Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
#1
Apr 4, 2011 2:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 15
Could somebody explain this to me? I dont get it...
 
#2
Apr 4, 2011 2:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 7013
I think "Helvetica Standard" is supposed to be the title of that grim reaper segment which followed straight after it. SoreMachi did something similar in one of its episode by adding "Mr poor man" 4-koma segments in the actual episode.

As for the title itself, the "Hel" in "Helvectia" could be be a pun on hell, while "Helvectia" was what Switzerland used to be called. "Helvectia Standard" sounds like a time zone and the Swiss are famous for their timekeeping, so it could be a weird roundabout way of saying "time to go to hell" or "time to die."

Or I could just be over-analyzing it.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
 
#3
Apr 4, 2011 3:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 573
If you want know what the joke was about...

"KY (空気が読めない人, Kuuki ga Yomenai Hito, a person who can't read the situation)" from Helvetica Standard. It was the most popular word of the year 2007 in Japan.

 
#4
Apr 4, 2011 7:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 30
How about the last bit with Hakase and Nano, regarding the Akutagawa Prize?
 
#5
Apr 4, 2011 7:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 573
Neutral_Eyes said:
How about the last bit with Hakase and Nano, regarding the Akutagawa Prize?

It's the most prestigious literary prize in Japan (kinda like Pulitzer's Prize in the U.S.), but Hakase probably deserves a Novel Prize for inventing one of the most sophisticated humanoid robot, Nano.

I think the point of the joke is that Hakase is too young to know about these prizes...

 
#6
Apr 4, 2011 10:22 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 18122
I automatically went to the font, Helvetica. It's the standard font used in Switzerland, and has been for 50 years.

[EDIT]

Yep, the font used for 'Helvetica Standard' is, indeed, Helvetica.
Modified by no-thanks, Apr 4, 2011 11:56 PM
 
#7
Apr 5, 2011 11:58 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 132
I don't know if it's the actual content, but, Helvetica Standard is a manga Sasahara is reading in one of the manga chapters.

So, i suppose they are animating it.
 
#8
Apr 10, 2011 6:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 104
Onibokusu said:
I automatically went to the font, Helvetica. It's the standard font used in Switzerland, and has been for 50 years.

[EDIT]

Yep, the font used for 'Helvetica Standard' is, indeed, Helvetica.

Yeah, I always forget to Google that, but it does sound like a font. Might have even used it once.
 
#9
Apr 24, 2011 10:26 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 4845
FOE-tan said:
As for the title itself, the "Hel" in "Helvectia" could be be a pun on hell, while "Helvectia" was what Switzerland used to be called. "Helvectia Standard" sounds like a time zone and the Swiss are famous for their timekeeping, so it could be a weird roundabout way of saying "time to go to hell" or "time to die."

Or I could just be over-analyzing it.
Actually, researching it a bit more Switzerland is actually officially called Confoederatio Helvetica which translates to the Swiss Confederation (that also clears up my question about Sora no Woto since I always wondered why the country they were in didn't seem based on a real country while Roma was a real-life empire).

Anyway yes, quite a lot of overanalyzing IMO.

 
Apr 28, 2011 12:10 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 10
The point of the joke was 空気よめない like stated earlier.

edit: The subs should of probably had a note in for that
 
Aug 5, 2011 3:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 37
unasdoop said:
The subs should of probably had a note in for that


it is "should've" not "should of"
 
Aug 7, 2011 1:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 315
What was up with the "serious" Helvetica Standard in Episode 18? That caught me totally off guard.
 
Aug 7, 2011 5:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 514
RedMage23 said:
What was up with the "serious" Helvetica Standard in Episode 18? That caught me totally off guard.

From what I understand, Helvetica Standard builds its theme around spirits and the afterlife. All skits were lighthearted until that episode. I loved ep. 18's segment, it was surprising in so many ways.
 
Aug 7, 2011 6:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 315
Helvetica Standard is one of the many things that puts Nichijou ahead of your run-of-the-mill SOL comedy. I don't know why, but something about it just clicks in my brain.
 
Aug 7, 2011 6:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 65248
I like most of it.. it's a nice segment.
 
Aug 7, 2011 10:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 748
My favorite so far has to be the angel girl with the toast. That was pretty amazing.

I like the song that plays in the background for most of the Helvetica Standard skits. It's very... charming.
 
Aug 8, 2011 6:17 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 13
 
Aug 8, 2011 11:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 315
EEEEEEHHHH?

Why does it have its own article? It's part of Nichijou, isn't it?
 
Aug 9, 2011 1:22 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 4845
RedMage23 said:
EEEEEEHHHH?

Why does it have its own article? It's part of Nichijou, isn't it?
I'm unsure, Is HS just a omake series of the Nichijou manga or is it an actual 4-koma from the same writer?

 
Aug 9, 2011 1:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 635
Onibokusu said:
I automatically went to the font, Helvetica. It's the standard font used in Switzerland, and has been for 50 years.

[EDIT]

Yep, the font used for 'Helvetica Standard' is, indeed, Helvetica.


when i saw this topic the font was all i could think about.
i once watched a documentary on the font even. xD
 
Top