Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 14, 2011 7:51 PM

Jun 2007
+1 for ending with an epilogue episode. Most series end once the action ends; no-one caring to detail what happens after, or tie-up any loose ends.

-1 for dedicating the final episode to adding a sense of closure to the story, yet totally failing to give a definitive answer over whether Albert made babies with Eugenie or not. Why have them snog at the end of episode 20 but avoid showing them make babies!?

Even back when I first watched Gankutsuou, I felt the true final episode was the 23rd and that the 24th was totally anti-climatic. With Edmond dead, the only aspect of value left to cover was the Albert-Eugenie romance, and for whatever reason Gonzo thought it best not to even have the two meet in the final episode; on-screen, at least. With that said, I fail to the see the point of the 24th episode since it didn't leave me satisfied.

Episode 24 didn't affect my 10/10 score since - in my mind - the series ended at 23. Still, it definitely could've ended better, had there been some quality romance time included.
Sep 16, 2011 11:05 AM
Aug 2011
Probably would have been better without this episode. Gankutsuou without the count=fail.
Sep 21, 2011 10:01 AM

Sep 2010
Ending is a crap.

Anime before duel = 100000000 / 10
Duel = 0/10
After duel = 3/10

Total 9/10.

And Albert/Beppo = best couple, Eugenie is a friend for him, no more.
2e16nig.png
Sep 23, 2011 9:00 PM

Jul 2011
i loved the entire show!! at the beginning i thought boring
after first half i thoufht 7/10
by episode 23 i was crying a definite 10/10
i liked how it ended on episode 24 instead of 23 it had a more happier feel to it and i know why the ending didnt show albert and euginie onscreen hookup welll because they didnt get together in the novel and the show is based on the novel but also because this is one of those its 4 u to decide endings...
you can imagine albert and eugine together for the albert +eugine fans or 4 the haters you could make them not get together either way the Fans decide
which to me was a really good choice
Oct 23, 2011 11:51 AM
Aug 2010
I love how people whine about the last episode being a filler while half of the plot is original material.

Dec 5, 2011 6:24 PM

May 2009
WTF?! No Albert and Eugenie reunion? :(

ijontichy said:
First half of series is very good, second half of series is a big let-down. Some very silly episodes in the latter half, including a poor ending. But still some nice memories from this series.

Totally agreed.
Jan 10, 2012 8:34 AM

Oct 2010
it was a nice ending, i actually liked to have that episode at the end, i think it could of been done in a slightly better way, but i think having that rather then it ending at ep 23 is good. the whole series i think deserves a 7/10, it was good but maybe just not my to my taste,i think the story wasn't developed enough in the begging and took to long to develop, but i think that most of the time any way.
Feb 9, 2012 10:24 PM

Mar 2009
EPILOGUE END. Not bad really. It exists; that basically sums up my opinion. Either way, it does nothing to affect my overall score.

Gankutsuou was a blind buy for me, and one of the better ones for sure. While I did find the first half to be superior(deliberately paced, amazing build-up) to the second, like many others it seems, the entire series was very enjoyable. The Count lost some of his complexity and subtlety after revealing his true self, but he's still a fascinating character nonetheless. It's funny, I had the same reaction to the recent Mawaru Penguindrum. Except, the first half was mediocre yet picked up with a powerful and emotional second half. It had quite a few flaws, yet the direction by Ikuhara impressed me, and even the flaws were kind of interesting, if that makes any sense whatsoever. With Gankutsuou, for me at least, it's a similar experience. 9/10. It deserves a high score. Would've been a 10/10 honestly were it not for the slight drop in the second half. Remind me to read the novel one day. =)

...oh, right. You know, despite the Count's actions and his total and complete(almost I guess) revenge against the people who betrayed him and their families, he inadvertently sparked the relationship between Maximilien and Valentine. I thought that was pretty cool.
Mar 31, 2012 2:05 PM

May 2010
So why was the Count pretending to be the priest and how did he amass his wealth? Still many unanswered question regarding the Count.

I am going to guess Villefort is dead? What happened to the wives?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Apr 19, 2012 10:32 AM

Dec 2008
This is what happens when you have a solid story and proper funding. Best I've seen in quite a while. Loved it.

Overall, I gave this series a 9/10.

May 10, 2012 1:05 PM

Jan 2012
It could have been better.
May 18, 2012 11:08 AM
Aug 2011
I don't know if I should give it a 9 or 10.

So yes it had lots of ridiculous moments and that unforgivable mecha but the bottom line was that I couldn't stop going to the next episode to see what was going to happen.

I haven't really felt that way about a series in a while.
Jul 24, 2012 5:18 PM
Jul 2012
This one is for the people who wants closure on albert and eugenie.

I think a lot of you guy's are missing the point of the opening song and how it's constantly linked to the story. Eventually we find out that it's eugenie who made the song, making the song sort of explain her and alberts life as the series goes on.

In the end when eugenie plays the piano, albert starts running towards the cathedral.
The song then goes: Harsh words were said, and lies were told instead, i didn't ever mean to make you cry or something like that. The song has now "caught up" to their current life, but then the song continues and for the first time, we hear the rest of it.

Try watching the ending again, listen closely to the lyrics and see if you like the outcome better :>

Atleast my read on it is that the song explains the rest of their lifes.

Ending gets a 10/10 from me.
Sep 13, 2012 9:12 PM

Nov 2011
A well crafted series imo with its unique art and stunning soundtrack that I replayed several times in various episodes. The letter that the Count wrote in this finale was touching and ultimately, I thought this series is underrated.

8/10.
Oct 3, 2012 5:54 PM

May 2012
I wish there was more about edmond, his story was freaking way awesome in the book, really didn't get that aspect in this adaption, but oh well I still enjoyed it though.

by the way they should really make an anime "The stars is my destination" Because that story was a lot like count of monte cristo except in the future and really really good
Oct 4, 2012 9:01 AM

Sep 2011
mmmm.... filler!

I wanted to see Eugenie get a hold of Albert's _______ :>)
Oct 21, 2012 7:28 AM

Mar 2010
CallistoRey said:
Wow, just wow. I can't believe they butchered the show like that after an awesome first half.
Don't get me wrong, the anime itself it's above average,superb....good. But, as an adaptation of Dumas work it, quite frankly, sucked.
They start off with the festival in Luna.Alright, everything seems fine. Later on we get to know that it's a futuristic setting.We know that everything changes, they can't possible make everything fit like in the book. It's still fine, just according to keikaku, etc.
But instead of us, the audience, getting absorbed by the count's charisma, the story begins to revolve around Aruberu and his ''problems''.
It wasn't ''The Count of Monte Cristo'' anymore. It was more like ''Albert and friends (starring Albert)''.

You still with me? Okay. I'm not going to babble for each episode(wich I could) but let's go to the final two, episode 23 and 24.
The battle looked good just like the negotiation of Haydee and Alberto's life between Fernando and Edmundo.It was the climax of the whole show, what you wait since you start watching new material.
Suddenly, Gankutsuou takes control of the Count and you know that he's done, finished, terminated. But oh no, not in the presence of Albert and his almighty power of friendship.
He then proceeds to use the most feared technique against EVIL entities, yes, you know what I'm talking about.A HUG. Mr. Edmond gets back to normal, he still dies though. And voila the resolution we all waited for is here.
The final act is just ''And they lived happily ever after'' filler.

And I'm not even mad, I'm just shocked on how those 24 episodes, of a show I really was looking for ,turned into something I didn't expect(not in a good way).
lmfao this post is awesome
yeah i agree with you and this anime is pretty good and the only thing that ruined it was episodes 23-24
Oct 24, 2012 6:49 AM

Apr 2012
Well, I didn't know what to expect after ep 23, so I guess this was a nice and tranquil closure episode. Everybody has grown, colors and peace are back, lovers stop being apart...

