Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 3, 2011 7:58 AM
Dec 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Cute anime. But at the same time very sad.
4/5 from me :)
Apr 3, 2011 8:04 AM
News Team
꙳•❅*°⋆❆.ೃ࿔*:・*❆

Apr 2010
I feel sorry for her..

The grandmother pretty much p-ssed me off..

4.3/5

Submit News × GuidelinesPart of U × Color Your Night × Limelight × Headline˙⊹܀⁺☁︎˚˙⊹⁺.˙⁺
Apr 3, 2011 8:14 AM

Mar 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

No, this is NOT an anime about a yandere middle school girl!

"Die, you b*tch" - Minchie's favorite line...

OMG! What are you doing to kawaii Ohana-chan's face?

Anyway, compared to True Tears, studio P.A. Works did a good job of adding plenty of humorous moments to keep the viewers interested into the show. At the same time, I was surprised how main characters were so serious about their job. Is this an anime lecturing us about ryoukan management? Hmm..

The background music was just as solid. No OP theme in this episode, but the OP/ED album was already released a long time ago, and the ED theme animation was pretty nice with lots of movement!!

Of course, I'm also looking for some good development of the romance story as the season progresses. :)

Apr 3, 2011 8:38 AM
Mar 2008
Just the anime I was looking for, and if it's really 26 episodes, it's gonna be a nice ride.
Apr 3, 2011 8:49 AM

Aug 2008
so what genre is this?
Apr 3, 2011 8:52 AM
Mar 2008
Slice of life, I guess.
Apr 3, 2011 9:13 AM

Jul 2008
draker said:
Just the anime I was looking for, and if it's really 26 episodes, it's gonna be a nice ride.

+1

I don't usually give score to an anime before completing it but this one seems to be a great one...26 ep/good art/good story etc...Kaleido Star-like but this was just the first ep so I'm waiting for the rest :) anyway loved it!
the anime industry need more anime like this!
Apr 3, 2011 9:22 AM

Aug 2009
Beautiful animation and backdrops here, and while the story is slightly generic, it looks like it could turn out to be a great coming of age story.

The 26 episode length (if true) does surprise me, but considering this is PA work's anniversary project, I can see why they are not going to hold back.

Looks like this could be a fun slice of life series to follow.

Kuro4735Apr 3, 2011 6:53 PM

Apr 3, 2011 9:29 AM
Jul 2018
My grandmother is like this one.
Apr 3, 2011 9:38 AM

Oct 2009
Awesome voice cast. Omigawa Chiaki is playing a badass for this show. Her voice makes my ears bleed, in the best way.

I remember reading from someone, that in PVs and stuff, it was implied that the main character got an abortion? With the stuff she was saying about babies, and how she prefers the stork to the cabbage patch, it could be likely. I'm gonna stick with this theory for now.

Also I'm putting my yuri goggles on for this show.

I'm expecting good things from this show, the first episode was pretty good. Will have to wait for a few more episodes, after they introduce all of the main cast, before I can get a real sense for the show though.
Apr 3, 2011 9:49 AM
Dec 2009
encouraging opinions
Apr 3, 2011 9:54 AM

Aug 2010
Many thing happen.... I think this is a good anime, it will show us that life is not easy.... maybe :D
Apr 3, 2011 10:08 AM

Jun 2009
I was expecting this to be comedy anime. While it had funny moments, it's quite serious and I love it. ^^ Ohana has very weird family. But I can see why her grandmother and mother don't get along - they are total opposites of each other! Minko is another awesome character. Looking forward to more episodes. :)
Apr 3, 2011 10:14 AM

Aug 2008
LOVE THIS!!!!!
Apr 3, 2011 10:32 AM
Aug 2010
This is going to be one hell of a boring anime.......>_< While the animation and music is pretty good, I can't see the story having a climax at all. So, if i have to watch 26 episodes of girls working in a shop while being slapped and screamed at then sorry, this is not my cup of tea.
Apr 3, 2011 10:34 AM
Jul 2018
it's the first episode so i hope it turns out better, at least the art is somehow good, the comedy was entire slown and felt kind out of place, the drama...wait.. drama.. well that was.. no words for this, awfull

aniway is PA, and the mc is somehow nice , the music felt great along with the nice pacing so well, gonna watch this (and in general.. its the best from all the episodes 1 of this new season), aniway 3/5
removed-userApr 3, 2011 10:39 AM
Apr 3, 2011 10:44 AM

Feb 2009
I love this show. The first episode was as good as I expected, and I was looking forward to this show the most for this season.

Ohana has an interesting personality. I'm loving her. She can easily be one of my favorites.

And the self-discovery genre is always good to watch.
Apr 3, 2011 10:45 AM
Sep 2009
Wow, that was a great first episode. Ohana instantly hooked me, and the rest of the cast was just as great. On top of that, the animation was amazingly fluid and the art was beautiful, I swear it was film quality in its visuals. Will definitely be watching this.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Apr 3, 2011 10:51 AM

Sep 2010
Seems to be a very interesting show. Really nice animation. 5/5.
Apr 3, 2011 10:59 AM

Apr 2010
Amazing first episode. The animation with the sky and the scenery was just breathtaking and pure awesome. Also I think Ohana is a very cute character and Itou Kanae was a great choice for her voice actress. This anime is going to be one of my favs of this season. 5/5
Apr 3, 2011 11:19 AM

Apr 2010
This a pretty harsh start and i feel sorry for Ohana.
At first i thought only her mother was irresponsible for sending her of the her grandmother with whom she herself has a bad relationship but after seeing the behavior of the grandmother i have to say that she is irresponsible as well.
In a way it's understandable that she treats her granddaughter of a disowned daughter with some hostility but why others as well.
I can understand that you let them do some work most kids have to do some form of chores at home but slapping them in such a way and blaming them for a others mistake is going to far.
Then there was the way of how the cook treated Minko which i also found pretty outrages, i have worked at many jobs and can tell this if someone treats you in such a way tell them to do it themselves you should not let yourself get treated in such a way.

I think Ohana is a very interesting character she seemed cheerful and tries to make the best of the situation.
I also think she has some great values and she was even doing pretty much all the household at her mothers place from what i could tell.

Then there is Minko i think she should speak up more instead of letting her get treated in such a way i feel sorry for her and i wonder what her story is.
She also seemed pretty interesting.
And i think this will be a great Anime.
Apr 3, 2011 11:21 AM

Aug 2009
Well it was nothing special, new Cinderella interpretation where instead of fairy godmother she will earn respect through hard labour... and I hated the song in the titles... but little True Tears references were kinda enlightening. I was actually expecting Ohana to sing that Shinichiro has a cockroach on him...
Apr 3, 2011 11:36 AM

Jan 2011
I enjoyed it alot i liked how it was kinda a harsh way for her to start her new life,but at times it still had some type of heartwarming feeling,i sense alot of relationship building between all characters if this is 26 long series which is a good thing :)
Apr 3, 2011 11:40 AM
Mar 2010
Thank you for slapping me, Grandma. It felt great.
Apr 3, 2011 11:49 AM

Jun 2009
Wow I really enjoyed this. Surprise that this is going to have a 26 episodes.
I really like Ohana, she's really cute and pretty interesting. And Minchi to :D

Apr 3, 2011 11:53 AM
Apr 2010
I did enjoy the episode but DAMN I got pissed off at her Grandma and Minko. Just wanted to punch both of them...
Apr 3, 2011 11:55 AM
Jun 2010
Ousto said:

Also I'm putting my yuri goggles on for this show.

When Ohana met Minchi (or was her name Minko?) I felt the same way. Or at least maybe they'll become better friends. It's usually the 2 that fight that become the closest.

It seems lately I'm getting into alot of slice of life shows. There's something about Ohana that I can really relate to. Her wanting a fresh start, she seems like the type that sees good in everyone, and her determination. I really liked how she didn't just cry and give up. Interesting start and looking forward to the next ep.
Apr 3, 2011 12:07 PM

Nov 2009
I like the atmosphere of the show, but I think some parts of it will be a bit annoying. I like the scene with Ko-chan and Ohana.

