Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Apr 15, 2011 1:32 AM

Something that bothers me about Dragon Ball is the way women are portrayed. They're never taken seriously and spend all their time being the butt of jokes.

Bulma is Goku's oldest friend and often builds machines or figures critical things out. She's probably the smartest character and is always eager to help other characters and is generous with her time and her home, but she's usually portrayed as an annoying, overbearing nuisance that the others don't dare cross for fear of her temper.

Chichi is even worse off. She's constantly mocked for her concern for her son, even when he's very young and is off fighting murderers from space. Like Bulma, she's portrayed as having a fearsome temper so no one crosses her, but the way the scenes play out she always comes off as a hysteric for worrying about her only child. On top of this, she does nothing but suffer. The entire series is spent with her husband and/or son away from her, leaving her to fret about their safety. Hell, the last time we see her she's weeping.

Perhaps you're thinking of Android 18 as a counter-example. She's a powerful fighter, after all, right? But she has only one fight; an unimportant scuffle with Vegeta. After that, she spends some time fixated on getting new clothes that suit her tastes, then passively follows Android 17's lead until he's beaten, when she becomes a helpless victim who relies on men (first Android 16, then Krillin) for protection and guidance. After everything plays out, she becomes yet another shrew, when she won't thank Krillin for what he's done.

Given that this series talks about kindness often enough, I find the draft wafting through this hole in its heart rather unpleasant. The whole thing feels like a little boy's fantasy; no girls allowed and mothers are only an annoyance. Well, that's exactly what it is and was supposed to be, I suppose, but Toriyama didn't need to be so callous to the ladies.
Modified by Fronzel, Apr 15, 2011 1:47 AM

Apr 15, 2011 5:50 AM

shut up woman and go to the kitchen.

no, seriously, bulma's mother is just awesome, and bulma too, and c-18.
it's just that the gaiz haven't understand that
Final Fantasy VII is a shitty game.

May 7, 2011 10:07 PM
Take the feminist bullshit elsewhere please. There is no discrimination in being a support character.

And tbh yamcha/kririn are treated worse than females in db, it's not a gender issue

Aug 26, 2011 11:27 PM

Przymiot said:
Take the feminist bullshit elsewhere please. There is no discrimination in being a support character.

And tbh yamcha/kririn are treated worse than females in db, it's not a gender issue

So right.

Apr 26, 2018 6:10 PM
Fronzel said:
Something that bothers me about Dragon Ball is the way women are portrayed. They're never taken seriously and spend all their time being the butt of jokes.

Bulma is Goku's oldest friend and often builds machines or figures critical things out. She's probably the smartest character and is always eager to help other characters and is generous with her time and her home, but she's usually portrayed as an annoying, overbearing nuisance that the others don't dare cross for fear of her temper.

Chichi is even worse off. She's constantly mocked for her concern for her son, even when he's very young and is off fighting murderers from space. Like Bulma, she's portrayed as having a fearsome temper so no one crosses her, but the way the scenes play out she always comes off as a hysteric for worrying about her only child. On top of this, she does nothing but suffer. The entire series is spent with her husband and/or son away from her, leaving her to fret about their safety. Hell, the last time we see her she's weeping.

Perhaps you're thinking of Android 18 as a counter-example. She's a powerful fighter, after all, right? But she has only one fight; an unimportant scuffle with Vegeta. After that, she spends some time fixated on getting new clothes that suit her tastes, then passively follows Android 17's lead until he's beaten, when she becomes a helpless victim who relies on men (first Android 16, then Krillin) for protection and guidance. After everything plays out, she becomes yet another shrew, when she won't thank Krillin for what he's done.

Given that this series talks about kindness often enough, I find the draft wafting through this hole in its heart rather unpleasant. The whole thing feels like a little boy's fantasy; no girls allowed and mothers are only an annoyance. Well, that's exactly what it is and was supposed to be, I suppose, but Toriyama didn't need to be so callous to the ladies.

little bit late for the party
like 7 years.
but holy shit, i have never seen anyone with a lower affinity to me, --29%

Mar 2, 4:43 AM

I agree with you, and it's very sad that someone gets attacked for wanting characters from a show they like to be treated with respect.
Go read the One Punch Man manga please, this awful adaptation by JC Staff is a disgrace.

Mar 2, 4:46 AM

If DBZ was portraying women, homosexuals and black people in a respectuous way, we'd have noticed by now tbh.

Mar 2, 4:48 AM

zebdal said:
shut up woman and go to the kitchen.

no, seriously, bulma's mother is just awesome, and bulma too, and c-18.
it's just that the gaiz haven't understand that

i see you took the kitchen pill quite a long time ago