Forum Settings
Forums
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
 
#1
Apr 3, 2011 4:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 4386
According to Anime!Anime!, 4Kids Entertainment has announced their earnings from the fiscal 2010 year. Their yearly sales were $14.5 million, down 58% from the last year and the net loss was $27.2 million. 4Kids has raised substantial doubt about its ability to continue as a going concern considering the large deficits and the lawsuit against TV Tokyo and ASATSU-DK over Yu-Gi-Oh!'s license. The license income of Yu-Gi-Oh! made up 36 % of 4Kids' total sales.

4Kids stated that TV Tokyo's claim was baseless, but 4Kids had proposed a one million dollar payment early this March to show their "good-faith" to the Japanese companies. TV Tokyo has been demanding $4.7 million of the unpaid royalties. 4Kids currently owns $4.2 million of cash and $7.1 million of securities, but they mentioned the possibility of bankruptcy if they lose the license of Yu-Gi-Oh.

Source: Anime!Anime!
Previous topic: 4Kids Gets Sued By Japanese Producers For Illegal Transactions of Yu-Gi-Oh
Modified by Naruleach, Apr 3, 2011 10:57 PM
 
#2
Apr 3, 2011 4:53 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 38
at least they paid for now
 
#3
Apr 3, 2011 5:05 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 347
Trying to wiggle out of it, are they?
 
#4
Apr 3, 2011 5:09 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 914
bankruptcy if they lose the license of Yu-Gi-Oh? Byenara 4kids
 
#5
Apr 3, 2011 5:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 5511
Tatanium said:
bankruptcy if they lose the license of Yu-Gi-Oh? Byenara 4kids


thought they do suck at leats they have been giving anime for years
 
#6
Apr 3, 2011 5:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4623
AHAHAHA EAT A DICK IT'S WHAT YOU DESERVE
 
#7
Apr 3, 2011 5:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1864
4Kids should license Naruto.
 
#8
Apr 3, 2011 5:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1028
BigSimo said:
AHAHAHA EAT A DICK IT'S WHAT YOU DESERVE


This ^^
 
#9
Apr 3, 2011 5:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 65254
Well, they should find ways to overcome this then.
 
Apr 3, 2011 5:53 AM
Mahou Shounen

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 2005
 
Apr 3, 2011 6:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 115
While they do get their just desserts for this whole Yugioh scandal, it's sad seeing them go down. Pokemon was the first anime I ever watched and it's sad seeing the company go through so much shit over the past few years.

But I guess that's life. *Shrugs*
 
Apr 3, 2011 6:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 72
It was about time


Why do people trust each other?
In the end, you're on your own.
 
Apr 3, 2011 6:24 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 7063
lulz, 4kids, you funny people.
 
Apr 3, 2011 7:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 7802
Oh 4Kids, why can't you just go out of business like everyone else already?
 
Apr 3, 2011 7:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 511
Karma is a bitch, ain't it 4Kids?

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

 
Apr 3, 2011 7:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 342
Doesn't matter how much they suck (and they suck fairly hard) it's still a bit sad to see the demise of one of the larger anime companies in North America.

Also, as Sakata-san said, yall do remember watching Pokemon as kids, right? That's the work of 4Kids right there. While it's true they take serious anime and edit them til they're on the level of Spongebob Squarepants occasionally, they also once made something that became a part of all our childhoods, so I think they should be mourned for their falling, rather then mocked.
 
Apr 3, 2011 7:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 3001
Thanks for the Pokemon 4Kids, bye bye~
 
Apr 3, 2011 7:57 AM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 18131
Supergrunt8 said:
BigSimo said:
AHAHAHA EAT A DICK IT'S WHAT YOU DESERVE


This ^^


Oh no, they marketed children's anime to children. Oh, the humanity!
 
Apr 3, 2011 7:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 5958
QysteiN said:
4Kids should license Shugo Chara.


fixed

People are going to loose their jobs and I think that is sad. I bet you wouldn't be cheering if the good job you had so many years that you enjoyed with a friendly work environment just gets ripped from you you wouldn't be going "Yay my company deserves it!!!111"
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character thats for sure!"
 
