Forum Settings
Forums

Crunchyroll Launches Streaming Service in Japan

New
Apr 14, 2011 6:26 AM

Feb 2008
According to Anime!Anime!, Crunchyroll has announced to cooperate with Marvelous Entertainment and will launch an anime streaming service on Android and iPhone in Japan. The initial line-ups are "Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai" and "Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi". The first episode is free and the complete episodes of one season will be sold for 1,540 yen ($18.5).

The anime streaming business is more competitive in Japan than in US. The success or failure of Crunchyroll's new business in Japan depends on how they will take advantage of their advanced technology in the applications of the smart phones.

Source: Anime!Anime!
dtshykApr 14, 2011 7:06 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 14, 2011 6:49 AM

May 2008
Wow. It's audacious :0
Apr 14, 2011 6:53 AM

Oct 2010
18 bucks? better be HD
Apr 14, 2011 7:18 AM

Nov 2008
wow when it comes to money people never run out of ideas lol but still i like it
Apr 14, 2011 7:21 AM

Nov 2007
I wonder when will something like this is going to happen in this god forsaken place I call my home (Lithuania). I just hope my great-grandchildren will live to see it.
Ultimately, there is a freedom to take the consequences (Terry Pratchett)

Apr 14, 2011 7:46 AM

Nov 2007
いいな~
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 14, 2011 7:50 AM

Apr 2009
liked how the BS goes
Apr 14, 2011 8:01 AM

Nov 2008
$18.50 US for streaming a season not going to work especially with all of the free Japanese streaming sites around. If this was for downloads for a single anime it would've been better.

Apr 14, 2011 8:07 AM

Jul 2008
Why can't they watch anime on TV for free? (disregarding the cost of cable and whatnot of course).
Apr 14, 2011 8:48 AM

Oct 2009
Supergrunt8 said:
18 bucks? better be HD

18 bucks? Better be UNCENSORED.
Apr 14, 2011 8:51 AM

Nov 2008
Alipio said:
Why can't they watch anime on TV for free? (disregarding the cost of cable and whatnot of course).

Not everyone can watch anime at 1-3 AM.

SurferDude said:
Supergrunt8 said:
18 bucks? better be HD

QFT

Apr 14, 2011 8:55 AM
Nov 2008
Hoppy said:
$18.50 US for streaming a season not going to work especially with all of the free Japanese streaming sites around. If this was for downloads for a single anime it would've been better.

Alipio said:

NicoNico is not a 'free Japanese streaming site', and the cost of channels that air anime on a regular basis isn't that cheap. Basic cable doesn't include channels such as AT-X and BS-i, as they are satellite channels that needs to be bought on top of basic satellite services. Hell, even channels such as the NHK need to be bought separate from the basic cable service (so the NHK has its own subscription fee separate to basic cable).

US$18 is a pretty good deal with it comes to Japan.
Apr 14, 2011 8:56 AM

Sep 2008
I wonder how this will go....

With all these download sites out their people could just download from one of these sites. And try to find a free encoder that'll let you encode it yourself has for the subs you can just de-mux them off if it isn't hardsubbed. And or just download it RAW from one of these many torrent sites.

The playstation network on the PSP has anime but most on there are SD quality and are around the 100 to 200 MB and and you'd have to by like $2.00 a episode why would I wanna pay that much for a file that big and SD when I could just download it and encode it with one of these free converters and have it HD and a smaller file size.

But if they have the file size small and HD then I see it doing rather well.
Apr 14, 2011 9:02 AM

Jul 2008
Onibokusu said:
Hoppy said:

Alipio said:

NicoNico is not a 'free Japanese streaming site', and the cost of channels that air anime on a regular basis isn't that cheap. Basic cable doesn't include channels such as AT-X and BS-i, as they are satellite channels that needs to be bought on top of basic satellite services. Hell, even channels such as the NHK need to be bought separate from the basic cable service (so the NHK has its own subscription fee separate to basic cable).

I always new the anime industry in Japan wasn't exactly perfect, but I never knew it was that bad. Thank you very much for clarifying!
Apr 14, 2011 9:09 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Onibokusu said:
Hoppy said:

Alipio said:

Pretty much.

18$ is not bad at all. You can even watch it wherever you are. Very convenient.
Recall the overall high commodity prices in Japan.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 14, 2011 12:02 PM

Jan 2010
Being a Droid Incredible owner myself, I can't see spending that sort of money for ANY streaming service on the phone. The screen is just too small and it's more of an inconvenience to watch stuff than anything. I use my phone for nearly everything else and I can't live without being connected to it, but watching video on it is incredibly inconvenient.

Also, don't even get me started on battery life..just playing music or casually browsing basic websites kills it. Streaming media on it would make that I couldn't even last a workday with my phone.
Ok™
Apr 14, 2011 1:08 PM

Oct 2007
We in the US are pretty spoiled when it comes to the cost of watching anime. Lots of relatively cheap means of legal streaming (Crunchyroll Premium, Netflix, et cetera), and our DVD prices are CRIMINALLY low in comparison to Japanese releases. What is it, like 1 or 2 episodes for $50-60, usually? And that's without the limited editions that otaku go crazy for.

At least this should be a good, less bank-breaky alternative. $18 for a full season really isn't that bad at all. Might actually help to make anime a bit more accessible to the general public too, if it's more affordable.
Apr 14, 2011 2:39 PM

Apr 2011
SurferDude said:
Supergrunt8 said:
18 bucks? better be HD

I agree :]
Apr 14, 2011 3:13 PM

Oct 2009
Lol they're only streaming the generic looking harem shows. Guess they're trying to get otaku only.

Crunchyroll doing this is cool though, I wonder if it will succeed or flop.
Apr 14, 2011 5:16 PM

Apr 2008
must have 4g if you don't want to keep buffering
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

DatRandomDude - 11 hours ago

46 by zubby »»
6 minutes ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 2 hours ago

1 by deg »»
17 minutes ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
9 hours ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
10 hours ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
Yesterday, 6:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.