I don't really like Minchi or the grandmother, but I think I will like both of them as the series progresses. The grandma seems to be a bitch, but I think my opinion of her may change, depending on the future episodes.

The animation at the end of the episode (which may be the OP) was very good, and I like the music used throughout the episode.

Overall, it's a good start to the series, but I wonder if I'll end up really enjoying this anime, or if it'll end up being a bit disappointing. It's too early for me to tell :S
Apr 3, 2011 12:12 PM

Apr 2008
Awesome base for a story.

But I dislike how it makes me feel bad for having a pretty pampered childhood.
Apr 3, 2011 12:14 PM

Aug 2009
I really enjoyed the first episode. I really like Ohana's character.
I'll be looking forward to the next episode. And I really hope that grandmother of hers gets slapped across the face in one of these episodes.
Apr 3, 2011 12:19 PM

Aug 2010
Beautiful animation and a great main character so I already love this show. It also has a mix of everything from romance to drama to comedy so it should be great.
stevewiess01 said:
Of course, I'm also looking for some good development of the romance story as the season progresses. :)

Yeah, let's hope Ko gets some more face time as well and they don't just throw him out. Also, that image is just so great. Ito Kanae as the lead was a good choice.
Apr 3, 2011 12:23 PM

Aug 2010
Seems like this'll become one great anime. I got my hopes up for this one.

Apr 3, 2011 12:23 PM

Jul 2010
Apr 3, 2011 12:27 PM

Aug 2009
This show seem pretty good and interesting. And yeah, the atmosphere; I like it. Also, great artwork, I must say.

Heh, is it just me or doesn't this show seem slightly sexist? At least this very episode. xD
Apr 3, 2011 12:31 PM

Nov 2008
Characters are good, the art and animation is really good, I'll await the next episode.

The Grandmother is too harsh, I wasn't expecting abuse in this.

Apr 3, 2011 12:51 PM

Dec 2010
Doesnt ohana kinda look like a variation of taiga? xD

anyway, i feel sorry for her, and that grandma deserves to get slapped too one of these episodes, all in all, it seems pretty good and will be an enjoyable slice of life anime
Apr 3, 2011 1:01 PM

Jan 2008
This was the first time in my life I've wanted to beat up a woman...an elderly (factitious) woman at that. I'd rather sleep on a park bench like a bum than want to stay at an inn that treats their employees less than shit. But that's just my opinion on people having to be able to take care of themselves before taking care of others.

Apr 3, 2011 1:09 PM

Aug 2010
reminded me of summer wars in some ways. If it is really 26 episodes its gonna be awesome
Apr 3, 2011 1:10 PM

Nov 2010
Yes!!!!!

Few things kinda got me angry though
First thing's first: the grandmother. Wow never have I felt so much hate after just one episode.
Secondly, they had the confession so early in the series (and it's rumoured to have 26) only for Ohana to leave in the next few seconds. I mean, I get that they may be trying to set up something here but that was pretty sudden and I felt that it could've been done better.

Overall, I think I will enjoy this, as I DID enjoy the first episode. Ohana was pretty cute, but found Minko to be just down right irresistable.
Apr 3, 2011 1:15 PM

Jan 2010
This reminded me of Cinderella in a way.

But, holy fucking shit. Great first episode! I really didn't expect it to be this good, and theres 26 episodes too? Even though it's too early to say this'll probably be one of my favorites this season. 5/5.
Apr 3, 2011 1:23 PM

Dec 2008
I just want to hold Onohana's mother, grandmother, and Minko down and slap them all until their noses bleed!! I am SO SAD for Onohana...

All that aside, this anime really grabbed my attention. I'm looking forward to more episodes.
Apr 3, 2011 1:25 PM

Aug 2010
Hoppy said:
The Grandmother is too harsh, I wasn't expecting abuse in this.

