Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (31) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Apr 22, 2011 3:42 PM

Dec 2010
Just check this out for a moment, because I just had a shiver go up my spine.

I made this during the last week, and finished it three days ago. It was the first time I ever did anything like this. I had, of course, not the slightest clue Madoka would end like this, and would never have guessed it.

But now I'm scared, because it turned out to be ironic, at off-the-chart levels. Seriously, I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

"Tonight, I sit in the eye of the storm. As fire boils around me, I press forward, winds and lightning lashing my wings. I am no match for what I face. Yet I will not back down, and though fear may place it's stranglehold on my heart, courage will see me through. With tears in my eyes, I hit full throttle. My engines become an inferno, and my weapons light up, awaiting my command.

If I die tonight, I will do so fighting for everything I believe in."

Apr 22, 2011 4:36 PM

Jun 2009
Geeh, This is to sad dammmmmmmmmmmmmmn. It's an awesome ending but how should i feel about it, happy or sad? Feel sorry for Madoka doing all that stuff must be... Can't describe it >.< ...awful?

*sigh* Anyway, didn't expect such surprising/confusing ending but it's still awesome(epic)-/-cruel(sad) Anime!
This should be recommended for everyone lol 9/10

Apr 22, 2011 4:40 PM

Apr 2011
After giving it a few hours to digest, I have gathered my thoughts on the anime as well as the storyline. I'm the type that enjoys details, so here's some of the things I noticed about the finale that bothered me.

Episode 11 Homura vs. Walpurgis was by far the most enjoyable fight scene in the anime. It was great to see the thought and effort Homura put into her planning, to absolutely no avail. This brings up questions:

Homura has become progressively stronger as each timeline passed, maybe not Madoka's level of growth, but she certainly went from using trinkets to now having dozens of rocket launchers/C4, and the like. Despite all this, she was still completely steamrolled. If this was the case in all the previous timelines as well, I believe Homura should have realized the gap in power between her and Walpurgis a long time ago. Homura is far more potent than any of the other magical girls - her weapons far exceed the others (sword, lance, muskets). Combined with her ridiculous time stopping ability, and she has no trouble taking out their whole group by herself. That being said, it was ridiculous that Kyubei mentioned that now that Kyoko is gone, Homura didn't stand a chance. Kyoko wouldn't have been able to do a thing against Walpurgis.

Ironically enough, the increase in Madoka's strength as timelines go by is exponential - Madoka had nowhere near the power in the previous timelines as she did in this one. The "nice boat" ending I was expecting was for Madoka to completely overpower Walpurgis, and to have a MadokaxHomura ending where they continue to fight witches as if nothing happened. I believe Homura would have been perfectly satisfied with such an ending as well.

This is the ending I understand from the finale and the current situation in the universe: Madoka went back to save all the magical girls from turning into witches - However, those who turned into witches were not completely wiped from existence, but rather simply died a more gentle death. I say this because Kyubei mentioned that if not for magical girls, mankind might still be in caves. All of the previous girls (Cleoparta, Joan of Arc among others) retained their existence and still brought about the world today, the only difference being they were granted a peaceful death. Obviously this brings about the time paradox of, but if all the magical girls that were supposed to become witches did not, wouldn't the world be far different today anyways, since their havoc and destruction on the world was never wrought? Yes, it should be. Was this overlooked or just brushed aside? Oh well.

Because of this "attempt" to stay somewhat on current timeline, Sayaka stayed dead. Kyoko and Mami, while still magical girls, were never mentioned again in the ending, which is incredibly dumb in my opinion. Homura powers v2.0 were granted by Madoka. If Madoka as a deity can grant powers as she pleases, she didn't think to help her other comrades, Kyoko and Mami with a power boost as well? It's like having a god that plays favors and only helps besties.

Honestly, I feel like the ending was not that much different than the bad endings in the timelines before. Madoka still died - people still die from demons just as they did witches. Every single magical girl far in the past still died (Everyone eventually turns into a witch, so they were all granted release when the event happened instead of witch-mode hysteria). The only people that benefited from this timeline were current magical girls that are still alive, and magical-girls-to-be that won't suffer the witch route. Was her wish universe changing despite rewriting the rules of the universe? Not really. Was it even world changing? Hardly. Madoka could have done much, much more if she had the powers to time travel as a deity - end world hunger, cure the world's diseases, even send mankind to the stars. She could have had anything she wanted. Despite the animation's attempt to make her wish well thought out, I don't think it was. She had far better options.

Interestingly, now that soul gems can't be dirtied (Magical girls can't be turned into witches), does that make magical girls invincible now, since they can simply keep using magic to heal themselves? As Kyubei mentioned, with enough magic power in reserve, any wound can be healed.

