Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 27, 2011 3:14 PM

May 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Tezuka is a fucking genius, always when I heard about Tezuka I immediately though of Astro Boy, but Ode to Kirihito & MW are just wonderful.

Now about this manga, I didn't like the ending, it wasn't a bad ending, but I don't like cliffhangers that don't have a sequel; killing Yuki slowly would have been a better ending. Still Yuki is one of my favorite characters, a psychopath dressing up as a woman and having sex with a Priest, I just love that. I will try to read more of Tezuka's mangas.
9/10 out of 10, If the ending was better a 10.
May 22, 2011 4:48 PM

Feb 2008
I didn't see the ending as being a cliffhanger - but it was meant to make you ponder a bit and feel creeped out. It would have been too predictable if he died. The story left me pondering about the MW bag floating in the water that's vulnerable to break, or if suki is going to expose that it's really yuki who survived, or if yuki has any murderous plots in him still.

I get the sense that this isn't the type of story that's meant to have a sense of justice or make you feel good afterwards; the whole story was creepy and wrong, so a creepy and wrong ending fits.

If you love MW you should totally read Monster next. Monster was definitely influenced by MW and I kept thinking about all the subtle similarities that Monster and MW have.
Nov 17, 2012 4:12 AM

Mar 2009
Overall this was pretty predictable the whole way through, and I didn't think much of the characters. Also, like most Tezuka manga, the women are all idiots. I didn't mind it, but I enjoyed other Tezuka manga more than this one. 6/10
Jan 15, 2017 6:44 PM

Dec 2015
I loved the ending!!!

Like I was so sure that it'd go for the cliche happy ending (although this one was also pretty stereotypical in a way) but I 'm also really glad that Garai died (wow that sure makes me sound mean but I hope you people understand what I mean)

Now the final connection to Monster is even stronger than I would've anticipated.

I loved Yuki and the series as a whole! And I'm satisified with the ending!

Seeing how others on this thread were rather disappointed with this one, I guess that my expectations could've been a lot lower or the connection to Monster just made it all much more enjoyable!
Sep 11, 2017 3:07 AM

Aug 2012
I honestly found that final twist so very predictable which was a shame. I honestly believe the 'happy' ending would have been better here because as a reader I had come to learn through this book that no matter what Michio will get away with it and as such the second he 'dies' on the plane I immediately knew that of course he hadn't. The happy ending would have actually have been more of a twist given the structure of the rest of the story.

I thought this was a solid thriller, a little silly in places and definitely weird in others but hey it's gekiga Tezuka so thats to be expected. MW might not be on the same level as Ode to Kirihito or Apollo's Song but it was fun and well paced.
Oct 27, 2017 5:45 PM

Sep 2014
dumb ending, how could they not tell the brothers apart and arrest the wrong one? It's not like they're identical twins. Especially the prosecutor of all people who couldn't recognize him in the end wtf

« »
đź”® Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Dec 30, 2019 2:03 PM

Jul 2016
Once again Tezuka doesn't let me down. Overall it was a serious and interesting thriller. I loved Garai and Yuki as characters and even though I feel like MW had some silly unlogical moments and characters making really dumb decisions I still enjoyed it from start to finish. Yes, the ending was predictable, anyone could see he would survive but I wouldn't have changed a thing. Yuki won his final gamble and once again displayed how manipulative he can be.

For a 70's thriller manga this was impressive. It's also worth mentioning this is the first yaoi manga I ever liked. Only Tezuka could make me enjoy this genre. 8/10 It's no Monster or Hi no Tori but it's worth the time for sure. And as others have mentioned already, it's clear that this work might have had some influence in Urasawa's Monster. Especially the
INU4SH4Nov 5, 2021 4:04 PM
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Jul 28, 2021 12:24 AM

