Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 15, 2008 3:31 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So it seems that the Count had come kind of past connection to Albert's mother. I wonder if he's vengeance is with her or with Albert's father.
Sep 10, 2008 4:33 PM

Jun 2008
Ahh looks liek I was right!! >_<
I hope the Count doesn't plan to take anything out on Albert... that would be sad. >.>
I wonder if the mom lost her memory or something.

I wanna download the ending song now... it's pwns so hard. =D

Sig WILL change soon~
Nov 23, 2008 2:18 PM

Jun 2008
Man, I'm also wondering how this'll turn out. I knew the count had some kind of ulterior motive with befriending him.
Apr 6, 2009 4:31 AM

Jan 2009
StabbyPWNS said:

I wanna download the ending song now... it's pwns so hard.

Rather than the ending i love the opening, but of course the ending is also great.

Anyway that Monte Cristo's entrance gave me the chills, what a fucking awesome scene. So yeah im wondering what kind of past have Edmond, in my opinion Albert's mother just looks like the woman that he is looking for (?). Maybe... who knows? And i love Franz, his attitude is cold and cool at the same time, but i know its because Edmond coming to Paris.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Jul 22, 2009 1:45 AM
Nov 2007
intense ending :S
Aug 30, 2009 11:26 AM

Jun 2009
The count's entrance was handled well, as was Albert's mother. I'm intrigued.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 22, 2009 4:12 PM

Jul 2008
StabbyPWNS said:
I wanna download the ending song now... it's pwns so hard. =D
Same here. The OP is nice and everything but the ED is amazing, especially with the animation.
Mikiyo said:
And i love Franz, his attitude is cold and cool at the same time
Franz is kind of awesome in my opinion. :D

BEGINNER
Mar 16, 2010 2:54 PM

Feb 2010
If you have read "The Count of Monte Cristo" you can basically fig out what Albert's mother has to do with the count.

This take on the story is so intriguing... the count fascinates me!
Mar 21, 2010 12:41 AM

Nov 2007
Hmm well from the flashbacks you would think that Albert's mother and the count know each other yet there is no flash of recognition from the meeting just then. Hmm ... =/
May 7, 2010 6:20 AM
Nov 2009
Mikiyo said:
StabbyPWNS said:

Rather than the ending i love the opening, but of course the ending is also great.

Anyway that Monte Cristo's entrance gave me the chills, what a fucking awesome scene. So yeah im wondering what kind of past have Edmond, in my opinion Albert's mother just looks like the woman that he is looking for (?). Maybe... who knows? And i love Franz, his attitude is cold and cool at the same time, but i know its because Edmond coming to Paris.

Yeah, that entrances was damn awesome !!!!

I think the mother of albert cant recognize him because he maybe changed his face or something like that.
May 28, 2010 11:06 PM

Feb 2010
So they finally meet again...

Guys, you should read the Count of Monte Cristo :'D
Jan 11, 2011 11:09 AM

Dec 2008
Mikiyo said:

Anyway that Monte Cristo's entrance gave me the chills, what a fucking awesome scene.

Yes, indeed! The Count is SO smooth!
I like Maximilian! Albert seems a bit too trusting and naive. Franz seems cool, but those other two got on my nerves.
Feb 16, 2011 11:55 AM

Sep 2008
insan3soldiern said:
The count's entrance was handled well, as was Albert's mother. I'm intrigued.

This. I'm super curious now and wondering if the Count has "unfinished business" with Albert's family... or a vendetta... and is planning to take revenge, perhaps by manipulating Albert? So intriguing!
Mar 22, 2011 7:27 PM

Feb 2010
Hmm... I pictured Mercedes and Fernand to be lighter in skin... But I gotta remember it being an adaptation.
And, yes, Count's entrance was awesome. And I laughed at Peppo being one of Albert's servant girls.
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Oct 18, 2012 1:15 PM

Mar 2010
intresting episode
cant wait :p
Dec 13, 2012 1:26 PM

May 2012
So they're in Paris now, okey well new characters are introduced not really to much to see with those... though the pictures and voice recording of the count was rather interesting he's like a vampire or something? And what connection would he have with Albert's mother?

Also Peppo seems to be involved for later story development as well!
Dec 28, 2012 8:12 PM
Oct 2012
Count it definitely has something to do with the past Albert's mother ... Everything seems to be the same as in the original novel,'' The Count of Monte Cristo'' ... As for the episode, finish is very promising ... Definitely worth a look and the next episode.
Jul 5, 2013 7:05 AM

Mar 2013
My theory is that Albert's mum and the Count were lovers and that Albert's mum left him for Albert's dad. I think the Count compute everything so he could meet Albert and let him take revenge on his parents eventually.

