Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 13, 2011 2:29 PM
Mar 2011
I find it quite funny the huge uproar by the Japanese otaku community on the possibly of Ritsu having a boyfriend in one chapter of the manga. So with the new manga coming up, I just felt like asking this question. Would anyone here seriously be upset it the creators decided to have a romance (non-yuri of course, not that I mind but I got to be specific for some) subplot for one of the girls? I know not everyone is a fan of romance but I don't thing it would be bad if its kept light hearted by the rest of the series.

I personally like the idea of Ritsu having a boyfriend of all the girls, especially because she's the tomboy. Almost like, of all the girls, Ritsu's the first to get a boyfriend?! Then Mio becoming a strict mother in law type to the guy. After all, "men are animals!" she said once.

Would you guys include a romance? And if so, how would you do it?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 13, 2011 3:08 PM

Aug 2010
I included the topic of romance in the moderately in-depth theory I had on how a continuation of K-ON should be handled, but axed that particular part of it. This is because romance is something you can't pin down in this series. There are plenty of yuri fanshippers - an obscene amount some would say, but that's a whole 'nother topic's topic really. There are also the people that don't like yuri/wouldn't want it happening. To include canon pairings is to incite the wrath of one of these groups. Either you pander to the yuri fanshippers, and lose the part of the audience that detests yuri; Or you write in new male characters and suddenly you have the more rabid fanshippers up in arms.

Not to mention that, while it's entirely possible to have males in slice of life, females just make things... cuter. Having to make time for males leaves less time for our cute girls to do cute things. And if the cute girls are doing cute things less of the time, then you might lose yet another portion of the audience that feel it's lost something, unless you can make it to where the males make for good jokes and or bring out new cute sides to the characters. Wheras if you simply allow the romance to exist in the fan's minds, both sides can - somewhat tensely - coexist, and everyone can enjoy the main series without anyone having a hissy fit.

TL;DR - Including romance means either the homophobes or yuri fanshippers have a hissy fit and guys fit only slightly into an equation of "Cute girls doing cute things." Romance should therefor remain an aspect of the fandom solely.

Apr 13, 2011 10:25 PM
Jan 2011
IMO, they're all just jealous. I've seen some super obsessed fans, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were mad.
Apr 14, 2011 7:39 AM

Aug 2008
This is because romance is something you can't pin down in this series.

Oho, I can finally post this (spoiler'd for length):

tl;dr The hesitance is due to this law of removal. If there is anyone to blame, it is you/me/them for letting it get this far.

Though I'd totally want them to do it. I love it when authors take risks. Co-ed or not, when you are in college/university your desire to meet new people takes you to a diverse number of places - namely the places you couldn't go as a high schooler - and try new things. Additionally, the older they get the more unavoidable the subject becomes.

I'm certain people wouldn't lose their shit if newly introduced characters are shown being in current relationships, either. That way you can condition the audience into accepting the idea. If not restart, then maybe give Azunyan the "high school suddenly co-ed" treatment.
Apr 14, 2011 12:36 PM
Mar 2011
TL;DR - Including romance means either the homophobes or yuri fanshippers have a hissy fit and guys fit only slightly into an equation of "Cute girls doing cute things." Romance should therefor remain an aspect of the fandom solely.

I gotta agree with TheWanderingEye. The premise of "cute girls doing cute things" works for a high school, slice of life story. You don't half to take that seriously. But the problem is they decided to let these characters age, graduate, and continue their story. If they want a cheap cash in, the creators will continue the "cute girls doing cute things" premise. It will get old very quickly and many fans will drop it sooner because its more of the same. They are not in high school anymore after all. It wouldn't make sense to fans.

If they want to do this well and keep fans invested in these characters, you have to have them evolve in some way especially since now they're writing their lives post high school. They already have to introduce new characters and environment as it is. But without real character development, this series will fall as quickly as it raised. A romance is great way to do this. The series should still be cute and light-hearted. It doesn't need any drama at all really. But to limit yourself as a creator and say "romance is something you can't pin down in this series" is short sighted.
Apr 14, 2011 7:58 PM

Aug 2010
This is the damndest thing. The last time I tried to talk about this topic, I said that a natural progression of them going on to college would be some form of romance, yuri or otherwise. At the time when I said that, everyone was all "I don't know." and "I wouldn't want that!," and so I based what I said on that feedback. And now the topic comes up again, I modify what I say to fit what I perceive the fandom's will is, and the fandom's will has entirely changed. Admittedly, I don't think any of you actually took part in the discussion in the Yui FanClub, which is where you can find the conversation I'm referencing here, but still. Can a guy get some slack? I'm gonna suffer from whiplash at this rate!

Apr 15, 2011 5:44 AM

Sep 2010
I think it could be nice to have a romance. I won't say I want one per se, but I wouldn't mind. Kakifly has been very good with telling a very realistic story of four friends. It's only natural for those girls to have a boyfriend at a certain time in their life. They're already 18 now, so it's not like they're still too young for one.
soultakerkage said:
I personally like the idea of Ritsu having a boyfriend of all the girls, especially because she's the tomboy. Almost like, of all the girls, Ritsu's the first to get a boyfriend?! Then Mio becoming a strict mother in law type to the guy. After all, "men are animals!" she said once.

Indeed, that was how I was thinking it to be ^^

I think if it happens, we should all support Kakifly for taking yet another realistic turn of events in his/her manga. Like others said, as long as it is as light-hearted as the rest of the manga.
MerushiApr 15, 2011 6:08 AM

We can't change the world with Anime...