Overall, some very fine Gonzo, shame the studio is having problems... At first a lot of things seemed uberkitsch in this show, but they were kind of good in their own opera-style right. I personnally find Dumas to be boring, but this adaptation wasn't at all, so gokurousamadeshita guys. Count-mobile and the other sf elements rooted the action in a solid way, like the Chateau d'If, or the space hookah. The girls, and especially Haydee were as gorgeous and fluterry as dragonfly wings.
EratiKOct 24, 2012 7:00 AM
Nov 16, 2012 9:42 PM

Jan 2012
I loved the whole thing. It is really rare for me to get into an anime as much as I did with this one. I wish that there were more anime series like this out there. And I know episode 24 was just an epilog, but I happy that they did it that way. There are some many series that abruptly end which leaves you wanting more or never feeling finished, but the epilog gave it a completeness. A lot of other series try to do the same stuff that was in this aime, but they don't even do it half as well.

BTW, I think it helps if you haven't read the book. I know that I have not read it yet... which seems to improve my view of the series. It seems that a lot of the more negative comments are from people that have read the book. Of course the book would be better, it almost always is.
Kaizoku_MugiwaraNov 16, 2012 9:50 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 14, 2012 3:04 PM

May 2012
Quite nice final episode, was expecting something slightly different but this suited as well, 5 years in the future seeing how everyone grown up and find their path in life! I still wished in the near end that Albert and Eugénie would reunite but well the song in the end was still good to finish it off!

Good anime in general, special take on the art and a quite dramatic but great sci fi story! Quite enjoyed watched it and didn't had to much lack of interest every episode so quite good done! 8/10
Dec 19, 2012 9:36 PM

Dec 2010
One of the most brilliant anime I have watched. A great overarching plot and fantastic subplots all came together for a perfect ending.

Also, the final episode is very fitting.
RebasDec 22, 2012 4:43 PM
Jan 1, 2013 1:13 PM
Oct 2012
One of the best anime I ever seen!...10/10!
Feb 12, 2013 6:42 AM

Jul 2009
It was alright. A solid anime for sure. The problem may be that I have never read the novel, but I just had a tough time accepting Albert's devotion to the Count at the expense of those around him. Especially Franz. Which means the charisma of the Count didn't come across to me as strongly as it should have.

As for random nitpicks that don't matter much, the art style seemed superfluous and just something to attract viewers rather than adding anything to the story. I also think setting a story in the 51st century is hardly ever a good idea. It would have been more believable being a few centuries ahead of now, but we can't even fathom what things would be like 3000 years from now. It would be like asking someone in ancient Greece to write a story in today's times, except worse given the accelerating pace of change.
Feb 17, 2013 5:50 PM

Nov 2011
A great closing episode after such a disappointing climax. The build up in this series was superb, yet the last 8 or so episodes just weren't able to pull it off. From what I understand, the original novel followed the story in the eyes of the Count, which is unfortunate as the Count is really the life of the show.

It makes me wonder why this anime would choose to follow Albert instead, he's such an unlikable character, one that I'd be hard pressed to find a single redeeming quality in him.

Overall, a solid series that was certainly "different" from what I'm used to watching. After watching this, I'm hoping to see other anime adaptions of older famous stories.
Feb 18, 2013 9:19 AM

Nov 2012
Had anyone wondered with all the technological advancement of the show, why doesn't anyone has mobile phone. All those 'I must return and save Albert!' and 'I'm barred from seeing Eugenie' thingy can all be simplified with a single phone call.
Mar 16, 2013 9:27 AM

Jul 2012
AzureBlues said:
A great closing episode after such a disappointing climax. The build up in this series was superb, yet the last 8 or so episodes just weren't able to pull it off.

I agree with This. The show was not quite what i expected it to be, but despite the bad ending it was still a pretty solid show. 7/10
Apr 4, 2013 6:33 PM

Jul 2012
The demise of the Count by a "simple hug" is the only problem some have with this show? Hmm...I'll disagree.

