Forum Settings
Forums

The most annoying and cliche phrases from anime.

New
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Jun 8, 2020 2:11 PM

Sep 2018
the next time I hear a villain say "omoshiroi" I will go omoshikill myself
Jun 21, 2020 3:24 AM

Feb 2020
I have a favour
(Tanomi ga aru)

This is what comes to my mind.
a really troublesome girl just showed up at a troubling time to start some trouble.
Jun 21, 2020 3:51 AM

Jan 2020
Well, a few of those:

1. Baka (バカ), because you can use yarou (野郎), retard (リタード) or kisama (貴様) and all of them sound better than baka.
  2. Any phrase that contains この世界 (kono sekai – this world), because it sounds too global (I think that you aren't allowed to speak from the face of the whole world or about the whole world, because your occasion is private in 100% of times).
  3. Overusing of desu (です), especially after the verbs, like: 「では、行きましょうです」, because it's gramatically incorrect.
  4. "Urusai!" (うるさい), just because "Damare!" (黙れ!) sounds better.
  5. "Fight for freedom!" – fuck off, there's no absolute freedom in our live, only the relative one.
  6. "Fight for the ones you love!" – so cliche.
  7. "I can change this world!" – too global plus too cliche.
  8. The use of senpai (先輩) and (less frequent though) kouhai (後輩). There's nothing wrong with it, but just calling a person "elder" or "younger" is kinda weird to me.
Jun 21, 2020 4:21 AM
Jul 2018
"Ehhhhhhhhhhhh!" This one I hate.

Forgot to add "Onii-chan". I think I'm one of the minority who prefer "Nii-san" or "Aneki" more.

After seeing all the post in this discussion, I think the characters should stay shut the whole anime, you know like Tom and Jerry.
removed-userJun 21, 2020 3:26 PM
Jun 21, 2020 4:26 AM

Apr 2018
The phrase I hate the most is 'Thank you for your hard work', its something like oskare sama des in Japanese, they say this to every person they meet in business world like in party or in the office I mean just say Hello it's so annoying listening to the same phrases 10 to 20 times in each episode.

Jun 21, 2020 10:03 AM

Dec 2012
do you really okay with this?

everydamn time when the mc settle with his decision these words come out,,
Jun 21, 2020 1:34 PM

Feb 2020
"-Why do you do that ?
-Because I love him/her/you."

At first I found it kinda cute, but it very quickly became annoying.
There are still exemples in which the characters' relationship is so well done this line remains touching and meaningful, but it is very often used only to give a dull explanation for the character to sacrifice themself for someone they barely know. And the tone, mixed with the generic piano music, mixed with the generic facial expressions, just makes me want to slam my face on my screen instead of crying over how "kawaiiiii" that is.
Jun 21, 2020 2:23 PM

Jun 2020
You know it:
"This is my fight!"
"No, Senpai, this is OUR fight!!"
-Strike the Blood.

I actually wouldn't have it any other way, it's basically a staple now XD
Still cliche and (slightly) annoying though.
Jun 21, 2020 2:26 PM
Jul 2018
jasotaku said:
"Ehhhhhhhhhhhh!" This one I hate.

Good god, yes. I hate this!

About the "I want to protect the ones I love!": I only hate it, if it feels superficial to me, if I don't get the feeling that they have a strong bond.
Jun 21, 2020 6:17 PM
Apr 2018
"Leave it to me"
"I won't lose next time"
"Ara-Ara"
Jun 23, 2020 3:41 PM

May 2020
Anything that includes the power of friendship and/or love.
Jun 23, 2020 3:54 PM

Aug 2013
Nothing?
If I really need to mention something, it would be repeated to the death by any love live main girl
スクールアイドルになりたい
jasotaku said:

Forgot to add "Onii-chan". I think I'm one of the minority who prefer "Nii-san" or "Aneki" more.

That weird if you call older brother an older sister though.
RudeRedis said:

[*] The use of senpai (先輩) and (less frequent though) kouhai (後輩). There's nothing wrong with it, but just calling a person "elder" or "younger" is kinda weird to me.

Senpai/kouhai doesn't mean elder/younger though. At all. You can have a senpai who is 10 years younger than you and vice versa with kouhai.
It's more like experience-based honorific.
rsc-plJun 23, 2020 4:02 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jun 23, 2020 4:59 PM
Jul 2018
rsc-pl said:
Nothing?
If I really need to mention something, it would be repeated to the death by any love live main girl
スクールアイドルになりたい
jasotaku said:

That weird if you call older brother an older sister though.

I just checked that, lol I didn't know that it means older sister, I though it means big brother because of Dororo XD
Jun 24, 2020 12:02 AM

Jan 2020
rsc-pl said:
Nothing?
RudeRedis said:

[*] The use of senpai (先輩) and (less frequent though) kouhai (後輩). There's nothing wrong with it, but just calling a person "elder" or "younger" is kinda weird to me.

Senpai/kouhai doesn't mean elder/younger though. At all. You can have a senpai who is 10 years younger than you and vice versa with kouhai.
It's more like experience-based honorific.

