, 2011 11:49 AM

I avoided Genshiken for the longest time, because I thought it would be boring. It took about 3 minutes of the first episode to hook me - wonderful series.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

May 9, 2011 2:23 PM

I thought I'd hate mecha anime. Turns out I'm a huge geek afterall. : ) <3
curiouser and curiouser :)

May 9, 2011 4:11 PM
sophy4ever said:
None. I inform myself before watching something.

^

I normally never start watching or reading a series before knowing what it's about..

May 9, 2011 4:25 PM

Code Geass, i first doubted it till i tried it. then liked it.
If your going to complain that Yu-Gi-Oh! Mangas are on the top NY times manga best sellers, you must not realize how popular Card games are(as well as the fact that you get a free card).

May 9, 2011 5:17 PM

Higurashi no naku koro ni.

Seriously guys... this anime is the best.

I had very low expectations for this anime when I randomly selected it on justdubs.net ,but I decided to see what it was. I watched one episode and I couldn't stop watching. I've watched every season plus specials (except for the Umineko series, but I've watched every series with the original characters).

Just a little fun fact: Higurashi Kai is the first subbed anime I ever watched. It's a lot easier to watched subbed anime than I thought.
Teehee. I didn't bother putting a signature here.... so get over it >.<

May 9, 2011 6:06 PM

one outs for me... I thought "an anime about baseball??? nah......"
And I was SOOO wrong...

May 9, 2011 6:19 PM

Nichijou. was definitely not expecting it to be this good.

May 9, 2011 6:56 PM

Sket Dance. I thought it would be some sort of Gintama rip off (three main characters who help people out - Yorozuya anyone?) but it's actually very good in it's own right. And the school setting hits closer to home than an alien inhabited world.
Switch is voiced by Gintoki's seiyuu too. I could not ask for more. :D

May 9, 2011 7:36 PM

Akagi - i didnt like the art and didnt know anything about mahjong , also i didnt watched much seinen ( only bakemonogatari if i remember correctly ) , iam still grateful that my mate forced me to watch it.

May 9, 2011 8:12 PM

I'm not sure if this counts since my anime-critic skills were pretty low at the time, but I remember thinking CLANNAD was too cheesy and even thought of dropping it after the first episode. And then I thought Kanon was an older, lamer clone of CLANNAD. I also dropped Mushishi after one episode, thinking it was pointless and too straightforward. Hell, I guess I don't have high expectations from any new anime (sequels etc. not included) I watch.

May 9, 2011 10:26 PM

Off the top of my head, Chobits and Kimi ni Todoke. Both romance animes, a genre that I'm not particularly a fan of, but both ended up showing me that true love does exist. And that's a big thing for a black hearted sarcastic bastard like myself.

May 10, 2011 12:51 AM

I never thought I'd end up liking Moshidora. I'm not much of a fan of baseball (I've already seen Cross Game) but I enjoyed it. Great series and I love the idea of airing it on a daily basis. Too bad it was only 10 episodes. If I had a day off, I'd finish it in just a few hours.

May 10, 2011 4:30 AM

gundam LOL, quite a few years back I thot it was really boring after seeing my brother watched it so I've always thot it was bad, i was wrong. I tried watching it 2 years ago was it? forgot which gundam but it was really good =p

May 10, 2011 8:32 AM
Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Never been a huge fan of mecha series, so I probably would not have picked this up if it had not been for all the hype, and I must say that I am very glad that I did. It showed me that mecha can be more than just giant robots beating each other up, and it was the reason I decided to watch TTGL and Code Geass later on.

Durarara
- It just sounded weird and boring. Turned out to be very pleasing.

Spice and Wolf
- Yet again I started watching this because of the hype around the series, which it very much deserves.

History's Strongest Diciple Kenichi
- I kind of like these kind of shounen series, but it often takes quite a while for me to finish them. I enden up marathoning this serie. So much fun.

Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blades Works
- I alwaus thought that the TV series was pretty damn overrated, but the movie that spawned from it was pretty epic.

May 10, 2011 9:19 AM

People told me Victory Gundam was bad, now it's becoming one of my favorite gundam series. Guess some people thought it was too sad and therefore bad.
I hate you all.

May 10, 2011 10:20 AM

Puella Magi Madoka Magica
- Before: "Ah, another magical girl anime. I'll just divert myself from this..."
- After: "My god. I don't think anything will best it in my opinion anymore."

Also, Higurashi
- Before: "It's about time I gave this killer-loli thing a whirl..."
- After: "That was... just amazing man."

May 12, 2011 4:36 AM
seirei no moribito:
-was like ,ah another stupid fantasy shiet. but ended up liking it a lot.. totally worth it
Spice and wolf:
-hmm,, ecchi? nekko mimi? tails?.. hell no, its medieval micro econ!!

May 12, 2011 8:42 AM

Axis Powers Hetalia.

I first discovered it when someone mentioned on Yahoo!Answers early 2009. I Wiki'd it several times and thought "Nah, I won't like it." I finally watched the first episode in August that year and instantly loved it. Since then I've drawn fanart, written fanfiction, joined an LJ comm and met some amazing people. It's one of my fave series now.
~Miss_Jazzalyn~

Pages (56) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »