After reading some of the source material I'm cautiously optimistic for the anime. The character designs are definitely better for the anime than the original manga. Plus, it'll be awesome to see it animated.
1. This is NOT a 4-Panel Koma.
2. There is real information about guns. You can tell a lot of research was put into this and the author truly love guns. Gun porn too.
3. Has some cool squadron based action.
4. Relatively little Fanservice. (Knowing Xebec, it'll be exaggerated unfortunately...)
5. A likable cast of girls. Archetypal, but not annoying.
6. Main male character is not a wuss, he's pretty cool. He's an adult too.
It's all on the director/Xebec really, the source material is not too shabby.