OK, didn't know about that, thanks for the info!
Nov 17, 2020 1:44 PM

Sep 2020
"My friends are my power"

"Who...are you?!?" I'm...your friend!"
Sep 6, 2021 4:51 AM
Aug 2021
1- 'You and I are the Same'
2- 'You promised you won't kill anyone'
3- 'We don't need to fight each other'
4- 'Wasn't he your friend?'
5- When the mc helps antagonist and they become friends.
6- When MC doesn't wants to kill
7- When MC takes too long to speak a dialogue.
Sep 6, 2021 6:25 AM

Aug 2020
Aniki, Senpai, onii-chan

Stuff like that

「 𝕂𝕖𝕪 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕙𝕚𝕕𝕖𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕤 𝕠𝕗 𝕕𝕒𝕣𝕜𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕤, 𝕤𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕞𝕖 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕥𝕣𝕦𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕞 」

Sep 6, 2021 6:28 AM

Jul 2020
"There's only one in a million chance that you'll survive"
-Then mc survives with ease. When Itadori eats the finger, it's the perfect example for this.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Sep 6, 2021 6:57 AM
Jul 2018
Honestly, this thread itself is more cringe than all of these phrases combined.
Sep 6, 2021 10:54 AM

Aug 2020
Not exactly a phrase, but...I've come to hate the squeaky sound all adult characters make when they take their first sip of beer in the day.
Look, I get it, the first sip is extra good and refreshing and whatnot. But it's become SUCH a cliché to show 'this is a hardworking adult' and I just kinda hate it? We can be adults without drinking. We can enjoy a drink quietly without moaning through the whole room. Please stop making that noise! x.x
Sep 6, 2021 2:23 PM

Mar 2021
“If you don't do as I say I will kill her/him”
“If you hurt her/him, I swear I'll kill you”

Because eventually, a relative of the main character is kidnapped and used as a hostage (Mostly end of the season)
This is Nanba Prison. No one has ever escaped successfully from this prison. -Nanbaka

Sep 7, 2021 5:45 AM

Sep 2020
Instead of killing the protagonist after torture him in a fight, you interrogate him again knowing he didn't know everything and then get deus ex machina'ed

TATAKAE!!!

"Le screaming stuff"

Sep 7, 2021 8:15 AM

Dec 2018
SuicideMaster said:

Huh any reason for that? Seems to me like people are just listing bunch of cliched phrases. Or am I missing something here?
. . .
Sep 7, 2021 8:37 AM

Sep 2020
"no senpai this is our fight"

from strike the blood
Sep 7, 2021 8:45 AM

Apr 2020
Don't mind me, putting it on a spoiler tab...

Sep 7, 2021 9:16 AM
Jan 2018
Tsundere lines like "B-baka, its not that I like you or anything, hmpf..!" So overused and annoying.
Sep 9, 2021 5:07 AM
Jul 2018
Preachee said:
SuicideMaster said:

Huh any reason for that? Seems to me like people are just listing bunch of cliched phrases. Or am I missing something here?

I feel like most of the phrases here are only cringe when you make them out to be so. They just feel like normal phrases when I hear them in anime.
Sep 9, 2021 5:20 AM

May 2021
with the power of friendship!!

that is just another word for plot armor

Sep 9, 2021 5:34 AM

Oct 2010
when someone offers a drink/cigarettes/sexual favors to some guy but the guy goes: "I'm underage", that's very annoying and unproductive
Sep 9, 2021 5:47 AM
Jul 2018
Just like the first post of this thread said "I will protect those whom I love"
Sep 9, 2021 5:49 AM

Jan 2021
"Damn it! What should I do now"

This one.
Sep 9, 2021 5:49 AM

May 2021
I'll never forgive you! *Proceeds to defeat the deuteragonist and instead of killing him use some cringy lines like family or friendship to get him to repent of his ways and join the protagonist group*
Sep 9, 2021 5:58 AM

Aug 2019
"I am just an average high school student".

Then proceeds to be everything but the average high school student.

Sep 9, 2021 6:46 AM

Mar 2021
"i'll record this memory in the notebook of my heart"

it's a nice sentiment but it sounds really awkward in english lmao. also "it's a promise" < i only ever hear anime characters use that phrase
Sep 9, 2021 6:59 AM

Dec 2018
SuicideMaster said:
Preachee said:

I feel like most of the phrases here are only cringe when you make them out to be so. They just feel like normal phrases when I hear them in anime.

Yeah I kinda realized this some time after posting. I guess the phrases in itself aren't really bad, but the delivery isn't realistic enough (for obvious reasons, anime isn't live action after all) and it's somehow always exactly the same.

For instance, the "Damn it! What should I do now" right above is a completely normal line that just about anyone would utter in their most average day. But when you apply it to anime, it does seem more corny than usual, because you can already imagine the exact same over-the-top delivery from dozens of different characters saying it in the exact similar manner. So I guess in a way, it might seem like a cliche to some people.
. . .
Sep 9, 2021 7:44 AM
Dec 2020
ufnfundis said:
with the power of friendship!!

that is just another word for plot armor
no anime character ever said that "power of friendship" is just a sentence made by western fans this post is so unfunny that it makes it feel like you dont know what plot armor actually means
DeathlydashSep 9, 2021 7:48 AM
Deathlydash
Sep 9, 2021 8:26 AM

Feb 2019
"Ore ga mamoru!" Said by generic shonen protag moments before getting beaten badly then suddenly getting a random powerup to save the day because, mUh loved one needs to be protected

"I'll let you go for now/I won't kill you until you're actually strong enough to kill me instead"

Asuka's "anta baka???" can be annoying too.

"EEEEHHHHHHHH?" or "oi oi oi" (I'm dying of cringe just typing these two, the worst in my opinion)
Sep 10, 2021 9:22 AM
Apr 2021
"i will get serious now"

they say that right in the middle of a fight after they've been caught off guard or whatever. like get serious from the beginning

and also "at any rate", why do they say that all the goddamn time
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - 5 minutes ago

0 by IpreferEcchi »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

30 by -Ryu »»
5 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

102 by TransferUser »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 4 hours ago

25 by LightWorker »»
8 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

69 by -Ryu »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.