Yeah, I was got off guard not by the fact that she was strict and told Ohana she didn't like her but because she whacked her and Minko in the face. Old fashioned, I suppose, very old fashioned.
Apr 3, 2011 1:39 PM

Jan 2010
I was expecting great things from this and they lived up to it 100%

Great animation, beautiful scenery, and the story felt exactly how I wanted it to be..a soap opera.

So far the two shows that I've watched this season have been excellent..now lets see how the rest of them pan out.
Ok™
Apr 3, 2011 1:41 PM
Apr 2010
Drama, Humor, and Slice of Life. This season's going to be even better than I expected.
Apr 3, 2011 1:50 PM

Sep 2010
didn't really like the voice for OP and ED. Oh well
Story was somewhat rage-inducing

PhantomMoon said:
Doesnt ohana kinda look like a variation of taiga? xD

I agree.

Apr 3, 2011 1:56 PM

Jan 2011
I know it's only the first episode, but I'm pretty sure this will end up being my favorite show of the season. The voice cast, the animation, the art, the music, the story, the characters, I'm in love with it all. Plus, I hate when slice of life series stop at only 13 episodes, so I'm extremely happy that it will be twice that. (=
Apr 3, 2011 2:02 PM

Aug 2010
That art. That main character. That first episode. 5/5.
Apr 3, 2011 2:03 PM

Jul 2010
Great start to the show.

Beautiful animation, fitting OST and maybe even insert songs as the show goes along, interesting characters, and a nice SoL story. This is exactly what I was expecting from this show and it's exactly what I got. Let's hope it continues to be impressive. And 26 episodes? That raises my hopes for this show.

Despite being 16 and thrown all over the place, Ohana dealt with things really well. Almost too well. So that partial breakdown of her situation getting to her at the end of the episode was perfect.

Her mother is just craazaaay. I'm surprised Ohana doesn't resent her. Maybe she does and she doesn't really show it? Too early to guess.

Ko is such a typical guy. "I like you!" out of nowhere and she's just, "Eh? Huh? Uh.." so out of the blue and she doesn't know how to respond. Ahh, isn't that how these things always go? I loved that.

Minko and the grandmother both seem like characters that a lot of people are going to hate, but I like them both. Nako's quiet personality is interesting. She reminds me of a character from Sola whose names escapes me at the moment...

Ahaha, I've rambled enough. Needless to say, I liked this first episode. I hope it doesn't go downhill or something. ^_^;;

*Edited spelling errros. Apparently my caffeine-hyped self doesn't proofread very well.
IiliaApr 3, 2011 3:22 PM
Apr 3, 2011 2:05 PM

Feb 2008
blahrgness said:
But I dislike how it makes me feel bad for having a pretty pampered childhood.
Tell me about it, heh. Being shipped off to your stern grandmother at 16 because your mom wants to elope with her older boyfriend...

I think we have a winner, at least so far, for best show this season. I already care about Ohana and the show didn't lose my attention once, something I can't say for the rest of the season's show (with the possible exception of Nichijou, which was rather peculiar).

I was a bit put off by the 26 episode length but I don't think I'll regret watching this.
Apr 3, 2011 2:06 PM
Apr 2010
The humour is quite lame, and Kissuisou looks like a sanctuary for every kind of weirdoes. As great and lifelike the first half of the episode is, as horrible the second. I have to say, that it's Ohana's mom that I abhor the most, sending her daughter under the "care" of such a person that she knows her mother is. Anyway, I'm going to give it a try, with one of greater art among the recent shows and rather interesting characters.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

metalsnakezero - Apr 17, 2011

256 by kirA_-_ »»
Apr 22, 1:00 PM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 25, 2011

327 by SlammyHammy »»
Jan 31, 8:45 PM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ImNotLulexiaa - Sep 18, 2011

110 by Lazulite »»
Jan 11, 11:08 AM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Jrittmayer - Sep 11, 2011

120 by Lazulite »»
Jan 11, 10:40 AM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zimno - Sep 4, 2011

122 by Lazulite »»
Jan 10, 12:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.