Overall, an outstanding anime that took an original path with the best climactic build-up I've had the privilege to watch in a good while, let down by a lackluster ending with too many plot holes. And eesh. Wrote much more than I had planned to.

tl;dr: 8/10.
Apr 22, 2011 5:01 PM
May 2009
HideousPride said:
This is the ending I understand from the finale and the current situation in the universe: Madoka went back to save all the magical girls from turning into witches - However, those who turned into witches were not completely wiped from existence, but rather simply died a more gentle death. I say this because Kyubei mentioned that if not for magical girls, mankind might still be in caves. All of the previous girls (Cleoparta, Joan of Arc among others) retained their existence and still brought about the world today, the only difference being they were granted a peaceful death. Obviously this brings about the time paradox of, but if all the magical girls that were supposed to become witches did not, wouldn't the world be far different today anyways, since their havoc and destruction on the world was never wrought? Yes, it should be. Was this overlooked or just brushed aside? Oh well.

Because of this "attempt" to stay somewhat on current timeline, Sayaka stayed dead. Kyoko and Mami, while still magical girls, were never mentioned again in the ending, which is incredibly dumb in my opinion. Homura powers v2.0 were granted by Madoka. If Madoka as a deity can grant powers as she pleases, she didn't think to help her other comrades, Kyoko and Mami with a power boost as well? It's like having a god that plays favors and only helps besties.

Honestly, I feel like the ending was not that much different than the bad endings in the timelines before. Madoka still died - people still die from demons just as they did witches. Every single magical girl far in the past still died (Everyone eventually turns into a witch, so they were all granted release when the event happened instead of witch-mode hysteria). The only people that benefited from this timeline were current magical girls that are still alive, and magical-girls-to-be that won't suffer the witch route. Was her wish universe changing despite rewriting the rules of the universe? Not really. Was it even world changing? Hardly. Madoka could have done much, much more if she had the powers to time travel as a deity - end world hunger, cure the world's diseases, even send mankind to the stars. She could have had anything she wanted. Despite the animation's attempt to make her wish well thought out, I don't think it was. She had far better options.

Interestingly, now that soul gems can't be dirtied (Magical girls can't be turned into witches), does that make magical girls invincible now, since they can simply keep using magic to heal themselves? As Kyubei mentioned, with enough magic power in reserve, any wound can be healed.

Overall, an outstanding anime that took an original path with the best climactic build-up I've had the privilege to watch in a good while, let down by a lackluster ending with too many plot holes. And eesh. Wrote much more than I had planned to.

tl;dr: 8/10.

My understanding of a few things.

I also find Sayaka's death a bit strange, I mean, she didn't turn into a witch, and it's not like Magical Girls turn into demons, because those are from humanity's hatred and sorrow. So yes, soul gems cannot be dirtied, it fact, I believe that they make the equivalent of grief seeds, which QB feeds upon. In theory, yeah, magical girls must be invincible through orthodox means of being magical girls. But, Mami or Kyoko said, "She wasted all of her energy on that attack". I'm not one to ask why she's attacking her friends, because she's not a witch, but I believe it's almost the same as Magical Girl Suicide.

I believe Homura does the same at the very end after the credits. You know, in the desert, which I believe is the world destroyed by demons.

Also, yeah, I don't believe Madoka was trying to save the world, in fact, her wish was kind of vague. Yes she wished for there to be no witches, but she could've said "I wish there would be no need for Magical Girls", probably leading to a happy hug-filled end, which is what they were obviously trying to avoid. Or in fact, the wish would've been granted in some way that there would still be problems.

So a wish with no witches means that something else has to take the role of what embodies all ill feelings in the world, being the demons. But I believe Madoka's wish was directly aiming at the world, and mainly Magical Girls. Where Magical Girls wouldn't have to turn into the evil they fought in the end, while also trying to protect people from there being no witches. Which was foolhardy and had some unlikely consequences (world being reduced to nothing?).

Yeah, good build-up, plot holes, but that's what keeps your engines revving.
Apr 22, 2011 5:10 PM

Jul 2010
Amazing ending to this series! Just wish it didn't get delayed this long but what can ya do? I'll have to rewatch the show from the beginning when the blu-rays start coming out. They'll be hot sellers!
Apr 22, 2011 5:18 PM

Nov 2007
HideousPride said:
Homura has become progressively stronger as each timeline passed, maybe not Madoka's level of growth, but she certainly went from using trinkets to now having dozens of rocket launchers/C4, and the like. Despite all this, she was still completely steamrolled. If this was the case in all the previous timelines as well, I believe Homura should have realized the gap in power between her and Walpurgis a long time ago.