I didn't mind the climax. I guess it's how you interpret it. I thought Albert said something to the Count during that hug. The Count really wanted to kill Albert to finalize his revenge, but something unexpected happened and that's Albert.

How can you forgive someone for deceiving you? Playing with your emotions? Killing your best friend? Well, after Albert learns the truth and past about the Count, he wants to understand him; he wants to believe the time he spent with the Count is genuine.

After the hug, the Count became human again (losing his blue skin). Then he pointed a gun at Albert. Instead of shooting, he started crying. At this point, he couldn't shoot because Albert finally reached him. Before dying, he told Albert to remember his real name: Edmond Dantes. Why? I think Edmond wanted to let Albert know that he freed him. Albert freed him from Gankutsuou. From hate. From revenge. From loneliness. Edmond could finally feel again - his heart, frozen by his thirst for vengeance, melted over a warm light of hope.

As for this episode, the story was about Albert as much as it was about the Count. So I thought it was necessary and it's not actually a happy ending. We see Albert still struggling to move forward even after five years. He's scared of the past and that he may head in a similar direction as the Count. I see it as more of an open ending.

I enjoyed this series a lot. Nice music, beautiful art and just wonderful overall. ;)
Apr 21, 2013 11:17 PM
Sep 2011
rechajulay said:
Albert looks more like Count in his youth, that i started to believe that he was Count's own son (i was hoping for a twist like... Mercedes already pregnant before she married to mondego :p)
it would explain the deep bond between albert and count.

but of course it didn't happen lol.

You know I thought the same thing. That is not the case in the book, though they did that for the live action 2002 movie. But it seems weird to make them look so similar for no explicable reason. They really look alike, but also Edmond's past personality is as naive as Alberts.

However it really wouldn't work with the timeline as Albert is 15 and Edmon was imprisoned 25 years ago. He can't possibly be his son. Which really made me wonder, why would they go through the trouble of making Albert look a lot more like the Count than he does his own father? And clearly giving them similar features which they pan in on several times, for no reason? I think they tried to imply it then changed it last minute or something.

I thought everything else was pretty straight foward for the most part except the timeline.

Some parts seem off. For instance if Mercedes did wait to for news of Edmonds death, to marry after his imprisonment of 14 years , given he was imprisoned 25 years ago the numbers dont add up. 25-14 years of wait =11years from the present, meaning Albert would be at most 11 not 16. Which means she must have had him after 10 years of waiting. Almost 5 years before Edmond would have been pronounced dead?? O.o Someone either lied to her or something is off...

Anyway

As for Eugenie: I'm pretty sure Albert was running to her when he heard the piano playing at the end. I thought that it was obvious they'd love eachother no matter what.
Apr 26, 2013 12:48 PM
Dec 2010
Overall
Story was actually quite good even though it seemed to have decreasing tendency it kept me interested and entertained whole time and made me want to watch another episode immediately after current one.
Though end was sometime inconsistent or maybe it was just me not getting it. e.g. Fernand 1st attempted to kill his son and then he wasn't surprised his son is still alive what more he was trying to save him from being shot again... Guess old man went bit crazy ?.
As for arts, i found that distracting and had to get used to it. Some might disagree but for me it had similar effect as fan-service forced into serious story. It simply distracts viewer from the characters and the story. Well it seemed to get better and less artistic later on or i got used it, maybe bit of both so in the second half of the anime i was finally able to see whole characters instead if previous "moving faces on static wrapping paper".
>>very good especially for story/characters<<

Sent with Mal Updater
greenmartyApr 26, 2013 12:51 PM
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Jul 17, 2013 2:40 AM
Aug 2009
Kinda sucks that they didn't add the Albert and Eugenie reunion
Jul 17, 2013 4:54 AM

Apr 2009
Yawn. Can't say I'm entirely impressed. Sparkling-rainbow-zig-zagging tuxedos are cool and all, but that's about all I have to raise an eyebrow for. Albert, sigh, I really hope we don't meet again. I don't have enough digits to count the number of times I've wanted to take a dump into your forest of silky-smooth-marble hair.
Aug 6, 2013 12:15 PM

Jul 2012
After a slow start this anime got really great when Edmond's plan started to unfold. This was really deserving a 9 and the ending could give it a 10...