Oct 2016
For what it is, and the year and the times that it was made... It's absolutely enthralling and I would say that overall a very clever and well done job (even though the author, Tezuka, in the epilogue says that maybe he didn't quite manage to capture everything he had in mind due to his "limited capacity of expression and narrative"). Of course it had its dose of illogical things, but I really don't think they did much damage to the story or what it was trying to convey. I really liked the way he explored the timeless themes that he delves into and how many historical things that happened in the 20th century and to humanity overall influence his work. The first manga I read by Osamu Tezuka and didn't disappointed me. I started with the one that I thought I might like and I'm happy to say that I certainly did. I would say it's a "classic". I will probably reread it over time. :)
ZaToSisCloCkJul 28, 2021 12:43 AM
Nov 4, 2021 5:08 PM
Feb 2020
INU4SH4 said:

For a And as others have mentioned already, it's clear that this work might have had some influence in Urasawa's Monster. Especially (…)

How could you spoil the Monster ending? :/ Next time please use a spoiler warning.

Maybe you want to change your comment about the ending, so others dont get spoiled.
Jungle_KingNov 5, 2021 6:32 AM
Nov 4, 2021 5:56 PM

Jul 2016
Jungle_King said:
INU4SH4 said:

For a And as others have mentioned already, it's clear that this work might have had some influence in Urasawa's Monster. Especially the villain and ending.

How could you spoil the Monster ending? :/ I bought all volumes and was about to read them soon.. This sucks :/ Next time please use a spoiler warning.

Maybe you want to change your comment about the ending, so others dont get spoiled.

I'm sorry, I could have put it in a different way. The endings just gave me a similar feel, but I can assure you they're pretty different as far as I remember.

Edit: I've only said I can see some influence on the ending but I put it under spoiler tag anyway.
INU4SH4Nov 5, 2021 4:07 PM
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Nov 4, 2021 6:30 PM
Feb 2020
INU4SH4 said:
Jungle_King said:

How could you spoil the Monster ending? :/ I bought all volumes and was about to read them soon.. This sucks :/ Next time please use a spoiler warning.

I'm sorry, I could have put it in a different way. The endings just gave me a similar feel, but I can assure you they're pretty different as far as I remember.

It‘s okay. Maybe you want to use (…) instead of your spoiler or delete it altogether, so others dont get spoiled :)
Sep 4, 2022 2:05 PM

May 2010
I guess I kind of expected this type of ending. It wasn't bad, but I didn't really like how the third volume focused on the big action scenes. It felt more like James Bond movie, only it was the bad guy that kept getting away with everything lol, not very rewarding.

It's a shame Yuki's brother didn't play bigger role, instead of showing up at the last minute.

While I definitely enjoyed the darkness of this manga, many of the drawings, and was at times shocked by explicitly of some scenes - I was also quite disappointed with the conclusion of the main political intrigue. 7/10

And god, did Tezuka write ANY decent series, where the women weren't either utterly stupid or abused psychologically/sexually by men? It gets more and more irritating with each new manga I read...
Jun 25, 2023 4:18 PM

Jan 2017
Really loved this, Yuuki and Garai were great. The ending wasn't amazing but not bad either. Much, much better than Monster and it's awful conclusion.
It would have been better if Yuuki had been impacted by Garai's death in some way, or just let him die and have Tamanojo act as a metaphor for a reformed/good Yuuki. In a story as literal as this a more subtle ending would balance things out a bit.
That last grin from Yuuki reminded me a lot of Perfect Blue's ending as well.

More topics from this board

Poll: » MW Chapter 9 Discussion

Jacksnapp - Jan 15, 2017

1 by wimu »»
Jan 11, 2023 2:50 PM

Poll: » MW Chapter 5 Discussion

Jacksnapp - Jan 15, 2017

1 by wimu »»
Jan 10, 2023 8:48 AM

Poll: » MW Chapter 23 Discussion

Jacksnapp - Jan 15, 2017

1 by ZaToSisCloCk »»
Jul 25, 2021 7:09 PM

Poll: » MW Chapter 17 Discussion

Jacksnapp - Jan 15, 2017

1 by ZaToSisCloCk »»
Jul 21, 2021 11:08 PM

Poll: » MW Chapter 12 Discussion

Jacksnapp - Jan 15, 2017

2 by Jacksnapp »»
Feb 14, 2019 4:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.