Apr 3, 2011 8:05 AM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 18131
Roloko said:

People are going to loose their jobs and I think that is sad. I bet you wouldn't be cheering if the good job you had so many years that you enjoyed with a friendly work environment just gets ripped from you you wouldn't be going "Yay my company deserves it!!!111"


Of course they deserve it, I mean they made minor edits. Minor edits I tells ya! No studio before them ever did tha- oh wait...
 
Apr 3, 2011 8:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 674
This is also a bit short-sighted by TV Tokyo. They may get a bunch of money now but erase one of their few clients for the future. Again one step back from international anime marketing.
 
Apr 3, 2011 8:13 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 2149
I saw this coming ages ago. Yugioh IS the only thing they have left. As far as ruining animes like One Piece and such (and then Funi took it), I loved their Pokemon, and I'm sure everyone was upset and angry about Pokemon USA swiping it from under them and giving the roles to other people. That's very upsetting as it WAS our childhood. That wasn't fair. If they still had Pokemon, maybe they'd be okay..

But think of the people like Dan Green, an AMAZING voice actor, that would lose their jobs. It's not funny, and it's not a good thing. You can look at it as "OH YAY NO MORE SHITTY DUBS." but uh...I'm sure Viz media has ruined its fair share of dubs, as has Funi at some point. So 4Kids isn't the only one if the radar for that.

I would hate to see someone like Viz take over Yugioh if something like this happened. The sheer thought of Yuri or Johnny being in ANY Yugioh anime makes me want to puke.

If the company does go out of business, then so be it. We still have our memories. It'll be upsetting, but there's not much anyone can do about it except buy their DVDs and what not, which probably isn't going to happen for much longer.
 
Apr 3, 2011 8:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 5958
Onibokusu said:
Roloko said:

People are going to loose their jobs and I think that is sad. I bet you wouldn't be cheering if the good job you had so many years that you enjoyed with a friendly work environment just gets ripped from you you wouldn't be going "Yay my company deserves it!!!111"


Of course they deserve it, I mean they made minor edits. Minor edits I tells ya! No studio before them ever did tha- oh wait...


Oh god I remember the Card Captor Sakura dub I was curios as to what it sounded like so I watched it online and I was like wait wtf?? I lold @ Yukito====>Julian xD and did they just make Kero sound like a Mexican?? I wish the subbed-only DVDs were not out of print cause I'm not going to spend 1,000 + dollars on E-bay just to get the series. I can understand why they edited out the teacher/student relationship, but why did they have to take away the Sakura/Shaoran (sp?) relationship too I thought that was one of the positives of the series was watching them grow closer.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character thats for sure!"
 
Apr 3, 2011 9:13 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 5183
didn't know people still liked yu-gi-oh enough to buy its stuff.
 
Apr 3, 2011 10:16 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 144
l
BigSimo said:
AHAHAHA EAT A DICK IT'S WHAT YOU DESERVE


Couldn't say better.
 
Apr 3, 2011 10:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 781
Sakata-san said:
While they do get their just desserts for this whole Yugioh scandal


*cough*deserts*cough*

I agree with what Roloko. No matter what they did, there are employees in the company who are just doing as they are told. Maybe they even like anime uncut but that's not what their boss wants. Good luck to those people when layoffs start happening.

 
Apr 3, 2011 10:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 544
dtshyk said:
Tatanium said:
bankruptcy if they lose the license of Yu-Gi-Oh? Byenara 4kids


Yayz
"------and she said.
If you accept everything, you won't be hurt. Everything you disagree with, everything you hate, and everything you can't acknowledge. If you can accept them without resisting, then you won't be hurt. If you deny everything, you will be hurt. Everything you agree with, everything you like, and everything you can acknowledge. If you can only deny it, then you'll be hurt."
 
Apr 3, 2011 10:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 36
So if 4Kids loses the licence to YGO, who do you think will take over? Funimation?
 
Apr 3, 2011 11:03 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 63
The edits wasnt the fault of the employees but of the bosses. Employees are only executing orders.

So its sad they they might lose their job. Well all know that 4Kids is not very good but its still sad.
 
Apr 3, 2011 11:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 2494
Roloko said:
Onibokusu said:
Roloko said:

People are going to loose their jobs and I think that is sad. I bet you wouldn't be cheering if the good job you had so many years that you enjoyed with a friendly work environment just gets ripped from you you wouldn't be going "Yay my company deserves it!!!111"


Of course they deserve it, I mean they made minor edits. Minor edits I tells ya! No studio before them ever did tha- oh wait...


