Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 12, 2008 7:18 PM

Sep 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode kinda dragged on, though, it was kinda painful to watch Ravalo treat Claes that way. Especially when Henrietta and her brother got clubbed with his walking stick. I'm glad he's out of the picture. x.x

Damnit! Don't die without my permission!
Aug 27, 2008 12:23 AM

Jul 2008
Am I interpreting it right - he was silenced for trying to leak the story to the media.
Sep 3, 2008 8:52 AM

Apr 2008
^ Yeah I thought Jean had had him killed, possibly by his own girl.

And not much to say, can't knock the writing though.
Nov 3, 2008 8:45 AM

Aug 2008
eh, i didn't care as much for this girls story as i did the last one. bored me really, though i am interested in knowing for sure why her trainer was killed, the assumption is obvious but can't say for sure yet!

Nov 17, 2008 6:12 AM

Jul 2007
Piroko said:
it was kinda painful to watch Ravalo treat Claes that way.
Eh? Besides being an effective teacher, I think he was actually the most compassionate among the handlers. He was the only one among them who cared enough to defect from the Social Welfare Agency.
Feb 13, 2009 9:58 AM

Nov 2008
It was a little slow but it was interesting to know why Claes never goes out on the missions. But, that's all I'd have to say...
Nov 27, 2009 7:17 AM
Jul 2009
Yuunagi said:
Piroko said:
it was kinda painful to watch Ravalo treat Claes that way.
Eh? Besides being an effective teacher, I think he was actually the most compassionate among the handlers. He was the only one among them who cared enough to defect from the Social Welfare Agency.

I agree, Ravalo didn't treat Claes that badly, he always took her fishing and he talked to her, and he did seem more compassionate compared to the others.
Nov 29, 2009 7:34 PM

Mar 2009
Ravalo seemed more like a father figure than a brother, especially the scene where he's giving Claes advice. As tough as nails as he was, his conscience finally got the better of him, and sadly he paid the inevitable price.
Feb 16, 2010 6:06 PM

Dec 2009
I liked the ending when they started the vegetable garden. It was odd at parts but I liked this episode. Still I wonder if an episode will pull me in or not. Pretty close.
Such junk...
Apr 28, 2010 2:16 PM
Jan 2010
I agree with Iszumi that Ravalo is more of a father figure. Its interesting to see how different each handler is. I enjoyed the episode a lot and for whatever reason each episode goes really quickly for me. Doesn't drag at all.
Aug 30, 2010 3:21 PM

Jun 2009
That was really sad and depressing episode. Too bad Ravalo was killed, I really don't like Jean. >:(
Mar 13, 2011 6:27 PM

Aug 2010
Jrittmayer said:
I really don't like Jean. >:(
Feb 13, 2012 2:34 AM

Sep 2011
Sucks that she has no master anymore. :(
Mar 22, 2012 4:56 PM

Nov 2011
Better than the other episodes, this one was actually pretty interesting =D. Jean didn't have to kill him, but I guess that is how this works, you can't quit because you have too much info on them now. So if you leave, you will get in an "accident".

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Jan 30, 2013 1:54 PM

Jan 2012
interesting to see why she didn't go out on missions whilst Ravalo was kind of harsh, i felt he wasn't exactly mean, just being a good teacher, and its not like she was affected emotionally from it, this is why I think they can get away with giving them the tough love sorta treatment, whilst this back story wasn't as good as the last, still interesting to watch and I didn't miss not having any action
Aug 26, 2013 6:16 AM

Apr 2010
Sucks how it turned out but I feel like Ravalo should have seen that coming :/

Jan 17, 2014 2:39 PM

May 2012
Interesting to have some more focus on this girl as well, but yea the pace is still rather horrible!
Jul 13, 2014 8:31 PM

Jun 2014
I feel sad for Claes. :/
Oct 18, 2014 9:13 AM
Jun 2013
I thought we were going to have another jean with raballo but in the end he was actually a nice guy. So kind he was going to actually tell what horrible things this agency was doing. Guess he had to be killed. It also seems the brainwashing wipes away selective memories since it was done twice to claes. Though it makes me wonder why they just dont do a full brain wipe then. I mean two of the other girls still have memories of their past.
Oct 21, 2014 3:31 AM

Aug 2013
That was heavy. I feel so bad for Claes. Ravalo seemed like a nice guy but couldn't take the atrocity the agency was doing to the kids so they had him killed. Now Claes is some kind of guinea pig >__<

When it comes to handlers, Ricky's really unlucky.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Dec 30, 2014 3:40 PM

Jul 2009
Ravalo was a good guy, poor Claes, in his way he cared about her, now she is used in tests =/
Aug 26, 2015 11:30 AM

Jan 2012
how can a loli wield and shoot a VP70 .

May 1, 2016 10:36 PM
Sep 2015
wtf with timeline of events in this title, i dont get it, we already have Claes in glasses back in the title and either way this episode dont threat like this is flashback. same for episodes 1-2. this tilting me so hard
Aug 26, 2016 7:22 PM

Jun 2016
ClearPage said:
wtf with timeline of events in this title, i dont get it, we already have Claes in glasses back in the title and either way this episode dont threat like this is flashback. same for episodes 1-2. this tilting me so hard

It was going through all of the girls backstories so yes this was in a way a flashback.

