Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 14, 2011 9:41 PM
Jul 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I was putting this series off for some time, but that was a surprisingly good start.

The animation and art direction are totally amazing considering how old this is, and the voice cast is legendary. To top things off, an epic religious war filled with morally ambiguous class divisions is beginning. I'm only worried about how this plot can be contained in only 6 episodes.
Apr 15, 2011 11:38 PM
Oct 2008
If you are concerned about the plot being wrapped up in six episodes and leaving you with a satisfying conclusion, prepare to be disappointed.

I would recommend viewing this page after you have completed the entire series.

http://www.arslansenki.net/index.htm
Apr 29, 2011 9:40 PM
Jul 2010
I just finished it, and wow you weren't joking. Great while it lasted though.

There seems to be a completed(!) manga but I can't find an English version, legal or otherwise. This is especially frustrating because I looked at the released dates for the OVA episodes, and concluded they're almost certainly adverts for the manga volumes and/or novels.
Jun 6, 2011 11:28 AM

Sep 2008
Really was a great start. Direction was really unique, and the animation + the art and character design were surprisingly good; despite lacking modern tech, the anime is a visual treat. I also like the writing and the script, especially the dialogues are pretty good.

"I knew I cannot hold conversation with a cretin who cannot appreciate fine art"

thats as elitist as elitist can get.

"bravery and strength can often fall to the wisdom of a weakling"

This and:

"Kings and empires all crumble to dust in time, only great art lives on in this world"

reminded me of LotGH :P
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Mar 22, 2012 10:55 PM
Mar 2012
In terms of animation hands down the best of the series, I am torn to say if this is the best episode, part 2 is a strong contender for me, more about that later. So 1996, back then saturday nights were Manga nights, this was shown and boy I didn't know what to expect, beautifully animated and well dubbed (Not knowing how inaccurate the translation was at the time though) and a host of seriously effeminate men, yuck.... Luckily Daryoon is here, one serious badass, easily my favourite of the heroes. The first is also the most violent of the series, the Palsian army's defeat, Shapool's torture and Ectabahana's subjugation (Later to be pronounced differently, tsk)
Despite the horrors of conquest there are laughs along the way thanks to Elam, Narsus and Daryoon's banter is also funny!
The ending leaves us at what looks to be a long and impossible journey, like the sworn brothers that would establish Shu Han in China during the 3 kingdoms era.... The ending soundtrack is the best of the series for sure
May 11, 2012 11:22 AM

Apr 2009
I chuckled a bit on their force estimates at the end of this episode, 6 versus 300,000 so each one of our heroes must take 50,000 enemies alone to make it even. Subarashii! XD
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 9, 2014 8:41 PM

May 2012
Pretty decent start of this series, let's see what will happen next!
Oct 8, 2014 10:30 PM

Mar 2008
A little jumpy on events, and it certainly feels like a partial/rushed adaptation, but certainly worth watching so far.

Loving the fantasy setting, and the mythic/history inspirations pleasantly done. The Western Asia groundings and aesthetics are a nice change from the usual Confucian, Medieval, or Roman types.
Nov 2, 2014 3:02 PM

Jul 2011
Ckan said:
A little jumpy on events, and it certainly feels like a partial/rushed adaptation, but certainly worth watching so far.

Loving the fantasy setting, and the mythic/history inspirations pleasantly done. The Western Asia groundings and aesthetics are a nice change from the usual Confucian, Medieval, or Roman types.

Yeah, events are kind of all over the place. But I enjoy. The LotGH vibe is so strong... <3 and even a bit of Rose of Versailles for me, thanks to Farangis. Though mindblow that Gieve = Franky.

Shame it's 6 episodes, definitely not enough if it's as grand as LotGH. I'll enjoy the beautiful characters while I can. :(

Edit: Exact same thoughts as before. I've read some of the original novel (fan-translated) and of course Hirakawa-sensei's version this time around, but I definitely wish they did a full adaptation back in the 90s. The dreamy atmosphere and colors give this version life. Feels very rushed watching the OVA though. Those who are watching without full knowledge of all the events will find this confusing and struggle to understand what is happen (in the bigger context). Such a shame!
MirorinApr 2, 2016 8:45 PM
Feb 5, 2015 10:19 AM

Jan 2013
Solid first episode. Looking forward to seeing how they take the kingdom back. Lol, didn't expect Char to be the main antagonist. Even has the same voice actor too!

Aug 16, 2016 8:07 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Interesting first ova, although it needs more argument and deep....
Jan 29, 2018 12:49 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
this adaptation is a lot more rushed than the TV series that came out a couple of years ago. Having said that, the art, animation and voice talent is superior. Arslan looks the part of a prince here, whereas in the TV series he looks like a little kid.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 10, 2019 5:24 PM

Jul 2008
I like this kind of epic fantasy, feels like the Fire Emblem games a bit. Also liked the art style and character design, probably because they're from Yoshitaka Amano.

The part near the end where they all came together felt like they skipped an episode, also the end must've sucked for those who saw it in theaters at the time since this OVA started off as a movie.
Dec 18, 2020 1:51 PM

Nov 2015
i'm curious to know the origins of the arslan prince, having not royal blood D: that also was commented in the tv series but never reveal anything! :(

this episode got a better modern adaptation, they're like mirrors! https://myanimelist.net/anime/31128/Arslan_Senki_TV__Tsuioku_no_Shou_-_Dakkan_no_Yaiba
Berry-VodkaDec 18, 2020 2:08 PM

💢

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Heroic Legend of Arslan Episode 6 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Apr 29, 2011

19 by PxHC »»
Jun 30, 2023 6:43 PM

Poll: » The Heroic Legend of Arslan Episode 5 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Apr 28, 2011

9 by Berry-Vodka »»
Jan 29, 2021 12:47 PM

Poll: » The Heroic Legend of Arslan Episode 3 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Apr 23, 2011

9 by Berry-Vodka »»
Jan 15, 2021 3:00 AM

Poll: » The Heroic Legend of Arslan Episode 2 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Apr 16, 2011

10 by Berry-Vodka »»
Dec 25, 2020 3:54 PM

Poll: » The Heroic Legend of Arslan Episode 4 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Apr 26, 2011

8 by Ranxomare »»
Aug 28, 2016 7:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.