Oh god I remember the Card Captor Sakura dub I was curios as to what it sounded like so I watched it online and I was like wait wtf?? I can understand why they edited out the teacher/student relationship, but why did they have to take away the Sakura/Shaoran (sp?) relationship too I thought that was one of the positives of the series was watching them grow closer.


Carcaptor Sakura wasn't even licensed by 4Kids...
It was a Nelvana property...
The company that currently has the rights to distribute and market Bakugan and Beyblade.
 
Apr 3, 2011 11:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 5958
FoxyRoxy said:
Roloko said:
Onibokusu said:
Roloko said:

People are going to loose their jobs and I think that is sad. I bet you wouldn't be cheering if the good job you had so many years that you enjoyed with a friendly work environment just gets ripped from you you wouldn't be going "Yay my company deserves it!!!111"


Of course they deserve it, I mean they made minor edits. Minor edits I tells ya! No studio before them ever did tha- oh wait...


Oh god I remember the Card Captor Sakura dub I was curios as to what it sounded like so I watched it online and I was like wait wtf?? I can understand why they edited out the teacher/student relationship, but why did they have to take away the Sakura/Shaoran (sp?) relationship too I thought that was one of the positives of the series was watching them grow closer.


Carcaptor Sakura wasn't even licensed by 4Kids...
It was a Nelvana property...
The company that currently has the rights to distribute and market Bakugan and Beyblade.

I knew that I was responding to the link they posted that lead to Nelvana's website =/
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character thats for sure!"
 
Apr 3, 2011 11:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 767
looks like the anime industry wants to choke itself to death
 
Apr 3, 2011 12:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 2494
Roloko said:
FoxyRoxy said:
Roloko said:
Onibokusu said:
Roloko said:

People are going to loose their jobs and I think that is sad. I bet you wouldn't be cheering if the good job you had so many years that you enjoyed with a friendly work environment just gets ripped from you you wouldn't be going "Yay my company deserves it!!!111"


Of course they deserve it, I mean they made minor edits. Minor edits I tells ya! No studio before them ever did tha- oh wait...


Oh god I remember the Card Captor Sakura dub I was curios as to what it sounded like so I watched it online and I was like wait wtf?? I can understand why they edited out the teacher/student relationship, but why did they have to take away the Sakura/Shaoran (sp?) relationship too I thought that was one of the positives of the series was watching them grow closer.


Carcaptor Sakura wasn't even licensed by 4Kids...
It was a Nelvana property...
The company that currently has the rights to distribute and market Bakugan and Beyblade.

I knew that I was responding to the link they posted that lead to Nelvana's website =/


Oh... Good ^_-
 
Apr 3, 2011 12:42 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 603
I find that's it's going to be pretty bad if 4kids goes bankrupt...I mean sure their dubs do suck and they kill it by cutting out stuff but without companies like them that actually brought some anime over to America I never would have found anime like Yu-Gi-Oh, One Piece and Pokemon...anyway I don't even have the channel anymore because they switched from FOX over to the CW but I don't really want them to leave...lols the only anime I have left is Bakugan on T.V.....
 
Apr 3, 2011 1:47 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 3
I hope they do go bankrupt and there headquarters is set on fire.
 
Apr 3, 2011 1:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1149
As much as I dislike 4kids for all the "minor edits" they made to my favorite anime (taking out whole arcs, ridiculous accents, water guns!, you know little stuff) it is kinda sad to see part of my childhood go up in smoke.


Also just in case people didn't know, "shounen" is not KIDS anime. Shounen is targeted towards 13-18 year olds. I'm sick of it being called "kids anime".

That being said, 4kids getting their shit together and perhaps either making dubs of actual kids anime, or changing their names to 4youngadults would have been a preferable outcome to this imo.
 
Apr 3, 2011 2:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 674
TeamFortress2 said:
Also just in case people didn't know, "shounen" is not KIDS anime. Shounen is targeted towards 13-18 year olds. I'm sick of it being called "kids anime".

That being said, 4kids getting their shit together and perhaps either making dubs of actual kids anime, or changing their names to 4youngadults would have been a preferable outcome to this imo.