But episode 23 was the worst by far = I didn't like Fernando sudden change of personalities and Gankutsuô defeated by the power of love (if it was Hydee or Mercedes doing that, I could forgive).

Episode 24 was fine.

My final score is 8/10, but with time it could turn to a 9/10. Maybe the ending will sink in with time? I don't know.

I loved watching it, anyway!
Aug 31, 2013 11:05 PM

Jul 2013
Just finished it and I can say that I am truly sad that it is over. Such a good show. The visuals, the story, the music. Everything is truly astounding and breathtaking.
Sep 1, 2013 5:38 PM
Aug 2011
What is with that world map? Year 5000 something, there are galactic unions, empires all over the space and they show a world map with every country and their borders as if today.

So, since Albert was only 15 and Dantes was prisoned 27 years ago he isn't his son, obviously. Why depict him the same way then? Probably to show that they share their personality.

Can't decide if I should give a 8 or 9.
Sep 18, 2013 7:44 PM

Dec 2012
I haven't read the original source, so as an anime only viewer I have to say that this was an incredible watch. The art was so surreal and captivating, the story was compelling, and the execution was near perfect. I think that this was a decent epilogue, it tied together many things and left a proper conclusion, be it filler or not. There were so many breathtaking moments in this, it really had me on the edge throughout each episode.

Aside from a few episodes, I would consider the majority of this a masterpiece. The one thing that does bother me too much, however, is how they used a rather cliche approach towards the final confrontation in episode 23. I understand the significance behind Albert's "hug" and how it wasn't just "tu tu ru! Power of friendship!", but I wish they had stayed in tune with the tragic atmosphere that had been building up the previous 22 episodes.

Nevertheless, this was still brilliant regardless. 9.5/10 (rounding down) from me, a fantastic story of revenge, tragedy, sacrifice, and resolve.

Oh and I got a good laugh out of Peppo being a model. I'm a bit confused though, because Peppo's gang referred to her as "she" and "her" this episode, so I wonder if Pep really was a girl or not. Probably the one mystery I'll carry around with me.
Nov 4, 2013 3:01 PM

Mar 2012
Fantastic anime! The Count was a brilliant character, the story was thrilling and the OST was wonderful. Just sad to see it end :'(

10/10
Nov 28, 2013 8:40 AM
Nov 2009
Many plot-holes regarding this adaption... I mean they have this futuristic setting and advanced science but they still have a hard time finding out antidotes and medicines, and the grandfather could have had a device like Stephen Hawkings to talk or something lol. I haven't read the novel so I guess it's because the anime tried to make it more unique but nonetheless I still enjoyed this even though the ending got very cheesy.

Still many questions left unanswered. Like what the hell is the Gankutsuou and where did it come from? And was Peppo really a dude? Also, I know that Edmond Dante "sold" his soul to the "devil" which gave him immortality as long as he wants to fullfill his revenge but that doesn't answer why he had an unlimited amount of wealth. I know it was done differently in the book but this anime was lacking a bit more and could have been much better in my opinion. I thought that the first half of the series was better too but after the build up and all the cheesyness it didn't followed up to be as good as the beginning.

Music and art, in my personal preference was good. I like that it doesn't look like most other animes out there and the CGI being made back in 2004 was still fine for me.

I still do think that Albert was bi-curious and Franz was really gay for him. And I have a feeling that the reason Alberts hug/kiss to the count worked because the count also seemed homosexual. Or probably because he was the son of his old love and he felt something for him idk.

Overall enjoyed it after I marathoned most of it in less than 4 days. Now onto the liveaction movie adaptions to see the difference :D

8/10
Jan 15, 2014 9:29 AM

Aug 2010
Really liked this show. One of the best stories I've seen. It started out as a 9 or 10 for me at the start but I was sort of let down by the latter half. While it was still good and enjoyable it just felt like a different show.

Not sure whether to rate it 8 or 9 on MAL but my final score as of now is 8.5/10
Mar 28, 2014 10:12 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatched)

Fitting end to a wonderful series.
Apr 3, 2014 10:38 PM

Jan 2013
Meh...the ending was so-so.
Gankutsuou had a lot of brilliant, masterpiece-esque moments. And then it had the terrible CGI, dem woeful medieval gundam fights, some stupid decisions from some ultra stupid aristrocrats and a trainwreck extravaganza of an episode 23.
I give it a very consoling 7/10. The most disappointing anime I've seen since Ghost hound.
Well, off to read the book now! Hope to know a lot of answers that bothered me throughout the show.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 20, 2014 10:08 PM

Oct 2011
As someone who have read the novel, I still find this enjoyable. The art and animation are wonderful. 8/10. changed my mind, 9/10.
snufflessApr 21, 2014 3:28 AM
Jun 2, 2014 10:03 PM

Jul 2011
the count was an awesome character. the ending is good too

8/10
Jul 16, 2014 2:02 AM

Sep 2013
@nameskizo
>The count inherited Gankutsuou's knowledge, which presumably allowed him to puff out large sums or money, gain so many connections, and ultimately work out his vengeance.

>Peppo is certainly a guy. Baptistin is quite the trap detector, which attributes to his reaction. Maybe the gang REALLY just never realized....
Aug 9, 2014 4:56 PM

Jul 2013
it was good... 8/10 from me

only an 8 because as someone who read the original novel and few scenes were changed completly... well, in the end works pretty much the same as in book...

also, albert wasnt this annoying in the book. he was a better character >_>
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
Feb 27, 2015 9:36 PM

Jul 2012
Three days and I finished this. Cool.

This was a really classy and dynamic series. I give this a 7/10 as my final score. My main issues was how vulnerable/ignorant Albert acted half of the time. I also didn't really like the Count since his motive wasn't what I expected. He does it for revenge and all but in the end I was unimpressed with how he turned out. Kind of desperate and humiliating.

I hated how Albert was suddenly infatuated/obsessed with the Count after like 2-3 episodes. He acted like a prick to everyone else simultaneously. "Come on, Franz...Count is a good guy! I mean, he saved me..." Shut your trap, you stupid 15 year old.

I actually liked mostly every side character, even the trashy antagonists like Andrea and the money obsessed father. I mean, they were interesting. The side couples were really cute. Another highlight is the fabulous mix. Good selection of classical pieces (i love love loveeeee rachmaninoff's piano concerto 2) and good original tracks too. Fitting.

I was not a huge fan of the animation/art style and didn't get use to it until the 20s. I liked it in Uta Koi (the pattern/texture clothing) but not here. It felt too abstract.

Anyway, nice watch. Will probably read it now.

Skyzblue said:
Meh...the ending was so-so.
Gankutsuou had a lot of brilliant, masterpiece-esque moments. And then it had the terrible CGI, dem woeful medieval gundam fights, some stupid decisions from some ultra stupid aristrocrats and a trainwreck extravaganza of an episode 23.
I give it a very consoling 7/10. The most disappointing anime I've seen since Ghost hound.
Well, off to read the book now! Hope to know a lot of answers that bothered me throughout the show.

Yep, this. Literally everything. There's a lot of amazing 10/10-worthy moments in this series, especially a lot in the first half. And then there's just a lot of mediocrity in other places. Weird mix.
Mar 1, 2015 3:32 AM

Nov 2014
Just finished rewatching this show. I changed my rating from a 9 to an 8 which is a shame because if the show had a different ending I would have happily given it a 10. I did not have any problems with the artwork unlike most others but that ending and albert's constant whining were really annoying. I just wish the count just killed albert in front of his father. That would have been the perfect ending for me.