She stocked up many weapons over the time loops without ever using them, waiting for a time where she felt it would be her best/last chance to save Madoka. So until now, she had only ever half-assed her attempts to beat Walpurgis. That makes it rather hard to gauge its power. She never once hit Walpurgis with anything like she did in this timeline. Add the fact she was physically weaker then most Mahou Shoujos, and seemed to have a lower mana capacity then everyone besides Sayaka, she really had no chance of even fighting until now.

HideousPride said:
Homura is far more potent than any of the other magical girls - her weapons far exceed the others (sword, lance, muskets). Combined with her ridiculous time stopping ability, and she has no trouble taking out their whole group by herself.

That's your perception. All Madoka has is a freakin bow that fires magic missiles. But depending on what timeline we're talking about here it has a lot more power then a rocket launcher considering she stopped Walpurgis once in a single shot, without wishing it away.

HideousPride said:
That being said, it was ridiculous that Kyubei mentioned that now that Kyoko is gone, Homura didn't stand a chance. Kyoko wouldn't have been able to do a thing against Walpurgis.

Kyubey has a better idea how powerful Walpurgis is, being the one responsible for overseeing its transformation into a witch, but that doesn't mean he knows in exact terms how powerful it is, because he never fought it himself. It also goes back to your perception of what strength is. Madoka's arrow was superior to pure explosive firepower, and Kyouko cut Oktavia's arm off in a clean swing, but an explosive did virtually nothing when Homura first showed up in episode 9. We also don't know what Kyouko's full potential was, I don't think she was ever pushed into showing it. She only died against Oktavia because she wanted to sacrifice herself, but she could have won easily. We don't know if we saw every spell she's capable of, and those giant spears could have been summoned in vast numbers, which could have been damaging. Kyubey said she was a rare genius with plenty of experience backing her, and that if anyone could put a stop to her it would be Madoka. Don't forget that the explosion that took out Oktavia was from Kyouko and was what resulted in her soul gem shattering, it wasn't the result of the gem shattering. Which means she can possibly use it on demand, what killed her was the fact she intentionally placed the gem and herself in the path of the explosion.

HideousPride said:
Honestly, I feel like the ending was not that much different than the bad endings in the timelines before. Madoka still died - people still die from demons just as they did witches. Every single magical girl far in the past still died (Everyone eventually turns into a witch, so they were all granted release when the event happened instead of witch-mode hysteria). The only people that benefited from this timeline were current magical girls that are still alive, and magical-girls-to-be that won't suffer the witch route. Was her wish universe changing despite rewriting the rules of the universe? Not really. Was it even world changing? Hardly.

That's the point, and a large part of what makes it good. You should never make a deal with the devil, even if you think you're in some way improving the world. That's part of the story, and something they stuck to even when it was the main character making the wish. It also goes back to the "Hope creates an equal amount of despair", even the godly Madoka with all of her Deus ex Machina hacks going at once couldn't break this rule and premise of the show. Her wish, while granting hope to some, put an equal amount of despair back into the world. Nothing could change that, not even plot armor or godly powers. This isn't a happy ending, it isn't an ending where everything is wrapped up neatly, it's neutral at best with not much changing.The series went full circle while sticking to its premise, there's nothing wrong with that, and it's what you should expect from a show if it's writen well.

HideousPride said:

They wont become witches, doesn't mean that they don't use up energy and eventually disappear. Notice how after seeing Mami and Kyouko come back we see Homura working on her own again? I'm willing to bet that the other two didn't last very long in this world, especially given the increased number of 'demons' compared to the witches as before. They also seem to be less efficient not just for Kyubey but for Mahou Shoujos. Homura absorbed power from like 10 of them at once in order to restore her energy, and the new grief seeds are noticably smaller. This system is probably harder to operate under even if they're easier to kill to compensate. Some people also point out that Homura's wings initially look angelic, but by the end scene they're distorted, like a witch barrier. This probably suggests Homura has been reaching her limit and will soon disappear.