Also I thought this was the weakest episode by far but still very interesting, just a bit cheesy and over the top at times.
Sep 20, 2016 2:25 PM

Sep 2014
blackfeather_58 said:
Am I interpreting it right - he was silenced for trying to leak the story to the media.

Yep, I think so as well. By raising Claes he realised he couldn't put up with this ethically and quit. Having the right morals cost him his life...and left Claes as a test subject for improvement of cyber bodys. Why is every story more depressing than the other? :[
Oct 15, 2016 6:02 PM

Sep 2013
I think Ravalo started out with a much harsher attitude towards the girls than the one he had when he left. Initially, he was only doing the job so he could get back into the MPs. He even told Claes that he didn't care about her at all (not a very "fatherly" thing to do). But, as he spent more an more time with her, he began to see her as a person and his heart basically melted. He realized that what he was doing was wrong and that caused him to leave and to try to leak the story to the media.

Definitely a flawed hero character. He started out pretty much as rotten and uncaring as the rest, but redeemed himself in the end.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Mar 16, 2017 4:45 AM

Feb 2016
Damn... A good man left the show too soon. And to think, his own student was responsible. Heartless bastard.

Episode 5 and without fail, there are a few who think the episode is boring. Which is quite interesting given how few the comments are. I am in fact enthralled with each episode, never been bored. As far as character interactions go, I am digging the relationships between the handlers and their respective cyborgs. Especially the difference between Gisiupe's approach and Jean's.

I guess we all have very different tastes.

If I had to describe a disappointing series of boring episodes, hmmm, I'd probably say something like Arslan, Cross Ange, Assassination Classroom, Natsume Yuujinchou etc.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Jul 5, 2017 1:37 PM

Jun 2013
Talon184 said:
Definitely a flawed hero character. He [Ravalo] started out pretty much as rotten and uncaring as the rest, but redeemed himself in the end.

Well, at least he tried, yeah. I guess if he had succeeded with the leak, we wouldn't really have a show to speak of, or it would be very different.

I'm not gonna defend his abusive behavior, but he did have a point about Henrietta needing to learn gun safety. It's actually kind of amazing that she hasn't accidentally shot someone so far.

AllenVonStein said:
how can a loli wield and shoot a VP70 .

They're cyborgs ya dunce
Sep 20, 2017 2:44 PM

Jul 2016
an alright backstory, wish that some things were more touched up on in detail but i can't expect explanations to be spoonfed with gunslinger girl. claes looked a little angry doing the body tests, not sure if she actually was but it's quite regrettable that she has been reduced to do this after ravalo got killed. i prefer her without her glasses.
Dec 20, 2017 10:55 AM

Nov 2016
Too bad for Raballo, think his relationship with Claes was the most moving one so far, even tho it wasn't perfect at least he tried to treat her like a human. Unfortunately it was his compassion which costed him his life in the end.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 18, 2019 6:50 AM

Dec 2013
This episode made me sad, didn't expect that Claes is the only girl without handler. Nevertheless, although Ravalo might be alil harsh towards Henrietta and Guine/Jean he protected Henrietta form the jammed gun. I feel bad for Ravalo tho and Claes forgot her, maybe bcs of brainwashing?

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Aug 15, 2019 3:25 AM

Oct 2012
I get a feeling that it's not an accident :P

At least Claes is much more stronger girl right now
"Signature removed"
May 30, 2021 5:40 AM

Mar 2020
she got a hobby now, but at what cost...
“Life is a constant process of dying.”
Jul 26, 2022 12:57 PM

Jan 2020
Claes might have it worst of all the girls, sheesh. They just test the limits of her body every week. If she breaks, she breaks. They put her back together and have her do it again.

I did like that she clapped back when Henrietta accused her of being lonely. It takes all kinds of people, let them do what they want and stop trying to have everyone live the same way.

Everyone episode seems to get more and more interesting, I'm really liking this series.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Nov 16, 2022 9:57 AM

Jul 2015
Rip Ravolo, certainly the most compassionate mentor out of the bunch but still sad for Claes there at the end.

Nov 25, 2022 5:46 PM
Mar 2019
" He's Dead " way to let someone down gently.
Jean has no moral compass.
Claes's back story was Good.
Jul 14, 2023 7:34 AM

Aug 2019
Man there's just something about older anime that hits different lol

Pretty sure Ravalo was silenced by Jean right? Overall I think this episode was alright, though it did feel like it was starting to drag on just a little bit. Not sure how I feel about the OP yet though :/ The actual like first bit of it sounds just kinda bad imo. I'm curious does it sound awful to anyone else or is that a problem with where I'm watching it? I have to know lol the rest of the OP sounds fine though and I think it's pretty fitting
Sep 11, 2023 7:36 PM

Dec 2022
This episode was pretty depressing with Claes being wiped of her memories with Raballo and ending up as a testing Guinea Pig.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Piroko - Jun 12, 2008

51 by Dripz2012 »»
Apr 17, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Episode 1 Discussion

Piroko - Jun 12, 2008

48 by Dripz2012 »»
Apr 17, 5:45 PM

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

whalegatorz - Jan 21, 2010

69 by maki_evergarden »»
Feb 3, 10:19 AM

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Episode 11 Discussion

blackfeather_58 - Aug 27, 2008

45 by maki_evergarden »»
Feb 2, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Piroko - Jun 12, 2008

58 by maki_evergarden »»
Jan 24, 8:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.