Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 10, 2011 8:35 AM

Dec 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episode 2 was almost the same like in the OVA of Toriko. There was nothing special :/
Apr 10, 2011 9:00 AM
Dec 2007
Where can you find episode 2?
Apr 10, 2011 10:48 AM

Jan 2011
It's good to see that the show returned to the manga plot after last week's crossover. However, I see that the producers added some extra scenes that weren't in the manga and an extra filler character (that news reporter girl). As the manga is still ongoing, I hope that this show won't have many filler episodes (like the Beelzebub anime has) or suffer from plot changes.
Apr 10, 2011 12:54 PM

Jan 2011
MyCoding said:
I was afraid of this... damn censorship. I love the animation, but can't they add some blood, I mean come on, don't let this turn into a kid's show. The manga's pretty bloody in some scenes.

For those of you wandering what I'm blabbing about, they left out Toriko smoking, there was no blood in his fight with the crocodile and he didn't chop off his head, like in the manga. Not to mention some other minor stuff they didn't include. Hope it gets better...

Yeah, when I saw Toriko using his Knife attack and the crocodile was intact, I was quite disappointed. The Toriko OVA was more faithfull to the manga than this episode.
Apr 10, 2011 1:39 PM

Dec 2009
Considering it's on Sunday mornings, this was to be expected. That opening is still badass though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgzJhn2iFrk
Apr 11, 2011 9:03 AM

Feb 2010
ok ep it will took some ep before this show will really interesting^^
Apr 11, 2011 7:02 PM
Apr 11, 2011 10:04 PM

Sep 2009
galalala

Nice ep ^^
Apr 12, 2011 12:56 AM

Feb 2008
MyCoding said:
I was afraid of this... damn censorship. I love the animation, but can't they add some blood, I mean come on, don't let this turn into a kid's show. The manga's pretty bloody in some scenes.

True. I just wonder what they'll do once Toriko battles against Tommyrod.
Apr 12, 2011 2:40 AM
Mar 2010
MyCoding said:

For those of you wandering what I'm blabbing about, they left out Toriko smoking, there was no blood in his fight with the crocodile and he didn't chop off his head, like in the manga. Not to mention some other minor stuff they didn't include. Hope it gets better...

Sigh, this episode really did feel like a kid's show. Not to mention the overflow of "Gatsu" in the opening
Apr 12, 2011 3:28 AM
Jul 2018
Kayro said:
MyCoding said:

True. I just wonder what they'll do once Toriko battles against Tommyrod.

True. Dropping this. Can't see another favorite series going to waste by stupid censorship
Apr 12, 2011 3:55 AM

May 2008
lol haha this show makes me so hungry D: I WANNA EAT SOMETHING!

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Apr 12, 2011 4:18 AM

Jan 2009
The censorship doesn't bother me that much, to be honest. This episode is the OVA, and episode 3 is the exact same story as on the One Piece crossover (so episode 1)

I'm a bit disappointed with the Fork and Knife charging using aura: aura has no place in Toriko
Apr 12, 2011 4:56 AM

Jan 2011
wow did I miss the time indication... reminds me of the times when I was watching DBZ :'( good old times
Apr 12, 2011 5:17 AM

Nov 2010
Watching it made me hungry as hell.

While watching, I realized how awesome life and food are.
Apr 12, 2011 6:12 AM

Aug 2010
Oi Oi Oi, don't do this to me Toei, u ruined some awesomeness there, wth did they censor it, the time slot used to be for DBK and they used to show blood, hell they even showed when cell was blown in half.

The animation is good though, but I really hope that they just did this because it's the same as the OVA and they'll really start doing it right from next fight,
I REALLY HOPE SO!!!!!!!
Apr 12, 2011 7:24 AM

Jul 2009
I guess it's an episode that could be broadcasted as the 'uncensored' version, or as an 'censored' version, depending on the audience.
'Everything is impossible until proven possible.' - Me

Apr 12, 2011 9:46 AM

Jun 2009
Haha nice episode. Watching this made me hungry though :D

Apr 12, 2011 9:53 AM

Apr 2010
ninkendo said:
Considering it's on Sunday mornings, this was to be expected. That opening is still badass though.

Didn't Kai have blood in the same time slot, though?

Apr 12, 2011 2:14 PM

Jul 2010
why does it seriously matter if there is blood or not >< god its annoying people would drop this over a completely gay reason.
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Apr 12, 2011 3:50 PM

Dec 2007
^ True, Didnt bother me at all.