And about Sayaka staying dead, she was revived, you see one of those new demon things burning as Kyouko asks where Sayaka is, and we find out she used up all of her power and disappeared, because of the new system. The only thing that's vague here is just how she was protecting the concert for Kamijo, as that was apparently her intent, because she didn't seem to be anywhere near it. Anyways, she did revive, but died again using her power and disappearing under the rules of the new system.
ThalosApr 22, 2011 5:21 PM
Apr 22, 2011 5:41 PM

Dec 2010
This ending was a emotional one. I was kinda hoping for more of a happy ending but it guess that was impossible no matter how you looked at it.
Although, i am very satisfied with this end, they finished it nicely.
I am just confused about some things.
soo, madoka sacrificed herself so she could become the new mother nature and overlooks everything. The Mahou shojous around the world who were becoming Witches didnt because her wish was that there were no witches. They die a more peaceful way without the burden of becoming what they were fighting, witches.
Time didnt go back but she was erased from a being so nobody remembers her except Homura. Kyoko and friends are alive? But Sayaka is still dead because she used up 'all her magic'?? i dont get that.
Madoka is more of a Guardian Angel of the world now.
BUT, because there are no Witches 'Magical Beats' are born? SO the MS girls who are alive are still fighting them without the danger of becoming evil, but they have to be aware that if they use up all their magic they will die?
hmm. I actually dont get a LOT of things.
And what did the ending scene mean....? Wings? hmmm
COnfused..
ALTHOUGH i didnt understand a lot of things, i still enjoyed watching it and it was a really good story. I am glad that i watched this.
Apr 22, 2011 6:03 PM

Sep 2010
SurferDude said:
So, basically, a wish cannot bring a dead person back to life, but it CAN remake the fabric of the Universe. Way to go, SHAFT! Let loose the trolls of war.
Still, it was an enjoyable show so I give it a 7+1(for the shock in episode 3)=8. A very good series, but not a masterpiece and definitely NOT "the best anime ever made" as some people call it.
Looking forward to a spin-off/sequel/whatever.

I think you can not directly wish a person back to life, but you can cleverly ask a wish to make the same effect happen.
Apr 22, 2011 6:15 PM

Nov 2007
"I'll be able to do things even you can't, Kyubey? I'll be able to return Sayaka's body back to normal?" "That would be no difficulty at all."

Madoka and Kyubey's discussion from episode 8. I don't think he was lying, Madoka had the potential to wish for things like that from the beginning. It's just that Kyubey cant compensate for a lack of power, you yourself need to have the potential. It probably helps to use word play when making your wish too. Although you'd need to be careful about what the end result is. Granted she wasn't dead yet, but I think the potential is there, as an 'omnipotent goddess'.
Apr 22, 2011 6:15 PM

Jun 2008

YOU ROCK~! I LOVE YOU~!

Visit our website at http://www.animeotakucorner.com
Apr 22, 2011 6:29 PM

Apr 2011
Benatron said:

Also, yeah, I don't believe Madoka was trying to save the world, in fact, her wish was kind of vague. Yes she wished for there to be no witches, but she could've said "I wish there would be no need for Magical Girls", probably leading to a happy hug-filled end, which is what they were obviously trying to avoid. Or in fact, the wish would've been granted in some way that there would still be problems.

I have to agree here, as much as the ending was ehh to me, a happy hug-filled end where everything is just magically resolved would've have been far worse.

Thalos said:

She stocked up many weapons over the time loops without ever using them, waiting for a time where she felt it would be her best/last chance to save Madoka. So until now, she had only ever half-assed her attempts to beat Walpurgis. That makes it rather hard to gauge its power. She never once hit Walpurgis with anything like she did in this timeline. Add the fact she was physically weaker then most Mahou Shoujos, and seemed to have a lower mana capacity then everyone besides Sayaka, she really had no chance of even fighting until now.

I have to disagree here. It's fairly clear Homura always gives it her all. The last timeline before this one, it was clear she was desperately fighting to try and prevent Madoka from contracting. Her love for Madoka wouldn't allow her to give any less than her best in any given timeline. Although they showed a few of the previous timelines, the way Kyubei and Madoka talk about her sacrifice alludes to the idea that it has already actually been many many more timelines than has been shown. All-in-all, I believe Homura has a very clear idea of what she's up against. Then the only character driven possibility would be that she refuses to give up no matter how stacked/impossible the odds are.

Thalos said:
HideousPride said:
Homura is far more potent than any of the other magical girls - her weapons far exceed the others (sword, lance, muskets). Combined with her ridiculous time stopping ability, and she has no trouble taking out their whole group by herself.

That's your perception. All Madoka has is a freakin bow that fires magic missiles. But depending on what timeline we're talking about here it has a lot more power then a rocket launcher considering she stopped Walpurgis once in a single shot, without wishing it away.

I believe pre-Witch wise, no magical girl has the slightest chance against Homura. In the one timeline when Mami went bonkers, we saw her instantly take out Kyoko with a single well place shot to the soul gem. This makes it seem as if the soul gem is the weak point of their immortality - it obviously is. Just by being far away from it, a magical girl "dies". In a gruesome situation if Homura ever chose to, her ability to stop time, which allows her free potshots as we saw when Homura took out Witch Sayaka in an alternate timeline, would allow her to either snatch other soul gems and smash it or simply rocket launcher them in the face.