Wiki said:
According to Japanese law, the term "shonen" refers to "a person from the time they enter elementary school until the time they are 15 years of age"

refers to manga marketed to a male audience roughly between the ages of 10 and 18
The complete phrase literally means "young person's comic."

a young adult is generally a person between the age of 20 - 40, whereas an adolescent is a person between the age of 13 - 19
 
Apr 3, 2011 2:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 401
Well, MAYBE if 4Kids stop butchering anime and Al Khan or whatever gets his crap togetherthen MAYBE I just might tune in again. :/
 
Apr 3, 2011 2:38 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 621
this just reinforces my belief that the government should just nationalize these corporations... then we would get our anime and manga and not have to worry about all these companies spending all their time and money on petty lawsuits
"Forged in darkness with wheat harvested from Hell's half acre. Baked by Beelzabub; slathered with mayonnaise beaten from the evil eggs of dark chickens, force-fed to dogs by the hands of a one-eyed madman. Cheese boiled from the rancid utters of fanged cows. Layered with 666 separate meats from an animal which has maggots for blood."
ATHF
 
Apr 3, 2011 2:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 321
That's bye bye for the infamous censored mad 4kids. The only bad part is that those who work for them will now lose their jobs.
 
Apr 3, 2011 3:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 646
Couldn't happened to any other. They practicully ruined the English One Piece.

Thank god for Funi
 
Apr 3, 2011 3:20 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 1399
you were good, but it's best you take you're leave now
 
Apr 3, 2011 3:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 2664
Damn that sucks. Concerning the lawsuit, they'll lose a lot of money and probably go bankrupt for sure if they lose the battle.

On that note...I guess this was meant to happen since anime is getting pirated like crazy anyhow...

 
Apr 3, 2011 3:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 42
4kids bankruptcy? im okay with this
 
Apr 3, 2011 3:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 945
eat a bowl a of dicks 4kids thats what you get for ruining anime ya know thow they could make alot of money if they release a dual audio of pokemon with correct subs

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
 
Apr 3, 2011 4:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 107
who gives a shit if 4kids go bankrupt its not like they ever did anything good they only made good animes worse
 
Apr 3, 2011 4:24 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1
BlueCyanide said:
eat a bowl a of dicks 4kids thats what you get for ruining anime ya know thow they could make alot of money if they release a dual audio of pokemon with correct subs


I don't think they will, the majority of fans (and these are 5-7 year old kids who probably can't read subtitles well), in America Australia etc, could care less about dual audio dvd's of Pokemon. And why would parents want to end up paying more when they get 1 track for cheaper? That goes for the majority of their other licenses as well, the only people that do care about them are those purists, and most of them end up downloading or streaming the episodes subbed anyway.

I don't really care as much one way or another bout 4Kids POSSIBLE bankruptcy, but its a bit depressing to see the possible loss of many jobs of a major anime and license comapny, but 4Kids really hasn't had a good anime to market since YuGiOh and most likely never will again, I reckon Kahn just got out by the skin of his teeth.
 
Apr 3, 2011 4:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 2632
Onibokusu said:
Supergrunt8 said:
BigSimo said:
AHAHAHA EAT A DICK IT'S WHAT YOU DESERVE


This ^^


Oh no, they marketed children's anime to children. Oh, the humanity!
lolno
One Piece wasn't really a children's anime, but they turned it into one...

I'm glad to see them go because i hate stupid pointless unnecessary censors!
Modified by Gogetters, Apr 3, 2011 4:31 PM


 
Apr 3, 2011 5:01 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 18131
Gogetters said:
lolno
One Piece wasn't really a children's anime, but they turned it into one...

I'm glad to see them go because i hate stupid pointless unnecessary censors!


One Piece's core demographic is the 10-13 year range, the younger end of Shounen spectrum. One Piece is no where near the top end, 15-18, wherein a serial is considered near-seinen. One Piece is not seinen.
 
Apr 3, 2011 5:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 674
FinalForm said:
Waffocopter said:
*cough*deserts*cough*

Dessert: a dish served as the last course of a meal
Desert: A dry, often sandy region of little rainfall, extreme temperatures, and sparse vegetation

come on now

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/just-deserts.html
 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »