Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 5, 2011 12:34 AM
May 2009
Wait, so the anime DVDs are cheaper? Too bad that I'm not buying them, 'cause there hasn't been a lot of anime that catch my attention. Except maybe Summer Wars because it's freakin' awesome.

RE: FUNimation ~ Based on the replies to this thread, I'd wager that this sale is at least fantastic for this company. I hope that they'll choose some great anime to license and diversify the voice acting range. Even within the cartoon industry, there has been the same voice actors which can be awfully repetitive.
Apr 5, 2011 1:46 AM

Jan 2011
As a Stock Investor, I am thrilled they sold, but not to thrilled since I don't invest in their losing shares lol, but hopefully they will begin rising again, so I may throw money their way. I will be paying better attention now after I do some research on their strategies. Does anyone have any idea of KIDE: 4kidentertainment I've been wanting to throw money into that lately in the hopes of them generating another cashcow of "Pokemon" like proportions.
Be humble or be humbled.
Apr 5, 2011 2:15 AM

Jun 2009
What?

llxwarbirdxll said:
SOLD LIKE THE WHORES THAT THEY ARE.

QFT!
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Apr 5, 2011 2:23 AM

Nov 2008
MrBattosai said:
As a Stock Investor, I am thrilled they sold, but not to thrilled since I don't invest in their losing shares lol, but hopefully they will begin rising again, so I may throw money their way. I will be paying better attention now after I do some research on their strategies. Does anyone have any idea of KIDE: 4kidentertainment I've been wanting to throw money into that lately in the hopes of them generating another cashcow of "Pokemon" like proportions.

if you scroll down the news page a bit, you will find this story.

They have lost their biggest franchise (Yu-Gi-Oh) and have a potential lawsuit staring them in the face, so they are now on life support. I imagine that the shares would be dirt cheap right now, but there's a good chance of them going bust, so it's probably not the best idea to invest in them.

As for this story, meh. It won't make any difference over here in the UK.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Apr 5, 2011 2:30 AM

Apr 2009
funimation sold to fuknimation

whats the diff
Apr 5, 2011 2:40 AM
Apr 2010
Redfoxoffire said:
diezle said:
well as a true anime lover i would like to say a few things...

1) what?
2) if you really want to improve sales, get better voice actors. Japanese seiyu's really put funimation to shame

Get better ears. FUNimation's dubs tend to be very good.

indeed, many of my fav dubs are done by them
Apr 5, 2011 3:44 AM

Nov 2009
I personally don't like buying DVDs/BRs cause they take up to much space. One standard series is usually divided into too many of them.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Apr 5, 2011 3:48 AM
Apr 2011
ARXLaevatein said:
alchemist11 said:
Redfoxoffire said:
Seeing as it's only in English, as you pointed out, does that even count as Americanized? Americanization occurs when a licensing company makes edits to the actual content, but since Afro Samurai was clearly intended to be the way it is, that doesn't really fit the bill.

Okay, that wasn't the greatest of examples. But of the animes I've seen (or attempted) that Funimation licensed, that was the most blatant. Other's that I've seen would be Samurai Champloo and Shaman King.

Also, when I say Americanisation, I don't mean just terms, spelling or grammar, but incorrect translation to suit the American audience. Such as using "bastard" for teme. Teme is means "you" but with an exclamation. And so forth. I haven't seen European English subs use bastard for teme.

That sort of logic leads to complete and total transliteration. Which is a horrible way to translate anything, because that makes things hard to read. Anything hard to read leads to breaks in reading concentration. And that's not the way to go about translating anything, since the goal of any competent translator is to translate in a way that results in a completely smooth end result. The very literal way of translating teme leads to more problems than using bastard!

The sort of logic does not have to lead to "complete and total" transliteration. When a work is translated, adequate respect to the original language style should be paid. Often, much of the essence and appeal of the original work arise from the exact use of language. When we are exposed to Japanese anime, and by extension the culture and the history, wouldn't it be somewhat interesting to adapt a little to their language style, just temporarily? Wouldn't such adaptation assist our personification into the characters in anyway? I recall reading works that portray stories about African-american individuals. Having an international background, those gibberish spellings were bloody hard for me to understand, but nonetheless I was forced to appreciate to a fuller extent the experience of those individuals. Similarly, when it comes to reading translated anime/manga, I would say some patience is expectable from us, instead of the arrogance to require everyone else to adapt towards us.