Dunno about this show yet, it was pretty similar to the ova. Wonder how long they can keep this exiting.
Gonna have to watch a couple of more episodes before I judge it.
Apr 12, 2011 4:07 PM

May 2010
Wow, after hearing every bodies comments on how censored this episode was, I decided to re-watch the ova and also reread chapter 1+2. I was...for lack of words, "astonished" at how many annoying changes they made from the manga.

I realized how they completely changed the atmosphere from the manga into something for a 12 year old. In the anime, it's almost like Toriko treats Komatsu like he's a little kid; when in fact according to Toriko Wiki" http://toriko.wikia.com/wiki/Komatsu " Komatsu is 25 years old! Komatsus voice actor also sounds like a pre-pubesant boy. When I compared his voice to the one in the OVA I realized how poorly fitted his voice was in the tv version.

........Man, another shonen anime with soo much potential...RUINED
YouniverSoulApr 12, 2011 7:08 PM
Apr 12, 2011 6:34 PM

Feb 2010
It's not the censorship that is bothering me the most (although that's overall lamee...) it's that this is basically a poor quality version of the OVA.

Benevolance said:
Komatsus voice actor also sounds like a pre-pubesant boy. When I compared his voice to the one in the OVA I realized how poorly fitted his voice was in the tv version.

I agree. Seriously. Wtf...

OH well... I'm giving it a few more episodes... >_>*;
Apr 12, 2011 7:04 PM
May 2008
Guess I should've never watched the OVA. That really spoiled me and made this look like some poor man's version. Turning Komatsu into a kid is probably one of the worst things though.

After watching the OVA I was set to follow this, but now it seems like I'll give it a few more eps max.
Apr 13, 2011 9:36 AM

Mar 2011
This episode was awesome! I think Toriko looks really cool and I'm very pleased with the animation!
Apr 13, 2011 10:08 AM

Jul 2009
Come on guys, take things in to context, I'm sure the censorship was applied due to recent events in Japan, I don't think parents will be thrilled and content to see violence and gore in the midst of disaster.

EDIT: Oh and DAMN THIS SHOW MAKES ME HUNGRY...
RegiApr 13, 2011 10:12 AM
Apr 13, 2011 11:23 AM

Apr 2010
Regi said:
Come on guys, take things in to context, I'm sure the censorship was applied due to recent events in Japan, I don't think parents will be thrilled and content to see violence and gore in the midst of disaster.

EDIT: Oh and DAMN THIS SHOW MAKES ME HUNGRY...

There is absolutely no correlation with blood and a tsunami... especially since Naruto just had one of the bloodiest episodes of it I've ever seen a like 2 weeks ago.

Apr 14, 2011 10:22 AM

Jun 2009
Who's Tina? o_o
Apr 14, 2011 4:56 PM

Oct 2007
Perrazo said:
Who's Tina? o_o

A pointless filler character I guess to help explain some stuff if people are still clueless.

Seriously Toei, why?

Anyway it's the OVA episode. Despite the people complaining about the lack of blood, I thought the effect for Fork and Knife was awesome. Especially the knife bobbing back up after the slice.
Apr 14, 2011 7:05 PM

Mar 2009
Nice first episode.

I'm not a fan of the edits. I wish they would've kept it a more mature show, but I liked the feel better.

The OVA seemed a lot more ominous/dark, and almost repulsive when showing the people's obsession with food.

But, the series feels more light-hearted and humurous, more reminiscent to the manga.

The animation doesn't seem as good as the OVA, but I still liked it.

I wish FUNi would've stuck to the original and made the Toriko x One Piece Collab episode 1, but this is truly the start of the series, so it only makes sense.

Looking forward to more, keep up the good work FUNi!

OP was okay, ED was nice.

Urahara Out!!
Apr 15, 2011 7:19 AM

Jun 2007
I thought they moved pretty fast, already introducing characters that don't appear till like chapter 30 in the manga.
I also didn't like the cuts they made (smoking the tobacco root, drinking the bourbon etc.)

But the animation was nice, and other than the censoring it was pretty faithful to the manga, so I'll definitely keep an eye on this series.
Apr 18, 2011 1:09 PM

Jun 2008
MyCoding said:

Haven't read any of the manga but am not surprised. It's obvious they want to have young age as an audience.