Thalos said:

That's the point, and a large part of what makes it good. You should never make a deal with the devil, even if you think you're in some way improving the world. That's part of the story, and something they stuck to even when it was the main character making the wish. It also goes back to the "Hope creates an equal amount of despair", even the godly Madoka with all of her Deus ex Machina hacks going at once couldn't break this rule and premise of the show. Her wish, while granting hope to some, put an equal amount of despair back into the world. Nothing could change that, not even plot armor or godly powers. This isn't a happy ending, it isn't an ending where everything is wrapped up neatly, it's neutral at best with not much changing.The series went full circle while sticking to its premise, there's nothing wrong with that, and it's what you should expect from a show if it's writen well.

In the end though, Incubators are not comparable to the devil. If what they said is to be believed, they are actually responsible for maintaining the balance in the universe. After the universe shift, we see Kyubei in a supporting role to Homura - they talk and get along. Incubators have a hidden agenda, but their purpose is "good". They also do have a point about sacrificing few to save many - it's a moral conundrum, but it certainly doesn't make them the "bad guys". I agree that a rainbow and flowers ending would have ruined what the series built up, but I suppose we can agree to disagree on the definition of a good ending for this series is.

Thanks for bringing up the points you did, I did not notice Sayaka fading away. [: I enjoy discussions because there are definitely little things like that I missed that others have caught.
HideousPrideApr 22, 2011 6:35 PM
Apr 22, 2011 6:33 PM

Nov 2007
I do agree in a one-on-one situation Homura, simply because of the nature of her power, has a great advantage. But she doesn't have the physical strength or speed (without the use of time freeze) to use swords or other melee weapons and she lacks the raw energy to use weapons that channel your power like Madoka's or Mami's so to me that is her weakness. Without storing firearms she cannot fight, so to measure how serious she is you have to look at what kind of arsenal she pulls out, only by that can you judge how hard she is fighting.

Against the prior Walpurgis Night in episodes 1 and 10 she wasn't shown using a large arsenal at all and given how many weapons she had stocked up I would say she constantly kept a large reserve for a trump card incase she ever had a good or otherwise really bad feeling about the timeline she was in. Without using that she was never fighting to her fullest.

What I'm trying to get at here is that the size of her arsenal could not be gathered in just two or three loops without extreme difficulty. That's ignoring the explosives and other weapons she uses on a day to day basis fighting witches and harassing Kyubey. So to me, she has been saving up for a long time, never using too many. So that at any given time, without warning, she is always ready for an extremely good or extremely bad situation, without need to prepare and risk messing it up.
ThalosApr 22, 2011 6:40 PM
Apr 22, 2011 6:48 PM

Nov 2007
Chuee said:
Someone mind explaining what happened after the credits?
Video was messing up and it froze after the credits <.<

Homura is seen walking alone in a wasteland (where she is or what has happened to the area isn't specified) and the words "Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember her, you are not alone." and we can see several of those white demons in the distance. Homura spreads her wings (now distorted and taking on the appearance of a witch barrier) and hears the words "Do your best" in Madoka's voice before going off to fight the demons. The screen is then completely engulfed in Homura's barrier-like wings.
Apr 22, 2011 7:09 PM

Dec 2010
So I was here mumbling about something stupid, and that is, why the hell am I sad right now.

As far as I'm concerned, that was a happy ending:
- Madoka pulled a heroic sacrifice willingly, and in a truly epic manner, and kept a smile throughout it all. This is always a happy thing, in my book.
- The universe is better off now. This is just a personal opinion: not by that much, but things are better now, in the overall scheme of things, than they would have been in the old universe.
- The only other person that realizes everything that's happened came to accept it, and even though she can't see, or rather, knows that there isn't a light at the end of the tunnel, but keeps on fighting, and this time for the sake of the world and not just some pink haired girl.

This was in no way the ending I predicted, but it certainly fitted my style. Heroic sacrifice, the fight goes on, hope exists. Utter perfection.
But I'm still sad, for whatever reason.
I say this is a happy ending because I'm seeing the whole picture: the "happy ending" most criticize and hate, with brutal machina with everyone alive and throwing water balloons off Mitakihara's radio tower, isn't even a consideration for me. My opinion is that this is a happy ending, considering the circumstances, although i can see why people call it bittersweet.
It could also be a difference in standards.... which would be horrible for me, since I pride myself in being an incurable optimist, seeing a happy ending in what the majority agree was a bittersweet ending may mean that I'm farm from being as optimist as I figured myself to be.