Still, some other comments pointed out that Pokemon, Naruto and such are Americanized most heavily. I think the Americanization of that group is justifiable, considering they are most viewed by younger audience, who might be still learning English language themselves. A foreign version of English probably won't enhance their experience with the animes much.
Apr 5, 2011 4:27 AM
Nov 2008
CG said:
I personally don't like buying DVDs/BRs cause they take up to much space. One standard series is usually divided into too many of them.

'Individuals' are only released by Bandai Entertainment, and that's only for their Blu-Ray releases.

FUNimation makes use of the fatpack/slimpack idea for standard series', wherein which 3-12 discs are stuffed into a case (making use of the inside of both covers and 'flaps', which hold a disc on each side) that's the equivalent to 1-3 DVD cases in width. FUNi hasn't released individual volumes for a good many years now.

Argyll said:
When a work is translated, adequate respect to the original language style should be paid. Often, much of the essence and appeal of the original work arise from the exact use of language.

Leaving in as many Japanese words as humanly possible is hardly called translating. Subbing out those words for appropriate English words, called 'localisation', is not 'Americanisation'.

And Naruto? Americanised? I'm not a fan a fan of the anime by any means, but Naruto is anything but Americanised.
no-thanksApr 5, 2011 4:33 AM
Apr 5, 2011 4:53 AM
Jan 2011
PepperedHam said:
Yay for them, now give us the live action Beck movie.

If you want to watch the beck live action it should be up on dramacrazy.net!!
Apr 5, 2011 5:08 AM

Jan 2008
Onibokusu said:
At $13 for a S.A.V.E. Collection? $23 for a 13-episode Blu-Ray collection? $20-30 for a 26-episode DVD collection? Sure is a luxury purchase.

Not exactly sure what a S.A.V.E. collection is but where do you buy anime? o.0 I can't really find any that cheap.
Apr 5, 2011 5:19 AM

Feb 2010
llxwarbirdxll said:

nuff said.
Apr 5, 2011 5:48 AM

Mar 2010
*sips tea* How terribly exciting I:

*irony*
Apr 5, 2011 6:12 AM

Jun 2010
DrRoboto said:
$24 million in an all cash transaction

an all cash transaction

all cash

...Wh--What?

and I am also thinking the same thing
Apr 5, 2011 6:20 AM

Jul 2009
Argyll said:
The sort of logic does not have to lead to "complete and total" transliteration. When a work is translated, adequate respect to the original language style should be paid. Often, much of the essence and appeal of the original work arise from the exact use of language. When we are exposed to Japanese anime, and by extension the culture and the history, wouldn't it be somewhat interesting to adapt a little to their language style, just temporarily? Wouldn't such adaptation assist our personification into the characters in anyway? I recall reading works that portray stories about African-american individuals. Having an international background, those gibberish spellings were bloody hard for me to understand, but nonetheless I was forced to appreciate to a fuller extent the experience of those individuals. Similarly, when it comes to reading translated anime/manga, I would say some patience is expectable from us, instead of the arrogance to require everyone else to adapt towards us.

Still, some other comments pointed out that Pokemon, Naruto and such are Americanized most heavily. I think the Americanization of that group is justifiable, considering they are most viewed by younger audience, who might be still learning English language themselves. A foreign version of English probably won't enhance their experience with the animes much.

Unfortunately, what you say doesn't work in the world of professional literature translation if the end result is a spelling, grammatical, and otherwise structural mess? For instance, Seamus Heavey's translation of Beowulf is probaby the most popular translation of Beowulf, and for good reason. Where other translators tried to adapt everything into prose, he kept the original poem format. Which would fit what you're looking for. However, he doesn't keep some of the more complicated kennings, nor does he keep any of the archaic forms of Old English. As he puts it in the introduction to Beowulf, "I came to the task of translating Beowulf with a prejudice in favour of forthright delivery. I remembered the voice of the poem as being attractively direct, even though the diction was ornate and the narrative method at times oblique." His goal was to keep it a clear and easy translation first and foremost, and his work became the most popular, as a result. In fact, you'll find this holds true in the majority of popular translations.

With this in mind, it's impossible to say that leaving in the most literal translation doesn't work. They lead to more dead ends than a more of a creative translation. Japanese is a language that's very much built on context, so it's the job of translators to take advantage of that context to form clearer sentences. In fact, I'd even argue that a more liberal translation will lead to a better appreciation of the original language than a very literal translation will. In this case, liberal usage of teme will tell someone that it's a word that can be translated in many different ways depending on context, and as a result, they'll come to appreciate Japanese, the contextual language, more so than if the literal translation was used.
Apr 5, 2011 7:21 AM

Sep 2009
jix said:
Funimation is bought by the people of Funimation, ok lol
that was indeed funny.
Apr 5, 2011 7:25 AM

Dec 2008
Could this make a difference?

FuckAni will always be FuckAni? Only God Knows...
Apr 5, 2011 8:08 AM
Nov 2008
memorieswithin said:
Onibokusu said:
At $13 for a S.A.V.E. Collection? $23 for a 13-episode Blu-Ray collection? $20-30 for a 26-episode DVD collection? Sure is a luxury purchase.

Not exactly sure what a S.A.V.E. collection is but where do you buy anime? o.0 I can't really find any that cheap.

S.A.V.E. stands for 'Super Amazing Value Edition', it's an even cheaper line than FUNi's 'Anime Legends' value editions.

Amazon, and Rightstuf.com. Both sites provide pretty cheap anime. No one buys at the RRP price any more.
Apr 5, 2011 8:24 AM

Nov 2010
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

No matter which anime I watch, the dubs always seem very strange and somehow, 'unreal', so to say the least, to me. Not to mention that they don't follow the original most of the time, in addition to censoring (and localizing, too).

Well, anyway, there really isn't much of a difference, whether the company is sold or not.

Apparently,
jix said:
Funimation is bought by the people of Funimation, ok lol

'Nuff said.
"Love is power. Give it to another and you will bring bliss. Friends, criminals, strangers, and even yourself. All is reborn when you forgive, love, and understand."
Apr 5, 2011 8:40 AM

Jun 2008
llxwarbirdxll said:

This^ I couldn't agree more!
Apr 5, 2011 8:55 AM

Jun 2009
funimation bought by themselves wow well at least everything is the same that explains the new version of the Funimation channel
Apr 5, 2011 9:54 AM

May 2008
This is how I see it.

The guy most in a position to understand the true nature of Funimation's prospective future would probably be it's CEO, right. If Funimation was in epic decline with no profit future it seems like he'd want less financial dependence on the company. The fact that he outright bought it makes me feel pretty good about the situation there.

Weather any of you here personally like their releases or not everyone should be able to see that a company whose purpose is to supply anime fans the option to own BR and DVD sets of their favorite Japanese shows in both Japanese and English is deserving of some respect, or at the very least civility.

I've read every post here and I can't believe some of the fail. Taking pride in personal selfishness? Where's the anime supporting that virtue "anime fan"? Others here are pretty damn awesome though.

Reading all the posts here is almost like reading an anime script. Company in transition, future undecided, sides or chosen, battle ensues, idiot appears for comedy scenes, turns out to be a brainless enemy to the company. Gets defeated by the team of heroes do to their superior intellect. Show doesn't get a definitive ending (shocking right).
Apr 5, 2011 10:15 AM

Jul 2008
Are you referring to a particular show?
Cause it sounds like some sentai like Anime with no definitive plot that's has plenty of comedy :D

Apr 5, 2011 10:39 AM

Jun 2008
jpem said:
you guys make it seem like buying anime is an obligation.

i have some boxsets but for/ the most part i watch on my computer.

No one is saying that. The main argument wasn't that you shouldn't be proud of the fact that you're cancer to anime. I really don't care if you're a pirate, just don't go around parading how happy and cool you are to be one.