So this guys "full course menu" is the "Pirate King", "Hogake" thing the other shounen have? For some reason this ambition sounds kind of stupid but whatever. I'm glad i saw some kind of bad guy in the end because this means that as the anime develops he might be fighting with some strong human enemies and not just level up brainless monsters.
I want some kind of plot and not just episodic kill the monster and eat.
Apr 18, 2011 8:48 PM

Nov 2009
Seriously! This show makes me wanna do a cookout, I feel soo hungry. XD
"What am I going to say to my superiors?!, Just tell them it tasted great!" LMFAO!
May 6, 2011 1:42 AM

Jun 2009
I haven't read the manga yet so I am ignorant of the differences but i like this anime. Toriko is too epically awesome XD it would be hilarious if he was stick thin w/all that power instead of ridiculously jacked. They get so poetic when they're talking about food and the drooling is out of control but i like the animation and I laughed a lot so I'm all in w/Toriko!
May 6, 2011 7:04 AM

Aug 2007
What exactly is this anime trying to say??

Gluttony is the ultimate???

I don't think I like this anime... at all...

Except Toriko half naked, there's nothing to keep me interested
May 6, 2011 8:01 AM

Mar 2009
Don't worry, there's much more half-naked Toriko to come. :P
May 15, 2011 7:08 PM

Mar 2010
Nice looking jello :D

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Mar 10, 2012 8:04 PM

Dec 2010
1/10
damn lame and childish, perfect for lil kids
at least the animation's better than ep1
「J>K>W」
事実。
Aug 25, 2012 4:16 AM

Dec 2010
Nice episode, an ok OP and great ED. And there seems to be some seeds of a story in the background, so Toriko might turn out to be something more than just anime which makes you go insane if you watch it while you're hungry :D
Nov 28, 2012 12:55 AM

Feb 2008
Because adding blood makes a show more mature. This isn't any more childish than One Piece and Naruto. The only bad thing is the fact that they made a 25 years old guy into a young boy, like they don't know their source, or maybe wanted a younger protagonist as a tag along kid.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Nov 28, 2012 10:26 AM

Aug 2011
ZetaZaku said:
Because adding blood makes a show more mature. This isn't any more childish than One Piece and Naruto. The only bad thing is the fact that they made a 25 years old guy into a young boy, like they don't know their source, or maybe wanted a younger protagonist as a tag along kid.

That moments where you realize Kotatsu is 25 years old.

Holy shit, would have never thought that haha.
Feb 22, 2014 12:22 AM

Jun 2011
So this is the censorship everyone has been talking about? That really sucked, but whatever, I still enjoyed it. The first half was meh, but the second half was pretty good.

The OP sucks, I didn't like it, the "Guts, Guts Guts, Guts Guts" was pretty annoying. ED song and OST are decent enough.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 20, 2018 11:58 AM

Jul 2017
As to being this is my first time watching Toriko, I was really confused why episode 01 was a crossover with One Piece ep 492? Is this like a remake of an original Toriko or...

But i'm glad I decided to pick up Toriko again because this anime is starting off really good. I died at this scene in particular :

THE SIZE OF THE ONIGIRI LOOKS MAD DELICIOUS
❤/(≧ x ≦)\〃☆

Νεχ ποσσυμ τεχυμ ωιωερε, νεχ σινε τε ❤/(˃ᆺ˂)\❤

Jun 12, 2019 4:34 PM
Apr 2016
Well, seems like this episode was the original introduction. Sure enough, their world is really really bizarre and interesting. So, Toriko can without an issue take out a level 8 beast. He's strong.
Oct 11, 2022 7:58 AM

Apr 2013
So I had seen this story already in the pilot episode, I feel like this one was better though.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toriko Episode 5 Discussion

Game_Master - May 3, 2011

21 by PlasticRobot »»
Oct 28, 2023 8:36 PM

Poll: » Toriko Episode 3 Discussion

EvilSynner - Apr 19, 2011

29 by PlasticRobot »»
Oct 27, 2023 1:29 PM

Poll: » Toriko Episode 38 Discussion

Cetais - Dec 27, 2011

11 by Frippy_ »»
Apr 13, 2023 7:25 AM

Poll: » Toriko Episode 101 Discussion

IntroverTurtle - Apr 22, 2013

16 by nightjasmine »»
Mar 2, 2023 4:18 AM

Poll: » Toriko Episode 147 Discussion

SilentTruth - Mar 29, 2014

42 by Gator »»
Jan 16, 2023 3:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.