For those of you who are planning to read the book - please do read it. It is one of the best revenge stories I have read so far.
Mar 17, 2015 5:59 AM

Dec 2013
Decent story but nothing too crazy, doesn't deserve the praise imo. I dislike how they delayed the plot with just leaving damn cliffhangers at the end of every episode. True motives of the Count, his backstory and the actual plot were revealed way too late - you just had to believe people saying WATCH IT, IT'S GOOD. Albert was an annoying, naive brat. I liked that Albert and Count were voiced by 2 of my favorite VA. The mecha shit was unnecessary. I'm not a fan of sci-fi but it didn't annoy me here. The OST was alright.
The way Gankutsuou died was just stupid.
Worth a while, 5/10.
Mar 29, 2015 12:51 PM
Mar 2015
HazukashiiSensei said:
Decent story but nothing too crazy, doesn't deserve the praise imo. I dislike how they delayed the plot with just leaving damn cliffhangers at the end of every episode. True motives of the Count, his backstory and the actual plot were revealed way too late - you just had to believe people saying WATCH IT, IT'S GOOD. Albert was an annoying, naive brat. I liked that Albert and Count were voiced by 2 of my favorite VA. The mecha shit was unnecessary. I'm not a fan of sci-fi but it didn't annoy me here. The OST was alright.
The way Gankutsuou died was just stupid.
Worth a while, 5/10.

Glad there's someone with his head on straight.

Funny how everyone hated the show until episode 20 - remember how everyone was screaming that everything plot point you wanted to happen was torn to shreds? It's like everyone forgot how frekin depressing the show was for episodes 5-20 without any letup - every marriage, friendship, family bond, etc. was destroyed by the one and only GONZO.
People should know about that before watching the show... Sheesh, if it's going to be a "Series of Unfortunate Events" reincarnated at least give some warning.

I agree with everything the above comment said, especially about the motivations and backstory being revealed too late. Do people watch this for the human emotions or the revenge just for the sake of revenge? It's enough already.

Gonzo took one of the most acclaimed French novels of all time, and turned it into a Japanese revenge thriller, took all the nuances from the characters, somehow managed to infuse a demon into the Count along the way because of course they can't make him human...

And SOMEHOW every serious reviewer gives this at least a 9/10. Clearly they don't realize how good the source material is (said themselves that they never read the book). If it wasn't for the 15 episode long depressing stretch with no letup, I could've enjoyed this better.

The Count of Monte Cristo, my arse. This is The Series of Unfortunate Events in all but name.

4/10
Avitron142Mar 29, 2015 12:54 PM
May 28, 2015 4:15 AM
Aug 2010
Ya Avitron142, I just don't get it. After just finishing it, I REALLY don't see how people are rating this so high.

I understand it is only based off the book and is even more of a re-imagining of the story, but so many of the changes made to the anime version just seem unnecessary and don't really add much to the story. Having the setting be 3,000 years into the future, complete with steampunk goodness? The whole Gankutsuou demon entity? Not to mention the art style made me want to vomit non stop. I'm not even saying they should've stayed closer to the source material; be it poor story telling or just Japanifying a classic story to include [pointless] mech battles, the majority of the story never really hit home for me.

It felt like a solid "meh" show to me. Not the worst, but a far cry from 8-9's people seem to be feeling this is at.

Book: Corney language but great story. Movie: Good-Great. Anime: meh
Jun 30, 2015 5:17 AM

Jun 2014
it was amazing
:3
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» About the Ending of Gankutsuou [Spoilers]

DeactivatedProbe - May 29, 2021

2 by scrapegoat »»
Feb 19, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Jun 14, 2008

94 by KuroGFX »»
Feb 6, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

StabbyPWNS - Nov 3, 2008

120 by Leongolleyn »»
Dec 29, 2023 5:48 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 13 Discussion

Mikiyo - Apr 8, 2009

45 by nicissad »»
Oct 5, 2023 10:56 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 11 Discussion

Kayro - Jun 18, 2008

48 by Dawizz »»
Sep 9, 2023 2:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.