IresuOtoko said:

No matter which anime I watch, the dubs always seem very strange and somehow, 'unreal', so to say the least, to me. Not to mention that they don't follow the original most of the time, in addition to censoring (and localizing, too).

Why am I always surprised to see these kinds of ignorant posts? Ugh. Will people ever learn?
Apr 5, 2011 10:45 AM

May 2008
R_asuka said:
Are you referring to a particular show?
Cause it sounds like some sentai like Anime with no definitive plot that's has plenty of comedy :D

lol Wow, you're so right, it does sound like that. Alas, no, I'm actually referring to this forum. If you read it one post after another is starts to resemble an anime script. Very entertaining, but all just my imagination.
Apr 5, 2011 11:04 AM

Nov 2008
man all cash
Apr 5, 2011 11:17 AM
Dec 2007
Onibokusu said:
memorieswithin said:
Onibokusu said:

S.A.V.E. stands for 'Super Amazing Value Edition', it's an even cheaper line than FUNi's 'Anime Legends' value editions.

Amazon, and Rightstuf.com. Both sites provide pretty cheap anime. No one buys at the RRP price any more.
Yes, I saw Welcome to the NHK for dirt cheao, among others. I've been hearing the package is too cheap and that some people got bad discs which had to be replaced. But I guess that always happens, plus considering how dirt cheap it is that's a risk I'd take.

Apr 5, 2011 11:34 AM

Sep 2010
mhm couldnt watch funimation youtube chanel.. now i can yay..
same for veoh yay..
and life goes on ..
Apr 5, 2011 1:40 PM

Jun 2009
IresuOtoko said:

Well, anyway, there really isn't much of a difference, whether the company is sold or not.

it's 2011, either get with the program or get your head examined.
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Apr 5, 2011 1:52 PM

Jul 2008
I've never understood Funimation haters...

Anyway it's nice to see Funimation's still around, the title made me scared like they were bought by Viz or something. >_>
Apr 5, 2011 2:30 PM
Mar 2011
wtf
Apr 5, 2011 2:31 PM
Jul 2018
They're taking a big chance doing this, I hope they license carefully, one wrong anime could mean...dun dun dun!
Apr 5, 2011 2:45 PM

Jun 2010
Funimation... buys itself...?

As long as the company keeps going strong, I have no problem with it. If they are able to produce and sell their products (animes get successfully serialized) at faster paces than before due to expansion of workforce and company assets, that's even better. I don't like waiting for a whole year or more for my anime to get completely serialized...
Apr 5, 2011 2:47 PM

Jun 2010
Everyone shut the hell up, because this situation is nothing but great news for funimation!

Read the first blog entry to see what I mean:
http://animecornerstore.blogspot.com/

Here's a little more info:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Navarre-Corporation-Announces-pz-4254776672.html?x=0&.v=1

Gen Fukunaga is the smartest guy in the R1 anime industry, and funimation is going no where but up! (A little)
artist-retiredApr 5, 2011 2:53 PM
"The R1 Anime business is a cruel and shallow financial trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Apr 5, 2011 3:32 PM

May 2009
is that the reason why episodes 5-26 was removed on youtube of OHSHC?
mukuro-sama♥ hibari-sama♥fon-sama♥
My top wanted things:
1. Yato umbrellas!!
2. Mukuro's left eye
3. LEON!!! (KHR)
Apr 5, 2011 3:43 PM

Feb 2010
im more surprised that funimation is only worth 24 million dollars. dragonball z probably made over half of that for them. anyway back to the topic if funimation went under i mean its over for the next generation of anime watchers. come on are you guys gonna rely on Viz? don't kid me. i don't watch funimation dubs but i buy their DVDs that have the english sub and HQ picture. the dub is just a plus.
Apr 5, 2011 4:40 PM

Dec 2009
I hope this isn't a wrong turn.
funimation dubs are awesome and I wouldn't want some of my favorite VA to be out of a job.
Apr 5, 2011 7:45 PM

Sep 2010
alexcampos said:
I said there are few people who can SAY the things I say, too bad everyone has to be a MORALFAG and "PRETEND" they play by the rules.