But still, there was a point in the episode where breaking zero-sum was a possibility: when goddess-Madoka took out the leviathan witch surrounding Earth, the universe was destroyed. That was a bit of a cheap shot, to be honest. Okay, grief exists. So if I take out a brutal amount of it, the universe blows up?

But the best they could have done was to have shown Mami and/or Kyoko still alive, in the end, not for themselves, but to show that the fight went on. Let me explain: they were the outer characters of the main cast. Madoka was Madoka, Homura was Homura, and Sayaka was Madoka's friend. Mami and Kyoko were, in my view, representations of the other magical girls, worldwide. Two veterans, with different approaches to the business, but dedicated nonetheless. Their existence was a mirror of the magic world that lied beyond Madoka & Company.
Thus, getting rid of both of them in the end gives out the impression that Homura is truly alone, with only Madoka's mental support. That was uncalled for: if the fight between balanced good and evil goes on, and demons keep on striking, then so should the magical girls. And since those two were their representation...

Oh well. I guess the only thing I can say more is that, if SHAFT got me and other people having thoughts like these, then they were supremely successful
"Tonight, I sit in the eye of the storm. As fire boils around me, I press forward, winds and lightning lashing my wings. I am no match for what I face. Yet I will not back down, and though fear may place it's stranglehold on my heart, courage will see me through. With tears in my eyes, I hit full throttle. My engines become an inferno, and my weapons light up, awaiting my command.

If I die tonight, I will do so fighting for everything I believe in."

Apr 22, 2011 7:15 PM

Dec 2007
Looks like Madoka has taken the title of god off Haruhi now :D
Apr 22, 2011 7:26 PM

Oct 2009
Best ending possible for this show, hands down. 10/10, Favorite.
Apr 22, 2011 7:27 PM

Jun 2008
Simply amazing, one of the BEST anime I've ever seen 10/10
Apr 22, 2011 7:42 PM

Oct 2010
It was good. Very good.

I was expecting something more down to earth and depressing, actually, but they went flashy and pushed the universe omnipotence theme... And I think it was good.
Apr 22, 2011 7:44 PM

Dec 2010
Wow, I certainly didn't expect that ending. Such a good story in only 12 episodes. Very impressed.
Apr 22, 2011 8:06 PM

Mar 2009
good anime really enjoy it
Apr 22, 2011 8:10 PM

Jun 2009
I am conflicted.

On one hand this style of ending is something I have not seen in ages. It takes balls to pull off something like this. There are so many ways it can go wrong and come off a pretentious. However it managed to avoid this. It also gives the viewer a happy conclusion to a otherwise depressing series. Oh and just in case people wonder why any magical girl didn't wish for what Madoka wished for before, Kyubey did mention that because of her power any wish would be granted no matter how absurd. Meaning, previous wishes had limits.

However on the other hand I don't think this was the best way to end the series. I can think of another way that could have worked. This ending had too much hope and happiness. It left a bad taste. I would have preferred an ending where the cycle was broken but the kyubey system was still in effect and the dead magical girls remained dead.

I still really love the show. However, there were flaws.
1: Kyubey infodumps were unnecessary. We didn't need to know that Kyubey was an alien. We didn't need to know about the counter entropy system. We didn't need to know that past famous female figures were magical girls. It would have been much better for Kyubey to remain an unknown entity. The minute Kyubey revealed himself to be an alien he changed from manipulative dark demon to intergalactic energy salesman. This killed his interesting character. Should have just left it a mystery so we could paint him as whatever we wanted.
2: When you think about it the characters were not really special. It was the situations they were placed in that really defined them. They wouldn't be half as interesting to watch if placed in a different kind of story.
3: Say what you will, I still think the cutout animated witches in the beginning just looked terribly out of place.
4: Slow start-up. Madoka only got truly interesting at episode 3.Before that it was fairly stereotypical magical girl story. I understand why this was like this. Still I cannot ignore it.

So I am conflicted about my score on this. I say.....9/10. Maybe 8.5.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Apr 22, 2011 8:18 PM

Jul 2008
Well I wish to clear out one frequently asked question about this episode

Why and how Homura got a bow
To begin with the explanation you should understand that the new world Homura is in by the end of the episode is the closer one to the first timeline.
To prove this point I would say that since Madoka never existed, Homura never became a mahou shoujo and never time traveled so the other timelines shouldn't be accesible anymore.

In this world Homura joined Madoka and Sayaka's classes and was agressed by one of these monster instead of a witch. This time Mami and most probably Sayaka saved her, that or she joined later. Then Kyouko joined the team.
At the time Homura was not a mahou shoujo, she was a powerless human that tagged alone just like the first time she met Madoka.
The reason she does not have her power is because she wished to redo her encounter with Madoka but Madoka do not exist which makes her wish impossible to be granted to begin with (Well not impossible but we'll talk about that later).