But I'm probably not right, since I have a huge imagination.
Jul 6, 2013 3:59 PM

Jan 2013
Da Count's entrance, like a boss.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Sep 14, 2013 1:19 AM

Dec 2012
Hmm, I wonder if there's going to be an affair between Valentine and that soldier. She seemed reserved and dull around Franz but more open and warm with the soldier. I also wonder what Monte Christo's connection to Albert's mother is.

And maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I wonder if Albert is going to end up having an affair with Peppo, despite being a boy :p.
Nov 2, 2013 1:27 AM

Mar 2012
Man the Count is such an awesome character. Also like how Peppo is back lol.
Mar 13, 2014 8:53 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching)

The boring-est episode in the series... bratty kids whining about their inheritance.

The scene where the count walks in with the lights out... very nicely done.
Mar 30, 2014 9:15 PM

Jan 2013
Cabron said:
Da Count's entrance, like a boss.

That was one ice cool entrance allright.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 11, 2014 4:40 PM

Aug 2012
The music says it all. Something is definitely hidden between the count and the mother.
Apr 18, 2014 7:07 PM
Mar 2014
so far the first episode was the best one....2nd and 3rd episode have been underwhelming and very boring up until the last part at least...
Apr 28, 2014 9:52 AM
Oct 2011
Aniki1990 said:
Hmm... I pictured Mercedes and Fernand to be lighter in skin... But I gotta remember it being an adaptation.
And, yes, Count's entrance was awesome. And I laughed at Peppo being one of Albert's servant girls.
Well they're Catalans in the books, so I guess it's not that weird.

An interesting take on the setting there. They seperated the societies in a pretty interesting way (through a wall). Still though, I'm surprised with how accurate a lot of things are to the books, which makes the watch even more fun.
Jul 25, 2015 2:17 AM

Oct 2013
This is easily the classiest anime I've ever seen and might ever see. The first half of the episode was rather boring for sure, but it still oozes class. Everything about this series makes it obvious it's an adaption of a 19th century novel, from the social babble of the characters to their haughty attitude to THAT FRIGGIN MANSION, MAN. And what was that crazy scenery when they were looking beyond the "wall" (whatever that is)?

The Count is such a suave, cool dude. I wonder if the woman the Count was rambling about in one of the previous episodes happens to be Albert's mother. What if Albert is the Count's bastard son? ho ho ho

P.S. The OP is incredible and sets the perfect tone for the series. Probably the classiest anime OP I've ever seen and might ever see, too. I love it.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jul 27, 2015 1:05 AM

Jan 2014
Such sexy parents. Albert must be adopted.
Or just a bad mix of human and vampire genes.
Sep 5, 2015 12:20 PM

Aug 2012
Yeah that entrance was awesome, I was really surprised
Sep 15, 2015 12:35 PM

Jul 2013
I love the OP and ED too by the guy from The Stranglers lol <3

Yeah, looks like it's his parents he wants revenge on.

I'm guessing the Count didn't look like that before, because he wasn't a vampire/demon before and so they don't recognise him.
Oct 24, 2015 9:28 AM
May 2012
Dafuq is wrong with those 2?? They both have a really nice fiance, especially Franz.

Mikiyo said:
StabbyPWNS said:

Yeah, opening song is great, and that entrance, too.
The Count's face probably changed or something, that's why she can't recognize him.
Jan 5, 2016 8:02 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Another great episode !
But Valentine's voice was pretty shit imo.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 8, 2016 10:37 PM

Jan 2013
Vampires and aliens. Interesting setting, half the time it feels like its taking place in the 19th century.
Jun 11, 2016 11:21 AM

Feb 2016
The face expression of the count at the end says more than words could do. The fact that his voice hadn't been recorded as well as the fact that he wasn't on the photo are adding up to the mystery that surrounds him.
Oct 7, 2016 1:37 AM

Sep 2014
The Count's entrance was truly astonishing, fits him perfectly.
Dec 15, 2016 2:55 PM

Jun 2013
This was kind of a slow episode. There might be no use in doing this, but I'll go through these new characters anyway. On Albert's friends: I don't like the tabloid reporter and the public servant, they're pretty much rich frat bros ("like tossing food to a monkey" vaguely creepy), but they can still become interesting. We also get the plucky space soldier with a touch of xenophobia. Then there's the woman with the gentle disposition and Albert's fiancée, the latter seems to be the one who seems to contrast Albert with her less idealistic approach to things.

Although it was not very exciting to listen to these rich freeloaders having a picnic and an afternoon tea, their conversations at least contributed to the world building. On Earth, there are vast areas of poverty or desolation, and smaller, isolated spots where the upper-class people reside.