Except this isn't an issue of morals, it's an issue of capitalism. I buy anime, not because stealing is wrong (that's another issue entirely), but because there is a direct correlation between the money I put in to the industry and the material that continues to come out. I really don't give a shit if you torrent anime illegally, but if you honestly believe that there would continue to be anime created at all if everyone did that, you have a screw or two loose. Here's an analogy to help everyone understand.

Imagine your little sister opens a lemonade stand. She is selling cups of lemonade for 50 cents each. Your mom, because she's an economist, and also just a weird parent in general, decides that after the first pitcher of lemonade, your sister will have to buy the ingredients from her with the money she earned from sales.

The process of making lemonade looks like this: your mom takes the money given to her by your sister, goes to the store, and buys lemonade. She buys all different kinds! The expensive, high-budget kinds are sometimes good, but occasionally there will be one or two that are a little cheaper, but still taste incredible! But remember, she buys the lemonade in powdered form. You could eat it if you want, but you sure as hell won't get the same experience as drinking it ice-cold through a straw, on the porch, in the shade, away from the summer heat.

With the lemonade now in the pantry, your sister brings in her earnings and inspects the lemonade. She looks at all sorts of things - how easy it is to make, what the people at the store thought of it, how much money she thinks she can make selling it - and picks a few kinds to make into something that you can actually drink. She pays your mother and goes outside to the street corner with her sign, and does her best to sell enough that she can buy more and still have some extra left over to take to the fair next weekend. Neighbors walking by start buying, and the cycle goes on.

Now, you really like the lemonade, but you are utterly incapable of mixing it - all you can do is drink it. So you have a couple options. You can either buy drinkable, high-quality lemonade from your sister for the very agreeable price of 50 cents; you can buy it from your mother, in powdered form, for a much higher price, and at some cost to the quality of the drinking experience; or there is a third option. You happen to have some friends who are former ninja chefs. They are always looking for ways to both hone their skills and increase their recipe repertoires. They have made you an offer: in exchange for allowing them to drink some of the lemonade themselves and copy down the ingredients of each particular package of lemonade, they will sneak into the pantry, download it - I mean, take it off the shelves, and mix it in secret for you. Some of your ninja chef friends are incredible lemonade makers. In fact, you have often found that you prefer the subtle nuances of their mixing method over your sister's. Since you don't want to learn to make lemonade yourself - which is understandable, it's a difficult process - you are forced to turn either to your ninja chef friends or your little sister for the lemonade you crave. What do you do?

It should be fairly obvious, but I'll explain. Each package of lemonade stands for a single story, franchise, concept - whatever you want to call it. The store your mother goes to represents the actual creators of any given anime - in fact, any work of fiction at all. Your mother represents Japanese production studios. When she buys a package of lemonade, she actualizes an anime. Once the lemonade reaches the pantry, your little sister - in this case FUNimation, but in a broader sense, overseas distributors - has to decide which flavors/series she wants to make/license. She doesn't have enough money to buy them all from your mom, so she picks the best ones she can based partly on how she thinks they will sell and partly on what the people who drink the lemonade - we, the consumers - want. The ninja chefs are illegal fansubbers, and while they do a lot of very good work for the promotion of lemonade that might otherwise never be drunk, they offer the opportunity to drink all the lemonade without paying. All the lemonade, ladies and gentlemen, and that is the problem. People like me drink some lemonade from the ninja chefs. If we like it, we buy it next time our little sister has it at her lemonade stand. Maybe we drink it again, if it was really really good. Maybe we just reminisce about how good it tasted the first time. Sometimes, we will even buy a flavor we have never tried before. Maybe we heard good things about it, or it our friend recommended it to us, or it simply looks delicious. Whatever the case, when we buy flavors we like, the money we spend goes to our sister; and from there to our mom; and our mom looks at the amount of money our sister spent on each kind of lemonade, and next time she goes to the store she buys kinds that are similar. With our money. Our 50 cents. Which is now in the cash register at the store.