She was sent to this world at the point in time where Sayaka just died and she went to make a new contract with QB on her own.
A mahou shoujo's power is reflected by two thing : The wish and mind of a person.
At this point Homura idealised Madoka as an invincible angel using a bow and her desire was to protect the world Madoka sacrificied herself for.
Her new power were similar to Madoka's because of that.

Speculation for a second season
I said at some point that it would be impossible for Homura to regain her time travel power due to Madoka not existing in this new world.
In fact it is theorically possible for it to happen but it would require from Homura more power than what Madoka posseded.
Not only related to Homura, it would be possible for anyone that possess more power than Madoka did to cancel the impact she had in the world.
Let's say that someone with more power wished that Madoka never existed then the change Madoka made on the world would be canceled because she did not existed to wish these change anyway.
The reason why Madoka was able to overwrite the rule of the world was because she had more power than the one that created the last rules.

Then by the end of the episode we see Homura using witch-like power. I could well see a second season where someone or something try to find a way to gain more power that Madoka posseded to make the world return to the state it was before, most probably someone that is affilated with the old world and survived the change, more likely a witch. Homura would want to protect Madoka's wishes and would do whatever it means to destroy this being becoming more and more like the godesses of hope's avatar (The godesses Madoka was and is a witch at the same time as being a mahou shoujo and a godesses)
Apr 22, 2011 8:19 PM

Jul 2010
I really did love this episode. The whole series was very well done and even though at times it felt extremely depressing, it in the end, left you with a bittersweet ending that fixed all the problems with the current system for collecting energy and at the same time took away that pointy eared little pecker head Kyuubey's ability to ruin peoples lives. Of course the main price for this is Madoka shouldering all the burded and being forgotten by all people other than Homura, but its a far better ending than what I foresaw.

All in all, I really liked this anime. It was my first Mahou Shoujo anime and it was a great introduction to a genre!
Apr 22, 2011 8:23 PM

Jul 2008
DarkParagon said:

All in all, I really liked this anime. It was my first Mahou Shoujo anime and it was a great introduction to a genre!

Um..I don't really think the Mahou Shoujo genre is like Madoka. Madoka kind of inverted everything the genre normally does.
Apr 22, 2011 8:30 PM

Jul 2010
GarLogan78 said:
DarkParagon said:

Um..I don't really think the Mahou Shoujo genre is like Madoka. Madoka kind of inverted everything the genre normally does.

Which Is exactly why I think its so great. A genre is more of a guideline than a set of rules something must follow. This show shatters what you would normally think and presents a new light on the genre. This is all in my opinion of course.

Before this show I thought of this genre as (in general) as young girls given unusual magical powers that fight creative monsters using overly cute methods that can at times be sickeningly cute and at other times just nauseatingly cute, and in the end defeating a final enemy thus ending the series. This show changed that misconception, or rather, made it a misconception.
Apr 22, 2011 8:38 PM

Aug 2010
Madoka became fucking God
Homura became more badass than she was before

Nothing more to say ^_^
Apr 22, 2011 8:51 PM

Sep 2008
Laaaaame. 4/10. Madoka never did anything for me, but I'm glad I watched the whole series so that I now know what everyone is talking about. The only part I really liked was the last scene after the credits. But then again I absolutely HATE anime with a time paradox. For me, it just failed to deliver.
Apr 22, 2011 9:28 PM

Mar 2009
Sweet yet bitter... tasty :D 9/10
[/url]
Apr 22, 2011 9:32 PM

Dec 2008
I cried buckets.

I loved the ending, though I can see why it would a polarizing way to end the series. I can also see why it would leave a bad taste in some people's mouths. But for me personally- I thought it was fantastic. The bittersweet ending was a great way to end a series like Madoka.
Apr 22, 2011 9:34 PM

Sep 2008
Really something else.... 9/10
Apr 22, 2011 9:41 PM

Aug 2010
Teh end.
Apr 22, 2011 10:00 PM

Feb 2010
This . Was . Beautiful !
Apr 22, 2011 10:00 PM

Apr 2009
given how epic things have been going ever since and how beautiful it showed the mahou shoujos's theme of love, hope and friendship in a very different manner, and the fact that i understood the ending.. (tch.. not as hard to grasp since i'm very used to time loops, causality, complicated systems, etc..).. it will receive the 10 i was promising to give it if the ending is something very worthy and original (and apparently, i did not even think of this such ending, i guess the lack of a forced happy ending, which is a common in time resets, is part of the charm?).. dang, i believe this will still remain the best anime of the year, because it's gonna be hard to top this one.. Shinbo, Gen, Kajiura and the entire Shaft team.. thank you very much..
argiliumApr 22, 2011 10:06 PM
Apr 22, 2011 10:09 PM

Jun 2008
etchel said:

YOU ROCK~! I LOVE YOU~!