Also, an empire on galactic scales is a thing. If there's an empire, there is a war. If there is a war, there is dehumanization of the enemy: whether the alien resistance consists of sentient beings is apparently under debate. I didn't read the novel, but Wikipedia told me the historical setting was a fundamental element of the book, so I'm guessing these themes came from the source material as well.

I kind of like the gentle giant captain, I'd hate to find out he's not as nice as he looks.

The Count's monolog in his carriage was super serious, it was almost funny how much the tone shifted before and after that scene. He's looking for revenge, and he's suffering, I guess? He definitely knows Albert's mother. And he can redact himself from photos and voice recordings, wonder how he does that.
Dec 22, 2016 6:29 PM

Aug 2014
Looks like the story is going to kick off soon, I read the show is supposed to be in the 1815 era, yet i see cars and technology lol, maybe the adaptation was not meant to be faithful, no problem with that, i never read the main novel anyway but i hope they use the "additions" in a creative way.
Feb 15, 2017 5:31 AM

Oct 2012
Pretty sure he's a vampire xD
Have no reflection.. I don't know that even Vampire's voice can't be recorded
"Signature removed"
Feb 19, 2017 10:15 PM

Mar 2015
Telltale signs of a vamp right there

Plus he's got a past with Albert's mum?!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 4, 2017 4:58 AM

Feb 2013
We are pretty sure that he is a vampire now.
I thought that he was in love with Albert's mother, but those aren't the eyes of a lover.
Sep 5, 2018 10:01 AM

Apr 2014
The musical score in this show is enough to make it a 10/10. The correct placement of a choir is insane and I love it.
Feb 3, 2019 3:38 PM

May 2016
Relationships here are quite complicated. Albert's engaged to Eugenia but they clearly hate each other and the former's cheating on her with traps, Valentine's engaged to Franz but she's getting really friendly with Captain Maxmilian during the luncheon, and Gankutsuou's whole revenge plot against Albert's mother who most likely broke his heart and ended up with another man.

His friends are really suspicious of the Count and tried to get some dirt on him but his vampire powers prevented them from getting a single recording. I have to say that I agree with the idea that they might be the ones who are sealed by the walls they've built because the landscape's just dreary and unsettling in the facility.

Oct 30, 2019 6:29 AM
Jan 2019
the setting suddenly became Sci-Fi and when I look at the genre it really a sci-Fi I never notice
so the count is a vampire I expected that coming from episode 2
May 21, 2020 1:34 PM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
I think Albert likes the Count because the freedom the count has. He is Alberts role model. The count hates Alberts dad I bet and used to love his mom but, that doesn’t explain these mysterious powers he has because a simple love affair don’t have magic involved last I checked.
Sep 22, 2021 3:18 AM

Aug 2020
Wow, that background of that city looks so damn good and unique.

I felt quite bored watching this episode, but that ending though. Now things are about to get serious.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Mar 28, 2022 2:59 AM

May 2021
Alright so it went from moon-colonization to galaxy-wide civlization. Love how the world keeps expanding episode by episode.
And the Count has the power to redact himself from photos and voice recordings. I wonder exactly what kind of a supernatural being he is, ghost or vampire.

Apr 23, 2022 10:08 AM
Nov 2020
My favorite part of the pacing is that it reminds me of a Spanish soap opera so it always ends in a perfect cliffhanger that leaves you wanting to see the next episode
Sep 2, 2022 1:19 AM

Jun 2020
Now this is what I'm talking about! This is a great episode. I loved how great it turned out. The art style is somehow better, and characters actually feel human. If this show continues and gets better in the same manner of this episode, it would be great. Loved the music at the end.

Jun 7, 2023 11:45 PM

Jan 2021
Now, now... the Count is not really a human. His hands were cold like a corpse, the voice recorder could not record his voice and the camera could not take his picture. He was not invisible but also left no trace. Bet that Albert would still not believe it all even if his friends had proof, aside from his naivety he also looked like he had been hypnotized by the Count.

The most obvious thing is that his ears definitely don't look like human ears lol. But there's a possibility... he was once a human named Edmond? And that "Gankutsuou" is another being inside him...?

Aug 21, 2023 3:25 PM
Aug 2022
This is so Terry Gilliam. I didn't expect that.

I mean look at that Paris, just look at it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

TuzoAnime - Jun 13, 2008

172 by KrispyKlub »»
Apr 5, 5:45 AM

» About the Ending of Gankutsuou [Spoilers]

DeactivatedProbe - May 29, 2021

2 by scrapegoat »»
Feb 19, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Jun 14, 2008

94 by KuroGFX »»
Feb 6, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

StabbyPWNS - Nov 3, 2008

120 by Leongolleyn »»
Dec 29, 2023 5:48 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 13 Discussion

Mikiyo - Apr 8, 2009

45 by nicissad »»
Oct 5, 2023 10:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.