Our friend Alex here doesn't make his sister happy. He doesn't make his mom happy. He doesn't make the store-people happy. His mom comes home to find the kitchen in shambles, the little sister crying, and the douchebag older brother sitting there, laughing, drinking free lemonade out of a coffee mug, proclaiming for all the world to hear that he doesn't give two shits about whether or not his sister has enough money to make lemonade because he gets it for free. In fact, whenever she sees a ninja chef, she gets scared and calls the police - they are, after all, breaking the law - and so Alex thinks it would be convenient if she was unable to ever make lemonade again. Alex fails to notice the connection between his money and the lemonade in the pantry. He can only see that his money would be going to his sister, and doesn't believe her worthy of it. He is so incredibly dense that he has never paid even a penny to his sister, and by extent, his mother. He will act bewildered, angry, and victimized when, if things don't change, the pantry ceases to be filled with lemonade, and refuses to see how his own actions played a role in the depletion of the lemonade.

The point of the story is this: if you like the lemonade, you'll buy it where it is available. If you don't, you won't drink it, period. It's how capitalism works. Things can't be free if they cost money to make, and everything costs money to make, so really, nothing is free. Your sister is sometimes annoying, and you might not like the way she makes some of her lemonade, but for god's sake, she's doing her best, and she's doing it for you. So don't be an asshole, because if everyone was an asshole, no one would get any lemonade at all.
Apr 5, 2011 8:29 PM

Jul 2009
kingpolyphemus said:
tl;dr

Apr 6, 2011 10:11 PM

Jan 2009
alexcampos said:

Very true my good friend...I am no troll...

My comments are honest opinions, too bad if you can't agree with them.

You can always choose to ignore them and move along. My objective is not to cause rage, rather DISCUSSION.....once again, too bad people are too easily offended and can't accept other view points.

I don't think your comments have any ability to expand on discussion, rather it's you parading your opinion around trying to be a special snowflake. Of course you will disagree with this, that is blatant.

I don't see why everyone has to bring morals into this, it's just used as pointless justification for either side. It honestly doesn't matter, and I don't see why everyone has to get so defensive and try to make their opinions seem more then they are. It's cool, you don't buy anime, we get that, no need to try to make yourself seem bigger then you are.

I don't buy anime either, but that by no means makes me special. I just happen to not do something that others do, that's it. Sigh...zzz
Apr 7, 2011 1:20 AM

Jan 2009
Hopefully, now that they got their sale out of the way they can finally get the right's to the 4th season of One Piece. They really need to give us some info on that as the silence on the matter has me a bit worried.

As others have pointed out, Funimation is really important for us anime fans in the US since they are pretty much the only company releasing quality shows on a consistent basis. The dubs are almost always good and the only one's that I can think of that I didn't enjoy was One Piece and Black Butler, but subs are always included so they give you an option.

Onibokusu said:
memorieswithin said:
Onibokusu said:

Yeah, if people would actually look into it, they would realize how cheap anime really is especially when it come to Funimation as they make the shows available at a very economic friendly price point. The sites you mention are basically the only ones I use for anime. With Right Stuf, you can get shows at 40% their retail price during company sales or 46% if you have a membership. Pretty amazing deals considering how much our fellow anime fans in Japan have to pay.
Alchemistx4Apr 7, 2011 1:55 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» 'High Card' Gets New Episode

DatRandomDude - Mar 25

3 by Memore »»
2 hours ago

» '30-sai made Doutei dato Mahoutsukai ni Nareru Rashii' Gets Compilation Movie in 2024

DatRandomDude - 10 hours ago

5 by Memore »»
2 hours ago

» Netflix Produces 'Hanma Baki vs. Kengan Ashura' Anime Movie

Hyperion_PS - Mar 22

7 by malvarez1 »»
5 hours ago

» 'Kami no Tou' 2nd Season Announces New Staff, Supporting Cast, Theme Songs

DatRandomDude - Mar 22

2 by malvarez1 »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Houseki no Kuni' Concludes Serialization

Vindstot - Mar 25

30 by GL_ »»
Yesterday, 7:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.