…but we'll try

Vote for your favorite K-ON songs here
Apr 15, 2011 11:52 AM
Feb 2011
I don't want it to happen because it might change the feeling of it too much. The same thing would happen if the Lucky Star girls all get girlfriends.
­
Apr 15, 2011 2:19 PM

Sep 2010
RitsuTainaka said:
I don't want it to happen because it might change the feeling of it too much. The same thing would happen if the Lucky Star girls all get girlfriends.

I don't think it would change the feeling a lot. You can easily keep the boyfriends in the background. At least that's what Kakifly would do if (s)he would even consider boyfriends I think.

…but we'll try

Apr 16, 2011 11:21 AM

Apr 2009
I'd rather they didn't. I think innocence is a big and major part of K-on. Just reading the manga or watching the anime somehow makes it very nostalgic and heart warming because it brings back some nice memories of when we were still kids. These girls are just being themselves and are having fun with their friends. I am totally fine if the creator decides to add a boy character in K-on, but the romance thing.... I don't know, it would really bother me, but I'd still read it because I love K-on ^_^
Nice guys finish last
That's why I'll treat you like trash.
It's not what I really want to do.
But you only date bad guys so,
I'll give it my best try to
Treat you the way you want me to.
-KevNigChes Collaboration

Apr 18, 2011 1:03 PM
Mar 2011
Chikane-chan said:
I'd rather they didn't. I think innocence is a big and major part of K-on. Just reading the manga or watching the anime somehow makes it very nostalgic and heart warming because it brings back some nice memories of when we were still kids. These girls are just being themselves and are having fun with their friends. I am totally fine if the creator decides to add a boy character in K-on, but the romance thing.... I don't know, it would really bother me, but I'd still read it because I love K-on ^_^

I don't see how them being in relationships takes away their innocence. Like Merushi said, they can just be background characters. They don't need to be play of major part of the story. And like I said earlier, innocence is fine if the manga still took place in high school. But they were allowed to grow up and move into college. The more you allow the characters age, the less realistic it is to maintain to maintain that level of innocence. Like I said, the characters need to be allowed to evolve and mature now. It should still be heart warming and I don't see the need for drama at all. But they are not "kids" anymore.
Apr 18, 2011 2:20 PM

Sep 2010
Totally agree ^

…but we'll try

Apr 22, 2011 9:59 PM

Apr 2009
Hmm... I guess some people are different. Some long for change, and some just want to stay a kid at heart :)
Nice guys finish last
That's why I'll treat you like trash.
It's not what I really want to do.
But you only date bad guys so,
I'll give it my best try to
Treat you the way you want me to.
-KevNigChes Collaboration

Jul 14, 2011 1:02 AM

Aug 2008
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Jul 14, 2011 10:12 AM

Oct 2007
Not going to happen. If I remember correctly, somewhere in the anime, they mentioned that all 4 of them were attending an all-female college.
May 1, 2012 2:36 AM

Oct 2010
Yeah
May 1, 2012 12:47 PM
Jul 2018
KyuuAL said:

Well, wasn't that......interesting.
May 3, 2012 4:37 AM

Oct 2010
hahahaha XD
Mar 13, 2014 5:03 AM

Jun 2008
cr4sian_phil said:
Not going to happen. If I remember correctly, somewhere in the anime, they mentioned that all 4 of them were attending an all-female college.
This is, imho, what made the college chapter failed. It would have nice if they went to a regular college and meet another group of people, especially men. I would like to know how they would have all reacted if, say Mio, found a boyfriend. Or better yet, we see the girls actually going to class and doing college type stuff. Instead all he did was just moved to girls some place else with nothing to make them grow.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Mar 17, 2014 4:53 AM

Aug 2012
I'd think they'd steer clear of romance, I mean it would make sense. A lot of people would get angry - talking to you overly K-on! otaku fans. Hey, I like the way things are but I also like the idea of romance, if you ask me, I really can't choose between to two, because I just like K-On! for what it is - the characters.
Aug 21, 2014 8:21 PM

Aug 2014
I know this topic is dead but still...

I agree with a lot of things that were said above: the crazy K-ON fans, the homophobes, the yuri fanatics, etc.
Even though I'm a SUPER yuri fan and I ship Mio and Ritsu to hell and back, it would have been nice to see some development in the characters themselves when they went to college be it romantically (yuri or non-yuri) or otherwise.
Actually, the lack of growth in the characters' personalities makes it hard to write anything in canon, since it's impossible to put such naive and childish characters in more adult scenarios (such as dating, joining the work force, etc.), this for whoever writes/reads fanfiction.
However, I think Kakifly saw all the obstacles mentioned by all and was unable to find a way to develop the characters while making everyone in the fanbase happy and satisfy managers, publishers, etc. I also deeply believe that's why there isn't any anime adaptation (be it movie or series) from when the girls go to college because it would be silly to portrait the exact same reactions and situations of high school in a scenario that requires the characters to mature. Hence the failure of the college chapters in the manga.
"Trying to understand the magnitude of my love for this fictional character [Akiyama Mio] is impossible. It's like trying to understand the existence of God. You just can't." <3
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Which K-ON character are you? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

hannahchan - Apr 11, 2010

328 by Leesverse »»
Jan 17, 7:29 AM

Sticky: » Request your K-ON! MEMBER CARD! [ON HOLD-ON] ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

AngelRin - May 8, 2011

247 by kb_juliane »»
Jan 1, 2023 5:38 PM

» MY K-On! fav songs =]] ( 1 2 3 )

Koko-Bear - Jun 26, 2009

100 by HAOSov »»
Jan 2, 2022 2:27 PM

Poll: » Which Character Is Your Favorite? Version 2 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Jun 23, 2009

298 by Digibutter64 »»
Aug 10, 2020 4:01 PM

» K-On Steam tag

kaorinonomiya - May 25, 2018

1 by Profaned_Ravy »»
May 25, 2018 7:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.