Haha, thank you. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Apr 22, 2011 10:28 PM

Jun 2010
THIS SHOW WAS AMAZINGLY FANTASTIC !!!

at first I didn't expect a shounen-like ending. Hero dies, the world is saved etc's.

Anyway final ep IMO fits the show. Still retains the score 10/10.
-= Space for Rent =-
Apr 22, 2011 10:38 PM

Sep 2009
10/10 The ending was surprising but very bittersweet. But I was touched by the decision of Madoka to protect all and Homura to continue fighting in the new universe to keep new hope. Maybe if Homura is increasing its level up one day to reach the state of Madoka and finally be in the same reality. =/
Excellent anime in every way.
Apr 22, 2011 10:47 PM

Jul 2010
I loved this amazing series from start to finish. Definitely no doubt a 10/10 for me, the ending seemed to have warped everything up so perfectly and made me tear up deep inside and almost out since it was so heartbreaking, but yet so beautiful. It was very clever that Shaft aired the last episode on Good Friday in Japan, it just fitted perfectly. I love the Homura X Madoka, it's just so touching. Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica, One of the greatest animes, that shall NEVER be FORGOTTEN!!!

Sorry for being a little cheesy there, but that's just how I feel about this gorgeous indescribable piece of work!!!
Apr 22, 2011 10:47 PM

May 2008
EminentFaith said:
Best ending possible for this show, hands down. 10/10, Favorite.
This.

Although I was somewhat saddened by the fact that Sayaka had to suffer the same fate. Even though she said she was satisfied with it, I was really hoping her and Kyouko could be long time friends in the new timeline.
Apr 22, 2011 10:59 PM

Nov 2009
The most unexpected ending I've watched in years.
Apr 22, 2011 11:19 PM

Sep 2010
Holyshit..... Ending is super awesome........

"No matter what you do Despair Exist"

After a long time a 10/10 for a anime....... :D
Apr 22, 2011 11:20 PM

Aug 2009
PoisonMoon said:
But then again I absolutely HATE anime with a time paradox. For me, it just failed to deliver.
Where is the time paradox? I hope you watched the same thing as what I show.
Apr 22, 2011 11:20 PM

Dec 2009
Did anyone enjoy the Meduka Meguca finale?
Your favorite anime is shit.
Apr 22, 2011 11:23 PM
Aug 2009
This is why I watch anime and this is why I'll keep watching. A show that delivers from beginning to end.
Apr 22, 2011 11:36 PM
Jun 2008
So, Madoka's wish is "I wan to erase every witch before they born"..... Ok......>.>" after watching the half of the show and I was like Ouw....kay -.-"
At least i understand why they put the show in hiatus for so long....

Anyway the show is kinda boring before Mami died, and after that its just a few episode of a few moment that makes it interesting to watch.

and the six finger is weird
Apr 23, 2011 12:38 AM

Oct 2010
Anyone can explain? Why Kyoko and Mami recognizes Madoka at minute 2:45, but at 16:40 they don't? how?

~ IA- Aria on the Planetes ~ Vocaloid V3 voiced by LiA (Clannad Afterstory, Angel Beats! theme song singer)
Apr 23, 2011 12:50 AM

May 2009
So Madoka turns into a God to save the world. Damn. You know, she should have taken a swig of MOANING LESCUE to help her save the day

Morning Rescue. Keeping little girls energized enough to become Godlike
Apr 23, 2011 1:03 AM

Oct 2010
Soooooooooooooo.....

Cleopatra was a Puella Magi
Oichi was a Puella Magi too
and Joan of Arc was another Puella Magi?

LOL

~ IA- Aria on the Planetes ~ Vocaloid V3 voiced by LiA (Clannad Afterstory, Angel Beats! theme song singer)
Apr 23, 2011 1:16 AM

Sep 2009
This really was an awesome show. This is definitely one of those shows I won't forget about.
Apr 23, 2011 1:35 AM
Feb 2011
sooo anyone wanna explain some stuff to me???
no more witches right? then wtf are those appearing? demons? where are demons coming from?
also what was after the credits about???
Apr 23, 2011 1:51 AM

Nov 2010
Ok my brain is finally in order.

SHE RESURRECTED MAMI!! FUCK YEAH!

Pages (31) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 3, 2011

380 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 10:44 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.